Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is There A Law Against Talking About Solomon Thomas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanS wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
VanS wrote:
3-4 DE.

He's a shorter JJ Watt.

Special talent.

#2 overall on my big board behind Myles Garrett.

At 275 pounds? If he's anywhere near where he's listed at, he's going to get mauled in the run game.

It hasn't stopped Aaron Donald from being dominant.

I see Solomon Thomas being just fine against the run at 280 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% on board with those saying "Let the film do the talking."

People need to stop fixating on what a guy's H/W should be. Take the prospect as is and let the film tell you if he's good enough. Otherwise, you let guys like Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Mike Daniels, and Jurrell Casey fall through the cracks.

But getting to my point, I think people need to pull back on invoking Aaron Donald. Yes, Donald is 285 to 290 pounds. But Donald is also 6'0" to 6'1". That's a bit different than 6'3" 275.

Now, don't get me wrong here, if Thomas is as freakishly powerful and explosive as Donald, I don't care that he's 275. He'll find a spot on the DL where he's successful.

I will also point out to those who doubt that Thomas could play 3-4 DE at 6'3" 280 that Frostee Rucker is one of the best run stopping 3-4 DEs in football at 6'3" 280.

Simply put, people need to not define this guy by his size. If he can play, his team will find a spot where he's successful, whether that's at 4-3 LDE, 4-3 UT, or 3-4 DE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a totally different body type to Donald, does all his work with his upper body and doesn't have anything near the trunk and girth. He doesn't have anything the like get off or explosion of Donald either. This comparison is weird. He's way more Joey Bosa or Michael Bennett if you want to give the guy a flattering NFL comparison, a base end who can rush inside.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
He's a totally different body type to Donald, does all his work with his upper body and doesn't have anything near the trunk and girth. He doesn't have anything the like get off or explosion of Donald either. This comparison is weird. He's way more Joey Bosa or Michael Bennett if you want to give the guy a flattering NFL comparison, a base end who can rush inside.

That's the right comparison, imo.
FreeDaJags

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's more like Michael Bennett than Bosa. Bosa can bend the edge.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone post that he is a touch lighter Malik Jackson. I mean, I kind of like that one.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeDaJags wrote:
He's more like Michael Bennett than Bosa. Bosa can bend the edge.

That's true, it was more about body types and how they would be employed. Bennett works better if you want to go down that route.
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I've heard of him but yeah seems like he could be a good 1. Be interesting to see how he does at the combine.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techbert wrote:
Slow on the field? The only way someone could say he looked slow on the field is if their medical marijuana had kicked in. He's a rocket once he gets through.

If you look back, the times he is not moving much is when he is positioning himself for cutbacks. That, and when he is being flagrantly held.

Elite motor. Elite getoff, as in the opposite of Derrick Barnett (plays a bit heavier than Barnett, too.) Knows how to get skinny splitting the linemen. Elite hand use. Sophisticated bull rush techniques. Has a spin move.

Elite diagnoses of screens, etc. Moves easily through traffic and runs down backs going the other way. Good COD. Puts his arms up, even when double teamed. Usually stays on his feet. Aware of his lanes vs. mobile qb's.

Nicest guy off the field, but has that switch and is demonic on. He'll throw teammates out of his way. Sure tackler. He will wave an arm to slow a guy down but that is only when that is his only play.

The question is where to play him. Too small for NFL DT (like Aaron Donald) and an inch shorter than purists want their DE to be. Some talk of him as a linebacker, but I would not do that. I'd put his hand down and keep him outside (in either 3/4 DT or 4/3 DE) and move him inside on some passing downs. Left side is fine. There is a lot of pressure these days from the left side.

I'd say he played DT for Stanford about 70% of the time, but I did not count. Would line up wide 9 quite a bit but usually stunted inside. Is that because that was his best use, or because he was the only lineman Stanford had? Well, he led them in tackles, sacks, tfl etc from DT, if that tells you something. They also kept him on the field, like all the time, which took away from his effectiveness. Whatever position he plays, he's a football player.

I don't care what his 40 will be. I expect a good SS and 3C time, and will only be troubled if he tanks those.

One hump move away from the HOF.

EDIT: he also plays big in big games, which is nice

Bananas, he doesn't even play for USC. Confused Laughing
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
smetana34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
Techbert wrote:
Slow on the field? The only way someone could say he looked slow on the field is if their medical marijuana had kicked in. He's a rocket once he gets through.

If you look back, the times he is not moving much is when he is positioning himself for cutbacks. That, and when he is being flagrantly held.

Elite motor. Elite getoff, as in the opposite of Derrick Barnett (plays a bit heavier than Barnett, too.) Knows how to get skinny splitting the linemen. Elite hand use. Sophisticated bull rush techniques. Has a spin move.

Elite diagnoses of screens, etc. Moves easily through traffic and runs down backs going the other way. Good COD. Puts his arms up, even when double teamed. Usually stays on his feet. Aware of his lanes vs. mobile qb's.

Nicest guy off the field, but has that switch and is demonic on. He'll throw teammates out of his way. Sure tackler. He will wave an arm to slow a guy down but that is only when that is his only play.

The question is where to play him. Too small for NFL DT (like Aaron Donald) and an inch shorter than purists want their DE to be. Some talk of him as a linebacker, but I would not do that. I'd put his hand down and keep him outside (in either 3/4 DT or 4/3 DE) and move him inside on some passing downs. Left side is fine. There is a lot of pressure these days from the left side.

I'd say he played DT for Stanford about 70% of the time, but I did not count. Would line up wide 9 quite a bit but usually stunted inside. Is that because that was his best use, or because he was the only lineman Stanford had? Well, he led them in tackles, sacks, tfl etc from DT, if that tells you something. They also kept him on the field, like all the time, which took away from his effectiveness. Whatever position he plays, he's a football player.

I don't care what his 40 will be. I expect a good SS and 3C time, and will only be troubled if he tanks those.

One hump move away from the HOF.

EDIT: he also plays big in big games, which is nice

Bananas, he doesn't even play for USC. Confused Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Playboy sounds like a can't miss prospect. Let's begin creating his bust for Canton now

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like he's top 10 in most mock drafts that I see. Is that not enough recognition? Does he need his own thread? I don't see the problem.

This thread makes it sound like he's not getting first round consideration when he's gone before 15 in every mock draft.
Geek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter video of him running the 20 yard shuttle in 4.09, I hand timed it at around 4.12

https://mobile.twitter.com/clevezirm/status/829105684461465601/video/1

for the record, Von ran it in 4.06 and Vic in 4.16

I'm all aboard the Niners taking him at 2.
VanS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:
Twitter video of him running the 20 yard shuttle in 4.09, I hand timed it at around 4.12

https://mobile.twitter.com/clevezirm/status/829105684461465601/video/1

for the record, Von ran it in 4.06 and Vic in 4.16

I'm all aboard the Niners taking him at 2.

That would be a great pick by the Niners rather than reaching for a QB at 2.

Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas should go #1 and #2 in this draft. They are the top 2 players IMO.
FreeDaJags

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the Niners and Chicago pass on him because of his lack of length and the Jags scoop him up.
G08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears would look at him as a 5T, Fangio seems to demand at least 33" arms, curious about this dude's length.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:

I can't imagine a worse analysis than this one, its like you just looked at his arms and assume he does all of his work up top, his lower body is just as or even more impressive as his upper body...

And I personally wouldn't waste his talents in a 3-4 but thats just me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: