Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

EAGLEDEEGLE MOCK OFFSEASON V1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: EAGLEDEEGLE MOCK OFFSEASON V1 Reply with quote

In creating this mock, the focus was mainly on improving the offense and giving our franchise QB some weapons and added confidence. I realize that this is a lot to ingest. However, before you bash away, keep in mind that under Howie Roseman, we are ALWAYS active in FA, moving around in the draft and in trades. Howie likes to make a lot of noise in the offseason. I mean, who would have predicted last year’s offseason? Anyways, I did this for fun.... enjoy!

http://www.phillyvoice.com/source-eagles-expected-free-significant-cap-space/

According to Jimmy Kempski, the Eagles are looking to clear up a bunch of cap space this offseason in order to make some moves. Once again, I feel like Howie will be active.

RESTRUCTURES:
-Chase Daniel - Restructured – (+3mil)
-Lane Johnson – Restructured – Johnson lowers his cap hit this year for being an idiot last year. (+2mil)

---------------

CUTS:
-Connor Barwin - (+7.75 mil)
Ryan Mathews – (+4 mil)
Leodis Mckelvin – (+3.2 mil)
Brent Celek – (+2 mil, post june)
Ron Brooks – (+1.8, post june)
*Both Barbre and Sproles were considered here, but that would leave us pretty thin at positions of need.

---------------

RESIGN:
I wanted to re-sign Bennie Logan, but it looks like Washington, and their oodles of cap space are going to throw a bunch of money at him

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/01/will_redskins_pursue_eagles_free_agent_bennie_loga.html

CB Nolan Carroll (1 year, 4mil) –For whatever reason, the Eagles are interested in bringing him back, Apparently, we’ve been negotiating with him a bunch… He’s a guy who the Eagles have paid, 2.7, 2.9 and 2mil over the past 3 seasons. We throw 4mil his way and he accepts.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/01/eagles_to_continue_contract_talks_with_nolan_carro.html

---------------

EXTEND:
DT Beau Allen (2 year, 3mil) – Allen has been solid as a backup DT, especially as a run stopper. With Bennie Logan leaving for more money, Allen will be relied on even more. We cheaply extend him for the next 2 years.

---------------

TRADES:
-The Eagles trade C Jason Kelce to the Browns for CB Joe Haden – reports were all over the place around the trade deadline that the Browns were shopping the often injured Joe Haden. The Browns are terrible at center, as once again Cam Erving played like a human turnstile (giving up 30 pressures). Which has been the case for Erving at tackle, guard and now center. While Haden has been injured a LOT in his career, he’s always around the football and gets his hands on a lot of balls (footballs). It doesn’t hurt Kelce’s value that he went to the pro bowl this past season. – (+roughly 8 mil to cap)

-The Eagles trade a 2017 2nd, 5th, and LB Mychal Kendricks to the New Orleans Saints for WR Brandin Cooks (I realize the compensation may seem low and I would be open to adding a 2018 pick). There was speculation in early December that due to the emergence of Michael Thomas and Willie Snead, how potent that offense is vs. how horrific that defense is, and Cooks voicing his displeasure over a decrease in targets – that they’d look to move him in the offseason. The Saints currently sit with only 5 draft picks in the 2017 draft. They also sit with the 11th lowest cap room, which isn’t that bad…. But, they have a bunch of role players hitting free agency, a defense that needs SERIOUS help and are going into the last year of Drew Brees’ contract. Kendricks is an upgrade over Dannell Ellerbe for sure. Keep in mind, the Saints traded Kenny Stills after a VERY good year for a 3rd round pick and… Dannell Ellerbe.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750224/article/brandin-cooks-could-be-at-center-of-offseason-trade-talks

which led to this…

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=583378

---------------

FA:
WR Kenny Stills (4 year, 40mil) – We bring in Stills to reunite him with Brandin Cooks! That 2014 Saints team had the 3rd best passing offense in the NFL, with Stills seeing a career year in both catches and yardage. He’s only 24, has good speed and good hands. He’s the type of guy that Wentz (also 24) can grow with (also – Cooks is 23 as well)

Courtesy of jaywood:

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/source_eagles_will_target_kenny_stills_in_free_age.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

-CB Marcus Cooper (3 year, 15mil) - Tall corner (6'2") on the #4 pass defense in the NFL. DP knows him well from their time in KC. He's only 27 years old. The Cardinals are sitting in the bottom half of cap space this offseason with a ton of free agents

-WLB Zach Brown (3 year, 15mil) – Brown is a tackling machine who put up 147 tackles, 4 sacks, 2FF, and an INT in Buffalo this past season. When healthy, Brown is a speedy LB who can be disruptive. He’s only 27 as well.

-SLB Gerald Hodges (3 year, 12mil) – Hodges is 26 and is from the area (born in Woodbury, and went to PSU). On a bad team, he still graded very highly (according to PFF) and put up 83 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FF and 2 INTs. Doubling up on LB help may seem like overkill, but I feel like this is a big area of need for this team. Hodges has versatility as a 4-3 LB, having played all 3 positions in Minnesota. However, his best fit is likely at SLB and as a key reserve. With Nigel Bradham having 2 ongoing cases, suspension may still be possible (add to that, that this is his last season).

-DT Stacy McGee (2 year, 5mil) – McGee was a 9 game starter for the Raiders this past season and was a good pass rusher, putting up 2.5 sacks and 2FF in 221 attempts.

---------------

DRAFT (I realize that the top 3 picks could just as easily be late first rounders, I’m just going off where they typically are in mocks as of today)

TRADE: Once again, we go after the Browns. The Cleveland Browns decide to make a splash and go with three top-15 picks. They trade both their second rounders and a 4th to us for #15. Boooooo!!! Yells the hometown crowd. Why? The Browns currently have the youngest team in the NFL. After last year’s draft, where they drafted 14 players, they again have 13 picks this year (including 11 picks in the first 5 rounds)… to include a MASSIVE amount of money to spend in FA. They’re going to need to develop their young players and focus on consolidating some of those assets to get impact players. 3 top-15 picks is a good start. We make a move to jump up to the top of day 2.

2 : David Njoku – TE – Miami
This may not be a glaring need and will likely be followed by a lot of boo’s. But DP loves to run 2-TE sets. Njoku is a beast who is extremely athletic, breaks a ton of tackles (*pointing at you Ertz) and is a mismatch for most linebackers. Wentz leans heavily on his TE’s and we need an impact one who can break tackles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8Xq0Xm0Oc

TRADE: Howie, Howie, Howie! Sensing an opportunity, Howie offers a 3rd, two 4th rounders and WR Dorial Green-Beckum to the LA Rams for their 2nd rounder (#37). Why? The LA Rams have a total of 2 picks in the first 4 rounds (in the 2nd and 4th). And 5 total picks in this draft. The Rams sport the 30th ranked receiving corp… and 2 of their top 3 receivers (Britt and Quick) are set to be free agents.

2 : Tanoh Kpassagnon – DE – Nova
Tanoh has amazing size (6’7”, 280 pounds) to go with a quick first step and power. He’s raw, but has so much potential as he has the ability to kick inside on passing downs (which is nice to have with Bennie Logan leaving). Tahoh is a guy the Eagles talked to after Senior Bowl practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD9NGhRF33I

2 : Alvin Kamara – RB – Tennessee
Very similar style to Jamaal Charles. Great pass catcher and explosive running style. Kamara is raw… but like Njoku and Tanoh, his potential is through the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-LpaPTjbU

4 : Rasul Douglas – CB – WVU
Douglas is a 6’2”, 200 pound CB who has played extremely well for a wonky 3-3-5 Mountaineers defense that doesn’t really pass rush…. So he’s forced to cover for longer periods of time (ring any bells?). PFF has him on their 2nd team all American list. Questions over whether he’s a safety or corner push him down. But, I think he’s a corner and his playing weight is around 190.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8noA7xQJ0E

6 : Ethan Cooper – G – Indiana-Pa
Again, we stay in our backyard and target a small school kid who is dominating. Scouts are apparently very high on Cooper, saying that he could be a diamond in the rough, based on his height/weight/speed profile (6’3”, 325). He also offers versatility, as he played LT at IUP, but will stick at guard in the pros. This may be a little low for Cooper… Walterfootball has him ranked as their 15th best guard… but over the past 4 years, the average is 15 guards get drafted.

7 : Riley Sorenson – C – Washington St.
Sorenson is a big upgrade in size over Jason Kelce. At 6’4”, 320 pounds, it’s close to a 35 pound difference.

UFA (courtesy of Jeezla)
Ishmael Zamora WR
Cameron Johnston P
Marcus Oliver LB
Stanley "Boom" Williams RB
Corey Levin OG
Dimitri Flowers FB

---------------

SELF ANALYSIS
Strengths:
Massive upgrade/overhaul to the WR corp - While I realize that Stills and Cooks have similar skillsets, they have coexisted with a good possession receiver in the past (Colston, who Jordan Matthews is often compared to).
Upgrade at TE – Njoku offers Wentz an uber athletic TE who can break tackles.
Upgrade at DE – Kpass is an upgrade over Barwin
Upgrade/overhaul at CB – Haden (if healthy) is a big upgrade over Mckelvin. Carroll is a one year stopgap as Mills/Douglas develop.
Upgrades at WLB and LB depth

Negatives/unknowns:
Losing Bennie Logan hurts. I like McGee, Allen and Vaeao… However, this may be an area to address in next year’s draft.
Unknown if Kamara can give you (or better) the production of Ryan Mathews
LT is a huge concern next year (although, our LT is already on the roster in Lane – and RT is easier to find).

---------------

Post Offseason Depth Chart

Offense (25)
QB - Wentz/Daniel
LT - Peters/Gordon
LG – Barbre/Cooper
C - Seumalo/Sorenson
RG - Brooks/Tobin
RT - Johnson/Vaitai
RB - Kamara/Sproles/Smallwood/Barner
FB – Dimitri Flowers
WR - Stills/Cooks/Matthews/Agholor/Zamora
TE - Ertz/Njoku/Burton

Defense (25)
DE - Graham/ Smith/Means
DT - Cox/Vaeao
DT – Allen/McGee
DE – Kpassagnon/Curry
WILL - Brown/Hodges/Grugier-Hill
MLB - Hicks/Walker
SLB - Bradham/Hodges
CB – Haden/Cooper/Carroll/Mills/Douglas
S - Jenkins/McLeod/Maragos/Watkins

Special Teams (3)
LS - Dorenbos
P - Donnie Jones
K - Caleb Sturgis
nlesthought

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write-up love a thorough mock.

Now I might not agree with almost everything in said mock but that's why its a mock. Is this what you want Howie to do or something similar to what you expect him to do?
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
Good write-up love a thorough mock.

Now I might not agree with almost everything in said mock but that's why its a mock. Is this what you want Howie to do or something similar to what you expect him to do?

Thanks bud

I think he will definitely be uber active once again. He usually is. In trades, I looked at teams with their backs against the wall (cap space, not a lot of draft picks, problems on defense or wr, etc). We all know he's going to focus on upgrading wr and cb. I just wanted to give a mock that was different.
DeSean Jackson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love offseason, not so much the draft. I hate the idea of trading out of the first. That offense would be great if we could get cook with our first.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost me at the kelce for haden trade.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Lost me at the kelce for haden trade.

Lol. Why? The browns were looking to trade him at the deadline this season. Plus, cam erving is hot garbage. And Haden is never healthy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's traded this offseason.

And I don't think the compensation will be too high.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't dislike it as much as it horribly unrealistic. Especially those trades.

Restructuring Chase Daniel is a terrible idea.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:

This time last year, what would you have thought about moving away from the Maxwell, Kiko and Demarcos contracts... Along with moving up to #2 for our franchise qb, trading Bradford for.a first, signing 7 free agents, trading Sanchez.... I'd argue that last year's actual offseason would've been called horribly unrealistic if posted as a mock prior.

Or 2015s offseason... Where we traded our all pro RB for Kiko Alonso. Traded Nick Foles for Sam Bradford. Brought in 5 free agents (including the number one RB and corner)
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleDeegle wrote:
EaglesPeteC wrote:

This time last year, what would you have thought about moving away from the Maxwell, Kiko and Demarcos contracts... Along with moving up to #2 for our franchise qb, trading Bradford for.a first, signing 7 free agents, trading Sanchez.... I'd argue that last year's actual offseason would've been called horribly unrealistic if posted as a mock prior.

Or 2015s offseason... Where we traded our all pro RB for Kiko Alonso. Traded Nick Foles for Sam Bradford. Brought in 5 free agents (including the number one RB and corner)

So your off- season strategy is relying on other teams to make Chip Kelly-like epically awful trades.......smart Laughing

Any GM that would trade Brandin Cooks straight up for Mychal Kendricks should not only be fired instantly but probably tarred and feathered.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
DeSean Jackson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
EagleDeegle wrote:
EaglesPeteC wrote:

So your off- season strategy is relying on other teams to make Chip Kelly-like epically awful trades.......smart Laughing

Any GM that would trade Brandin Cooks straight up for Mychal Kendricks should not only be fired instantly but probably tarred and feathered.

can you read? He clearly stated it was a 2nd 5th and Kendricks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redacted.....I misread.

babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll say this .....
Propose your trades in the respective threads.
I'd like (you) to see some feedback.

The Daniel restructure is interesting.
The Johnson restructure is unlikely and stupid on his behalf.
The Barwin restructure is missing.

Re-signing Carroll is a mistake in my opinion.

Somehow, the Eagles trade for Marcus Cooper, but get what, Marcus Peters?
Do you know what you're really getting?
This makes a difference in your lack of attention to the single greatest weakness on the team.

I actually like trading down, given certain circumstances, however .....
You sign a career mediocre CB in FA and then don't draft one until the 4th.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
OK, I'll say this .....
Propose your trades in the respective threads.
I'd like (you) to see some feedback.

The Daniel restructure is interesting.
The Johnson restructure is unlikely and stupid on his behalf.
The Barwin restructure is missing.

Re-signing Carroll is a mistake in my opinion.

Somehow, the Eagles trade for Marcus Cooper, but get what, Marcus Peters?
Do you know what you're really getting?
This makes a difference in your lack of attention to the single greatest weakness on the team.

I actually like trading down, given certain circumstances, however .....
You sign a career mediocre CB in FA and then don't draft one until the 4th.

I have no idea what the bolded part even means. We traded for Joe Haden.... And signed Cooper in FA.

I see what you're saying about Cooper being a meh option. He's not muuuch better than Carroll. It's just tough targeting 2nd tier CBs. Especially given the lack of FA dollars to go around. In hindsight, maybe I would've used one of the second rounders to go after a corner

http://raisingzona.com/2017/01/27/arizona-cardinals-free-agent-preview-marcus-cooper/

Why would we restructure barwin? He's not a fit at all

Re-signing Carroll is just for insurance. And the 4th round corner is a good one
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question: do you know how restructuring actually works?

EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
Serious question: do you know how restructuring actually works?

Hahaha. Yes Eagles Pete C.

Restructuring usually moves money from a base salary into a signing bonus. It's used to create cap room now at the expense of future caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: