Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Offseason thread 2: Shanny and Lynch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ninerfanwheelz


Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 15919
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defensive coordinator that was previously with the Jaguars claims Arik Armstead might play some SAM. Good lord that's idiotic.


I don't understand why Shanny won't trade him, he's redundant and we need to add talent in so many other areas
_________________

BackfieldBlitz wrote:
Let that be a warning to the rest of the NFL
You don't give the ball back to Blaine Gabbert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 3615
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
Our defensive coordinator that was previously with the Jaguars claims Arik Armstead might play some SAM. Good lord that's idiotic.


I don't understand why Shanny won't trade him, he's redundant and we need to add talent in so many other areas

Quote:
Chris Biderman ✔ @ChrisBiderman
The point was the SAM at times will be a defensive end in sub with his hand in the dirt.

Makes sense to me
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninerfanwheelz


Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 15919
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Diante Lee‏ @DLBlaxx 22m22 minutes ago
People are going to make the "sub package" argument but Armstead at SAM legit means that even your Base personnel is a sub package.


Quote:
Diante Lee‏ @DLBlaxx 20m20 minutes ago
Armstead can only play Sam at plus value vs 12/21/22 personnel when you NEED a 5 man front to cover for extra gaps. That's it.


Though some people think he misspoke and actually meant Armstrong, which is hopefully the case
_________________

BackfieldBlitz wrote:
Let that be a warning to the rest of the NFL
You don't give the ball back to Blaine Gabbert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 915
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
Quote:
Diante Lee‏ @DLBlaxx 22m22 minutes ago
People are going to make the "sub package" argument but Armstead at SAM legit means that even your Base personnel is a sub package.


Quote:
Diante Lee‏ @DLBlaxx 20m20 minutes ago
Armstead can only play Sam at plus value vs 12/21/22 personnel when you NEED a 5 man front to cover for extra gaps. That's it.


Though some people think he misspoke and actually meant Armstrong, which is hopefully the case


I'm pretty sure he's talking about Armstead with that last quote as it refers to using 5 DL when offenses have an extra TE on the field. Makes sense to me and creates a very talented DL who on paper would appear difficult to run on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17002
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Don't know if anybody else saw this but here's a peice about moving Tartt to WILL. Author does bring up some interesting points...

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/07/why-jaquiski-tartt-should-make-a-position-switch/


Missed this from yesterday. His 4.5 speed and skill set is a cool idea for the WLB role. I'd leave Bowman as the MLB.

I guess I assumed Malcolm Smith, with that new and bloated contract, would be given that WLB spot. Where else could he really fit?

From what I recall, he played a little of both Seattle's OLB spots, but was primarily a STs guy? I just don't see how he could hold up at the POA as a SLB or defeat traffic as MLB.



Personally, I don't care about how much money he makes. If he gets beat in camp, he can be an overpaid back-up for a year or two. It's not like it will prevent us from signing anyone else.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 3615
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Maiocco‏
@MaioccoNBCS
Carlos Hyde said he’s back to running and cutting — not all the way back, though — after his season-ending knee injury.


Tore his MCL in late December and elected to not have surgery. I know he's still got time this offseason but I didnt think MCL tears even higher grade tear isnt a 4+ month injury is it?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17002
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Quote:
Matt Maiocco‏
@MaioccoNBCS
Carlos Hyde said he’s back to running and cutting — not all the way back, though — after his season-ending knee injury.


Tore his MCL in late December and elected to not have surgery. I know he's still got time this offseason but I didnt think MCL tears even higher grade tear isnt a 4+ month injury is it?



He has the luxury of taking his time, here. I think the on field sessions don't start for another couple of weeks, right? He'll get there.


Edit: And if concerns for his health prompt the drafting of a good runningback, then great! We could use another one or two.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chrissooner49er


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 5065
Location: Tulsa, OK
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Quote:
Matt Maiocco‏
@MaioccoNBCS
Carlos Hyde said he’s back to running and cutting — not all the way back, though — after his season-ending knee injury.


Tore his MCL in late December and elected to not have surgery. I know he's still got time this offseason but I didnt think MCL tears even higher grade tear isnt a 4+ month injury is it?



He has the luxury of taking his time, here. I think the on field sessions don't start for another couple of weeks, right? He'll get there.


Edit: And if concerns for his health prompt the drafting of a good runningback, then great! We could use another one or two.


I would prefer it not be in the 1st...unless it's McCaffrey after a trade down. He is so much more than just a RB.
_________________
fa·nat·ic (f-ntk) A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
Draftday1:Garrett/Thomas/Barnett trade:McCaffrey,Cunningham,Watt,Davis 2-Awuzie,Engram,Kupp,Mixon,Westbrook 3-Switzer,Godwin,Perine,JordanEvans,Anzalone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 915
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our DC Robert Saleh was just quoted saying he envisions Lynch as a DE in our new scheme and while on the coaching staff of the Jaguars was looking at Lynch as a LEO role prospect for their defense. With the release of Brock, the questions about Reid, the attention paid to the DL throughout FA and the overall lack of playmaking ability in our secondary I'm starting to believe a DB is more and more likely at pick #2 if we keep it. I like Adams and Hooker more than Lattimore but would understand all of them at #2, really though I'm hoping for a trade down to maybe get our SAM LB and an offensive play maker with a later 1st and maybe another 2nd.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 18906
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Our DC Robert Saleh was just quoted saying he envisions Lynch as a DE in our new scheme and while on the coaching staff of the Jaguars was looking at Lynch as a LEO role prospect for their defense. With the release of Brock, the questions about Reid, the attention paid to the DL throughout FA and the overall lack of playmaking ability in our secondary I'm starting to believe a DB is more and more likely at pick #2 if we keep it. I like Adams and Hooker more than Lattimore but would understand all of them at #2, really though I'm hoping for a trade down to maybe get our SAM LB and an offensive play maker with a later 1st and maybe another 2nd.


I'm actually there with you. I'm starting to lean more and more that the pick will be Hooker or Adams if we don't trade down (a trade down opens more possibilities to me, we could go McCaffrey, Foster, etc). For some reason, I don't think it'll be Lattimore. I think it'll be one of the safeties. We also seem content on seeing how Armstead and Buckner will fit into this defense.

So my guess is the defensive line will look something more like this?

Armstead / Blair
Mitchell / Purcell
Buckner / Dial / Jones
Lynch / Carradine (I think playing Tank here puts him in a spot that is very similar to what he played at FSU...maybe we can finally get something there)
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 915
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a half bad looking DL and I like that the players offer versatility as to where the can line up. Would love to see us get something out of Carradine as well and agree that maybe as a LEO, hopefully he's still in shape and slimmed down, we can see some production out of him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19638
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
Our DC Robert Saleh was just quoted saying he envisions Lynch as a DE in our new scheme and while on the coaching staff of the Jaguars was looking at Lynch as a LEO role prospect for their defense. With the release of Brock, the questions about Reid, the attention paid to the DL throughout FA and the overall lack of playmaking ability in our secondary I'm starting to believe a DB is more and more likely at pick #2 if we keep it. I like Adams and Hooker more than Lattimore but would understand all of them at #2, really though I'm hoping for a trade down to maybe get our SAM LB and an offensive play maker with a later 1st and maybe another 2nd.


I'm actually there with you. I'm starting to lean more and more that the pick will be Hooker or Adams if we don't trade down (a trade down opens more possibilities to me, we could go McCaffrey, Foster, etc). For some reason, I don't think it'll be Lattimore. I think it'll be one of the safeties. We also seem content on seeing how Armstead and Buckner will fit into this defense.

So my guess is the defensive line will look something more like this?

Armstead / Blair
Mitchell / Purcell
Buckner / Dial / Jones
Lynch / Carradine (I think playing Tank here puts him in a spot that is very similar to what he played at FSU...maybe we can finally get something there)


Here's the full quote. No mention of Carradine at all.

Aaron Lynch is viewed as the guy who would pencil in at the LEO position for the time being. The team could decide to draft some additional options, but for the start of the offseason workout program, Lynch would be in that role. Saleh was asked how he sees Lynch fitting in, and he was clear in his answer.

“Aaron, he’s on the defensive line. We’re going to try to keep his hand in the ground at all times. A couple years ago, when he came out of the draft, we were looking at him as a possible LEO. So, he has all the traits that you would like. Now it’s a matter of us trying to work with him to best utilize what he’s, in my mind, designed to do and that’s get after the passer.”
Saleh does think other guys can handle the role. He talked about Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, and Dekoda Watson all being able to handle a combination of the SAM and LEO roles. He even said Arik Armstead is capable of it. He recognizes Armstead is not a prototype for that role, but he is a versatile player.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19638
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think that if you're rebuilding your team from the ground up one guy wouldn't matter a whole lot but I do think losing Brock adds a little more emphasis on the defensive backfield. A guy like Lattimore could be in play at 2. I too am beginning to think the cards are falling more in favor of Adams or Hooker rather than Thomas. Like everyone else here I would be thrilled to death to take whichever of the three of those guys is staill there at around 5 or 6 if we could pick up and extras second rounder in the process. Heck, even moving back to 7 or 8 would still be OK because if all three of those guys are gone then there's a good chance Thomas would still be there. If not I'm really fine with a pure outside rush guy like Barnett. In fact he's growing on me as the guy I would like most. Would you all prefer a deep safety like Earl Thomas that can cover the whole field and help to shutdown a team's deep passing game, or a double digit pass rusher, especially one who could get 13-15 in a season ... or a shutdown corner?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 5075
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Garofolo believes it would take a first-round pick and a "mid-round pick" to land Richard Sherman in a trade.
In Garofolo's words, it would be a Darrelle Revis Jets-to-Bucs type of deal. Tampa acquired Revis for a first-rounder and fourth-rounder that could turn into a third-rounder in 2013. Garofolo ultimately expects Sherman to remain in Seattle. That remains the most-likely outcome, but any time trade talks become this public, there's a real chance they come to fruition
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 915
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the same press conference where Saleh talked about Lynch and the LEO position there was talk of Reid playing the "Chancellor" role or the in the box safety and talk of Ward moving to safety has haulted for the moment with Brock's release, Saleh said something to the effect of Ward being extremely versatile and they'll get a better grasp of everything and where guys will play when they get some field time. Maybe Ward stays at CB and Hooker is the choice at #2? Definitely reaching for answers on my part off not a lot of information but just food for thought.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 45 of 49

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group