Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Big Ben going to retire?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drama queen. If you want to retire, do it. No need to send out cryptic messages to get attention. We've had enough of that with Brett Favre.

Meanwhile Eli is a top 3 finalist for Walter Payton Man of the Year award for the second year in a row.

Come at me bro

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
iothar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Drama queen. If you want to retire, do it. No need to send out cryptic messages to get attention. We've had enough of that with Brett Favre.

Meanwhile Eli is a top 3 finalist for Walter Payton Man of the Year award for the second year in a row.

Come at me bro

And a much worse QB to Ben.

Ben's frustrated and not answering questions.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be so awesome if he did. If only because nobody saw it coming.

Adopt-a-Buc Mike Evans 96 RECs 1,321 YDs 12 TDs
J Soze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine you grew up in the NFL with guys like James Farrior, Alan Faneca, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, and Jerome Bettis in the locker room.

He's an old veteran now - he probably can't stand the current locker room culture.

I think it's pretty clear he has a lot of animosity towards Tomlin & co. as well.

And maybe he doesn't want to limp out of the league beaten down, declining year after year, while incredible opportunity is squandered by poor game planning.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Soze wrote:
I think it's pretty clear he has a lot of animosity towards Tomlin & co. as well.

I'd like to hear more about this. I was under the impression it was more of a Haley thing?

Looking at his contract, I doubt it's posturing for an extension, as his compensation through 2019 seems very fair.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, we've seen this from Big Ben before with injuries, initial reports of missed time are always overblown - then he comes back much earlier than initially reported.

Maybe the retirement talk is really genuine, but at this stage Ben's history merits more than a little skepticism.

The more interesting angle is how much this reflects a more deep-rooted issue like beefs with Haley, Brown (both are very plausible IMO) or Tomlin (not so clear on what the beef would be, unless it's about Brown or Haley).
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he won't be retiring. Still at 35 and with his injury history retirement has to be on his mind.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
J Soze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
J Soze wrote:

I'd like to hear more about this. I was under the impression it was more of a Haley thing?

Looking at his contract, I doubt it's posturing for an extension, as his compensation through 2019 seems very fair.

I can't come up with the quote at the moment, but on his radio show he attributed much of the game to poor coaching/planning.

He said in the middle of the year when a few players got hurt, that it was Tomlin's fault for running practices the way he does.

He's made other passive-agressive shots at the coaching - "We are undisciplined and unaccountable".

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/14/ben-roethlisberger-asked-mike-tomlin-to-demand-more-urgency-questioned-steelers-team-discipline/
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Soze wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
J Soze wrote:

I can't come up with the quote at the moment, but on his radio show he attributed much of the game to poor coaching/planning.

He said in the middle of the year when a few players got hurt, that it was Tomlin's fault for running practices the way he does.

He's made other passive-agressive shots at the coaching - "We are undisciplined and unaccountable".

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/14/ben-roethlisberger-asked-mike-tomlin-to-demand-more-urgency-questioned-steelers-team-discipline/

Watching the documentary on Aikman recently, the Big Ben situation is sounding similar in ways to what happened there...
Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Layne and Norm Van Brocklin were HoF QBs with multiple titles from the 1950s. They both had a rugged style and were knocked out repeatedly. They died at age 59 and 57. Idea
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Bobby Layne and Norm Van Brocklin were HoF QBs with multiple titles from the 1950s. They both had a rugged style and were knocked out repeatedly. They died at age 59 and 57. Idea

Yeah but wasn't the life expectancy back then like 60?

Smile
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Smile

In the mid 80's? (it was 71.1 for males)

They both died of cardiac arrest. Doesn't seem like something that would be attributed to play professional football unless they were taking PEDs and they didn't really come around in the NFL (as far as we know) until their careers were over.

Last edited by Thomas5737 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Smile

Van Brockin died of a heart attack. Layne died from a cardiac arrest 3 days after experiencing intestinal bleeding.

Instead of retiring to prevent heart disease 25 years down the line maybe Ben should eat more fish and order a salad every now and then. Laughing
rfournier103

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the talk is a result of frustration on Ben's part.

I think some of the talk is also a result of him ON SOME LEVEL actually thinking about it. The retirement idea HAS to be rattling around in that enormous cranium somewhere... A "competitor" would never utter the "R" word if he was 100% against it.
SHONUFF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see him retiring. He's just deflecting media elattention on a horribly coached and played game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: