Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TE upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: TE upgrade Reply with quote

Again these are only my opinions I'm posting just like my earlier WR post.

They are intended to spark intellectual discussions/debates on the board
that I feel are lacking:

I don't really care for ANY of our TEs

They show a flash here and there but lack any real consistency for any of them to be quality starters.

Do we address this discrepancy in the draft or in Free Agency?
or do you guys feel we are fine the way things are?

Discuss

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
Geek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now it's not nearly our biggest hole or most important position. It's a pretty great TE draft but unless a really good player falls a round or two I don't think it's a very pressing need and could wait till next season or a couple from now.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:
Right now it's not nearly our biggest hole or most important position. It's a pretty great TE draft but unless a really good player falls a round or two I don't think it's a very pressing need and could wait till next season or a couple from now.

I agree that there are bigger needs, but as this is a multi-year rebuild and we have needs at every position essentially, grab the best player available regardless of position. If a TE is there and can make a difference, go for it.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see us grab a guy in the 4th/5th/6th round. This draft is crazy deep at TE so some guys will end up getting pushed down. I've been a fan of Michael Roberts for a while now, Jake Butt could drop considerably with the knee but he's be a great value in the later rounds, Cole Hikutini from Louisville runs routes like a WR, has great hands and good size. Those three guys will be there in the later rounds I would think as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Geek wrote:

I agree that there are bigger needs, but as this is a multi-year rebuild and we have needs at every position essentially, grab the best player available regardless of position. If a TE is there and can make a difference, go for it.

That's what I meant by taking one if a player falls a round or two. Like it's not big enough of a need that we should go out of our way to take a TE, but if they're BPA we should go after them. In fact I think BPA is the best way to usually draft. Take few needs but grab the BPA, maybe in a 70/30 BPA/need ratio.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony Auclair. Go Canada!

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TE upgrade Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:

that I feel are lacking:

They show a flash here and there but lack any real consistency for any of them to be quality starters.

Discuss

McDonald has more potential to be a solid contributor at TE than any of our WRs do ... IMHO of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a FB to be added at some point, When does Bruce get released from jail?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TE upgrade Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:

that I feel are lacking:

Discuss

McDonald has more potential to be a solid contributor at TE than any of our WRs do ... IMHO of course.

McDonald has been vastly inconsistent for us for the entire time he's been in SF. He has no more potential than what he has shown us. He basically is ....what he is going to be...nothing more.

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted Vance off the team and been calling him a bust for about 3 years now (naturally, we gave him an extension). Our tight ends are possibly the worst pass catching tight ends in the league (seriously, have you seen the drops on these guys?). Vance has done nothing remotely impressive his entire tenure. Basically, he and Celek are pretty much the same (so how one got so much more than the other I will never know).

Here's the thing that is important - if we draft a young quarterback, or go after Glennon (who is known to check down), I think a good pass catching tight end is even more vital than normal. If those guys are going to play, security blankets can be super important. Sure, you don't want them to develop a crutch, but it can be super important to the team because these newer tight ends can really make things happen, particularly after the catch.

So if we for some reason draft a quarterback at 2, then I'm even more okay with drafting a tight end or upgrading the position immediately after. I would understand if we didn't, but in this draft it's certainly a position we can upgrade and I would really like that.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
AustrianNiner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
I expect a FB to be added at some point, When does Bruce get released from jail?

Falcons' DiMarco will be a FA this offseason, if they don't re-sign him I can definitely see Shanahan going after him.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustrianNiner wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

Falcons' DiMarco will be a FA this offseason, if they don't re-sign him I can definitely see Shanahan going after him.

All the good and name recognized FBs are FAs this year. A guy I like via the draft a lot is Sam Rogers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good year for TEs. I'm pretty sure Shanny would like to have a really good one in his arsenal of offensive weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I've wanted Vance off the team and been calling him a bust for about 3 years now (naturally, we gave him an extension). Our tight ends are possibly the worst pass catching tight ends in the league (seriously, have you seen the drops on these guys?). Vance has done nothing remotely impressive his entire tenure. Basically, he and Celek are pretty much the same (so how one got so much more than the other I will never know).

Here's the thing that is important - if we draft a young quarterback, or go after Glennon (who is known to check down), I think a good pass catching tight end is even more vital than normal. If those guys are going to play, security blankets can be super important. Sure, you don't want them to develop a crutch, but it can be super important to the team because these newer tight ends can really make things happen, particularly after the catch.

So if we for some reason draft a quarterback at 2, then I'm even more okay with drafting a tight end or upgrading the position immediately after. I would understand if we didn't, but in this draft it's certainly a position we can upgrade and I would really like that.

I'm probably McDonald's biggest fan on the board but he breaks my heart too often Crying or Very sad. But I still always wanted him to keep him. Just wanted a true #1 alongside him. This is the draft where we could find that type of TE.

El ramster on the sig
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TE upgrade Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:

that I feel are lacking:

Discuss

McDonald has been vastly inconsistent for us for the entire time he's been in SF. He has no more potential than what he has shown us. He basically is ....what he is going to be...nothing more.

Yeah. I know. It's just that I like our WRs even less.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: