Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TY's Unusual 2017 Draft 1.0 w/ explanations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: TY's Unusual 2017 Draft 1.0 w/ explanations Reply with quote

Re-signings:
Kellen Moore
JJ Wilcox
Morris Claiborne (1 year deal)
Butler
Cooper

Restructure:
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith
Travis Frederick

Cuts:
Doug Free

Free Agency: The Denver Broncos (not wanting to waste another year of great defensive play) offer a 2017 and 2018 3rd round pick for Tony Romo, with the 2018 pick escalating to a 2nd if the Broncos reach the playoffs. The Cowboys accept.

The Cowboys know that they can't rely on both Lawrence (back issues) and Gregory in 2017. They need a player they can depend on to rush the QB, so they decide to roll the dice on a high upside player who can rush the QB.

Cowboys sign Chandler Jones: (4 years, 40 million; 28 Million Guaranteed)

At 6'5 and 265 lbs, he should be able to make the transition to DE. He has some character concerns, which is why we are able to get him for this price.

(backup option: Nick Perry: 4 years, 28 million)

The draft goes like this:

1. Cleveland Browns: Myles Garrett DE/OLB Texas A&M
2. San Francisco 49ers: DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame
3. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Allen DT Alabama
4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jamal Adams S LSU
5. Tennessee Titans (Via LA Rams): Mike Williams WR Clemson
6. New York Jets: Leonard Fournette RB LSU
7. Los Angeles Chargers: Malik Hooker S Ohio State
8. Carolina Panthers: Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State
9. Cincinnati Bengals: Reuben Foster LB Alabama
10. Buffalo Bills: Mitch Trubisky QB North Carolina
11. New Orleans Saints: Soloman Thomas DE Stanford
12. Cleveland Browns (via PHI): Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin
13. Arizona Cardinals: O.J. Howard TE Alabama
14. Indianapolis Colts: Dalvin Cook RB Florida St
15. Philadelphia Eagles (via MIN): Corey Davis WR Western Michigan
16. Baltimore Ravens: Teez Tabor CB Florida
17. Washington Redskins: Derek Barnett DE Tennessee
18. Tennessee Titans: Sidney Jones CB Washington
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: David Njoku TE Miami
20. Denver Broncos: Garett Bolles OT Michigan St
21. Detroit Lions: Taco Charlton DE Michigan
22. Miami Dolphins: Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt
23. New York Giants: Takkarist McKinley DE UCLA
24. Oakland Raiders: Cam Robinson OT Alabama
25. Houston Texans: Deshaun Watson QB Clemson
26. Seattle Seahawks: Quincy Wilson CB Florida
27. Kansas City Chiefs: Pat Mahomes QB Texas Tech

With the 28th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select: Charles Harris DE Missouri

Dallas lands their impact DE. Harris has a really good first step and can beat tackles around the edge. While he may have some issues in run support, he should be able to contribute immediately in 3rd and long situations.

2nd round: Julie'n Davenport OT Western Michigan

Davenport is a bit of a risk as he played against lower level competition, but he has the size and arms of a starting NFL tackle. Our replacement for Free at RT.

3rd round (from Broncos trade): Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

Speed concerns but his catch radius is outstanding. Competitive and has great production in college.

3rd round: Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

A player who should step in and compete for the slot position. Can contribute on STs and has some ball skills.

4th round: Vincent Taylor DT Oklahoma State

Taylor should provide solid depth at DT, with us losing McClain.

6th round: Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma

This pick will get a lot of scrutiny but the team has shown time and time again to take chances and give players 2nd chances. This pick is a steal and Mixon should be able to have a huge impact on special teams along with playing Dunbar's old role on 3rd downs. If this works out it can be one of the biggest redemption stories in the NFL.

7th round: Brendan Langley CB Lamar

Good size (6'2, 293) with good ball skills (6 Ints his last year at Lamar) he should be able to compete for a roster spot in TC.

2017 Dallas Cowboys Roster

OFFENSE

QB: Prescott | Moore | UDFA QB
RB: Elliott | Morris | Mixon
FB: K. Smith
WR: Bryant | Kupp | Beasley | Butler |Whitehead
TE: Witten | Hanna | Swaim | Geathers
LT: T. Smith
LG: L. Collins | Cooper
C: Frederick | Looney
RG: Z. Martin
RT: Green | Davenport

DEFENSE

LDE: Lawrence | Harris | Tapper
1-Tech: Thornton | Taylor
3-Tech: T. Crawford | M. Collins
RDE: Jones | Irving | Mayowa
SLB: Hitchens | Munson
MLB: J. Smith | Nzeocha
WLB: Lee | Wilson
CB: Scandrick | Lewis
FS: B. Jones | Heath
SS: Wilcox | Frazier
CB: Claiborne | Brown | Langley

SPECIAL TEAMS
K: Bailey
P: C. Jones
LS: Ladouceur

NoFlyZone wrote:
Byron Jones is terrible. I'm sorry.
resilient

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I absolutely LOVE this, but I am equally amazed that you have us getting 2 high level DEs and didn't take a CB/DB early as you seem to be the biggest "promoter" so to speak on CBs/DBs.

So I don't know if I should have this face Shocked

or this one Applause

or this one Pray
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of drafting so many small school / lower division guys. Given the depth of this draft, there should be little need to even consider lower division prospects. I'd rather focus on guys who came from top programs and played against top competition.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're gonna get Jones for just over half of what the Giants paid Vernon? Feels a tad optimistic

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
Jlash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cowboys sign Chandler Jones: (4 years, 40 million; 28 Million Guaranteed)

At 6'5 and 265 lbs, he should be able to make the transition to DE. He has some character concerns, which is why we are able to get him for this price.

Haha, naaaaah. A 27 year old disruptive edge rusher whose "character concerns" were tripping on synthetic marijuana once. Not shot at 10/year.

Aside from the fact you'd never get him at that price, Arizona's brass has made it perfectly clear that if they don't work out a long term deal, he's getting franchised. They didn't send a 2nd round pick over to get him for 1 season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
We're gonna get Jones for just over half of what the Giants paid Vernon? Feels a tad optimistic

Yeah, I should've went 4 years - 60 million, 40 guaranteed. Which is more realistic. I don't see the Vernon deal happening but I could be wrong.

NoFlyZone wrote:
Byron Jones is terrible. I'm sorry.
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not re-signing T.McClain will be a big mistake imo.

EL ramster on the sig!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be an amazing draft. I have a tough time believing Kupp and Lewis will be available in rd 3 and Taylor in 4th though.

Agree with AJ, think McClain is pretty close to priority #1 among our FA.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
Calvert28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll spend a 6th on Mixon. First round talent for 6th round cost?

The pick that low may leave him humble enough to not do it again. And if not, oh well we cut him for no real loss.

But if he succeeds. Especially if he lives up to his talent. He could very well be just a notch below Zeke in terms of talent and that would just be insane for us.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the video? I'm going to go ahead and say there's zero chance we draft Mixon. The talent is there, but I highly doubt we'd take a chance on a player with such a disturbing off the field incident, especially when we currently have an all pro caliber player on the cusp of superstardom at the same position.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:
Have you seen the video? I'm going to go ahead and say there's zero chance we draft Mixon. The talent is there, but I highly doubt we'd take a chance on a player with such a disturbing off the field incident, especially when we currently have an all pro caliber player on the cusp of superstardom at the same position.

So he made a terrible decision and did something deplorable. How long does a man have to pay for a mistake made at 18? Should he not be allowed to have any type of career? I get the impression most people prefer that he be resigned to a life of poverty and never given a chance to be a productive citizen.

I say give the kid a chance to prove that he's remorseful and that he's a changed man.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

So he made a terrible decision and did something deplorable. How long does a man have to pay for a mistake made at 18? Should he not be allowed to have any type of career? I get the impression most people prefer that he be resigned to a life of poverty and never given a chance to be a productive citizen.

I say give the kid a chance to prove that he's remorseful and that he's a changed man.

He can be a productive citizen living a life of poverty flipping burgers at McDonald's. I'm completely ok with him being black-balled by every NFL team and never playing the game again.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

I just stated that I think there's zero chance it happens here in Dallas.

But on a personal level, I have zero tolerance for domestic violence and I think the NFL should too. It shouldnt be punishable by death, but you also shouldn't be allowed the honor of playing in NFL by simply saying "I was an 18 year old kid who made a mistake and now I'm a changed man".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

He can be a productive citizen living a life of poverty flipping burgers at McDonald's. I'm completely ok with him being black-balled by every NFL team and never playing the game again.

I just watched the video and that is brutal. But I disagree with you here. There are very very few things that should make a drunk 18 year old out of his chosen profession for life. There would need to be a lengthy fact finding process into this kid and perhaps mandatory counseling.. but he should still be an employable player. I mean - this is pretty much the same thing as the Chiefs player from last year right? And all season people were singing his NFL praises.

Adopted Cowboy - Jaylon Smith - Stats:NERVE FIRING!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

I just stated that I think there's zero chance it happens here in Dallas.

But on a personal level, I have zero tolerance for domestic violence and I think the NFL should too. It shouldnt be punishable by death, but you also shouldn't be allowed the honor of playing in NFL by simply saying "I was an 18 year old kid who made a mistake and now I'm a changed man".

There is nothing defensible about what he did - and I get the outrage. But if watching/reading all the latest drama/violence across our country I have come to a conclusion:

The next generation does not believe in domestic violence. They just believe in violence. I mean - even in that video alone you see it. She slaps (hits?) him - he immediately lays her out destroying her face. The world is always changing - and this is one of the downfalls of attempting to get rid of gender labels and the context associated with it.

Just watch any of these crazy political rallies were people are getting in fights. Its insane to me that they all just beat eachother up.

Adopted Cowboy - Jaylon Smith - Stats:NERVE FIRING!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: