Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

broncos67 Mock Offseason v.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: broncos67 Mock Offseason v.1 Reply with quote

Alright, let's give this a shot. Disclaimer, this is what I think we will do, not necessarily what we should. Subject to change in future versions.

Resign:

Vance Walker
Dekoda Watson

Let walk:

Kayvon Webster
Demarcus Ware
Sly Williams
Billy Winn

Cut:

Donald Stephenson
Todd Davis

Sign:

Russell Okung (LT)- I think we will ultimately re-structure his deal. I think Okung was bad in the last scheme, but might be better in this one, and can kick over to RT potentially if we find a contributor. In the mean time, we re-sign him to a more favorable contract and don't break the bank in doing so.

Larry Warford (OG)- With TJ Lang, Zeitler, Leary coming to market, I think the money will be spent on those guys, allowing us to get Warford for probably 5-6MM AAV, which is a good place to be, IMO. Warford will be good in our scheme, and I do think we have more potential at the guard positions with Schofield/McGovern and a FA signing.

Jeremy Kerley (WR)- WR is always at a premium, but Kerley is someone who demonstrated he was able to shoulder at least some of the load, albeit in a bad offense. I could see Denver taking a gamble on him as their #3WR, a role I think he would do quite well in. Kerley also has some PR skills which are needed. This still allows guys like Fowler/Sunshine to develop, but brings in a major upgrade over Norwood.

Zach Brown (ILB)- There's a glut of talent at the LB position but it's kind of muddled. Brown is what this team seeks at LB, IMO. He's incredibly fast, and has grown into a significantly better player over time. I think we let Todd Davis go because he's a bad scheme fit, and we have Corey Nelson and Zaire Anderson behind him. Brown slots in next to Marshall and occupies the previous Trevathan role.

Domata Peko/Johnathan Hankins (DT)- I see us going after a loaded DT market, but I don't think we will necessarily break the bank in it. Peko is older but would be a solid short-term option, while Hankins is a bit younger and has the upside. Ultimately I think Denver would be smart to address this position in FA.

Draft:

1. Christian McCaffrey- RB- Stanford

I think it's a little obvious to make this pick, but C-Mac does check off a LOT of boxes for this team. We need a playmaker, and the fact that he's a jack of all trades type who can come out of the backfield, line up in slot, return kicks and punts...that's a cure all. There's been an expressed desire to become more dynamic. This helps us do that.

2. Taylor Moton- RT- Western Michigan

Moton may end up going higher, but I think he would be a Day 1 plug and play guy at RT for us. His value I believe ultimately sits around this spot, making him a great option for the OL to get some youth on the right side.

3. Chidobie Awuzie- CB- Colorado

Incredible playmaker but I could see him falling due to the depth of the class. He's by all accounts a very sound tackler which is needed for this secondary. He can eventually slot in somewhere on our defense, but he's definitely got the ability to play here.

3. Taywan Taylor- WR- Western Kentucky

Another weapon for the offense, and one who could become another instant contributor. He has some of the best short-term quickness and separation ability of anyone in this class. Would make a great long-term slot option.

3. Tanoh Kpassagnon- DE- Villanova

The guy is a freak and I love him. I think he makes another project for Kollar, but this is where you take players like this and hope they work out for you. He's oozing raw ability, but needs to be coached. I view him as the type of pick we should have made instead of Adam Gotsis, but I digress.

4. Pat Elflein- OG/C- Ohio State

He may end up going a bit higher, but he's a gamer. Very strong run blocker, needs some work in the passing game. That being said, he has positional versatility which is valued, and OC may be his best position. If there are questions on Paradis' health, this will be a potential solve at guard and backup at center.

6. Ejuan Price- OLB- Pittsburgh

This is an interesting prospect for me. He's a lightning rod off the edge, but he's tiny. He's Elvis Dumervil tiny, so who knows how he'll fare in the NFL. I think his numbers merit a few rounds earlier, but his size is going to scare teams off. I think he's worth a late round speculative pick.

7. CJ Beathard- QB- Iowa

Probably PS fodder, but we interviewed him at senior bowl and he's a pro-style guy who could slot in nicely at 3rd QB down the line.

7. Pharoah Brown- TE- Oregon

Late round flier but he has had a few major injury concerns. We take him and see if he can contribute at some point. I could easily see Denver taking TE early, and later iterations may change somewhat, but I do think Denver likes AJ Derby quite a bit.

Thoughts? Critique away!

Thanks, Tzimisce
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this is what you think will happen, not should happen, but 2 Q & 2 draft comments:

1. How much $ do you see that FA class signed will cost? I've been banging the drum on how expensive the FA elite guys will be - but no one there is elite, maybe Warford will get elite G money because of his age. The reason why I ask - if there's no top-of-the-class FA, the guys we got don't push our cap - so I wonder if we still go after Whitworth and let Okung walk.

2. If we went Peko, he'd fill NT nicely - but I don't think he'd fill 3-4 DE. Walker is a great 3rd 3-4 DE, but who would be the 2nd? Or did you mean you get both Peko & Hankins?

3. I think Eflein will be gone by the 3rd. In that scenario, going Jake Butt in R4 is an even better value.

4. Love the Taylor/KPass/CB picks, those will fill areas we will need contributors by 2018 at the latest. McCaffrey at 20 I'm ambivalent on, because trench upgrades are what we need most - but if we got both Peko/Hankins/Brown and upgraded 2 OL spots before the draft, then I'd see going there. Don't know if McCaffrey is truly the overall BPA, though, but I get the reasoning.

Other than the Okung-Whitworth switch (obv. would cost a lot more $, but I think we'd be able to afford it, unless you are saying we are getting Warford/Hankins together, then we might have to choose), I get the idea. Just don't think Okung is a fit in any scheme - once the decline starts, it rarely reverses itself.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mean both Hankins and Peko, which I think solves some issues for us. I think the FA class puts us fairly close to our cap but we end up filling a lot of holes.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okung has always been a finesse, dancing-bear type LT. He was touted for his mirror in pass protection and has never been a dominant run blocker or overly physical. If he didn't fit in a zone-scheme, he wont fit in a man scheme. He really doesn't play angry and should be jettisoned IMO.

Love Warford but he will command more than 5-6M. I would take him all the way up to 8M but would prefer a LT and 34DE in FA.

Zach Brown is an excellent fit but will be the top ILB on the market IMO. Teams are going to drool over his speed, and range is clearly becoming the top trait looked for in an ILB. He could get 6+ per season. I think he is better than Timmons at this point, the other top ILB.

I am on board with Caffrey at 1.20. We need weapons, and if we shore the OL/DL in FA, we can make that pick. Moton is a nice option at RT but IDK if he is a plug/play talent. I would want a veteran as insurance. Love Awuzie and Taywan in R3. Really cant believe Tanoh will be available R3. This class lacks tall pass rushers and he will test like a freak. I can see low R1 in his future. Elflein is a nice rotational talent and I like his run blocking effort. Solid middle round pick, but again, not a day 1 starting type. Also, really nice, under-the-radar pick in Ejuan. High effort type that could at least contribute on ST. Pharoah is also a great late round flier. He was touted as a R2 pick a few seasons ago. If we take a QB for the PS, I prefer Seth Russell.
ElJefe7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and I have a lot of similarities here, especially with Warford and Mouton. I think building from inside out will more than give Denver the power to start running the ball again.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Tanoh Kpassagnon- DE- Villanova

The guy is a freak and I love him. I think he makes another project for Kollar, but this is where you take players like this and hope they work out for you. He's oozing raw ability, but needs to be coached. I view him as the type of pick we should have made instead of Adam Gotsis, but I digress.

Good point. Elway should have drafted Le'Raven Clark in Round 2 last year instead of Gotsis. Clark would have supplanted Stephenson at RT fairly early, and he may be the LT this year.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I love watching your picks. You really pick out the skill guys and WR's. Not much of a fan of your choices in the trenches.

Elflien would be a great pick, able to play OG and backup center. Kinda nasty. He just won't be on the board then.

Tanoh won't be there either, it's the annual "physical freak" thing.

I'm a real fan of violent men in the trenches. They succeed. Okung doesn't fit the bill. On that topic, I think Gotsis is being sold a bit short. Lets see what he does next year.

Nice draft though. You always give me new names to research. Wink
thebestever6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want Christian McCaffrey. Because if we dont nab him I see him going to New England being a matchup nightmare or Baltimore. Basically, I want him to make our team better while there's stay stagnant.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Every year I love watching your picks. You really pick out the skill guys and WR's. Not much of a fan of your choices in the trenches.

Elflien would be a great pick, able to play OG and backup center. Kinda nasty. He just won't be on the board then.

Tanoh won't be there either, it's the annual "physical freak" thing.

I'm a real fan of violent men in the trenches. They succeed. Okung doesn't fit the bill. On that topic, I think Gotsis is being sold a bit short. Lets see what he does next year.

Nice draft though. You always give me new names to research. Wink

Thanks for the feedback. I do agree in a way about Okung. I don't think he's a tremendous scheme fit but my gut is telling me they will try to bring him back in some capacity.

Tanoh is dicey for me. He will probably end up going a round higher, but I think his combine will solidify that. We've seen freaks like him before who aren't necessarily great football players. Margus Hunt comes to mind immediately for me. He had elite measurables, but played weak competition and needed A LOT of coaching. Then again, he was a Round 2 pick, so I might be selling a bit short.

I agree Gotsis will continue to get opportunities, and if we end up wtih an embarassment of riches on the DL, all the better, but Denver should absolutely not forego DL talent because of him. If he's playing at a high level, we're that much better off, but he's not nearly a good enough prospect or performer so far to warrant not drafting over him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I do agree in a way about Okung. I don't think he's a tremendous scheme fit but my gut is telling me they will try to bring him back in some capacity.

Tanoh is dicey for me. He will probably end up going a round higher, but I think his combine will solidify that. We've seen freaks like him before who aren't necessarily great football players. Margus Hunt comes to mind immediately for me. He had elite measurables, but played weak competition and needed A LOT of coaching. Then again, he was a Round 2 pick, so I might be selling a bit short.

I agree Gotsis will continue to get opportunities, and if we end up wtih an embarassment of riches on the DL, all the better, but Denver should absolutely not forego DL talent because of him. If he's playing at a high level, we're that much better off, but he's not nearly a good enough prospect or performer so far to warrant not drafting over him.

I really like Tanoh. If he's got the disposition he could be great. Just needs a redshirt year. He could be hell on wheels in packages though.

Gotsis I think will surprise this year. Why? He's a pretty violent, extremely large, physical freak that actually enjoys the trench work. If his statements are true he'll spend all but a few weeks in the offseason in Dove Valley. He wants to get stronger.

Just a thought, but with minimal effort we could trade down a bit in the 1st to get McCaffery and trade up again to get Bolles. Trust me, he'll be far better than Moton and may end up being the OL steal of the draft.

He's the perfect size, very light on his feet, quick, fast strong hands and just likes to fight. I would hate to go against that man for 60 minutes.

He's the kind of guy that for the next decade DE's and DT's will hate to face him. At the end of the day they'll be really sore.

Hey, take a look at his teammate at OG, I think it's Asiata. Looks to me like a guy that will make a 10+ year career in the NFL as an above average OG.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a thought, but with minimal effort we could trade down a bit in the 1st to get McCaffery and trade up again to get Bolles. Trust me, he'll be far better than Moton and may end up being the OL steal of the draft.

This is the direction I am starting to hope we take. Cam is great, but Bolles is really growing on me. If we could make out with McCaffery and Bolles with our 1st two picks, I would be ecstatic.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:

This is the direction I am starting to hope we take. Cam is great, but Bolles is really growing on me. If we could make out with McCaffery and Bolles with our 1st two picks, I would be ecstatic.

I really like the idea of Ed's kid. He'll be just as tough and productive as his dad.

Bolles I think will be the best OL guy in the draft. Great skill set and translates well to the NFL. He's a really violent kid on the field. I watched a bit more film on him. He just beats guys up for 60 minutes. Loses some battles but wins the war.

He and Cam in a phonebooth? Bolles walks out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: