You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater likely to miss 2017 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
I'm still trying to piece together how all that happened on a routine drop back. Hoping for a full recovery for him...

Hard telling, cleat stuck with leg at an awkward position, the ACL may have tore or some other ligaments tore weakening the knee and his body weight did the rest. Probably just a freak thing but he may have been susceptible to it with just how he is made.

All I have heard is that it involved tripping of some sort.

I think this was the case.

Alex Boone said in an interview that at the time it was a non contact drill, Teddy dropped back to pass, and (supposedly, since he didn't see it) planted awkwardly causing the horrific injury. when he looked bad, he didn't know if Teddy was joking or not, until he heard him screaming.

I feel awful for him. If this is true, then thats even worse. my guess was he'd be on the PUP list this year and come back midseason. nothing has been confirmed though according to the team.

I preferred him over Bradford and thought he'd take that next step this year. Bradford isn't a bad option, but he needs a lot of help around him for him to be successful, or he'll go into a shell (like he did at Chicago, at Philly and vs Indy). Teddy could at least play under tough pressure.

hope he comes back and has a good career in the NFL, whether it's with the Vikings or not.

Not even worth it to PUP him with the injury he had. Tell him he is going to be shut down for the 2017 season. Let him focus on rehabbing and strengthening his leg and tell him to prepare for the 2018 season.

If he has any hope of fully recovering from that kind of injury, he cant have any set backs or rushing back. He had such a violent knee injury. I think it be better to play it safe with him. Teddy is the kind of player who doesnt rely on the athletic ability. Before the injury, he could of been a guy who could of been a starter for 10+ years. If he plays this injury right, he could see have a long career but just wont be as good as he could of been. I think it he rushes it and the knee isnt ready, he prolly wont be a long term starter.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgewater should be on IR but will start the season on PUP I believe. Not a chance Teddy takes the starting job from Bradford this year and given Teddys injury, you probably don't want him to ever have to fill in for Bradford due to injury.

MN might have to consider looking at other young QBs, or else, give Taylor Heinicke a shot as QB2.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
This'll pretty much ruin any chance of him developing into anything more than a game manager.

The Bradford trade is looking better by the minute even if the price was rather hefty.

I agree. They brought in Bradford to hold down the fort for a year, maybe two, while Teddy got healthy. You don't trade for decent starting QBs in the NFL just before the regular season without paying a heavy price. The Vikings paid it and Sammy had a good year despite playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. It was win-win for Minnesota and Philly.

It's terrible news for Teddy and I hope he does have a future as a starter, be it for us or another team. I like the guy, and he's worked too hard for a one-in-a-million no-contact injury to spell the end of him.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on Bridgewater situation, or at least his contract.

**Bridgewater's health and possible return to playing time remains uncertain. all the Vikings release are statements like there is no timetable, we don't know anything at this time, etc.

**Bridgewater is entering the 5th year of his rookie contract and the Vikings announced last week they are not picking up his option. which would make him a free agent in 2018 after this next season ends.

however...

there is a clause in rookie contracts that allows their team to keep a player's rights to him for an additional year if he is on the PUP list on the sixth game of the season. and if you are on the PUP list for the first game of the season you must remain there for six games.

so...

if the Vikings put Bridgewater on the PUP list to start the year, he remains there for a minimum of six games, invoking the clause in the contract that would toll the player to a sixth contractual year at the established fifth year price of service. ($1.35 million.)

fortune shines on the Vikings perhaps (contractually), allowing them to take a year of wait and see attitude with Bridgewater before deciding what to do with his contract and Bradford's, and keeping them from having two expensive QB's under contract at the same time.

Vikings GM Rick Spielman: We know the rule very well. Weve talked to the Management Council, we understand everything thats involved with it, but again its something from a contractual standpoint that Id rather not comment on. But there are specific rules there, and were quite aware of what the rules are.

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.

Last edited by vike daddy on Fri May 05, 2017 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
joru1000

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for him, and I hope he recovers, but I don't see the point in bringing him back to our team in 2018.

He never showed anything more in his two seasons with us, than what Bradford showed us last year. He might have better pocket awareness than Bradford but the ceiling for his physical tools is much lower. I liked him as guy, but I never understood why my fellow Vikings fans made Teddy out to be a franchise quarterback.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
fortune shines on the Vikings perhaps (contractually), allowing them to take a year of wait and see attitude with Bridgewater before deciding what to do with his contract and Bradford's, and keeping them from having two expensive QB's under contract at the same time.

Fortune shines on Bridgewater too. He likely would have had to sign for the vet minimum in his 6th year somewhere. Now he gets the chance to maybe play a little and earn a bigger deal after that.

~T.S. Eliot
TENINCH

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy is still only 24 years old. Even if he doesn't play again till next year he still has plenty of time to become a good QB. I think he's capable of becoming a franchise QB if he can come back healthy.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move, he needs some time off.

I wish it was standard that if some one had a serious injury or any surgery, they should take the following season off.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
update on Bridgewater situation, or at least his contract.

**Bridgewater's health and possible return to playing time remains uncertain. all the Vikings release are statements like there is no timetable, we don't know anything at this time, etc.

**Bridgewater is entering the 5th year of his rookie contract and the Vikings announced last week they are not picking up his option. which would make him a free agent in 2018 after this next season ends.

however...

there is a clause in rookie contracts that allows their team to keep a player's rights to him for an additional year if he is on the PUP list on the sixth game of the season. and if you are on the PUP list for the first game of the season you must remain there for six games.

so...

if the Vikings put Bridgewater on the PUP list to start the year, he remains there for a minimum of six games, invoking the clause in the contract that would toll the player to a sixth contractual year at the established fifth year price of service. ($1.35 million.)

Vikings GM Rick Spielman: We know the rule very well. Weve talked to the Management Council, we understand everything thats involved with it, but again its something from a contractual standpoint that Id rather not comment on. But there are specific rules there, and were quite aware of what the rules are.

thats actually a really smart clause in a contract. I think it benefits everyone. It allows a team to keep that 1st rd pick under their rookie contract if there is an injury. Also gives the player a little extra security
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Its going to be hard for him coming back, though. He is missing some serious time during what are supposed to be his formative years in the NFL. Not to say he cant come back and have success, but I think its an uphill battle. I never really viewed him as much more than a slightly above average QB talent, and felt his first few years of coaching would be integral to his success.

Time will tell, I suppose. First and foremost, I just want him to get healthy. Football is secondary right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say by 2018-2019 his leg has healed nicely and the doctors are pleased with the healing and rehab process. Even if that does happen, you have to wonder about his confidence stepping onto the field again. Meaning how long will it take (if ever) for him to drop back and not worry about it happening again? I'm obviously not a professional athlete but damn I dont know if I would ever feel comfortable running around and trying to make plays without that thought in the back of my head.

Either way ill be rooting for him
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best for both parties involved if he is still on the PUP by week 6 and gets another year tacked on to his contract.

The Vikings get more time to evaluate him. Bridgewater gets more money in 2018 than he would likely command otherwise. Even if he ends up being cut because Bradford cements his role as starter, he'll only be 26.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: