Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Offseason thread 2: Shanny and Lynch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 954
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas from WVU, Deccoud from Oregon St., Witherspoon from Colorado, Robinson from Tenn St., Wilson from Houston and Cutrer from Mid Tenn are all lankier, cover CBs that I like a lot that can be had probably from the 3rd-5th rounds. I do like Sutton from Tenn too but his game reminds me a lot of Ward.

In my mind this changes very little, Brock was more or less gone after this season anyways and has never been anything special. We can leave Ward at FS as we have Williams to man the slot. As far as I'm concerned line up Redmond and Robinson on the outside and see what they have before investing high draft picks at CB. We still need to fix our pass rush which may even help out these young guys. It's not a secondary that makes a pass rush look good, it's vice versa. In fact a terrible pass rush can make even good secondaries look bad, it's almost impossible to be asked to cover for 5+ seconds.

My game plan if I'm Shanahan and Lynch has not changed, get a pass rush, add some playmakers on offense and depth to remaining positions of need which is almost literally everything else other than interior DL, so go BPA from there.

Edit : I forgot to even mention Teez Tabor who is ever sliding with his 40 times. While they are a bit concerning, his tape shows someone capable of making plays and playing CB at a high level so when the 3rd/4th round comes along I wouldn't mind it at all.
_________________


Last edited by Fureys49ers on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17043
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Forge wrote:
Geek wrote:
Well looks like Corner is back on the menu. I don't really want Marshon Lattimore with #2 (I'd be fine with him in a trade back) so who do you guys have your eyes on in the second and third round? Kevin King looks interesting. I also really really like Cameron Sutton in the third.


If you don't like Lattimore, keep Ward at corner for one more year. Draft Hooker / Adams, pair with Reid for this year before letting Reid go. Re-sign Ward, move to safety next year?



Yeah, we have flexibility with Ward there. I'm not opposed to Lattimore, though. But if we could get his teammate Conley in the second, I'd be really happy with it (although I've seen Conley mocked in the teens, as well as mid second.. so who knows). We,re not in a hurry to fix the secondary, in my opinion. If the talent lines up with where we're drafting, sure. Take a safety or a corner. If not, maybe Redmond impresses during OTAs enoughto take a chance. Or maybe Tartt has improved enough so that we move Ward back to corner, as you said, maybe for this year, and we re-evaluate next year. Anyway, I'm not getting out of my way for a DB in this draft. If it's there, it's there. It might very well be there at 2, so we might not have to wait long before we get our answer.


There's no way I can see Conley lasting till the second. Remember the OSU coaches looked at Lattimore and Conley for three years, and started Conley all three of those years while Lattimore only worked his way into the starting lineup this year. Conley is one of those guys I'd love to take in a tradeback scenario.



If we listen to all the draft experts and all the amateur scouts on FF, there will be 75 first rounders this year. I mean, I do see Conley as a first round talent, but in the number's game, I could see him dropping to the second round. I prefer him to Lattimore, from a football standpoint. The only reason why lattimore is a top 10 pick is the athleticism. But when it comes to talking about all the prospects who aren't locks for the top 15, I feel it's a coin toss whether they will or will not be there in the second. Since I don't think Conley is a lock for the top 15, I do think the odds of him being there at 34 to be close to 50/50. Not because he is not a first round talent, but because sometimes that's just how the chips fall. I'm not counting on him being there at 34, just that if he is there, I wouldn't mind drafting him. If not, I'm not bothered, because there will be an equally talented player there, it might just not be a corner. My priorities in this draft have always been and will remain pass rusher, #1 WR (not just any receiver.. it has to be someone with serious potential, at least, or else, what for?!) and QB. If we get great value on a CB, sure go ahead. But if we come out of that draft without a CB, I won't be disappointed. We're not a corner away from being a contender anyway. We need a threatening pass rusher a lot more than we need a Brock replacement.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19725
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Forge wrote:
Geek wrote:
Well looks like Corner is back on the menu. I don't really want Marshon Lattimore with #2 (I'd be fine with him in a trade back) so who do you guys have your eyes on in the second and third round? Kevin King looks interesting. I also really really like Cameron Sutton in the third.


If you don't like Lattimore, keep Ward at corner for one more year. Draft Hooker / Adams, pair with Reid for this year before letting Reid go. Re-sign Ward, move to safety next year?



Yeah, we have flexibility with Ward there. I'm not opposed to Lattimore, though. But if we could get his teammate Conley in the second, I'd be really happy with it (although I've seen Conley mocked in the teens, as well as mid second.. so who knows). We,re not in a hurry to fix the secondary, in my opinion. If the talent lines up with where we're drafting, sure. Take a safety or a corner. If not, maybe Redmond impresses during OTAs enoughto take a chance. Or maybe Tartt has improved enough so that we move Ward back to corner, as you said, maybe for this year, and we re-evaluate next year. Anyway, I'm not getting out of my way for a DB in this draft. If it's there, it's there. It might very well be there at 2, so we might not have to wait long before we get our answer.


There's no way I can see Conley lasting till the second. Remember the OSU coaches looked at Lattimore and Conley for three years, and started Conley all three of those years while Lattimore only worked his way into the starting lineup this year. Conley is one of those guys I'd love to take in a tradeback scenario.



If we listen to all the draft experts and all the amateur scouts on FF, there will be 75 first rounders this year. I mean, I do see Conley as a first round talent, but in the number's game, I could see him dropping to the second round. I prefer him to Lattimore, from a football standpoint. The only reason why lattimore is a top 10 pick is the athleticism. But when it comes to talking about all the prospects who aren't locks for the top 15, I feel it's a coin toss whether they will or will not be there in the second. Since I don't think Conley is a lock for the top 15, I do think the odds of him being there at 34 to be close to 50/50. Not because he is not a first round talent, but because sometimes that's just how the chips fall. I'm not counting on him being there at 34, just that if he is there, I wouldn't mind drafting him. If not, I'm not bothered, because there will be an equally talented player there, it might just not be a corner. My priorities in this draft have always been and will remain pass rusher, #1 WR (not just any receiver.. it has to be someone with serious potential, at least, or else, what for?!) and QB. If we get great value on a CB, sure go ahead. But if we come out of that draft without a CB, I won't be disappointed. We're not a corner away from being a contender anyway. We need a threatening pass rusher a lot more than we need a Brock replacement.


I know what you mean. Every time I think about who to take at 34 I think of someone that somebody has mocked in the first. The problem is that I've seen probably 25 different guys mocked in the second half of the first. So 10 or 12 or them will still be there at 34. Who knows, Conley could be one of those guys. But I suspect he goes a lot closer to 15 than 34.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17043
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Forge wrote:
Geek wrote:
Well looks like Corner is back on the menu. I don't really want Marshon Lattimore with #2 (I'd be fine with him in a trade back) so who do you guys have your eyes on in the second and third round? Kevin King looks interesting. I also really really like Cameron Sutton in the third.


If you don't like Lattimore, keep Ward at corner for one more year. Draft Hooker / Adams, pair with Reid for this year before letting Reid go. Re-sign Ward, move to safety next year?



Yeah, we have flexibility with Ward there. I'm not opposed to Lattimore, though. But if we could get his teammate Conley in the second, I'd be really happy with it (although I've seen Conley mocked in the teens, as well as mid second.. so who knows). We,re not in a hurry to fix the secondary, in my opinion. If the talent lines up with where we're drafting, sure. Take a safety or a corner. If not, maybe Redmond impresses during OTAs enoughto take a chance. Or maybe Tartt has improved enough so that we move Ward back to corner, as you said, maybe for this year, and we re-evaluate next year. Anyway, I'm not getting out of my way for a DB in this draft. If it's there, it's there. It might very well be there at 2, so we might not have to wait long before we get our answer.


There's no way I can see Conley lasting till the second. Remember the OSU coaches looked at Lattimore and Conley for three years, and started Conley all three of those years while Lattimore only worked his way into the starting lineup this year. Conley is one of those guys I'd love to take in a tradeback scenario.



If we listen to all the draft experts and all the amateur scouts on FF, there will be 75 first rounders this year. I mean, I do see Conley as a first round talent, but in the number's game, I could see him dropping to the second round. I prefer him to Lattimore, from a football standpoint. The only reason why lattimore is a top 10 pick is the athleticism. But when it comes to talking about all the prospects who aren't locks for the top 15, I feel it's a coin toss whether they will or will not be there in the second. Since I don't think Conley is a lock for the top 15, I do think the odds of him being there at 34 to be close to 50/50. Not because he is not a first round talent, but because sometimes that's just how the chips fall. I'm not counting on him being there at 34, just that if he is there, I wouldn't mind drafting him. If not, I'm not bothered, because there will be an equally talented player there, it might just not be a corner. My priorities in this draft have always been and will remain pass rusher, #1 WR (not just any receiver.. it has to be someone with serious potential, at least, or else, what for?!) and QB. If we get great value on a CB, sure go ahead. But if we come out of that draft without a CB, I won't be disappointed. We're not a corner away from being a contender anyway. We need a threatening pass rusher a lot more than we need a Brock replacement.


I know what you mean. Every time I think about who to take at 34 I think of someone that somebody has mocked in the first. The problem is that I've seen probably 25 different guys mocked in the second half of the first. So 10 or 12 or them will still be there at 34. Who knows, Conley could be one of those guys. But I suspect he goes a lot closer to 15 than 34.



That's possible. And it's also possible that Conley will be there at 34 and still won't be the best player available. I feel like it's a good year to be at the top of the draft. Some years, you don't even get as talented a guy as we're likely to get at 34. Some years, you draft at 15, and you basically draft a borderline second round talent there, and when you get your turn in the second, you're basically stuck with borderline third round talent. This year, we might end up with two legit first round talents (or more, if we trade down from #2). I don't care what position, I just hope we can land two probowlers. We badly need that kind of talent. I know it's a lot to ask, but if there's a year to wish that, it's this year, given our position in the draft and the talent pool available.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PapaShogun


Joined: 20 Jan 2014
Posts: 1491
Location: Macau
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers lead the league in arrests since 2012 with 15. Sad. This franchise has been embarrassing for quite a while now concerning off the field issues.
_________________

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 1932
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Forge wrote:
Geek wrote:
Well looks like Corner is back on the menu. I don't really want Marshon Lattimore with #2 (I'd be fine with him in a trade back) so who do you guys have your eyes on in the second and third round? Kevin King looks interesting. I also really really like Cameron Sutton in the third.


If you don't like Lattimore, keep Ward at corner for one more year. Draft Hooker / Adams, pair with Reid for this year before letting Reid go. Re-sign Ward, move to safety next year?



Yeah, we have flexibility with Ward there. I'm not opposed to Lattimore, though. But if we could get his teammate Conley in the second, I'd be really happy with it (although I've seen Conley mocked in the teens, as well as mid second.. so who knows). We,re not in a hurry to fix the secondary, in my opinion. If the talent lines up with where we're drafting, sure. Take a safety or a corner. If not, maybe Redmond impresses during OTAs enoughto take a chance. Or maybe Tartt has improved enough so that we move Ward back to corner, as you said, maybe for this year, and we re-evaluate next year. Anyway, I'm not getting out of my way for a DB in this draft. If it's there, it's there. It might very well be there at 2, so we might not have to wait long before we get our answer.


There's no way I can see Conley lasting till the second. Remember the OSU coaches looked at Lattimore and Conley for three years, and started Conley all three of those years while Lattimore only worked his way into the starting lineup this year. Conley is one of those guys I'd love to take in a tradeback scenario.


That's not entirely accurate. Lattimore had hamstring issues that kept him off the field at first. It wasn't just based off his ability or lack there of. More so his availability...

That being said, with Brock now out of favor, Hooker is definitely at play@2 for us I think. You could keep Ward@CB if they chose and make a play for Hooker. I dont know if I would take a CB@2 personally, with such a deep class but if Lattimore is the guy, I wouldn't complain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17043
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
49ers lead the league in arrests since 2012 with 15. Sad. This franchise has been embarrassing for quite a while now concerning off the field issues.



Maybe it's just that the bay area police forces are that much better than the rest of the NFL! And it doesn't help that it happens to be the social media mecca of the world!! And the leaks! Everybody leaks everywhere!!!

Just imagine how it would have been, let's say in the 80s, if they had had social media, or basically just today's media. Or just society in general. I'm sure a lot of incidents were never reported back then, just because the reporters didn't want to be blackballed by the teams.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 1932
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anybody else saw this but here's a peice about moving Tartt to WILL. Author does bring up some interesting points...

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/07/why-jaquiski-tartt-should-make-a-position-switch/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19314
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Don't know if anybody else saw this but here's a peice about moving Tartt to WILL. Author does bring up some interesting points...

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/07/why-jaquiski-tartt-should-make-a-position-switch/


I brought that up a while ago. Personally i think its a good idea
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 43420
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically expect 4-5 corners to be selected in the first rd.. and have Conley ranked as my 4th best. That said, I can easily see some team falling in love with Kevin King... or the idea of molding Obi into a press CB.

I think we all have been absorbed into enough drafts by now to not be surprised much by... surprises.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17043
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I typically expect 4-5 corners to be selected in the first rd.. and have Conley ranked as my 4th best. That said, I can easily see some team falling in love with Kevin King... or the idea of molding Obi into a press CB.

I think we all have been absorbed into enough drafts by now to not be surprised much by... surprises.



Personally, I tend to be shocked by shockers more than I am surprised by surprises.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19314
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hightower won't use #21 in respect of gore. Says it should be retired.

I like you, Mr Hightower
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 43420
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I typically expect 4-5 corners to be selected in the first rd.. and have Conley ranked as my 4th best. That said, I can easily see some team falling in love with Kevin King... or the idea of molding Obi into a press CB.

I think we all have been absorbed into enough drafts by now to not be surprised much by... surprises.



Personally, I tend to be shocked by shockers more than I am surprised by surprises.


You are probably hooking them up to the wrong body parts. Did you read the manual?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13943
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our equipment staff clearly wants to get on my bad side Evil or Very Mad

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-rb-hightower-issued-gores-old-number-vows-return-it

Also, thank you Tim Hightower for your gracious decision.
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 43420
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Don't know if anybody else saw this but here's a peice about moving Tartt to WILL. Author does bring up some interesting points...

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/07/why-jaquiski-tartt-should-make-a-position-switch/


Missed this from yesterday. His 4.5 speed and skill set is a cool idea for the WLB role. I'd leave Bowman as the MLB.

I guess I assumed Malcolm Smith, with that new and bloated contract, would be given that WLB spot. Where else could he really fit?

From what I recall, he played a little of both Seattle's OLB spots, but was primarily a STs guy? I just don't see how he could hold up at the POA as a SLB or defeat traffic as MLB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 44 of 72

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group