Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Jones inducted into HOF: Dallas vs Arizona
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romo2bryant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
I'm glad TD got in and TO did not. Stats only tell half the story. I mean... if Matthew Stanford plays long enough, the dude will have other worldly stats compared to other HOF QBs. But, he's not a HOFer. There's something more to HOF than stats.

The bottom line is that TO literally divided teams more than any player in NFL history then he wasn't good enough to matter after that. He epitomizes "me first" players. At the end of the day, football is a team sport and TO lacked the ream concept throughout his career. TO wanted stats. He got them. That's his legacy. If he wanted HOF... he needed to be better teammate.

I'm sure he'll eventually get it. I just hope that it's not for a long time.

One of the dumbest single posts I've read in quite a while.

yeah im in agreement here.

Everyone forgetting this guy played on a broken leg in the super bowl and had one of the best games for a receiver ever in it?
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different perspective when it comes to legacy & the HOF.

My first question always is: Was the guy ever the best at his position when he played?

For instance - I am not a fan of Bettis in the Hall.

Personally at no point while TO was playing did I think he was the best WR in the NFL. Top 3? Probably. Top 5? Absolutely. I can see why many would support him. He has the stats. I am just a little less convinced.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have a different perspective when it comes to legacy & the HOF.

My first question always is: Was the guy ever the best at his position when he played?

For instance - I am not a fan of Bettis in the Hall.

Personally at no point while TO was playing did I think he was the best WR in the NFL. Top 3? Probably. Top 5? Absolutely. I can see why many would support him. He has the stats. I am just a little less convinced.

My test for HOF isn't about stats or longevity. My only question is "Can the history of the NFL be told without you"? If the answer is yes, then you belong in the hall of very good but not the HOF.

Jerome Bettis, Andre Reed, Cris Carter and guys like them don't belong in the HOF in my opinion. Terell Davis and TO are part of the NFL story and belong in the HOF. Keeping TO out is more about punishing him for his antics than about his performance.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called the Hall of FAME. Not the Hall of Good Men. Not the Hall of Amazing Athletes. Not the Hall of Super Bowl Winners. Not the Hall of Best Stats. The Hall of Fame.

Now you have to be good at football too. You can't be famous for being a bad player. T.O. is a top 5 WR of all time. And one of the most famous players in history.

And honestly how can you give the history of the NFL without including the George Teague star spike incident, the celebrations, or the popcorn, or the crying "That's my QB" over Romo, or the broken leg recovery bubble chamber Super Bowl, how he nearly won the SB singlehandedly, how he is 2nd or 3rd in every major statistical category for WRs.

He produced on the field and he produced off the field. Guys like T.O. is who the Hall of Fame is for. And why is the NFL punishing him? Sure he played the villain role off the field, but it's not like he was in and out of jail, failing drug tests, beating women. Etc.. as far as I know he doesn't even drink. His off field antics weren't those of Greg Hardy. They were entertainment.

All this is coming from a passionate T.O. hater. I've disliked him since the star spike game, I hated that we signed him, I cursed his dumbfounding drops, and I LOVE that the jack as$ missed the HoF. I also love that he was Tweeting temper tantrums after he didn't get in. Then Tweeting that he doesn't care when he obviously does.

But I'm man enough to admit he deserves to be in, and it's rather silly to question his credentials.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Now you have to be good at football too. You can't be famous for being a bad player.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Its called the Hall of FAME. Not the Hall of Good Men. Not the Hall of Amazing Athletes. Not the Hall of Super Bowl Winners. Not the Hall of Best Stats. The Hall of Fame.

Now you have to be good at football too. You can't be famous for being a bad player. T.O. is a top 5 WR of all time. And one of the most famous players in history.

And honestly how can you give the history of the NFL without including the George Teague star spike incident, the celebrations, or the popcorn, or the crying "That's my QB" over Romo, or the broken leg recovery bubble chamber Super Bowl, how he nearly won the SB singlehandedly, how he is 2nd or 3rd in every major statistical category for WRs.

He produced on the field and he produced off the field. Guys like T.O. is who the Hall of Fame is for. And why is the NFL punishing him? Sure he played the villain role off the field, but it's not like he was in and out of jail, failing drug tests, beating women. Etc.. as far as I know he doesn't even drink. His off field antics weren't those of Greg Hardy. They were entertainment.

All this is coming from a passionate T.O. hater. I've disliked him since the star spike game, I hated that we signed him, I cursed his dumbfounding drops, and I LOVE that the jack as$ missed the HoF. I also love that he was Tweeting temper tantrums after he didn't get in. Then Tweeting that he doesn't care when he obviously does.

But I'm man enough to admit he deserves to be in, and it's rather silly to question his credentials.

+1. Well said.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas and Arizona will play in HOF game. Wonder if the NFL will flock it up again this year?

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Dallas and Arizona will play in HOF game. Wonder if the NFL will flock it up again this year?

Yeah, that non-game actually helped me. Cowpokes needed another week.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
Now you have to be good at football too. You can't be famous for being a bad player.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Enough said if you look at the Mighty Joe's stats over a career.

Thanks to Uncle Buck on the sig
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboyfanin2890 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

Applause Applause Applause Applause Enough said if you look at the Mighty Joe's stats over a career.

For about a 5 year period Joe was the most famous football player in America. The NFL story can't be told without him and his "guarantee". His team won the first inter-league championship. Don't let stats confuse you about who should be in the "Hall of the Famous".
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
cowboyfanin2890 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

For about a 5 year period Joe was the most famous football player in America. The NFL story can't be told without him and his "guarantee". His team won the first inter-league championship. Don't let stats confuse you about who should be in the "Hall of the Famous".

He's not really famous FOR being a bad football player like idk... JaMarcus Russell, or Ryan Leaf, or Trent Richardson... All those guys are famous but can't be in the hall of fame. Because they are famous for sucking. Namath isn't famous for sucking. He's famous for flair, winning that inter-league championship, his flair, his drunken interviews, and his flair. Most people don't even know that his TD to INT ratio is 173 : 220

Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
I'm glad TD got in and TO did not. Stats only tell half the story. I mean... if Matthew Stanford plays long enough, the dude will have other worldly stats compared to other HOF QBs. But, he's not a HOFer. There's something more to HOF than stats.

The bottom line is that TO literally divided teams more than any player in NFL history then he wasn't good enough to matter after that. He epitomizes "me first" players. At the end of the day, football is a team sport and TO lacked the ream concept throughout his career. TO wanted stats. He got them. That's his legacy. If he wanted HOF... he needed to be better teammate.

I'm sure he'll eventually get it. I just hope that it's not for a long time.

One of the dumbest single posts I've read in quite a while.

I dont think its that dumb. TO wont be the first guy punished for being a grade a dckhead. I think he should have been in year 2, because I doubt he gets in next year with Moss. But TO allegedly doesnt care if he makes it into the HOF now, so I guess its irrelevant. Rolling Eyes

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Yeah, that non-game actually helped me. Cowpokes needed another week.

You got 6 months, start prepping.

I suggest we take cues from the Reddit dude who writes "The book of Dan" - which is a spoof-religious following of Dan Bailey.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: