Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys off-season-what would you do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysFan96

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
CowboysFan96 wrote:
My dream scenario is for the cowboys to keep the following players

Resigned players

Romo (he restructures to stay)
Ronald Leary returns on team friendly deal
D. Jackson - 3yr 21mill
Barry Church- 4yr 28mill

We then draft a DE in the first, and a RT in the second round.

I would smh so hard at this

Someone will pay him that. Its around NFL average. Maybe 6mil per
We need him back though because JJ Wilcox can't cover
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church is not even close to being a $7mil a year guy. I'd play an undrafted FA before I'd give Church more than $3mil a year. He is far too limited. He misses too many tackles and can't cover anyone. I view him as a progress stopper if he isn't cheap.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree. That is way to much for Church. Ill take the comp pick if thats his market value for sure.

Adopted Cowboy - Jaylon Smith - Stats:NERVE FIRING!
CowboysFan96

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I just don't want to go through years of terrible safety play like have in the past. I also don't think Dallas lets a team captain walk so easily. We'll have to see.

Heath has stepped up lately for us, but he has also played the ball poorly in the past.
resilient

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysFan96 wrote:
Maybe I just don't want to go through years of terrible safety play like have in the past. I also don't think Dallas lets a team captain walk so easily. We'll have to see.

Heath has stepped up lately for us, but he has also played the ball poorly in the past.

Heath's sample size is very small and limited.
CowboysFan96

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resilient wrote:
CowboysFan96 wrote:

Heath's sample size is very small and limited.

Very true and honestly I don't trust him on the field.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysFan96 wrote:

His average $$ on his last contract was like $2.5/yr. I cant see him jumping up to $7M. Maybe somewhere in the middle of those two numbers, but still unlikely to me. I think he is closer to ~$3m/yr

CowboysFan96

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
CowboysFan96 wrote:

His average $$ on his last contract was like $2.5/yr. I cant see him jumping up to $7M. Maybe somewhere in the middle of those two numbers, but still unlikely to me. I think he is closer to ~$3m/yr

if we can resign Barry for 3m per that would be a complete steal. That would be around the lower tier of starters.

http://overthecap.com/position/safety/
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysFan96 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
CowboysFan96 wrote:

if we can resign Barry for 3m per that would be a complete steal. That would be around the lower tier of starters.

http://overthecap.com/position/safety/

Church is a lower tier safety, IMO

matt79511

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church is good for what he is, he's just limited. Led the team in tackles several years, team captain for a while, etc etc. He led our team in INTs last year, as well, with a whopping 2, and both of them showed exactly the kind of player he is. Both came in underneath coverage "robber" situations where he sat in a short zone, eyed the QB, and had the ball thrown right to him by a QB who didn't see him- barely even had to move. They don't trust him in man coverage vs. hardly anyone and he gets picked on in the infrequent cases that he's the deep FS. Dude's basically a linebacker.

I think we'll end up seeing him re-signed to a $5M/yr-ish kind of deal before free agency, for his tackling and intangibles and continuity and whatnot, but he's far from irreplaceable. $7M/yr is too much for anyone in Dallas' free agent class this year, IMO, given their cap constraints.

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysFan96 wrote:
Maybe I just don't want to go through years of terrible safety play like have in the past.

Church has been a starter for what? 4 years now? And has been a role player in the secondary for 7 years now. He is part of that terrible safety play in the past. I think we could do worse, no doubt, but he's a former UDFA that has played more like a solid 5th rounder. He's not at all a corner stone, despite his captain status.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is my latest version of "what would you do..."

1. Cowboys trade Romo to NYJ for M. Wilkerson and a 4th round pick.

2. Cowboys sign WR D. Jackson. This would help stretch the field and keep him out of the hands of divisional opponents. A combination of O. Beckham and D. Jackson is frightening.

3. The Cowboys lose several players in FA including R. Leary in to the Iggles, not fun but a likely possibility as they NEED huge upgrades on the O line and they are talking ONLY about WR in the 1st round. This move would strengthen them while potentially weaking us.

Our draft board would now be:

1st DE S. Thomas

2nd CB Jourdan Lewis

3rd WR Cooper Kupp

4th

4th

6th

7th

7th.

That's what I got so far.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Thomas or Kupp are in the ballpark for Dallas at either of those spots. From what I've read, Thomas has put up Von Miller type numbers in private workouts. Would guess he goes top 15. As for Kupp, some mixed opinions. Some think he falls, I think he's a top 40 guy. No way he's there end of rd 3.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right. Best I just lay low until after the combine and wait for the start of FA.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
You are probably right. Best I just lay low until after the combine and wait for the start of FA.

I'm actually interested in how both of those guys will test. I'm a bit skeptical of Thomas testing as well as people are expecting.

^El Ramster

Adopt a Cowboy - Tyrone Crawford - 28 Tackles | 8 TFL | 4.5 Sacks | 22 Hurries

Cicero wrote:
You're the Tony Romo we never deserved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: