You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is There A Law Against Talking About Solomon Thomas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownLeader wrote:
Techbert wrote:

The question is where to play him. Too small for NFL DT (like Aaron Donald)

Wait..does Aaron Donald not play DT for the Rams any more?

He does. But a lot of people said he was too small to play DT when he was a prospect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanS wrote:
3-4 DE.

He's a shorter JJ Watt.

Special talent.

#2 overall on my big board behind Myles Garrett.

At 275 pounds? If he's anywhere near where he's listed at, he's going to get mauled in the run game.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
VanS wrote:
3-4 DE.

He's a shorter JJ Watt.

Special talent.

At 275 pounds? If he's anywhere near where he's listed at, he's going to get mauled in the run game.

He's got some bubble, and thick thighs. He could grow to 290-305 and retain enough quickness for the inside, or shed to stay at end. Heck, could sculpt down to 250 and stand up, but I wouldn't. He could, and he might.

He plays too frantically to ever get fat.

Let's break it down.

0 technique - not going to play there
1 technique - not going to play there
3 technique - can play there at 275 on passing downs, or bulk up for every down play (but I wouldn't)
5 technique - strong enough to play there at 275 if he gets breathers, or can bulk up to 290 for 80%+ of the snaps and be vital player
6/7 technique - can play there at 275 all day and star
9 technique - has experience doing it. would shed a few pounds in NFL and do fine.
3-4 rush linebacker - could shed and do it - would need to show he is smooth in backpedal at combine
3-4 sam - see above, but moreso
3-4 inside - see above, but why do this?
4-3 linebacker - not going to play there

I don't think you guys give him the credit he is due for his closing speed. He had a lot of responsibilities (which prevented him from pinning his ears back) and he was the only lineman Stanford had, so Shaw had him heavier than optimal for him. He'd still blast through after splitting the double team. Let's see the weight he shows in Indy, and how he moves.

I see him as a football player, and he will be one of the best 11 on any team.
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
It's still January. Superbowl still hasn't been played. Combine is coming up in about a month. Thomas will blow up in early March.

I'd like some clarification. Honest question.

In the past, I seem to think you had the mindset that you should base your evaluation on what a player does on the field, and don't be swayed by what they do in shorts. Have you drifted from that position, or are you making a different point?
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techbert wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
It's still January. Superbowl still hasn't been played. Combine is coming up in about a month. Thomas will blow up in early March.

I'd like some clarification. Honest question.

In the past, I seem to think you had the mindset that you should base your evaluation on what a player does on the field, and don't be swayed by what they do in shorts. Have you drifted from that position, or are you making a different point?

He has him rated as a 1st rounder, which takes quite a bit. Pretty sure he is just stating you will see more buzz from him from the media, leading to more people eventually bringing him up around here.

There has been plenty of talk about him on here. I've seen just as much talk about him as Myles Garrett. You are just bound to see more chatter among skill position type players on offense that in a way seems to muffle some of the other talk about other positions.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
VanS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
VanS wrote:
3-4 DE.

He's a shorter JJ Watt.

Special talent.

It hasn't stopped Aaron Donald from being dominant.

I see Solomon Thomas being just fine against the run at 280 lbs.
Ozzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is pretty pathetic he is not talked about more, but you have to know where to look.

I think the kid is a stud, in terms of effort and ability to play the run and get pressure on the passer few are as good as he is. He could play DE in a 3/4, DE in a 4/3 or DT in a 4/3. Position might be a question for some but kid can get after the passer and the fact he can do it at end or tackle really helps him. He is arguably a top 3 DT in the draft and a top 3 DE in the draft potentially. Should be a top 10 if not top 5 pick I think.

In terms of effort and ability to play the run and get after the passer, he had a great season. Way more physical at the point of attack than a lot of guys and has more ability to get off blocks with power and not just quickness alone.
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually commenting on how some players catch the attention of the board, while others don't. About half the Bama defenders got more FF "press" than Garrett, who got more "press" than Thomas.

You couldn't go on the board without being snowed under by Aaron Donald posts, but Fletcher Cox got little notice from either the posters or the analysts.

There really has not been much talk about Thomas, and I didn't see any meaningful analysis of him, at least using our fine search feature.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His physical ability is awesome but he isn't good at reading the offense. He plays lost far too often. He's also not good enough off the edge to be a great pass rusher at DE. He's stuck between being a good fit at DE and not being able to read well enough to play DT.

Also, Thomas got plenty of attention after the bowl game and many people knew about him before the season. He hasn't been ignored.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Cypher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me a bit of Greg Hardy once he came on. Strong initial punch, solid run defender, good motor, can kick him inside to beef up your rush on passing downs.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Chwf3rd25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the issue with positional fit, he can play DE on running downs and move inside on passing downs. IMO anyone who wants to make him into strictly an edge is making a huge mistake, he's special b/c of how quick + explosive he is versus interior OL and if you move him outside i think he'll still be good but you're taking away what makes him so special. I also personally think he's strong enough to hold up on the inside on running plays if that's what a team wants to do as well. One of my favorite players in the draft.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were questioning Donald a few years ago, because he isn't the prototype. When will people learn that great football players don't have to be a prototype. Thomas could be the best player in the draft. I'd be shocked if he wasn't very good.

Hau'oli Kikaha- 50 tackles, 4 sacks, 0 INT, 4 FF, 1 FR, 2 PD

Willie Snead- 69 reception, 984 yards, 3 TDs
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
People were questioning Donald a few years ago, because he isn't the prototype. When will people learn that great football players don't have to be a prototype.

I don't get it either man.
pnies20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanS wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
VanS wrote:
3-4 DE.

He's a shorter JJ Watt.

Special talent.

It hasn't stopped Aaron Donald from being dominant.

I see Solomon Thomas being just fine against the run at 280 lbs.

I see a 4-3 base end.
KingBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
His physical ability is awesome but he isn't good at reading the offense. He plays lost far too often. He's also not good enough off the edge to be a great pass rusher at DE. He's stuck between being a good fit at DE and not being able to read well enough to play DT.

Also, Thomas got plenty of attention after the bowl game and many people knew about him before the season. He hasn't been ignored.

As far as him getting lost and so on he just turned 21 last month. He is still developing.

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: