Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raider MockDraft from Sting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sting_


Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Raider MockDraft from Sting Reply with quote

Introduction: Long time reader, first time poster. Can you please grade the following

Releases:
R Nelson
Dan Williams
Restructures-
Seabass 4.4M - think about it, that is close to 1/5 of Carrs contract
Howard- played all last year hurt. Not the best, but I’ll rather focus free agency on Defense.
New Contracts:
Derek Carr - 6y 132m -- Carr gets taken care, he makes 22m a year...Around Russell Wilson money, because he wants to win
22m
M Watson- 1y 1.5m- year to stay healthy, new role as swing tackle
P Riley - 2 y 6m – 2 down thumper
N Allen- 2y 5m – 3rd safety, cap friendly deal
B Trawick- 2y 3m- depth player, special team stud
D Bates 2y 2m- special teams stud
J Condo- 1y 1m- bring back the vet
D Hayden- 1y 2.8 might take heat for this, but I would sign him back with the expectation Carrie or Elder take him out in the depth chart
Free Agency-
Tony Jefferson SS - slides Joseph over to FS, Jefferson plays with a mean streak, and will test free agency. This is another free agent who will be in demand. Alternative could be Cyrprien or TJ Mcdonald.
Nick Fairley UT- Has played solid for Sains, but they drafted Sheldon Rankins who plays the same position. I wouldn’t mind Mcgee, but I would try upgrade with a better interior pash rusher. Not sure what his market will be, but last two offseason no one has thrown his a lot of money. I would sign him to similar deals to Smith and Nelson, where basically year 1 is locked in but flexibility after that. Signing a vet, would also allow Latham and Ward time to develop as an understudy.
J Hankins NT- would be the toughest player to sign. Not sure of ties to the team, but Giants have invested a lot in their dline. JPP is a free agent, and I think they elect to go that route. Reggie has a history of investing in the trenches in free agency. He is going be in demand, but we need to push hard.
Dion Jordan Edge- A bust? Yes, but I would take a gamble for the minimum for a potential pass rusher. Sort of like the gamble Reggie made on Trent Richardson. If it doesn’t work out, we move on. We have to take low risk gambles and can’t just sign studs anymore, due to paydays of our core
Johnny Manziel QB - yes, Johnny Football. This is just a wildcard as an invite to camp. Minimum with no guaranteed money. Carr and Johnny are cool, and I want Cook to get competition. Ideally Cook outshines him and tears it up this offseason.

Draft

1- Hassan Reddick – OLB maybe the MVP of the senior bowl. Is a twitch athlete who was productive in college. A bit undersized as a DE in NFL, but the guy is hard to block when he goes after the QB. Can be moved around, type of player our team goes after
2- Samaje Perine -RB – power back, who set rushing records at Oklahoma. Wasn’t run to the ground either with sharing carries with Joe Mixon. Might not be a probowl player, but good complement physical runner. Don’ta Freeman/Brian Hill could be alternatives here.
3- Tawyan Taylor WR – Instant upgrade to the slot, and could be Crabtree eventual replacement. My sleeper of a draft, small school kid who produces in college and has all the skills. Hopefully he is there in 3rd. We reportedly be linked to him.
4- Corn Elder CB – deep corner class, a few will drop day 3. We have been linked to Elder, he tested out as an athlete and was ALL ACC First team by coaches.
5- Josh Tupou, DT – more enforcement to patch up the run defense. Massive man who excels in anchoring
6- Jalen Maybin MLB- I believe he drops for two reasons: his size, and injury. A guy from Reggies school, and plays bigger then his size.
7- Derrick Griffin TE – former NBA prospect, who would be a gamble with decent potential at this point. I wouldn’t want to invest to high on tight end, as I still have hope for Walford.

2017 Roster
Offense
QB: Carr, Cook , Manziel
RB: Perine, Richard, Washington, Jones
FB: Olewale
WR: Cooper, Roberts, Holton/Mickens
WR: Crabtree, Taylor
TE: Walford, Smith, Griffin
LT: Penn
LG: KO, Alexander
C: Hudson, Feli
RG: Jackson, Kirkland
RT: Howard, Watson
Defense
Base: Edwards, Autry
Leo: Mack, Jordan/Calhoun/Cowser
UT: Fairley, Ward/Latham
NT: Hankins, Jelly/Tupou
WLB: Reddick, Heeney/Ball
MLB: Riley, James/Maybin
SLB: Irvin, Aldon
CB: Smith, Carrie, Mcdonald/Hamilton
CB: Amerson, Hayden, Elder
FS: Joseph, Allen
SS: Jefferson, Trawick

Specialists
K: Jano
P: King
LS/Specialists: Condo, Bates
Conclusion: I was tempted to release S Smith and sign a stud corner, but I’m already reaching our 2 big free agent signings in Jefferson and Hankins. I would elect to sign Carr this offseason and next offseason taking care of Mack. 2018 draft we could pursue of LT of the future. Could easily release Sean Smith, Austin Howard, Aldon to take care of Mack. I let Murray walk due to saving money for future deals of Cooper and Gabe Jackson.


Last edited by Sting_ on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3825
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'No sir, I don't like it.'

Hankins cool but think REACHING hard in the early rounds of the draft. Jefferson ok but rather roll with a rookie backing up Nelson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sting_


Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
'No sir, I don't like it.'

Hankins cool but think REACHING hard in the early rounds of the draft. Jefferson ok but rather roll with a rookie backing up Nelson.


who is a reach?

1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76cLlT_kE0

2- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUpMjP-tfw

I know everyone looks good in a highlight but take a few things from the video. Perine brings the thunder when he runs. Reddick is a football player and a great athlete. Taylor couldn't be contained when he played Bama

3- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpX1aI6jtpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sting_


Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
'No sir, I don't like it.'

Hankins cool but think REACHING hard in the early rounds of the draft. Jefferson ok but rather roll with a rookie backing up Nelson.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_fexME6MW0

Perrine set the NCAA rushing record against Ben Heeney lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heart of Oak


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 3144
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly Sting, welcome to the forum.

The releases are fine, restructures are sound and the new contract for Carr is something I want to see happen this year. Bringing Hayden back is fine as long as we don't give him much guaranteed $$$$.

In free agency, I think we will struggle to get Fairley who I believe has expressed an interest in staying in the New Orleans area, and there is a suggestion that will get sorted prior to FA. Dion Jordan on vet min is worth a look, though I doubt it comes to much, though Manziel I wouldn't touch with a stick. I wouldn't even encourage one of our divisional rivals to sign him for the off the field distraction he can cause.

I like Reddick though I have him as a high second (but if we want him he won't be there when we draft in the 2nd - imo), but I am worried about his ability to play coverage given that he largely played EDGE in college. I am not saying he cannot do it, just that the evidence base is quite low. Perine fits the bill as the bigger back, but I probably wouldn't draft RB in the second given we have Washington and Richard. I think we can do better than Taylor, but Elder would be a sound pick-up in the 4th.

I don't know that much about Tupou, Maybin and Griffen.

Overall, I would grade as a C. Reddick is not too much of a reach, but he could be considered a little bit 'reachy' if you know what I mean. I don't think we will get a chance at Fairley and Manziel is a straight out no...never.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sting_


Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart of Oak wrote:
Firstly Sting, welcome to the forum.

The releases are fine, restructures are sound and the new contract for Carr is something I want to see happen this year. Bringing Hayden back is fine as long as we don't give him much guaranteed $$$$.

In free agency, I think we will struggle to get Fairley who I believe has expressed an interest in staying in the New Orleans area, and there is a suggestion that will get sorted prior to FA. Dion Jordan on vet min is worth a look, though I doubt it comes to much, though Manziel I wouldn't touch with a stick. I wouldn't even encourage one of our divisional rivals to sign him for the off the field distraction he can cause.

I like Reddick though I have him as a high second (but if we want him he won't be there when we draft in the 2nd - imo), but I am worried about his ability to play coverage given that he largely played EDGE in college. I am not saying he cannot do it, just that the evidence base is quite low. Perine fits the bill as the bigger back, but I probably wouldn't draft RB in the second given we have Washington and Richard. I think we can do better than Taylor, but Elder would be a sound pick-up in the 4th.

I don't know that much about Tupou, Maybin and Griffen.

Overall, I would grade as a C. Reddick is not too much of a reach, but he could be considered a little bit 'reachy' if you know what I mean. I don't think we will get a chance at Fairley and Manziel is a straight out no...never.
Manziel as a camp invite? would it hurt, Carr reached out to him. Taylor is 6'1 4.35 with skills, a true gem. What would you want in the second? Fairley might want to stay, but is it mutual? Money talks. Dom Easley could be an alternative for an additional interior pash rusher. Thanks for the welcome and grade
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bone_Collector


Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 1172
Location: So. Cal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you not have the wrestler Sting as your avatar? Lol

But anyways welcome. I think you made some good signings but where is the help at LB? That's our biggest need outside of interior rush.
_________________


Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 16634
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Ot's?
_________________
green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you


Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sting_


Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone_Collector wrote:
How do you not have the wrestler Sting as your avatar? Lol

But anyways welcome. I think you made some good signings but where is the help at LB? That's our biggest need outside of interior rush.
I think we should bring back Perry Riley as a 2down MLB. Zach Brown is going get paid after career year, maybe Hodges could be brought in. I like Ruben Foster but he will be gone. I did mock an OLB in the first to help the unit. Also I think controlling the trenches will make it easier for the LB unit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sting_


Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
No Ot's?
I have been looking at Cam Robinson if he somehow slips to 24. I don't like this OT draft class, and don't want to overspend on RT in free agency. Penn is still going strong, so 2018 would be the year I attack finding the LT of the future. RT Moton or Davenport are tempting in the 3rd, but Howard was injured all last year and I actually kinda think Alexander could be the RT of the future. I think adding a blue chip LB and two young playmakers would be a score
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heart of Oak


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 3144
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sting_ wrote:
Heart of Oak wrote:
Firstly Sting, welcome to the forum.

The releases are fine, restructures are sound and the new contract for Carr is something I want to see happen this year. Bringing Hayden back is fine as long as we don't give him much guaranteed $$$$.

In free agency, I think we will struggle to get Fairley who I believe has expressed an interest in staying in the New Orleans area, and there is a suggestion that will get sorted prior to FA. Dion Jordan on vet min is worth a look, though I doubt it comes to much, though Manziel I wouldn't touch with a stick. I wouldn't even encourage one of our divisional rivals to sign him for the off the field distraction he can cause.

I like Reddick though I have him as a high second (but if we want him he won't be there when we draft in the 2nd - imo), but I am worried about his ability to play coverage given that he largely played EDGE in college. I am not saying he cannot do it, just that the evidence base is quite low. Perine fits the bill as the bigger back, but I probably wouldn't draft RB in the second given we have Washington and Richard. I think we can do better than Taylor, but Elder would be a sound pick-up in the 4th.

I don't know that much about Tupou, Maybin and Griffen.

Overall, I would grade as a C. Reddick is not too much of a reach, but he could be considered a little bit 'reachy' if you know what I mean. I don't think we will get a chance at Fairley and Manziel is a straight out no...never.
Manziel as a camp invite? would it hurt, Carr reached out to him. Taylor is 6'1 4.35 with skills, a true gem. What would you want in the second? Fairley might want to stay, but is it mutual? Money talks. Dom Easley could be an alternative for an additional interior pash rusher. Thanks for the welcome and grade


On Manziel, I don't care if Derek has him over to play Madden, or whether he is on Reggie's Christmas card list, signing self-absorbed party boys is not a good idea. Does he need help...yes, should we sign him...no. Just my humble opinion of course and I respect that you may feel differently.

On Taylor, the kid has a skillset, but I much prefer a prospect like Kupp (who may be gone by our 3rd round in fairness). Cooper Kupp (again in my opinion) just looks a little more polished. That aside, there is an argument for using this pick on RT or defense.

I would prefer to use the second round pick either on a guy like Moton at OT or perhaps a DB like Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Jourdan Lewis or Gareon Conley - they won't all be available, but probably at least one will. Perine is the type of back I think we need, but to be honest, James Conner (who most think is a 4th rounder) fits the need just as well.

Lastly, on Fairley, I don't know if it is mutual. However, usually when a player says something along the lines of "I really like playing here, living in the area" etc etc, he is usually saying I want to stay and get a good contract, but I won't be impossible to deal with. Fairley is one of the few things the Saints have going on defense so they would be mad to let him go unless he wants a stupid contract.

Again, the whole art of a mock is personal opinion, so I am not necessarily right, I am just commenting and grading on how I feel about the prospects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaliforniaKid7


Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 9272
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the absolute best case scenario for signing Manziel if he somehow gets there? I see no positives and only negatives that can come. Absolutely not worth it and it does not make any sense to me. We don't need him or Jordan, move on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RoyalMajesty51o


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 843
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting SS-Tony Jefferson and NT-Johnathan Hankins would be HUGE for this defense. Two huge additions to a young defensive core of FS-Karl Joseph and LDE-Khalil Mack that all will be 26-years-old or younger come next season. RDE-Mario Edwards Jr. need to show us he can be healthy and 3T-Jihad Ward need to show us something before these two players can even be consider as part of the young defensive core along with SS-Tony Jefferson, FS-Karl Joseph, LDE-Khalil Mack, NT-Johnathan Hankins, and hopefully, a stud CB/MLB/WLB from the 2017 NFL Draft.

I don't want CB-D.J. Hayden and QB-Johnny Manziel anywhere near this team come next season. Use that money on better players. $2.8 mil for CB-D.J. Hayden? I rather use that money on a bucket of lifelong chicken from Popeyes.

About your 2017 NFL Mock Draft, it just need a minor fix, but I like it. I feel like you reached on a few players (Haason Reddick, Samanje Perine, and Taywan Taylor). You can go with a stud CB in the 1st round, Haason Reddick in the 2nd round, Samange Perine in the 3rd round, Taywan Taylor in the 4th round, Josh Tupou in the 5th round, Jalen Maybin in the 6th round, and Derrick Griffin in the 7th round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoyalMajesty51o


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 843
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sting_ wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
No Ot's?
I have been looking at Cam Robinson if he somehow slips to 24. I don't like this OT draft class, and don't want to overspend on RT in free agency. Penn is still going strong, so 2018 would be the year I attack finding the LT of the future. RT Moton or Davenport are tempting in the 3rd, but Howard was injured all last year and I actually kinda think Alexander could be the RT of the future. I think adding a blue chip LB and two young playmakers would be a score


LG-Vadal Alexander doesn't have the speed to play outside. He's perfectly fine inside as a mauler at LG. Great depth behind LG-Kelechi Osemele. I would love to get my guy RT-Taylor Moton in the 3rd round to finally put to rest the RT position for once and for all, but some folks want a RB instead. I like my guy RB-Darius Victor as one of the late round steals and address the RT position with RT-Taylor Moton, but that's just me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chwf3rd25


Joined: 27 Aug 2015
Posts: 264
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FA signings are fine with the exception of Manziel, I just don't see the upside of signing a backup QB who is going to take away so much attention from the team. He's not good enough for us to take that kind of risk of him messing up our locker room and being the subject of all of the offseason headlines.

I REALLY don't like the draft. I like Reddick as a player and I think he has great potential as a LB but he never did it in college. however you did keep Perry so we would have the ability to keep Reddick on the bench year 1 or use him as a situational player, so I don't hate the pick.

My biggest issues however are with the 2nd and 3rd picks. Both of the players were taken 2 rounds too high, I have Perine below Leo, Cook, Mixon, Caff, Hunt, Foreman, and Jamaal Williams. The second round is a high pick to spend on a RB and I don't think it's prudent to use such a valuable pick on a RB unless they have the potential to be a special player, which you even said Perine does not possess. I like Taylor as well but I like him because he could represent a good value in the 5th or 6th round, not the 3rd round where you are passing on a lot of more talented WRs. Also, I don't think we would use 2 of our top 3 picks on offensive skill players unless the value is too great to pass on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group