Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Big Ben going to retire?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bolts223

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Is Big Ben going to retire? Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000778769/Should-we-take-Ben-Roethlisberger-s-possible-retirement-seriously
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it. He is clearly declining and has gotten his butt kicked his entire career, but he still has 2-3 years of above average play imo.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it.

Nacho Simulation Football League
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Ben.

I take this as seriously as I do when he's milking an injury that he says could keep him out of Ravens-Steelers week.

I think what IS serious is that he'd not happy with Todd Haley. I think a lot of that is warranted. Haley has not been a good play caller and isn't good at utilizing his best players. This has been an offense that has wildly underachieved turning yard into points, specifically.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
It's Ben.

I take this as seriously as I do when he's milking an injury that he says could keep him out of Ravens-Steelers week.

Exactly. Dude just likes the attention.

If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prove all the haters wrong Ben and retire!
Crickett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible. Two reasons.
1. His body is breaking down and it's been breaking down for a while.

wackywabbit wrote:

This to me is missing the forest for the trees. When does this happen? It always happens. Why does it always happen? Because he's always hurt. He has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Doesn't matter, still can't stay healthy.

2. Antonio Brown trade rumors. Do you think Ben Roethlisberger wants to come back for his 14th season with Eli Rogers and Sammie Coates as his top two receivers? If Brown gets dealt, Ben could look at the Steelers offense and decide it's just not worth coming back. Tbh, I have to wonder if this isn't Ben's way of warning the Steelers organization what could happen if they deal Brown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

This to me is missing the forest for the trees. When does this happen? It always happens. Why does it always happen? Because he's always hurt. He has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Doesn't matter, still can't stay healthy.

It's not because he always plays hurt. Everyone does that. It's because he always plays up every injury as really serious, then comes back "early". It's posturing for the fans. And that's what he's doing here too.

If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
OleXmad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
I think it's possible. Two reasons.
1. His body is breaking down and it's been breaking down for a while.

wackywabbit wrote:

2. Antonio Brown trade rumors. Do you think Ben Roethlisberger wants to come back for his 14th season with Eli Rogers and Sammie Coates as his top two receivers? If Brown gets dealt, Ben could look at the Steelers offense and decide it's just not worth coming back. Tbh, I have to wonder if this isn't Ben's way of warning the Steelers organization what could happen if they deal Brown.

1. Big ben isn't retiring because of the injuries (even though there are a ton and they've added up) he's saying it because he wants people to talk about him/he'll use this for leverage for something in the future he wants from the steelers. If he really wanted to retire because of the injuries, he would've retired a while ago.

2. He would owe about half of his most recent contract extension's signing bonus (about 18.5 million) back to the steelers if he retired, I doubt he'd want to pay that back.

3. Antonio Brown isn't going to be traded they're just rumors, The Steelers FO isn't the brightest in the world but you don't trade the league's best receiver when you're trying to win a Superbowl.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Crickett wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

It's not because he always plays hurt. Everyone does that. It's because he always plays up every injury as really serious, then comes back "early". It's posturing for the fans. And that's what he's doing here too.

Yeah, the Emmitt Smith thing. Every 3 weeks he suffers the "worst" injury of his career and doesn't even miss a start. Get carted off the field with 2 minutes to go until half giving the thumbs up and starts the second half. They are warriors. Almost super-human. Or maybe they ham it up.

Tomlin said that Ben has said all this before. He'll make 46 million over the next 3 years, he probably won't leave that behind. He has made plenty of money so he could but I seriously doubt that he will.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:

3. Antonio Brown isn't going to be traded they're just rumors, The Steelers FO isn't the brightest in the world but you don't trade the league's best receiver when you're trying to win a Superbowl.

I don't think they trade Brown either but if they do it is because he is a selfish player and a borderline idiot. Maybe do a player for player trade with Brown, trade him straight up for TY Hilton who is a little younger and signed for a few more years.
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
It's Ben.

I'm a 50+ year Browns fan, I can't stand the Steelers, but nonetheless, I respect the hell out of them.

I don't think that Ben R. has ever been an "attention seeker."

He is a grinder that has played at a high level for a long time.

As some are stating in the Steelers forum, he hasn't always been blessed with the best offensive line, and has paid the price, physically, on ocassion for that.

If you ask me, he's a damned fine football player, that following a few issues earlier in his career has pretty much kept quiet, and just continued to perform.

I just don't see the "attention seeker" there. (I don't read the Pittsburgh media very frequently, but I certainly haven't seen much "look at me" from him in the national media.

'14 1st Ballot Recipient of Joe Blackburn Award... '16 Adopt-a-Brown: Hue Jackson. The suffering continues. Repeat after me: "It takes time."
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You play professional football to make money. You retire when you've made enough money to live comfortably. You continue to play when you have to spend $18 million to retire.

Short answer is no.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketheadsdad wrote:
theJ wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
It's Ben.

I'm a 50+ year Browns fan, I can't stand the Steelers, but nonetheless, I respect the hell out of them.

I don't think that Ben R. has ever been an "attention seeker."

He is a grinder that has played at a high level for a long time.

As some are stating in the Steelers forum, he hasn't always been blessed with the best offensive line, and has paid the price, physically, on ocassion for that.

If you ask me, he's a damned fine football player, that following a few issues earlier in his career has pretty much kept quiet, and just continued to perform.

I just don't see the "attention seeker" there. (I don't read the Pittsburgh media very frequently, but I certainly haven't seen much "look at me" from him in the national media.

I respect the hell out of Ben as a player. For a long time, he has been the last QB I would want to face in a big game (and this year certainly didn't change that opinion Sad).

But, he's definitely an attention seeker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: