Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

9ers hire TV Personality & Former NFL S John Lynch as GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DutchFalcon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
buno67 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
Quote:
Just as 49ers gave GM John Lynch 6-year contract, plan is to offer Kyle Shanahan a 6-year deal, per sources. SF wants HC-GM tied together.

6years for a 1st year HC and 1st year GM...holy crap...

I can just imagine York at his desk.. thinking intently, fingers rubbing his temples.. "What makes the best NFL franchises great?" .... "FRONT OFFICE CONSISTENCY!! It's so simple! Sign them to 6-year contracts!"

I instead see get the mental image of Shanahan reading from a 10 yard list of demands while York is on his knee's yelling ''ANYTHING YOU WANT, ANYTHING!''
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last team to hire a Super Bowl winning Stanford grad with no prior GM experience won five consecutive division titles, two AFC Championships, and a Super Bowl. So... there's that.

I don't see what the big deal is. You think he called up Kyle and was like, "Bro, you know I'm the man. Hire me, bro." The guy has a ton of football knowledge, is extremely intelligent, and talks to John Elway on a regular basis. Slow your role, people. He knows what he's doing.

Bird Watch: DE Vinny Curry - Last seen robbing Philly of $47 mil
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art_Vandalay wrote:
The last team to hire a Super Bowl winning Stanford grad with no prior GM experience won five consecutive division titles, two AFC Championships, and a Super Bowl. So... there's that.

I don't see what the big deal is. You think he called up Kyle and was like, "Bro, you know I'm the man. Hire me, bro." The guy has a ton of football knowledge, is extremely intelligent, and talks to John Elway on a regular basis. Slow your role, people. He knows what he's doing.

Weirdly, that's actually how I applied for the job

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
buno67 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
Quote:
Just as 49ers gave GM John Lynch 6-year contract, plan is to offer Kyle Shanahan a 6-year deal, per sources. SF wants HC-GM tied together.

6years for a 1st year HC and 1st year GM...holy crap...

I can just imagine York at his desk.. thinking intently, fingers rubbing his temples.. "What makes the best NFL franchises great?" .... "FRONT OFFICE CONSISTENCY!! It's so simple! Sign them to 6-year contracts!"

You joke but there's a lot of truth to that.

Mack on the sig
cp0k2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art_Vandalay wrote:

As others have mentioned, the situations aren't very comparable. After Elway finished playing he became owner and CEO of an AFL team from 2003-2008. 2010-2011 Elway was vice President of football operations for the Broncos, working with Brian Xanders and John Fox before taking the reigns himself in 2012.

John Lynch has been a broadcaster since six days after his retirement. His situation is far more comparable to Matt Millen's than John Elway's.
•I back my talk up in person
•Go play in traffic and tear both your acl's punk
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ESPN's Jim Trotter reports new 49ers GM John Lynch "will have final say over the draft, free agency, and 90-man roster."

Trotter reports presumptive coach Kyle Shanahan "will have final say on [the] 53-man roster." Even if Lynch has "final say," he should get plenty of help from Shanahan, what will likely be an experienced director of football operations, and the rest of the front office staff. The 49ers need to build strong scaffolding around Lynch if he is going to have early success.

Wow. Lynch has more say than I expected (if this is true).
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:
ESPN's Jim Trotter reports new 49ers GM John Lynch "will have final say over the draft, free agency, and 90-man roster."

Trotter reports presumptive coach Kyle Shanahan "will have final say on [the] 53-man roster." Even if Lynch has "final say," he should get plenty of help from Shanahan, what will likely be an experienced director of football operations, and the rest of the front office staff. The 49ers need to build strong scaffolding around Lynch if he is going to have early success.

Matt Maiocco reported that Shanahan never asked for final say over the draft/FA, but did want a good say in the final 53. Terry McDonough basically echoed those same thoughts.

El ramster on the sig
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp0k2 wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
This hire isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
Why not go on record on your normal account instead of making a new one just to post this?

Mostly because I joined here from another forum...? I don't have a normal account here.
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp0k2 wrote:
Art_Vandalay wrote:

As others have mentioned, the situations aren't very comparable. After Elway finished playing he became owner and CEO of an AFL team from 2003-2008. 2010-2011 Elway was vice President of football operations for the Broncos, working with Brian Xanders and John Fox before taking the reigns himself in 2012.

John Lynch has been a broadcaster since six days after his retirement. His situation is far more comparable to Matt Millen's than John Elway's.

Yeah some ppl in this thread believe Elway came into his position with zero experience with running or building a team....he had so.e exp controlling a team and roster through his arena team and then got a year in the NFL to transition into the NFL FO roles.

Elways had some FO experience before becoming GM
Lynch has ZERO EXPERIENCE with FO before becoming GM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very weird. Hard to hate Lynch but this seems like a job that could be over his head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Lynch have to be Millen or Elway? Lynch is Lynch and we'll just have to see how this plays out. He's very well spoken and seems very intelligent. It sounds like we will be bringing in Adam Peters from the Broncos, which to me is very encouraging. If Lynch can surround himself with a good staff, I have no doubt that this hire will be fine.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't shock me if Lynch turns out to be a solid GM

#1 ET Supporter
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:

Even with this "having final say" really doesn't mean much when he has a group of advisers.

Coaches, and scouts still fill him full of info and he just pulls the trigger.

Really overthinking this on some parts. He's not going to come into this not know how it works without having help along the way.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:

Even with this "having final say" really doesn't mean much when he has a group of advisers.

Really overthinking this on some parts. He's not going to come into this not know how it works without having help along the way.

Yes, I know that final say doesn't mean you just become a maverick and start making decisions left and right that no one else agrees with. For the majority of decisions, everyone will be in concert. But it does mean that if he and Shanahan are ever in disagreement on drafting or signing a player (which might happen more often than you would think), Lynch is the one who gets his way, which is big.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I know that final say doesn't mean you just become a maverick and start making decisions left and right that no one else agrees with. For the majority of decisions, everyone will be in concert. But it does mean that if he and Shanahan are ever in disagreement on drafting or signing a player (which might happen more often than you would think), Lynch is the one who gets his way, which is big.

I just don't see how it would be in Lynch's interest to draft or sign a player Kylo doesn't want. Baalke used to do that with Harbaugh, and Harbaugh simply wouldn't play certain guys. The GM can't force the HC to play whatever guy he signs, so even if he happens to be right (which Baalke turned out not to be), he just shouldn't get players the HC isn't going to play, because that just hurts everyone in the organization (except the lunch lady and the janitor, who jsut don't give a hoot). So, if Kylo and Johnnie Boy are in disagreement about a player, it's in the best interest of everyone just to get someone else. Or he just gets the player the HC wants and washes his hands of it to the owner, and let the HC hurt himself alone, or gain points alone. But I wouldn't think that should be a big problem, at least not early on.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: