Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is There A Law Against Talking About Solomon Thomas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Is There A Law Against Talking About Solomon Thomas? Reply with quote

Cuz he good. No one saying anything. Weird.
Jlash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a ton about Soloman Thomas. Coming off a bowl week he wasn't a part of though I don't think it's all that unreasonable that lots of underclassmen haven't been spoken of this past week.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think he's a superstar? I like him, but I don't think he becomes anything other than an above average starter. I don't expect him to time like a freak, which some have indicated he will. He has jarring hand power and good size, but I don't know if I see him as a traditional edge bending DE. And I think he lacks the pure mass to play DT on a full-time basis. To me, he looks like a stout base DE that needs to use more finesse rush moves to counter his bull rush. He also needs to finish better, as I've seen him struggle to make tackles in space.
brownie man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw a mock this morning with him going to San Fran at 2

If they don't go QB I could kinda see it, but kinda not.

Yeah hes a edge player, but I dont think you want him there all three downs. He's dynamic trait is being able to rush from the inside on passing downs giving you the ability to put in another pass rusher off your bench.

but in San Fran your not taking Buckner and Armstead off the field so he'd pretty much be on the edge all the time

Thats wasting his skillset to a certain extent keeping him on the edge all the time.

I think he'd make alot of sense in Jacksonville being able to throw Solomon, Yannick, Dante, and Malik as your four down lineman in pass rushing situations would be nasty.

I think New Orleans would be his best fit though. They could use him everywhere so he could really play different positions week by week.

I never even predicted Kizer to fail, I simply said he was an over drafted project. Now tell me that I am wrong in that regard.

^^^^
This dude is gonna look real bad
BrownLeader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
Do you guys think he's a superstar? I like him, but I don't think he becomes anything other than an above average starter. I don't expect him to time like a freak, which some have indicated he will. He has jarring hand power and good size, but I don't know if I see him as a traditional edge bending DE. And I think he lacks the pure mass to play DT on a full-time basis. To me, he looks like a stout base DE that needs to use more finesse rush moves to counter his bull rush. He also needs to finish better, as I've seen him struggle to make tackles in space.

He's a couple of large pizzas away from 285. And the rumored freak testing comes from David Shaw. He doesn't strike me as a guy that gets into much hyperbole.

2017 Pre Draft Mock *Full Draft* | talkdraft.net
pnies20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing buzz he'll run in the 4.5s at the combine. I don't care what 40 he runs, he looks slow on the field. He's a late 1st-top 2nd type player to me.
BrownLeader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
I keep hearing buzz he'll run in the 4.5s at the combine. I don't care what 40 he runs, he looks slow on the field. He's a late 1st-top 2nd type player to me.

Does he look as slow on the field as Garrett or Allen?

CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legitimate question, what's his position in the NFL?

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I still don't get the top five hype at all. He's a strong man left defensive end who can rush the passer from inside against slow footed guards. He's not an edge bender. I don't see any of the incredible athleticism that has been talked about. He reminds me most of Trey Flowers who's had an excellent year as stout run defender on the edge who can slip his way into the backfield on occasion.
MWil23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be WAY wrong with my comparison here, but for whatever reason, I'm getting some strong Adam Carriker vibes with Thomas...unless he tests unbelievably well at the combine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I don't see a slow player at all. Especially for someone as thickly built in the lower half as he is. He's a very similar build to Charles Johnson, and I think he could be a better athlete.
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow on the field? The only way someone could say he looked slow on the field is if their medical marijuana had kicked in. He's a rocket once he gets through.

If you look back, the times he is not moving much is when he is positioning himself for cutbacks. That, and when he is being flagrantly held.

Elite motor. Elite getoff, as in the opposite of Derrick Barnett (plays a bit heavier than Barnett, too.) Knows how to get skinny splitting the linemen. Elite hand use. Sophisticated bull rush techniques. Has a spin move.

Elite diagnoses of screens, etc. Moves easily through traffic and runs down backs going the other way. Good COD. Puts his arms up, even when double teamed. Usually stays on his feet. Aware of his lanes vs. mobile qb's.

Nicest guy off the field, but has that switch and is demonic on. He'll throw teammates out of his way. Sure tackler. He will wave an arm to slow a guy down but that is only when that is his only play.

The question is where to play him. Too small for NFL DT (like Aaron Donald) and an inch shorter than purists want their DE to be. Some talk of him as a linebacker, but I would not do that. I'd put his hand down and keep him outside (in either 3/4 DT or 4/3 DE) and move him inside on some passing downs. Left side is fine. There is a lot of pressure these days from the left side.

I'd say he played DT for Stanford about 70% of the time, but I did not count. Would line up wide 9 quite a bit but usually stunted inside. Is that because that was his best use, or because he was the only lineman Stanford had? Well, he led them in tackles, sacks, tfl etc from DT, if that tells you something. They also kept him on the field, like all the time, which took away from his effectiveness. Whatever position he plays, he's a football player.

I don't care what his 40 will be. I expect a good SS and 3C time, and will only be troubled if he tanks those.

One hump move away from the HOF.

EDIT: he also plays big in big games, which is nice

Last edited by Techbert on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
VanS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Legitimate question, what's his position in the NFL?

3-4 DE.

He's a shorter JJ Watt.

Special talent.

#2 overall on my big board behind Myles Garrett.
BrownLeader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techbert wrote:

The question is where to play him. Too small for NFL DT (like Aaron Donald)

Wait..does Aaron Donald not play DT for the Rams any more?

CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still January. Superbowl still hasn't been played. Combine is coming up in about a month. Thomas will blow up in early March.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: