Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Big Ben going to retire?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaserFocus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of talk and/or thoughts aren't really unusual following a disappointing loss. Jerome Bettis practically announced his retirement after the 2004 playoffs, then changed his mind later.

In Ben's case, he's smart to consider the long term picture. He's already a HOF lock, with two SB titles, and part of a storied NFL franchise. Has already taken a ton of punishment over the years, partly due to his playing style of extending plays. Family concerns also come into play, and going through the grind of another season is different at 35 than 25.

I do think he'll be back as we get closer to the 2017 season, however. He'll see a potent offense with Bell available from the start, and Martavis Bryant coming back. He'll see a defense with talented rookies missing their best defensive player(Cam Heyward), and should improve. The club should be a SB contender again, so that should be enough for #7 to stay.
Rygar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Doubt it. He is clearly declining and has gotten his butt kicked his entire career, but he still has 2-3 years of above average play imo.

People on this forum said he was declining back in 2013. It wasn't true then, and it doesn't appear to be true now either. He's still the best deep-ball QB in the NFL, and he had the fifth-most TD passes per game of any QB this season despite the attrition the Steelers dealt with at WR. If he was declining, then neither of those things would be the case.

OleXmad wrote:
The Steelers FO isn't the brightest in the world...

Then how are they the winningest team in the NFL since the merger? They've won more regular-season games, playoff games and Super Bowls than any other team. They have an entire regular season's worth of AFC Championship Games, and they have only one more losing season than they have seasons advancing to the Super Bowl. I'd argue that they have the best front office in the NFL, honestly.

J Soze wrote:
He's an old veteran now - he probably can't stand the current locker room culture.

This is exactly what I believe it is. The hints were there. He called the team "undisciplined and unaccountable" after they lost their fourth game in a row mid-season, and I've noticed that he's gotten much more visibly upset with his teammates whenever they screw up. And the locker room fiasco with Antonio Brown lends credence to this too, proving that the locker room culture is too damn loose for a team to win a Super Bowl with.

Roethlisberger had a down season by his standards, primarily after his knee injury, but it can also be attributed to others around him not doing their jobs. In just the last two playoff games, his WRs left five TDs on the field. Against the Chiefs, Antonio Brown failed to maintain possession of a ball he caught in the end zone as he fell to the ground, and Eli Rogers didn't see the seam pass that whistled past his earhole at the goal line. Against the Patriots, Cobi Hamilton dropped a pass in the end zone that hit him in the numbers, and had another TD nullified by an illegal touching penalty after he carelessly stepped out of bounds. Sammie Coates also ran a sloppy route on a pass thrown for the left-rear pylon in the end zone, requiring him to lay out for it. I also remember TD passes being dropped during the regular season as well, plus lots of miscommunication resulting in incompletions and INTs.

Roethlisberger has always been a more savvy QB than he's ever been given credit for, and being the young guy on a pair of Super Bowl championship teams taught him exactly what it takes to win them, so I believe he's pissed off and rattling his saber right now, because he knows that the window of opportunity to win another Super Bowl is getting smaller, but other players don't seem to take it seriously. Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant were both suspended for drugs (again). Antonio Brown was broadcasting on social media from the locker room while Mike Tomlin was explicitly telling his players to stay off social media. Several players were seen laughing it up on the sidelines during a blowout loss in the AFC Championship Game.

With all the goofing off, all the lapses in communication throughout the season, Markus Wheaton dropping four passes against the Eagles, the 10 penalties committed in the first half alone against the Ravens in Baltimore, the defense blowing the lead against the Cowboys in just 40 seconds, all the dropped TDs in the playoffs, and the defense's lack of preparation for the AFC Championship Game, if you were Roethlisberger, would you be happy, especially knowing that you're taking all the blame for everybody? I know I wouldn't. I don't believe that he intends to retire, but this is his warning for people to get their [inappropriate/removed] together or he's gone, and they're not winning a Super Bowl without him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
It would be so awesome if he did. If only because nobody saw it coming.

the newest Madden game saw it coming. i'd call that a legitimate source. Wink

but seriously, I doubt he leaves them and eats nearly 19M to walk away now. I think he has about 3 more years left of top play, and then he'll retire.

whoever said he won't be playing at age 38-39 like some of these guys, I totally agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Drama queen. If you want to retire, do it. No need to send out cryptic messages to get attention. We've had enough of that with Brett Favre.

Meanwhile Eli is a top 3 finalist for Walter Payton Man of the Year award for the second year in a row.

Come at me bro

He told a radio show at his age, you have to consider it. How does that make him a drama queen?

Congrats on Eli possibly winning that. Ill take the guy who is far better on the field and always has been. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Bobby Layne and Norm Van Brocklin were HoF QBs with multiple titles from the 1950s. They both had a rugged style and were knocked out repeatedly. They died at age 59 and 57. Idea

Yeah but wasn't the life expectancy back then like 60?

Smile

Layne was turned down several times for college coaching jobs in the 1970s. Van Brocklin was the expansion HC for the Vikings in 1960 and the Falcons in '66. Minneapolis sports writer Jim Klobuchar in his memoir, described NVB as occasionally brilliant, exceedingly generous but occasionally moody to the point of scary.
Idea
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Drama queen. If you want to retire, do it. No need to send out cryptic messages to get attention. We've had enough of that with Brett Favre.

Meanwhile Eli is a top 3 finalist for Walter Payton Man of the Year award for the second year in a row.

Come at me bro

He told a radio show at his age, you have to consider it. How does that make him a drama queen?

Congrats on Eli possibly winning that. Ill take the guy who is far better on the field and always has been. Thanks.

I mean... its not like Eli hasn't proven himself in the playoffs either. He's got two rings to show for it, and certainly has never done anything sleazy off the field like Ben has.
Cant spell choke without OKC
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Come at me bro

I mean... its not like Eli hasn't proven himself in the playoffs either. He's got two rings to show for it, and certainly has never done anything sleazy off the field like Ben has.

I clearly said ON THE FIELD. Eli has never been on Ben's level. Bringing up rings, as usual, is stupid. Take the rings away from both, and Ben wold still be relevant.

OFF THE FIELD, Ben clearly has a more spotted past, but only idiots still bring up this garbage for no reason, especially when he was never proven guilty of anything.

But hey, by now, I should know better than to use common sense with you. Thats on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Come at me bro

I clearly said ON THE FIELD. Eli has never been on Ben's level. Bringing up rings, as usual, is stupid. Take the rings away from both, and Ben wold still be relevant.

OFF THE FIELD, Ben clearly has a more spotted past, but only idiots still bring up this garbage for no reason, especially when he was never proven guilty of anything.

But hey, by now, I should know better than to use common sense with you. Thats on me.

Very few NFL players get convicted of anything that will have an actual impact on their character. Ben was a scumbag but he grew up and I respect him for that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ had a lot to do with him getting away with it all.
TXsteeler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Ben retiring after next year if we have another disappointing season. I think they need to get rid of Haley before then though or it's bound to happen.
Techbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Bobby Layne and Norm Van Brocklin were HoF QBs with multiple titles from the 1950s. They both had a rugged style and were knocked out repeatedly. They died at age 59 and 57. Idea

Yeah but wasn't the life expectancy back then like 60?

Smile

Layne was turned down several times for college coaching jobs in the 1970s. Van Brocklin was the expansion HC for the Vikings in 1960 and the Falcons in '66. Minneapolis sports writer Jim Klobuchar in his memoir, described NVB as occasionally brilliant, exceedingly generous but occasionally moody to the point of scary.
Idea

Sorry for the anal retention, but The Falcons expansion HC was Lombardi assistant Norb Hecker, who Vince said was not ready. the very green Falcons brain trust figured Vince was lying and trying to fool them. The first runner-up for the job was allegedly Frank Broyles, and I believe he would have been an outstanding choice. NVB took over the team during '68 and lasted until 8 games into '74.

Again, sorry for the interruption. Carry on.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar wrote:

OleXmad wrote:
The Steelers FO isn't the brightest in the world...

Then how are they the winningest team in the NFL since the merger? They've won more regular-season games, playoff games and Super Bowls than any other team. They have an entire regular season's worth of AFC Championship Games, and they have only one more losing season than they have seasons advancing to the Super Bowl. I'd argue that they have the best front office in the NFL, honestly.

The steelers of old and the Mike Tomlin/Colbert steelers are very different eras of football and you can't use what happened 30+years ago to prove the current FO hasn't made mistakes. Also they don't have the NFL's best front office that title belongs to Darth Hoodie and friends, The Steelers are a solid front office but there's a reason their defense declined and Colbert's draft record is spotty as hell recently (aside from the big hits the team clearly lacks good depth)

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
Tyty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time Ben Roethlisberger is in the news for a word starting with the letter "R", you kinda have to worry
ChiefsFtw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. The league will be better off without the scum
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Prove all the haters wrong Ben and retire!

He will retire Idea
Rygar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiefsFtw wrote:
Good. The league will be better off without the scum

May I give you a little bit of advice? As long as the Chiefs have Tyreek Hill on their roster, you live in a glass house, so it'd behoove you not to throw stones at any non-Chiefs player with character concerns, proven or alleged. You're welcome, and good luck next season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: