Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkobow05

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerveryTime32 wrote:
Isn't that what we said with Randall and Rollins? Sure set the world on fire last season.
Injuries will do that to you...

It was incredibly obvious that both were hurt for the majority of the season.

Eric "Korean Jesus" Thames
PossibleCabbage

CWood21 wrote:
This smells suspiciously of his agent changing demands mid-negotiation.

The "it's 100% over, not an impasse, it's done" sort of language really indicate that someone's feelings got hurt and someone (possibly someone else) isn't behaving rationally. But hurt feelings can be mended and people often come to their senses after some time.

I mean, if it was just a disagreement on numbers and he was going to take visits, there wouldn't be this level of histrionics. Lang's visiting teams, he's not mad. Lacy's visiting teams, he's not mad. Someone here (it might not be Cook) is pretty upset about something.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
IrishGreen

MNPackfan32 wrote:
We have no idea what the number is for Cook. I'd say it's safe to assume he wants security with a pay increase and guaranteed money. We really shocked Ted isn't all in on a 30 year old TE who wasn't healthy for a chunk of last year?

yea im personally not that mad about cook. prolly just wanted to get paid based on playoff reputation this year.

grass won't be greener on the other side for him with another team.
JerveryTime32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
JerveryTime32 wrote:
We have THREE 1st and 2nd round needs.

-TE
-CB
-EDGE
-OG
-RB

Laughing

RB...OG...TE as 1st round or 2nd round needs? Get out of here. One, Ted has shown a willingness to go with lesser at RB. The door hasn't shut on Eddie Lacy, and there's still a number of FA out there that wouldn't affect our compensatory selection. Secondly, we've filled our OG holes with mid round draft (3rd through 5th round) every other time, yet this time it's a 1st or 2nd round need? As for TE, when did the Packers' offense become centered around our TE? And let's not pretend that TE don't generally make huge impacts in their rookie season.

The bolded is the problem and exactly why we wanted Cook back.

And our offense got much better with a stretch TE

Quote:
@AlexGelhar

Following
More
Aaron Rodgers with Jared Cook in 2016 (incl. playoffs):

TD: 34
INT: 3
Rating: 113.4
W-L: 10-3

and w/o

TD: 15
INT: 6
Rating: 92.3
W-L: 2-4
Atari-XXX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfanfb wrote:
Someone please answer this one for me. A lot of people are anti-FA right...at least "first day" FA where the big players get signed for big money. Well, we just lost Sam Shields, our top CB on the team. No one can debate that. He was also making, what, about $10-11 million per year? Not sure of his cap number this year but wasn't it five figures? Moreover, assuming he had no concussion issues, the Packers would have kept Shields this year and paid him that salary.

So, if we lost our best CB, who we were willing to pay $10-11 million this year, why should it be unthinkable to go get a top FA corner like Gilmore, Ryan, Kirkpatrick, etc., guys who signed deals between $10-$14 million per year? This is what frustrates a lot of fans and why NE comes to mind. They lose Ryan, they get Gilmore. They lose Bennett, they get Allen. They lose Sheard, they get Ealy, etc.

On the other hand, we lose Shields and get.....

NE replaced Revis and Browner with a third round pick and an UDFA. Their fans freaked out too. Last season they won the SB with them.

If TT replaces any starter with a rookie or UDFA, he's crazy.
CWood21

MNPackfan32 wrote:
We have no idea what the number is for Cook. I'd say it's safe to assume he wants security with a pay increase and guaranteed money. We really shocked Ted isn't all in on a 30 year old TE who wasn't healthy for a chunk of last year?

Something has to go terribly wrong if you go from being close to a deal to suddenly having zero chance of returning. I mean, it's possible that those initial reports jumped the gun a bit, but realistically something had to have occurred. Did Jared Cook's agent have a number in mind prior to FA opening, and then we saw the contracts being handed out he asked for more money? My guess is this is his agent doing the talking that caused the issue.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
wgbeethree

PossibleCabbage wrote:
WIsportsfan wrote:
Agreed. These types of posters are interchangeable at this point.

It's amazing to me that there appear to be people who go through this kind of agony every single year, year after year. I don't get it. Being upset that TT isn't signing the FAs you want him to sign is like being upset that it is raining. Sure, you can be upset, but it'll do about as much good in either case.

Honestly, "TT not signing FAs" is a lot more predictable than rain, come to think of it.

I often wonder if there's people who go to the symphony and are like, "I can't believe this conductor is such an idiot and that second chair violin player is garbage. These guys are never going to be as good as the Boston Symphony Orchestra unless they get a legit oboe player." while using "I listen to music a couple hours a week and played clarinet in the HS marching band." as their credentials for expertise on the subject.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
JerveryTime32

bkobow05 wrote:
JerveryTime32 wrote:
Isn't that what we said with Randall and Rollins? Sure set the world on fire last season.

More of a reason to sign a vet db for cheap during the season, no?
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:

The "Randall and Rollins are garbage, we should cut them now, we need to sign all the CBs and draft a few more" talk is eerily reminiscent of the situation Davante Adams was in last offseason.
JerveryTime32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

The "Randall and Rollins are garbage, we should cut them now, we need to sign all the CBs and draft a few more" talk is eerily reminiscent of the situation Davante Adams was in last offseason.

Where did I say they should be cut?

I just don't think either of them can be a #1 WR. Our defense was much better with them AND Shields, don't you agree?
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
The "it's 100% over, not an impasse, it's done" sort of language really indicate that someone's feelings got hurt and someone (possibly someone else) isn't behaving rationally. But hurt feelings can be mended and people often come to their senses after some time.

I mean, if it was just a disagreement on numbers and he was going to take visits, there wouldn't be this level of histrionics. Lang's visiting teams, he's not mad. Lacy's visiting teams, he's not mad. Someone here (it might not be Cook) is pretty upset about something.

Maybe I'm an optimist in terms of Ted Thompson and the Packers FO, but I can't envision a situation where they have an offer on the table that's close to completion and then they suddenly reduce that number. The repercussions of doing that are going to hurt their chances of landing a FA? LIS, my guess is they had a relative ballpark for where Cook's contract was going to land. The money got out of hand for some of the other TE, and his agent wanted to a bump on what was a general idea. Ted feeling like he was bidding against himself, and being played by his agent decided to walk away. I guess we will find out when Jared Cook signs a new contract.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Atari-XXX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerveryTime32 wrote:
Atari-XXX wrote:
JerveryTime32 wrote:
Atari-XXX wrote:
JerveryTime32 wrote:
Stages of FA for Packer fans

1. "It would be nice to sign a mid level FA at position x, we could use an upgrade there and that way we can focus on position y in the draft"

2. *position x signs elsewhere* "I didn't sign elsewhere LOL that team is stupid and that player stinks! If he doesn't want to play for the GOAT Ted then screw him!!"

3. "Its okay, we can just get position x AND y in the draft"

4. *Season rolls around* "These players are rookies we have to give them time!"

5. *Defensive collapse in the playoffs "They will improve next year and we can sign a free agent in the offseason!"

6. "It would be nice to sign a mid level FA at position x, we could use an upgrade there and that way we can focus on position y in the draft"

etc etc

The Patriots won the SB with a secondary of drafted players and one UDFA. No veteran insurance if one of their young CBs would struggle.

You want us to be like the Patriots right?

Which season are you referring to?

Last season:

McCourty
Harmon
Butler
Ryan
Chung

Last season they also acquired via FA:

-Hogan
-Long
-Bennett
-McClennin

What does that have to do with their secondary?

Where was the veteran insurance in case of of their young guys struggled?

Where were the high paid free agents on their secondary?

You're all over your place with your arguments. We're talking about their secondary and you bring up a WR they added. Seriously.
JerveryTime32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atari-XXX wrote:
packfanfb wrote:
Someone please answer this one for me. A lot of people are anti-FA right...at least "first day" FA where the big players get signed for big money. Well, we just lost Sam Shields, our top CB on the team. No one can debate that. He was also making, what, about $10-11 million per year? Not sure of his cap number this year but wasn't it five figures? Moreover, assuming he had no concussion issues, the Packers would have kept Shields this year and paid him that salary.

So, if we lost our best CB, who we were willing to pay $10-11 million this year, why should it be unthinkable to go get a top FA corner like Gilmore, Ryan, Kirkpatrick, etc., guys who signed deals between $10-$14 million per year? This is what frustrates a lot of fans and why NE comes to mind. They lose Ryan, they get Gilmore. They lose Bennett, they get Allen. They lose Sheard, they get Ealy, etc.

On the other hand, we lose Shields and get.....

NE replaced Revis and Browner with a third round pick and an UDFA. Their fans freaked out too. Last season they won the SB with them.

If TT replaces any starter with a rookie or UDFA, he's crazy.

-Hogan
-Long
-Bennett
-McClennin

all signed/acquired be NE

So yes, they did lose CBs, but helped their young ones out by improving their front 7.
PossibleCabbage

Per NFLN we've signed Marty B.

Honestly, I prefer that to Cook.

I wonder if they just offered him the same deal they were offering Cook.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
NCPackFan

Rappaport just said we're signing Martellus Bennett...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 98 of 99

Jump to: