Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TE upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pandomonium


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 3147
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: TE upgrade Reply with quote

Again these are only my opinions I'm posting just like my earlier WR post.

They are intended to spark intellectual discussions/debates on the board
that I feel are lacking:

I don't really care for ANY of our TEs

They show a flash here and there but lack any real consistency for any of them to be quality starters.

Do we address this discrepancy in the draft or in Free Agency?
or do you guys feel we are fine the way things are?

Discuss
_________________
I DON'T BANDWAGON...

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geek


Joined: 06 Sep 2014
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now it's not nearly our biggest hole or most important position. It's a pretty great TE draft but unless a really good player falls a round or two I don't think it's a very pressing need and could wait till next season or a couple from now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13924
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:
Right now it's not nearly our biggest hole or most important position. It's a pretty great TE draft but unless a really good player falls a round or two I don't think it's a very pressing need and could wait till next season or a couple from now.


I agree that there are bigger needs, but as this is a multi-year rebuild and we have needs at every position essentially, grab the best player available regardless of position. If a TE is there and can make a difference, go for it.
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 948
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see us grab a guy in the 4th/5th/6th round. This draft is crazy deep at TE so some guys will end up getting pushed down. I've been a fan of Michael Roberts for a while now, Jake Butt could drop considerably with the knee but he's be a great value in the later rounds, Cole Hikutini from Louisville runs routes like a WR, has great hands and good size. Those three guys will be there in the later rounds I would think as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geek


Joined: 06 Sep 2014
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Geek wrote:
Right now it's not nearly our biggest hole or most important position. It's a pretty great TE draft but unless a really good player falls a round or two I don't think it's a very pressing need and could wait till next season or a couple from now.


I agree that there are bigger needs, but as this is a multi-year rebuild and we have needs at every position essentially, grab the best player available regardless of position. If a TE is there and can make a difference, go for it.


That's what I meant by taking one if a player falls a round or two. Like it's not big enough of a need that we should go out of our way to take a TE, but if they're BPA we should go after them. In fact I think BPA is the best way to usually draft. Take few needs but grab the BPA, maybe in a 70/30 BPA/need ratio.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17037
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony Auclair. Go Canada!
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19693
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TE upgrade Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:
Again these are only my opinions I'm posting just like my earlier WR post.

They are intended to spark intellectual discussions/debates on the board
that I feel are lacking:

I don't really care for ANY of our TEs

They show a flash here and there but lack any real consistency for any of them to be quality starters.

Do we address this discrepancy in the draft or in Free Agency?
or do you guys feel we are fine the way things are?

Discuss


McDonald has more potential to be a solid contributor at TE than any of our WRs do ... IMHO of course.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 3712
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a FB to be added at some point, When does Bruce get released from jail?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pandomonium


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 3147
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TE upgrade Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:
Again these are only my opinions I'm posting just like my earlier WR post.

They are intended to spark intellectual discussions/debates on the board
that I feel are lacking:

I don't really care for ANY of our TEs

They show a flash here and there but lack any real consistency for any of them to be quality starters.

Do we address this discrepancy in the draft or in Free Agency?
or do you guys feel we are fine the way things are?

Discuss


McDonald has more potential to be a solid contributor at TE than any of our WRs do ... IMHO of course.


McDonald has been vastly inconsistent for us for the entire time he's been in SF. He has no more potential than what he has shown us. He basically is ....what he is going to be...nothing more.
_________________
I DON'T BANDWAGON...

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19066
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted Vance off the team and been calling him a bust for about 3 years now (naturally, we gave him an extension). Our tight ends are possibly the worst pass catching tight ends in the league (seriously, have you seen the drops on these guys?). Vance has done nothing remotely impressive his entire tenure. Basically, he and Celek are pretty much the same (so how one got so much more than the other I will never know).

Here's the thing that is important - if we draft a young quarterback, or go after Glennon (who is known to check down), I think a good pass catching tight end is even more vital than normal. If those guys are going to play, security blankets can be super important. Sure, you don't want them to develop a crutch, but it can be super important to the team because these newer tight ends can really make things happen, particularly after the catch.

So if we for some reason draft a quarterback at 2, then I'm even more okay with drafting a tight end or upgrading the position immediately after. I would understand if we didn't, but in this draft it's certainly a position we can upgrade and I would really like that.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AustrianNiner


Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Posts: 199
Location: Austria
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
I expect a FB to be added at some point, When does Bruce get released from jail?


Falcons' DiMarco will be a FA this offseason, if they don't re-sign him I can definitely see Shanahan going after him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 948
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustrianNiner wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
I expect a FB to be added at some point, When does Bruce get released from jail?


Falcons' DiMarco will be a FA this offseason, if they don't re-sign him I can definitely see Shanahan going after him.


All the good and name recognized FBs are FAs this year. A guy I like via the draft a lot is Sam Rogers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19693
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good year for TEs. I'm pretty sure Shanny would like to have a really good one in his arsenal of offensive weapons.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 44875
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I've wanted Vance off the team and been calling him a bust for about 3 years now (naturally, we gave him an extension). Our tight ends are possibly the worst pass catching tight ends in the league (seriously, have you seen the drops on these guys?). Vance has done nothing remotely impressive his entire tenure. Basically, he and Celek are pretty much the same (so how one got so much more than the other I will never know).

Here's the thing that is important - if we draft a young quarterback, or go after Glennon (who is known to check down), I think a good pass catching tight end is even more vital than normal. If those guys are going to play, security blankets can be super important. Sure, you don't want them to develop a crutch, but it can be super important to the team because these newer tight ends can really make things happen, particularly after the catch.

So if we for some reason draft a quarterback at 2, then I'm even more okay with drafting a tight end or upgrading the position immediately after. I would understand if we didn't, but in this draft it's certainly a position we can upgrade and I would really like that.


I'm probably McDonald's biggest fan on the board but he breaks my heart too often Crying or Very sad. But I still always wanted him to keep him. Just wanted a true #1 alongside him. This is the draft where we could find that type of TE.
_________________

El ramster on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19693
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TE upgrade Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:
Again these are only my opinions I'm posting just like my earlier WR post.

They are intended to spark intellectual discussions/debates on the board
that I feel are lacking:

I don't really care for ANY of our TEs

They show a flash here and there but lack any real consistency for any of them to be quality starters.

Do we address this discrepancy in the draft or in Free Agency?
or do you guys feel we are fine the way things are?

Discuss


McDonald has more potential to be a solid contributor at TE than any of our WRs do ... IMHO of course.


McDonald has been vastly inconsistent for us for the entire time he's been in SF. He has no more potential than what he has shown us. He basically is ....what he is going to be...nothing more.


Yeah. I know. It's just that I like our WRs even less.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group