Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Offseason thread 2: Shanny and Lynch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that could be it. But I remember how excited everyone was for Aldon Smith's second season as an full time player and he had about as great of a rookie season as you could. You got guys like Rashard Robinson that are getting talked about a lot more than Buckner. Just a bit weird, but it could be like you said there isn't much doubt with him. With Armstead we have no idea how he does at LEO, no clue how Bowman looks after his Achiles injury, or how Lynch comes back after a disappointing season.

El ramster on the sig
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, that could be it. But I remember how excited everyone was for Aldon Smith's second season as an full time player and he had about as great of a rookie season as you could. You got guys like Rashard Robinson that are getting talked about a lot more than Buckner. Just a bit weird, but it could be like you said there isn't much doubt with him. With Armstead we have no idea how he does at LEO, no clue how Bowman looks after his Achiles injury, or how Lynch comes back after a disappointing season.

I think the difference is in the nature of the positions. We never had a sack artist like Alcon, and 14 in a rookie year was captivating. It was a legitimate wonder if he could break the sack record in a full-time role. A serious DPOY candidate.

With Buckner, he's in a less sexy DT role where his rookie season wasn't quite as eye-popping. He's expecting a deserved/needed drop in snaps. Already a starter. His play can increase, but you won't see it on stat sheets. Kinda the equivalent of talking about how a 2nd year star WR and 2nd year star LT develop. The WR will draw more conversation by the ease of quantifying the potential improvement.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a fair point about his play improving from year one to year two but not necessarily his stat line.

I mentioned Robinson in my prior post and just came across this quote from Lynch from last week:

Quote:
“I didn’t know much about Rashard Robinson, but when you watch him in OTAs, he looks like a No. 1 corner. And that certainly was a position of need and of concern for us. And Rashard has made us feel a lot better about that position.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/6/29/15887384/john-lynch-rashard-robinson-49ers-number-one-cornerback

I think most of us are really high on Robinson, but he needs to get his core stronger or something to prevent all these little injuries he suffers week in and week out. Someone falls on him and he is guaranteed to miss the rest of the game Laughing.

El ramster on the sig
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Also a fair point about his play improving from year one to year two but not necessarily his stat line.

I mentioned Robinson in my prior post and just came across this quote from Lynch from last week:

Quote:
“I didn’t know much about Rashard Robinson, but when you watch him in OTAs, he looks like a No. 1 corner. And that certainly was a position of need and of concern for us. And Rashard has made us feel a lot better about that position.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/6/29/15887384/john-lynch-rashard-robinson-49ers-number-one-cornerback

I think most of us are really high on Robinson, but he needs to get his core stronger or something to prevent all these little injuries he suffers week in and week out. Some one falls on him and he is guaranteed to miss the rest of the game Laughing.

Yep, that's my biggest issue with Robinson - I have no trust in him to remain healthy through the majority of most games. From a play standpoint though, think he's a stud in the making.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What teams do the 49ers have to worry about in regards to taking a highly rated QB in the draft next year? These are my guesses.

Jets - Obvious one here. They seem to be in full tank mode (even though NFL teams don't really tank). They are probably the favorites for the number one pick. I'm afraid they are the ones that are going to nab Darnold if he declares and seen as the number one overall pick.

Browns - I want to think that Kizer would hold off the Browns for at least one season more. However, in this day and age, I don't think a second round QB with just one year of experience would stop a team from taking a high prospect at QB if they think they really need one. Carolina didn't hesitate taking Cam Newton when Jimmy Clausen was drafted the year before.

Chargers - Rivers doesn't have much time left. He could retire after this year. If the new LA Chargers have a bad year, the franchise could draft a QB early to bring some exciment to the fanbase. Rivers might not retire they could still do this.

Saints - Same deal as Rivers. Once Brees retires, that team is going to go back to the dark ages unless they find a good starter at QB. Brees is basically the team right now. And he's already 38.

Jaguars - This has to be Blake Bortles last stand.

Vikings - Sam Bradford isn't the answer. Maybe he gets more time if he has a good year, but I just think it's inevitable he's replaced. I don't see Bridgewater being an investment either after his injury.

Cardinals - Same deal as the Saints and Chargers. Palmer is almost done.

Steelers - If they have a complete disaster of a season and/or Roethlisberger flirts with retirement. It would really have to be the perfect storm.

Redskins - I guess if Cousins leaves, this could be a possibility.

Those are the teams I think are the biggest threat. From the hype I'm hearing it seems like we could have three QBs go in the top ten if they all have big years. And some trades will go down if teams feel like they are in striking distance. But maybe the 49ers sign Cousins and this all goes away. Regarding a recent rumor regarding Dan Snyder this might not be likely. Only one of the teams I listed made the playoffs last year. Probably going to see the majority of them back near the top of the draft. I hope if the 49ers have a bad season, they have at least a top three pick. They need a QB plain and simple. I know I haven't seen CJ play yet, but I don't think he's the future.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with that list of teams, the Jets in my mind are the biggest "threat" to us in terms of drafting position. While I think the Browns will be drafting top 10 they have a pretty talented team, solid OL, some young offensive options (not ready to call them weapons yet), and talent on defense, they just play in a tough division. The same can somewhat be said about the Jags although that's been said in offseasons prior. The Saints always seem to be a slightly below .500 team as long as Bree's is there. The Chargers, Steelers, Cards, Vikings and maybe even Redskins I expect to be competing for a playoff spot if their teams can stay healthy, or atleast have record to not be out of the playoff race late in the season.

As you said the Jets seem to be in full on tank mode, a WR corps less proven than ours, QB depth on level with ours, an OL that I expect to be at the bottom the league, a lacking LB corps and a secondary whom seems to be either be inexperienced or not worth mentioning. Obviously their DL is thought to be their greatest strength and their RBs seem capable in Powell and an older Forte but I could see their season being over after week 4.

I'd add the Bills in there as well, they don't neccesairly seem committed in the least to Tyrod and if Peterman doesn't show well in TC, preseason or any regular season time for whatever reason I could see them looking QB with the new coaching staff and the seemingly "restart" button they've pushed this offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
What teams do the 49ers have to worry about in regards to taking a highly rated QB in the draft next year? These are my guesses.

Jets - Obvious one here. They seem to be in full tank mode (even though NFL teams don't really tank). They are probably the favorites for the number one pick. I'm afraid they are the ones that are going to nab Darnold if he declares and seen as the number one overall pick.

Browns - I want to think that Kizer would hold off the Browns for at least one season more. However, in this day and age, I don't think a second round QB with just one year of experience would stop a team from taking a high prospect at QB if they think they really need one. Carolina didn't hesitate taking Cam Newton when Jimmy Clausen was drafted the year before.

Chargers - Rivers doesn't have much time left. He could retire after this year. If the new LA Chargers have a bad year, the franchise could draft a QB early to bring some exciment to the fanbase. Rivers might not retire they could still do this.

Saints - Same deal as Rivers. Once Brees retires, that team is going to go back to the dark ages unless they find a good starter at QB. Brees is basically the team right now. And he's already 38.

Jaguars - This has to be Blake Bortles last stand.

Vikings - Sam Bradford isn't the answer. Maybe he gets more time if he has a good year, but I just think it's inevitable he's replaced. I don't see Bridgewater being an investment either after his injury.

Cardinals - Same deal as the Saints and Chargers. Palmer is almost done.

Steelers - If they have a complete disaster of a season and/or Roethlisberger flirts with retirement. It would really have to be the perfect storm.

Redskins - I guess if Cousins leaves, this could be a possibility.

Those are the teams I think are the biggest threat. From the hype I'm hearing it seems like we could have three QBs go in the top ten if they all have big years. And some trades will go down if teams feel like they are in striking distance. But maybe the 49ers sign Cousins and this all goes away. Regarding a recent rumor regarding Dan Snyder this might not be likely. Only one of the teams I listed made the playoffs last year. Probably going to see the majority of them back near the top of the draft. I hope if the 49ers have a bad season, they have at least a top three pick. They need a QB plain and simple. I know I haven't seen CJ play yet, but I don't think he's the future.

All of the teams do have some possibility of drafting a quarterback, but like Fureys, I think the only real "threats" to us in with regards to draft position and taking a quarterback (before we have had a shot) are Cleveland and the Jets. I think the Jags will be a middle tier team just based on the improvement in coaching alone (Marrone from Bradley is an underrated jump), and teams like the Chargers, Pitt, Arz just aren't bad enough to be picking ahead of us, in my opinion.

The interesting team will be the one that Fureys mentioned - Buffalo. They are not committed to Tyrod, and they have two first round picks next year. While they won't be bad enough to be picking ahead of us, I think that there's a more than realistic chance that there own pick is top 10 and KC's pick is in that 15-18 range. If they want a quarterback, and Chicago is picking ahead of us, I definitely think that they have the ammo to make a move in front of us if they are willing to do it (lots has to fall in to place there though, obviously).

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we finish in the top 5 so we could have a few different options. We could either then take one of the top three QBs, or trade down get more picks and trade for Cousins. Picking in the lower top 10 pretty much limits us to just Cousins, which could end up being okay anyways.

El ramster on the sig
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I hope we finish in the top 5 so we could have a few different options. We could either then take one of the top three QBs, or trade down get more picks and trade for Cousins. Picking in the lower top 10 pretty much limits us to just Cousins, which could end up being okay anyways.

Yeah, I've already stated that I am completely okay with any of the options, including giving Cousins a ridiculous contract. He's only going to be 30 years old, and quarterbacks can be very effective into their mid and late 30s, so even if you give him 6 years, 130 million, he can actually be a good quarterback all 6 of those years. Then you can parlay that high pick into an elite talent somewhere else on the team which is just fine with me. We would also have the nice ability to front load the contract. Also, there's the question on who's coming out - not a lock all three are there. And while I do think that we are not a very good team, I wouldn't be shocked if we end up with the 4th or 5th pick as opposed to the 2nd, which could be a problem if only 2 come out.

I'm 100% sure that Rosen is coming out given his comments on how he feels about student athletes, and given that Allen gave serious consideration to coming out last year, I Feel like that is pretty much a lock as well.

I'm far less certain that Darnold is coming out. I'd put that at about 50/50 right now. He loves USC, and they have shown a knack (outside of Sanchez) for being able to keep their quarterbacks and he's only a redshirt soph, which is hit and miss anyway. I don't know that he'd stay for *both* of his remaining years, as was indicated by sources to Jeremiah, but I think there's a legit chance he stays for another year after this one.

So then you have the guys that I like a lot less than other people do - Lamar Jackson people like as a first rounder, but I'm not super keen on him as an NFL quarterback yet. I've seen some crazy love for Falk, but I've made my stance on him very clear. Rudolph is intriguing, but Big XII quarterbacks scare me and I have a slight bias against them.

Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ya Forge, I can see us ending up 4-12 or 5-11 this season giving us the fourth or fifth pick. Next years draft already looks good at QB, RB, OT, DE, CB and S (a lot can change from now until next years draft, I am aware) so there should be plenty of options at areas of need for us if we do find ourselves outside the top 3, which in itself is a glass half full mindset.

I would be extremely happy with us going hard after Cousins, and a report came out today or yesterday stating that many close to the situation still view a contract between Cousins and the Redskins as a long shot by next Monday. If that isn't accomplished I can't see how he signs there next offseason when he's already felt unappreciated up to this point. So that's the route I'm a fan of and have been for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like our skill guys are gettin some work in together in Texas this week. Pretty cool stuff I dont remember this big of a group workin with Kap/Gabbert/Smith in the past.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article160537014.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do they pay for their own plane ticket and lodging during the three days?

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure theyre all bunking up at the most epic AirBnB in Dallas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Looks like our skill guys are gettin some work in together in Texas this week. Pretty cool stuff I dont remember this big of a group workin with Kap/Gabbert/Smith in the past.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article160537014.html

Smith definitely did- he had camp Alex which had almost 25 players come and do it. Can't remember it with Colin or Blaine though.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaine had one last year.....Really helped the team out!!! Laughing

Seriously though, only two weeks away from the start of camp! About damn time (LeBron voice).

El ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 76 of 78

Jump to: