FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

Off Season thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 17031
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Off Season thread Reply with quote

Seems like we need a thread for random off season thoughts, ideas and so on


I'll start

Anyone else find it ironic that last year Kubiak gets his ring and this year Kyle Shannahan and Matt Schaub might get theirs.
_________________

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 5551
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not especially... Kubiak worked hard, but Wade's D (just like he carried the O here) carried them to that ring

Schuab is not really playing (so like Carr) he has a great view of a championship (maybe!)

Kyle was pretty innovative when he was here. IIRC he left to join his dad in Washington.... I think the Texans would have loved to keep him here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 43755
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently we turned down a Jamie Collins for Jonathan Joseph trade straight up. WTF is Rick Smith thinking? Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
canyon1


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 720
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the article as well and at first they wanted Nuk for Collins and that trade was not going to happen. At face value I was mad at the fact that we didn't jump at the chance to trade Joseph for Collins but it came out that Collins was becoming a problem in the locker room and is saying something because he was their best LB on that team. So why do we want someone else locker room cancer. He wont do anything for Cleveland and we will forget the name in two years.
_________________
My Teams
NFL: Texans
NBA: Pistons
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dsorc


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 2712
Location: Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
So apparently we turned down a Jamie Collins for Jonathan Joseph trade straight up. WTF is Rick Smith thinking? Confused

Honestly, I would have turned that down as well. I am okay with Clowney and Mercilus as our pass-rushing OLBs. John Simon has also done well at OLB. We had no need for Collins and CB is a position where depth is more important.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 17031
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
So apparently we turned down a Jamie Collins for Jonathan Joseph trade straight up. WTF is Rick Smith thinking? Confused

Honestly, I would have turned that down as well. I am okay with Clowney and Mercilus as our pass-rushing OLBs. John Simon has also done well at OLB. We had no need for Collins and CB is a position where depth is more important.


Clowney isn't playing OLB anymore
_________________

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dsorc


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 2712
Location: Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
So apparently we turned down a Jamie Collins for Jonathan Joseph trade straight up. WTF is Rick Smith thinking? Confused

Honestly, I would have turned that down as well. I am okay with Clowney and Mercilus as our pass-rushing OLBs. John Simon has also done well at OLB. We had no need for Collins and CB is a position where depth is more important.


Clowney isn't playing OLB anymore

You can call his position whatever you want. He was still mainly rushing from the edge. The point is we have 3 very good pass rushers in Clowney, Mercilus and Watt. If we need another pass rusher, it should be an inside rusher not an outside one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 43755
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
So apparently we turned down a Jamie Collins for Jonathan Joseph trade straight up. WTF is Rick Smith thinking? Confused

Honestly, I would have turned that down as well. I am okay with Clowney and Mercilus as our pass-rushing OLBs. John Simon has also done well at OLB. We had no need for Collins and CB is a position where depth is more important.


Clowney isn't playing OLB anymore

You can call his position whatever you want. He was still mainly rushing from the edge. The point is we have 3 very good pass rushers in Clowney, Mercilus and Watt. If we need another pass rusher, it should be an inside rusher not an outside one.


Collins is one of the most versatile linebackers in the league. We needed a linebacker who can cover and he does that. Not that we need pass rushers from the LB spot, but he can do that as well. Joseph is washed up and we still would have had Jackson, Bouye and Johnson. I believe the Collins to the Browns trade was before Johnson got his season ended injury so I cant predict him being hurt again.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 5551
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
So apparently we turned down a Jamie Collins for Jonathan Joseph trade straight up. WTF is Rick Smith thinking? Confused

Honestly, I would have turned that down as well. I am okay with Clowney and Mercilus as our pass-rushing OLBs. John Simon has also done well at OLB. We had no need for Collins and CB is a position where depth is more important.


Clowney isn't playing OLB anymore

You can call his position whatever you want. He was still mainly rushing from the edge. The point is we have 3 very good pass rushers in Clowney, Mercilus and Watt. If we need another pass rusher, it should be an inside rusher not an outside one.


Collins is one of the most versatile linebackers in the league. We needed a linebacker who can cover and he does that. Not that we need pass rushers from the LB spot, but he can do that as well. Joseph is washed up and we still would have had Jackson, Bouye and Johnson. I believe the Collins to the Browns trade was before Johnson got his season ended injury so I cant predict him being hurt again.


Y'all need to stop with this fallacy.

I can understand wanting Jamie Collins and yes he is as versatile as they come.

What does it tell you about JJo that the Patriots were willing to swap one of their BEST YOUNG players for him? IJS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4824
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the position that we're in right now. This is by far the best situation we've been in heading into an offseason in my opinion. We'll have Watt, K Jo, Nick Martin, Braxton Miller all returning (nice lil boost), AND (at least for next year) we've got our entire core locked up (with the exception of Bouye and a few role players like Simon, Griffin who I think can be replaced a number of ways if the market prices them out of range).
I expect us to fill out the OL in free agency because it's our most glaring need heading into the draft, and I think we'll find a way (either via franchise tag or a long term deal) to make sure Bouye stays at least one more season.

If we do those things, heading into the draft, this seems like the year we make some moves. Recently the Texans have been trending in the direction of trading up for fewer, better players (I think probably because the more draft picks we make, the more draft picks will inevitably not pan out bc all rookies will have a tough time making the team). Take Ervin for example. He may develop into a decent weapon for us, but would anyone be surprised if he didn't make the team this year? (he probably only made it last year due to his draft status) So where am I going with this? I think this might be the year we make a gigantor trade to go get liike a Deshaun Watson, or Mitch Trubisky, or Jamal Adams, or Malik Hooker.. or in other words, I think we're in position to package our picks together and go get pretty much any one player we want (especially considering we're only a few players away.. and we arguably have those players coming off of injury). I can't WAIT to see how this all plays out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 59118
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
I LOVE the position that we're in right now. This is by far the best situation we've been in heading into an offseason in my opinion. We'll have Watt, K Jo, Nick Martin, Braxton Miller all returning (nice lil boost), AND (at least for next year) we've got our entire core locked up (with the exception of Bouye and a few role players like Simon, Griffin who I think can be replaced a number of ways if the market prices them out of range).
I expect us to fill out the OL in free agency because it's our most glaring need heading into the draft, and I think we'll find a way (either via franchise tag or a long term deal) to make sure Bouye stays at least one more season.

If we do those things, heading into the draft, this seems like the year we make some moves. Recently the Texans have been trending in the direction of trading up for fewer, better players (I think probably because the more draft picks we make, the more draft picks will inevitably not pan out bc all rookies will have a tough time making the team). Take Ervin for example. He may develop into a decent weapon for us, but would anyone be surprised if he didn't make the team this year? (he probably only made it last year due to his draft status) So where am I going with this? I think this might be the year we make a gigantor trade to go get liike a Deshaun Watson, or Mitch Trubisky, or Jamal Adams, or Malik Hooker.. or in other words, I think we're in position to package our picks together and go get pretty much any one player we want (especially considering we're only a few players away.. and we arguably have those players coming off of injury). I can't WAIT to see how this all plays out.


I think Cleveland could be a trade partner. We've historically loved trading down. It would cost your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 59118
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, financially speaking you guys would save 15 million if you cut Brock next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 5551
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Also, financially speaking you guys would save 15 million if you cut Brock next year.


Not really.... his base is guaranteed as well as signing bonus.

If he is traded, we could save $10M because someone else would be paying base
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4824
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
I LOVE the position that we're in right now. This is by far the best situation we've been in heading into an offseason in my opinion. We'll have Watt, K Jo, Nick Martin, Braxton Miller all returning (nice lil boost), AND (at least for next year) we've got our entire core locked up (with the exception of Bouye and a few role players like Simon, Griffin who I think can be replaced a number of ways if the market prices them out of range).
I expect us to fill out the OL in free agency because it's our most glaring need heading into the draft, and I think we'll find a way (either via franchise tag or a long term deal) to make sure Bouye stays at least one more season.

If we do those things, heading into the draft, this seems like the year we make some moves. Recently the Texans have been trending in the direction of trading up for fewer, better players (I think probably because the more draft picks we make, the more draft picks will inevitably not pan out bc all rookies will have a tough time making the team). Take Ervin for example. He may develop into a decent weapon for us, but would anyone be surprised if he didn't make the team this year? (he probably only made it last year due to his draft status) So where am I going with this? I think this might be the year we make a gigantor trade to go get liike a Deshaun Watson, or Mitch Trubisky, or Jamal Adams, or Malik Hooker.. or in other words, I think we're in position to package our picks together and go get pretty much any one player we want (especially considering we're only a few players away.. and we arguably have those players coming off of injury). I can't WAIT to see how this all plays out.


I think Cleveland could be a trade partner. We've historically loved trading down. It would cost your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.


What aboout a 1rst, 2nd, 3rd, and Brock for #12 and your 4th..?

As long as I get my quarterback I'll be happy
_________________


Last edited by PAtexansFAN99 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 59118
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
I LOVE the position that we're in right now. This is by far the best situation we've been in heading into an offseason in my opinion. We'll have Watt, K Jo, Nick Martin, Braxton Miller all returning (nice lil boost), AND (at least for next year) we've got our entire core locked up (with the exception of Bouye and a few role players like Simon, Griffin who I think can be replaced a number of ways if the market prices them out of range).
I expect us to fill out the OL in free agency because it's our most glaring need heading into the draft, and I think we'll find a way (either via franchise tag or a long term deal) to make sure Bouye stays at least one more season.

If we do those things, heading into the draft, this seems like the year we make some moves. Recently the Texans have been trending in the direction of trading up for fewer, better players (I think probably because the more draft picks we make, the more draft picks will inevitably not pan out bc all rookies will have a tough time making the team). Take Ervin for example. He may develop into a decent weapon for us, but would anyone be surprised if he didn't make the team this year? (he probably only made it last year due to his draft status) So where am I going with this? I think this might be the year we make a gigantor trade to go get liike a Deshaun Watson, or Mitch Trubisky, or Jamal Adams, or Malik Hooker.. or in other words, I think we're in position to package our picks together and go get pretty much any one player we want (especially considering we're only a few players away.. and we arguably have those players coming off of injury). I can't WAIT to see how this all plays out.


I think Cleveland could be a trade partner. We've historically loved trading down. It would cost your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.


What aboout a 1rst, 2nd, 3rd, and Brock for #12 and your 4th..?

As long as I get my quarterback I'll be happy


In that scenario you have us paying a 4th for Brock. I wouldn't trade a 2020 7th round pick for him. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group