FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

2017 Free Agents
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skibrett15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: 2017 Free Agents Reply with quote

Call it tampering if you want, but I'm ready to talk about the upcoming outside UFAs, our own UFAs, RFAs, ERFAs, and all that.

Here's a helpful link to our cap situation:
http://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

Currently sits at 31 mil, which goes up to 43 mil when you release James Starks and Sam Shields (obvious moves IMO)

Based on what I've been reading here, there are a number of guys getting some hype, and it's pretty clear what our positions of need are:

EDGE
CB
-------
TE
ILB
DL
-------
OL

The thought I had that pushed me into this thread - what if we replace Peppers with Demarcus Ware?

Other "big" names getting buzz here:
Stephon Gilmore
Dre Kirkpatrick
Morris Claiborne
Calais Campbell
Lawrence Timmons

Possible Priority Internal UFAs:
Jared Cook
Nick Perry
JC Tretter
TJ Lang
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Ware do that Peppers doesn't?

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
DocHambone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:

Clearly something because he has his own day.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/04/12/alabama-troy-name-april-19-demarcus-ware-day/39230/
Kenrik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:

I would say Peppers is done in the NFL unless you put a high value on locker room presence.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
I would say Peppers is done in the NFL unless you put a high value on locker room presence.

His 7.5 sacks last year says otherwise. He might not be a starting pass rusher at this point, but he's still a service pass rusher. Keep him on a protected snap count, and at a reasonable price I'd love to have him back. He's more than just a veteran presence.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ted Thompson still our GM?

Oh, he is? Alright, then I call dibs on the 2017 Street Free Agents thread.

I did the 2016 version and we actually signed a player off that list. (I bet you guys could never guess who that was).
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster, can we openly make fun of people who suggest Demarcus Ware instead of Julius Peppers?
chaosisgolden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think of Brandon Carr as a possible cheaper, later FA veteran CB pickup? I honestly don't know how he played this year.

Would it be worth throwing him in the mix with a growing, improving, developing (my belief, that they will all be better than we saw this year) trio like Randall, Rollins, and Gunter?
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosisgolden wrote:
What do people think of Brandon Carr as a possible cheaper, later FA veteran CB pickup? I honestly don't know how he played this year.

Would it be worth throwing him in the mix with a growing, improving, developing (my belief, that they will all be better than we saw this year) trio like Randall, Rollins, and Gunter?

I literally don't care who we sign as long as they're not riddled with past injuries or over 31 years old. I think literally any corner would help this team. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I doubt I am, but we just had the youngest top four corners in the league this year in one of the most complex defensive schemes. Anybody with NFL experience would help this team.

I don't want just one corner, I want two. I want a premium corner to go forward with, and I want a lesser free agent corner, too.

Corner is the one position I don't want to worry about at all heading into next season.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Kenrik wrote:

His 7.5 sacks last year says otherwise. He might not be a starting pass rusher at this point, but he's still a service pass rusher. Keep him on a protected snap count, and at a reasonable price I'd love to have him back. He's more than just a veteran presence.
More proof how overrated sack numbers are.

El ramster on the custom sig!
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Kenrik wrote:

More proof how overrated sack numbers are.

Quote:
JULIUS PEPPERS: Peppers earned every nickel of his three-year, $26 million contract. He turned 37 this month and itís hard to say if he wants to play a 16th season and, if so, whether the Packers still want him. Peppers surely wants to win a Super Bowl. His playing time was a career-low 58.3%: 470 snaps at OLB, 252 as a defensive lineman. He posted three turnover plays, one more than last year but eight fewer than in 2014. He led the team in batted balls with five and was second in sacks (8 Ĺ) and pressures (32 Ĺ). A stunning physical specimen, Peppers has missed only two of a possible 251 games due to injury. Both parties have a decision to make. Grade: B-minus.

I don't think he's an excellent three-down contributor. But he very obviously has something in the tank as a situational rusher, and those pieces are critical for any Super Bowl-caliber team (see: Falcons/Dwight Freeney; Patriots/Chris Long; etc.).

skibrett15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Webmaster, can we openly make fun of people who suggest Demarcus Ware instead of Julius Peppers?

HAHAHAHAHA, ahaha. AHA. Ahah. ehem. eheh. ehhh.. hmmmm. phfffft.

Ware is 2.5 years younger than Peppers. It might be like getting Peppers at his original level of play all over again. Ware is much more of a natural fit at OLB given that he played it for his entire career so I have no concerns about his ability to play in our scheme.

Both are HOF level pass rushers, and Ware is 2.5 years younger with 3 fewer seasons in the NFL. Ware was actually on a cheaper contract with Denver than Peppers with GB.

Peppers has some value to GB for sure, but I think Ware is better at this point in his career.

Brandon Carr was a decent player this year for Dallas. Frankly he's a bit long in the tooth and doesn't have the speed to play outside without help.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:

Ware is 2.5 years younger than Peppers. It might be like getting Peppers at his original level of play all over again. Ware is much more of a natural fit at OLB given that he played it for his entire career so I have no concerns about his ability to play in our scheme.

Both are HOF level pass rushers, and Ware is 2.5 years younger with 3 fewer seasons in the NFL. Ware was actually on a cheaper contract with Denver than Peppers with GB.

Peppers has some value to GB for sure, but I think Ware is better at this point in his career.

Brandon Carr was a decent player this year for Dallas. Frankly he's a bit long in the tooth and doesn't have the speed to play outside without help.

15 GS, 10 and then 8. 10 sacks, 7.5 and 4. With the best single EDGE rusher in the league across from him.

Ware has next to nothing in his tank.

He makes us older, slower and more brittle. It would be a pointless signing.

skibrett15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better production than Nick Perry over the past 3 years though. Ware had another 3.5 sacks in the 2015 playoffs with 3 starts.

Ware has good help but so has Peppers with Matthews. Clearly both are situational players at this point in their careers.
squire12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:

15 GS, 10 and then 8. 10 sacks, 7.5 and 4. With the best single EDGE rusher in the league across from him.

Ware has next to nothing in his tank.

He makes us older, slower and more brittle. It would be a pointless signing.

Ware also is competing with Shane Ray, young and good pass rusher that Denver very likely wanted to get some time to.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 1 of 99

Jump to: