Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Studying for my boards is melting my brain so I took an hour off to think about the upcoming offseason. I used fanspeak's "manage the cap" for the off-season and "on the clock" for the draft.

Cuts:
Russel Okung, OT: cap savings $10M
Donald Stephenson, OT: Cap savings $3M
Virgil Green, TE: cap savings $3M

Re-sign
Demarcus Ware, OLB: 2 year $10M
Kayvon Webster, CB/ST: 4 year $12M

Free Agency
Andrew Whitworth, LT: 2 year $16M - Best LT on the market. Only has a couple of years left but he can bridge until our rookie is ready.

Riley Reiff, RT: 4 year $22M - never turned out to be the great LT he was drafted to be but is an above average RT.

Dontari Poe, NT: 5 year $40M -Chiefs loss is our gain.

Calais Campbell, DL: 4 year $40M -Best 1 gaping 34 DE on the market. Comes home to finish his career and help bridge until the young guys are ready. (I still have high hopes for Gotsis. He finally got healthy towards the end of the season and played well the last 3 games)

NaVarro Bowman, ILB: 2 year $6M - He's been injured the last 2 seasons so he signs a "prove it" deal. When/IF healthy he is one of the best 34 WILL in the game.

Draft I will admit that I have not been able to watch much CFB this year so I just looked at NFL.com and CBS.com and their draft profiles. But here's who was available on the fansided site and why I chose them:

20: R1P20 DL JONATHAN ALLEN; ALABAMA - Honestly I was floored he was still available. I went in with the plan of taking an OL but when a future probowler was sitting there I couldn't pass it up.

51: R2P19 CB ADOREE' JACKSON; SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - The best returner since Hester who can also play nickle CB? yes please!

82: R3P18 G/C PAT ELFLEIN; OHIO STATE - A team leader, great work ethic, plays mean, and can play both G and C.

97: R3P33 WR ZAY JONES; EAST CAROLINA - I may have overdrafted him based upon his senior bowl but the kid has the pedigree and work ethic

101: R3P37 TE GERALD EVERETT; SOUTH ALABAMA - Mismatch nightmare

125: R4P20 OT JULIE'N DAVENPORT; BUCKNELL -RAW but has all of the tools. He has a couple of years to learn the trade.

145: R4P40 TE JAKE BUTT; MICHIGAN – his injury drops him but he is the best all around TE not named OJ. Not flashy like Everett but can move the chains and his blocking ability makes him an exciting chess piece.
204: R6P19 LB JALEN REEVES-MAYBIN; TENNESSEE – Kid’s a hell of a player, but is a little small and has major injury concerns. Boom or Bust.
241: R7P20 DL JOSH TUPOU; COLORADO – Space eater pure and simple.
UDFA: we will bring in a QB to run the scout team(Zach Terrell, WMU?)
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be a perfect draft and free agency so if we could even make half of that happen I'd be very happy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be a great result, but 2 contracts are underpriced by a fair bit & 2-3 picks that likely are gone way before we pick...

1. Whitworth is the top LT on the market - minimum 10M per year. 20M/2.

2. Campbell is getting 14-15M per year, being the top 3-4 DE in 2016, and the top FA DE by a mile.

The FA CB class is so bad Webster will get a contract offer to start somewhere else, too. No issue to retain him at that price if we could but someone will offer more given how bare the FA CB cupboard is.

That means we don't get either Poe, or Reiff. The salary cap going up by 15M across the board and the contracts so far clearly show elite FA's are going to get new standard-setting or at worst standard-matching contracts.

Draft-wise Jonathan Allen is going top 10, if not a lock for top 5. Adoree Jackson will go in the top 40. Love the idea, but realistically, neither will be available at our 20/51 slot.
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Would be a great result, but 2 contracts are underpriced by a fair bit & 2-3 picks that likely are gone way before we pick...

2. Campbell is getting 14-15M per year, being the top 3-4 DE in 2016, and the top FA DE by a mile.

The FA CB class is so bad Webster will get a contract offer to start somewhere else, too. No issue to retain him at that price if we could but someone will offer more given how bare the FA CB cupboard is.

That means we don't get either Poe, or Reiff. The salary cap going up by 15M across the board and the contracts so far clearly show elite FA's are going to get new standard-setting or at worst standard-matching contracts.

Draft-wise Jonathan Allen is going top 10, if not a lock for top 5. Adoree Jackson will go in the top 40. Love the idea, but realistically, neither will be available at our 20/51 slot.
yeah, that's why I used fan speak to simulate the rest of the league. I re-did the 1st round 10 times this morning. Either Allen or Solomon Thomas was there 7/10 times. Both are top 5 prospects but you know teams will overdraft the QBs and OTs meaning a good prospect will drop.
Zukhyubern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a dream scenario, but not necessarily unrealistic. I would be thrilled. I kind of forgot about Bowman but have always like him.
Broncoquake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't re-sign Ware for $5M a year. His body is failing him and that money can be used to fix a bigger issue.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos_fan _from _uk wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

yeah, that's why I used fan speak to simulate the rest of the league. I re-did the 1st round 10 times this morning. Either Allen or Solomon Thomas was there 7/10 times. Both are top 5 prospects but you know teams will overdraft the QBs and OTs meaning a good prospect will drop.

I don't know that I necessarily agree. Yes, QB might be over drafted but Johnathan Allen especially is probably the best overall prospect in this class. Solomon Thomas is more upside based but they're both Top 8 locks IMO.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupou??????? what?
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, this would be quite the pipe-dream.
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Butt and Adoree Jackson would make me extremely happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: