Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

9ers hire TV Personality & Former NFL S John Lynch as GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could he probably be decent at it? Yeah.

Does this signify that the NFL has a stupidly horrible nepotism problem? More than anything else I've seen in a long time yes. And that includes Rob Ryan continuing to get jobs.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
chamilitary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Source: New #49ers GM John Lynch hires top personnel target. Adam Peters (formerly with Broncos) becomes vice president of player personnel.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/826454786987933696
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:
ESPN's Jim Trotter reports new 49ers GM John Lynch "will have final say over the draft, free agency, and 90-man roster."

Trotter reports presumptive coach Kyle Shanahan "will have final say on [the] 53-man roster." Even if Lynch has "final say," he should get plenty of help from Shanahan, what will likely be an experienced director of football operations, and the rest of the front office staff. The 49ers need to build strong scaffolding around Lynch if he is going to have early success.

Wow. Lynch has more say than I expected (if this is true).

Even with this "having final say" really doesn't mean much when he has a group of advisers.

Coaches, and scouts still fill him full of info and he just pulls the trigger.

Really overthinking this on some parts. He's not going to come into this not know how it works without having help along the way.

Yes, I know that final say doesn't mean you just become a maverick and start making decisions left and right that no one else agrees with. For the majority of decisions, everyone will be in concert. But it does mean that if he and Shanahan are ever in disagreement on drafting or signing a player (which might happen more often than you would think), Lynch is the one who gets his way, which is big.

I just don't see how it would be in Lynch's interest to draft or sign a player Kylo doesn't want. Baalke used to do that with Harbaugh, and Harbaugh simply wouldn't play certain guys. The GM can't force the HC to play whatever guy he signs, so even if he happens to be right (which Baalke turned out not to be), he just shouldn't get players the HC isn't going to play, because that just hurts everyone in the organization (except the lunch lady and the janitor, who jsut don't give a hoot). So, if Kylo and Johnnie Boy are in disagreement about a player, it's in the best interest of everyone just to get someone else. Or he just gets the player the HC wants and washes his hands of it to the owner, and let the HC hurt himself alone, or gain points alone. But I wouldn't think that should be a big problem, at least not early on.

Yes, it sounds good in theory to be in agreement 100% of the time, but doesn't always work that way in reality, as you pointed out in your Baalke-Harbaugh example. Sometimes pride and ego just play a much bigger role than fans assume. Ultimately, it's true that the best organizations have the most cohesion between the coaches and the FO - it's just a lot easier said than done.

And a GM trying to let a coach "hang himself" usually doesn't work out well for either party.

mike23md on the sig
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he has much to do with final say like you are thinking. Really do believe more of the Scouts, and coaches that may be arguing. Let them explain who, and he chooses.

He has been a fox analyst, and the draft is too far away this year for it to matter. He won't be caught up in scouting players.

His final say is what he believes that is best for the team. What argument for a player fit's better.

Believe you are overthinking it. Big reason why Adam Peters was just brought in.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
I don't think he has much to do with final say like you are thinking. Really do believe more of the Scouts, and coaches that may be arguing. Let them explain who, and he chooses.

I'm not sure where you think we disagree on this. I have said that the coach and the GM (and his staff) will likely agree on most of the decisions, but if they have disagreement, the final decision will be up to Lynch.

mike23md on the sig
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think he is always going to be on sides with his staff?

He has the ability to make the pick. Alot of GM's do. I would feel more comfortable with an ex-player making a pick than someone like Jed York making the pick.

I don't think there will be the disagreement to the degree you are proclaiming.

Most likely there has been multiple plans on how the draft will be attacked, along with a big board of players. Most teams trust the board when there is a final decision, which normally is the safest way to go.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:

I don't think there will be the disagreement to the degree you are proclaiming.

What degree am I proclaiming, exactly?

mike23md on the sig
chamilitary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Frank:

Quote:
Broncos FO guy to me: "Good luck to the 49ers keeping Adam Peters for more than two years. He's a savant. He'll be a GM soon." Well then.

https://twitter.com/VincentFrankNFL/status/826504176226086913
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chamilitary wrote:
Vincent Frank:

Quote:
Broncos FO guy to me: "Good luck to the 49ers keeping Adam Peters for more than two years. He's a savant. He'll be a GM soon." Well then.

Anonymous sources always call young new hires wunderkinds or savants and stuff like that. I don't doubt it was said but faceless quotes are worth a fart in the wind.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
chamilitary wrote:
Vincent Frank:

Quote:

Anonymous sources always call young new hires wunderkinds or savants and stuff like that. I don't doubt it was said but faceless quotes are worth a fart in the wind.

Faceless? We're talking about FO Guy. I had lunch with FO yesterday, and he told me how his great uncle, Ray Guy, and he used to talk about football all the time. FO knows what he's talking about, and if FO says Peters is a savant, it must be true. FO is a really chill dude.

[/silliness]

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:
ESPN's Jim Trotter reports new 49ers GM John Lynch "will have final say over the draft, free agency, and 90-man roster."

Trotter reports presumptive coach Kyle Shanahan "will have final say on [the] 53-man roster." Even if Lynch has "final say," he should get plenty of help from Shanahan, what will likely be an experienced director of football operations, and the rest of the front office staff. The 49ers need to build strong scaffolding around Lynch if he is going to have early success.

Wow. Lynch has more say than I expected (if this is true).

Even with this "having final say" really doesn't mean much when he has a group of advisers.

Coaches, and scouts still fill him full of info and he just pulls the trigger.

Really overthinking this on some parts. He's not going to come into this not know how it works without having help along the way.

Yes, I know that final say doesn't mean you just become a maverick and start making decisions left and right that no one else agrees with. For the majority of decisions, everyone will be in concert. But it does mean that if he and Shanahan are ever in disagreement on drafting or signing a player (which might happen more often than you would think), Lynch is the one who gets his way, which is big.

I just don't see how it would be in Lynch's interest to draft or sign a player Kylo doesn't want. Baalke used to do that with Harbaugh, and Harbaugh simply wouldn't play certain guys. The GM can't force the HC to play whatever guy he signs, so even if he happens to be right (which Baalke turned out not to be), he just shouldn't get players the HC isn't going to play, because that just hurts everyone in the organization (except the lunch lady and the janitor, who jsut don't give a hoot). So, if Kylo and Johnnie Boy are in disagreement about a player, it's in the best interest of everyone just to get someone else. Or he just gets the player the HC wants and washes his hands of it to the owner, and let the HC hurt himself alone, or gain points alone. But I wouldn't think that should be a big problem, at least not early on.

Why are you attempting to make sense out of this and give it a positive spin?

catcheryea wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:
you missed a crying jordan in the middle of your sig man.
you missed a bowl game at the end of your season
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad Chip Kelly got out of there when he did. Laughing

Fell bad for my boys DeFo and Armstead, though. Maybe their new GM will trade them to us. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:

Fell bad for my boys DeFo and Armstead, though. Maybe their new GM will trade them to us. Laughing

Chip Kelly is a trainwreck. NFL was way over his head. Think you need to come to terms with that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Oregon Ducks wrote:

Chip Kelly is a trainwreck. NFL was way over his head. Think you need to come to terms with that.

True, but the Niners have a lot more problems than just HC, that team just isn't very good.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree, but no HC is going to fix their problems overnight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm indifferent to the Niners but I like John Lynch as a player and commentator so I hope this works out for him. But with a reeling mess of a team and no experience in that field, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: