Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles Cap Situation [as of Jan. 31]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Eagles Cap Situation [as of Jan. 31] Reply with quote

Lot of talk about the cap space, so thought I'd go ahead and make a thread for those interested. Source.
Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles head into the 2017 offseason with a projected $7.2 million in salary cap space, which doesn't count the $7.9 million in rollover cap from last offseason.

With a salary cap floor expected to be between $166 to $170 million this offseason, the Eagles are projected to have between $10-14 million in cap space (pending on how much the Eagles decide to rollover this offseason).
Quote:
Five biggest cap hits:

Jason Peters ($11.2 million), Lane Johnson ($10 million), Fletcher Cox ($9.4 million), Vinny Curry ($9 million), Connor Barwin ($8.3 million).

Five biggest cap saves
:

Peters ($9.2 million), Barwin ($7.75 million), Brandon Graham ($5.5 million), Ryan Mathews ($4 million), Darren Sproles ($4 million).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barwin and Mathews are no brainers on the cut part.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider trading Sproles for a pick.
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sproles, and think he makes our team better, but being #5 on highest cap savings is certainly not an enviable position for a role player.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
I like Sproles, and think he makes our team better, but being #5 on highest cap savings is certainly not an enviable position for a role player.

He lead our team in yards from scrimmage last year. He's not in any danger of losing his spot on this team.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Phire wrote:

He lead our team in yards from scrimmage last year. He's not in any danger of losing his spot on this team.

I don't disagree with that. He's a good player, and mostly lead yards from scrimmage because literally everybody else on offense sucks. But he's valuable on special teams as well as on offense.

But again, a to-be 34 year old RB who mostly plays special teams and under ordinary circumstances will be a third-down back (2016 was not an ordinary year at the RB position) being the fifth highest cap save is not an enviable position.

Is he in danger of losing a roster spot? Probably not. But that doesn't mean there won't be discussions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Phire wrote:

I don't disagree with that. He's a good player, and mostly lead yards from scrimmage because literally everybody else on offense sucks. But he's valuable on special teams as well as on offense.

But again, a to-be 34 year old RB who mostly plays special teams and under ordinary circumstances will be a third-down back (2016 was not an ordinary year at the RB position) being the fifth highest cap save is not an enviable position.

Is he in danger of losing a roster spot? Probably not. But that doesn't mean there won't be discussions.

If I could get a 3rd I'd ship him. Baltimore? Miami? TB? Playoff-caliber teams that I wouldn't have to see in his last year.

Problem is a team wouldn't be willing to give up much for a 1 yr deal. So in essence he hurt his chances at a ring while hurting our situation with the contract.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this source article is correct with cap space.

I think this is a more accurate view of the 2017 cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/2017/

Also they are throwing the term "likely" very loosely.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see us let Peters or Chase go.

If we cut Peters, Barwn, Chase, Celek, Mathews and McKelvin that gets us up to 35M in cap room.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:

If we cut Peters, Barwn, Chase, Celek, Mathews and McKelvin that gets us up to 35M in cap room.

Chase saves us no money because $5 million of his base is guaranteed.

Cutting Celek does nothing for us either.

I'd much rather let Kelce go than Peters.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
nlesthought

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Chase saves us no money because $5 million of his base is guaranteed.

Cutting Celek does nothing for us either.

I'd much rather let Kelce go than Peters.

Somebody list how much for each person...

What about Ron Brooks?

I sort of hope they tabled talks with Nolan Carroll, didn't realize he was 30

Yeah prefer Kelce to be cut over Peters but the FO will take a PR hit cutting either especially Kelce coming off a Probowl year and Peters a fan fav.

Restructures don't work IMO now you're asking a guy to take a backloaded contract or less money and unless he's on the way out or has never asked for a huge payout I don't see guys in the NFL doing that.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we would still pay chase daniels 7 million dollars this year if we cut him so i doubt the eagles do that to save 1 million dollars. more value in just having the back up pederson wants.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
EagleBlueDon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players I really want gone are Barwin, Mathews and McKelvin. Don't re-sign Carroll. Ron Brooks can stay but only as like a 5th CB. Keep that Oline intact with Peters and Kelce. Sproles stays for his last season. Wouldn't mind Jaylen Watkins leaving, every time he hit my screen he was involved in some miscommunication. Bring Burton back.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing this from memory from my last mock but we save the following amounts if the following players were cut or traded

Peters $9 mill and change
Barwin $7.7 mill
Sproles $4 mill
Mathews $4 mill
Kelce $3.8 mill
McKelvin $3.5 mill
Kendricks $2 mill (I woudn't cut him but maybe trade if the right offer came about)
Ron Brooks $1.8 mill
Marcus Smith $1 mill or so
Daniel $1 mill ($6 if traded)
Celek- Less than $1 mill I think

Jeezla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut Peters if he won't re-do his deal. We need to build for the future, and his contract prevents that, even if he still has one more good year in him. Thank you for all you've done, but you are killing our cap.
We aren't winning a SB this coming season with or without Peters, so the Lane Johnson at LT era might as well start now so we can maybe add one or two guys in FA who will still be playing 2-5 years from now. If we can trade him for a 5th round pick to a contender, even better. Trade him to the Packers or Steelers.
Cutting Barwin is a no-brainer imo. Same for Leodis and R Mat.

Draft: OJH, C Davis, J Mixon, T Basham, S Jones, H Wilson, G Kittle, T Kpass, B Brown #20
Fly Eagles Fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: