Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, agree to disagree on Cush. I think he's still very valuable to our team. And I was just looking at the FA OLBs, we could do what they did and pick up Erik Walden, dude's actually pretty good. Or Demarcus Ware is looking for work. Or like ppl are saying we could bring Barwin back, OR we could draft Watt in the first round and go Watt bros ftw. I'll miss Simon, but he's not really THAT GOOD.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
First piece I heard about FA visiting Houston

Quote:
Free agent OT Mike Remmers is visiting the Vikings on Friday.
He'll visit the Texans afterward if he's unable to strike a deal with Minnesota. Remmers can play both right and left tackle, but is probably more suited for the right side. The Vikings need all the offensive line help they can get, even after signing LT Riley Reiff on Thursday. Remmers, 28 next month, started all 37 games he appeared in for Carolina, including Super Bowl 50.

IIRC he was getting beat up alot and I think Von Miller ate his lunch

Remmers never made it out Minny (5 years, $30M)
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the draft picks this year:

Round 1, pick 25
Round 2, pick 57
Round 3, pick 89
Round 4, pick 131
Round 4, pick 142
Round 5, pick 169
Round 7, pick 243

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still plenty of guys in FA to pick up. I hate losing AJ, especially to the Jags. But, you knew he was going to get a huge payday.

They seem to always find a way to figure out the interior line so I'm not worried about it plus with Martin coming back next year too, it shouldn't be a need.

This should be JJoe's last year, right? I'm guessing they will look in the draft for someone. There is plenty of talent in the draft for a CB.

Reader is taking over for Big Vince but they could address this as well. Maybe they will try to bring in Poe on a short deal. Jonathan Hankins is there as well but probably can't man the NT spot. A name that nobody seems to be mentioning is Bennie Logan. I think he was more effective on the Eagles when they were in a 3-4.

Connor Barwin to fill in some depth? I wouldn't mind it. DeAndre Levy, I don't think he fits the 3-4 though. But, he is a great cover LB, supposedly.

For QB, roll with what they have, I guess. Sign McGloin?

Safety help. Now they need it unless they are going to try and move JJoe or Ice Kareem?

I think needs are:
OT
S
Offense Weapon
LB
CB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go get Vince young.

1. He can't be any worse than what we had last year
2. He will sell the heck out of tickets
3. He will single handily get us a MNF game

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
OzzyTexan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans are remaining stagnant at the moment. Is this because if we sign someone we risk losing comp picks next year? There seem to be plenty of interesting names still out there. Ive got my eyes on these guys:
Dontari Poe - Back injuries appear to have teams worried. I think it would be worth the risk on a 1-2 year deal. Drafted by KC when Crennel was HC so there is familiarity there. He could be looking for 8+ million/year which could be out of houston's price range.
Brandon Flowers - Also played for Crennel in KC and has been a good corner when on the field. Once again though injuries and concussions have left him riding the bench. I would love to bring him in on a 1 year deal.
Sebastian Volmer - Another guy who has spent plenty of time on the sideline due to injuries. He was with NE when BoB was OC. The OT market has been outrageous in FA. Guys are getting paid who have no business even starting in the NFL. Im glad Houston hasn't panicked so far. I would prefer they draft somebody but I really only like Bolles from Utah in this draft class. So we turn to a 33 year old RT who didn't play in 2016. I would like to see him brought in on a 1 year deal loaded with game incentives. Maybe he can give us even one decent season until Newton comes back. But he is really an unknown. He may be worse the Clark...
Shocked Shocked

While I'm here Ill just give my thought on the QB situation as well. I hope texans can find a way to get Romo. I would much rather us not give up any draft picks to get him. If he's a FA yes go sign him to a 1-3 year deal. Plenty of incentives for games played. In my opinion he is the best option at QB for next season. If he doesn't work out fine. Its not like we are surrounded by better QB options. As far as the draft at QB; I like Watson. Would I trade up for him? NO. Which likely means we have no shot at him. If he's there at 25 you run that card up and let him sit behind Romo for a year. The only other quarter back I like in this whole draft is Davis Webb from Cal. MVP of the senior bowl. He was impressive in that environment. Others who have been impressive like him, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Dak Presscot. Webb is a guy who I would love in the second round but I'm not sure he fall to the late second where we are picking. Texans QB room 2017 Romo-Savage-Webb or Romo-Watson-Savage
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We kept one Shocked
Quote:
Texans re-signed TE Ryan Griffin to a three-year contract.
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Jones signed a 2 year deal with San Fran.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Going along with OzzyTexan

To protect our potential comp picks, some players that have been released I hope we target:
- S Kendrick Lewis (BAL) (minimum deal) did ok here before + familiar with RAC's system
- CB Sam Shields(GB) (1 year, prove it deal) if he can beat concussions, he was domi nate once
- T Sebastian Vollmer (NEP) (2 years, $8M) Ozzy already mentioned him + makes too much sense not to offer him a deal
- CB Justin Gilbert (PIT) (2 year, minimish deal) has talent; maybe he could learn from JJo
- OLB / DE Connor Barwin (PHI) (2 years, $8M) c'mon on home, Connie!
- NT John Hughes (TB) (minimum deal) played for RAC in Cleveland IIRC
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the loss of Comp picks plays into anything then our front office is dumber than i thought

amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
if the loss of Comp picks plays into anything then our front office is dumber than i thought

I agree, seriously wtf are we doing?
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

I agree, seriously wtf are we doing?

Clearly, we are counting on the instant impact of the typical Rick Smith draft class. I mean can you imagine what our record would have been without the contributions of Fuller, Martin, Miller, and Ervin last year? Or maybe we can count on those guys stepping up their performance after a year in "the system" like Strong, Mumphrey, and Hilliard did last year. Only in Texans-world can the GM be extolled for his "brilliant" deal ridding the franchise of the $72 million albatross HE WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR for the mere price of a 2nd rounder and $37 million in sunk cost.

The best part of this offseason is that you can already see the seeds of our 4th #1 overall draft pick coming into view for 2018 or 2019 with a secondary featuring lil ricky's other breach of fiduciary duty with Kareem Jackson, an aging JJoe, mediocre Kevin Johnson and of course no safeties. Perfect timing for the arrival of offensive competency in Tenn & Jax which has been the only thing pushing us to 9-7 vs. 7-9 or 6-10 since O'Brien's arrival. 2018 should bring the departure of Hopkins to avoid the "what if's" AJ retired with, retirements of Cush & JJoe, and decline phase for Duane Brown and Lamar Miller. Clowney/Watt should keep us competitive, but both have lost seasons to injuries, and Mercilus is the only other defensive component who is really a difference maker. Sure, some defensive talent will be replenished, but in the 4 year cycle since our last trip to the NFL cellar, I count McKinney as the only other player looking at a 2nd contract and his coverage limitations have been put on display at this point.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just perusing the remaining NFL free agents and one jumped off the page. LB - Zach Brown. Dude was a friggin Pro Bowler last year, one of the fastest LBs ever at 4.44 and strikes me as a perfect rotational piece for us given the lack of mobility from Cushing and horrific coverage ability from McKinney. Could also fill the John Simon role as 3rd OLB. Dude had 149 tckls, 11tfl, 8 qb hits, 4 sacks, 4 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles for the Bills last season. Seems to me that we have plenty of holes to fill via the draft on the oline, secondary, and QB, so LBs going to end up some day 3 afterthought when we lost at least 2 games last year and plenty in seasons before because we don't have any sideline to sideline speed at LB. Raiders & Colts are courting him and may have a cleaner path to job security to offer, but it doesn't take a genius to know that Cushing is on his last leg and John Simon still saw plenty of snaps the past 3 years here in rotation. Could be holding out for a bigger paycheck or multiple years, but LBs market value is softer than ever.

LT - Ryan Clady is another as it's hard to imagine he'd be worse than Ryan Clark and even at 85% he's still got better legs left than Newton. Would be a bit risky to bring in another older injury prone dude, but this is a pretty rough year for tackles in the draft, so it might be a decent stopgap.

DT - Johnathan Hankins is a bit of a mystery, but supposedly his agent has convinced him he's getting a long-term deal at starting DT $ ($10 mil+), when he's really just a rotational guy with upside. But Dontari Poe just had to settle for a 1 year/$8 million deal with ATL, so I think we could steal Hankins if we threw 3 years at him (he's only 24). Fatty Wilfork was on the field soooo many plays last year, it is terrifying to think we are banking on Reader to soak all that up.

S - TJ McDonald - really has nothing to do with his on field skill as he'd instantly be the best safety we've had since Daniel Manning still had his wheels. Off field drug/dui is the issue here and he's probably looking at a few games suspension, but this d strikes me as a unit that can take on a guy in need of some straightening out. If not for the off field slip up, he'd be a top 10 FA IMO. Would go against McNair's MO, but we did bring in Aboushi last year despite some past drug issues (and I'll take a team oriented player with a slip up over a selfish egomaniac like Ed Reed anyday). BTW - Pretty sick of the hypocrisy since we have zero problem with roid abusers (even crappy one's like Max Bullough and James Casey).

It's bargain hunting time in Free Agency which is actually one area I think Rick Smith has been relatively competent.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down for a 4-12 season if it rids us of the front office and head coach and means we finally draft a QB

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
I'm down for a 4-12 season if it rids us of the front office and head coach and means we finally draft a QB

Same.

The fact that Rick Smith stupid self hasnt added anyone to this team yet makes me hate him more. Get rid of him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: