Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eddie Lacy - RB Position
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smetana34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Eddie Lacy - RB Position Reply with quote

I see a lot of people are wanting him back, and I'm not seeing why. The offense this year seemed to function better with Montgomery and Michael in the backfield, more so with Montgomery as he's obviously a great receiver out of the backfield in addition to being a very capable RB. His ability to hit a small hole and make a man miss is something Lacy is inferior at. Lacy also lacks any breakaway speed. Look at some of the long runs Montgomery and Michael had against Chicago. Lacy doesn't squeeze through those holes nor house them.

This draft class is loaded with RB talent. From the little I've read, there isn't many that excel in pass protection (something Montgomery struggles with) but there's plenty of running and receiving talent to be had. I understand Lacy should come cheap, but if you're asking me, it's time to let him go. His weight is always going to be an issue so there won't ever be a serious commitment made to him and he's never a threat for an explosive play. This team is lacking speed on both sides of the ball. Retaining Lacy doesn't help that problem.

So help me understand why so many would like him back. I'd rather use his money to retain someone like Hyde, apply it to Cook, or even retain Michael instead and draft a RB in the first 3 rounds to couple with Montgomery, or possibly bump him out of the role completely so he can go back to being a WR.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on Eddie .. they have to see some serious offseason dedication from him or it would be best to just say goodbye. I'd let him test the market, and see what kind of deal he can get. I don't think it's a big loss if he winds up elsewhere, but if the money is right I'd bring him back on an incentive laden deal.

We do need to draft a back in the middle rounds for sure .. need to develop a back of the future. As for Montgomery I think he's just a role player. I have my doubts whether he can take the punishment of regular carries. He was linping off to the sidelines with regularity and he hardly had what you would call a huge workload.

As for Christine Michael ... he's just not good enough. There's reason's why he's been cut several times and there's a good chance we will decide to move on from him as well.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We essentially had no room for error on offense. We had zero balance and relied on Aaron Rodgers playing out of his mind to go on the win streak. TyMon and his 7 carries a game is not a feature back. He needs to be a 3rd down back. Eddie is a good between the tackles runner who not only picks up what is blocked, but falls forward and can drag defenders to get an additional 1-2 yards.

I think losing Eddie showcased more how bad Mac had become then any reflection of Eddie. If your pass game and pace of play needs to suffer in order for you to have a balanced attack, you're not being a good play caller.

I hope Mac finds a way to utilize Eddie, or any other lead back, and still allow us to play fast and attack a defense. That offense in weeks 1-5 and all of last year looked so stale.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvin Kamara looks like he'd be an interesting player to add into the mix. Not sure RB is a round 1 need for our team, but I'm also not sure he lasts to our 2nd pick.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would offer Lacy a 1 year $2-3M deal.

Still need to draft a RB in a deep RB draft class. No reason to count on Lacy for a longer term deal given the past 2 seasons.
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is the downside of retaining Eddie Lacy?

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:

Exactly. I'm never for letting a young player go on a reasonable deal where we will just create a hole after he's gone. Eddie leaves we need to either sign or draft a RB. Sign Eddie to a reasonable deal, sign Michael to league min deal and bring back Burks and Crockett. Lacy, TyMon, Michael, Crockett, Burks, UDFA, totally fine going into camp with that.

If Lang leaves, you have Spriggs/Murphy, if Jones leaves you have Fackrell, we have nothing behind Eddie that is realistic to replace him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Exactly. I'm never for letting a young player go on a reasonable deal where we will just create a hole after he's gone. Eddie leaves we need to either sign or draft a RB. Sign Eddie to a reasonable deal, sign Michael to league min deal and bring back Burks and Crockett. Lacy, TyMon, Michael, Crockett, Burks, UDFA, totally fine going into camp with that.

Hell, you can still draft a guy like Kareem Hunt in the 4th round to compete. Worst case scenario, you carry 4 RBs or get rid of one of them.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:

First you need to tell me the terms of the contract before I can say if it has a down side or not
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
First you need to tell me the terms of the contract before I can say if it has a down side or not

We're talking about a short term deal (2/3 years) with minimal cost ($3M-$5M). The higher the cost, the less percentage of guarantee.

EDIT: I'd also ask what makes you think Eddie Lacy is going to get serious money based off the last two seasons.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
squire12 wrote:

We're talking about a short term deal (2/3 years) with minimal cost ($3M-$5M). The higher the cost, the less percentage of guarantee.

EDIT: I'd also ask what makes you think Eddie Lacy is going to get serious money based off the last two seasons.

As I stated above, I would offer 1 year at $2-3M. Need to take advantage of the deep RB draft class and get another RB.

As to the edit part of your post, I have no idea what other teams might be willing to offer Lacy. It only takes 1 and there is a lot of $$ waiting to be used
Chili

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Lacy is an absolutely key piece to our offence. He gives our offence balance and physicality and he's the only one who can carry the load. Letting him go without anyone in place to replace him is a silly move.

Lacy + Montgomery will compliment each other nicely.

Starks is gone imo. He has nothing left to offer. I'm not convinced by Michael and would rather draft a RB than stick with Michael tbh. When I watch him he's all franatic, one-paced and lacking game intelligence. Despite his quickness he's far too one dimensional for me. I would rather we devote our resources to developing a draft prospect instead of wasting time on Michael.

Last year when Eddie Lacy got fat and injured our offense suffered big time. We had no-one to step up when needed. We couldn't lean on the passing game with no Nelson or TE.

This year with Lacy injured, again we had no-one to replace him but this time we managed to get by because we had a proper TE, Nelson back, and Montgomery and Ripkowski compensating for the running game.

If the last two season is anything to go by we absolutely need to start creating depth at RB. We can't continue to repeat our mistakes by not having enough depth at RB. Drafting a RB is a priority behind CB and OLB. Ideally a guy who is quick and can carry the load eg a Bell, Johnson, Howard - those type of backs that we should be looking for in the draft.
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy if he can get to a good weight would be welcome back in my books. with that said I think MM still needs to learn to call a full game with a feature back. Having a balanced running game seems to have an effect on Arod who is a streaky thrower who needs to get in to a good groove early. Often MM goes heavy run and then subjects Arod to 3 and 10 or he goes heavy pass and neglects to get Lacy the carriers. Balanced seems to be the key. Lacy when healthy and slimmed down is a hell of a running considering our Oline is built for PP not RB.
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like Lacy is some 3 yards and a cloud of dust bruiser. He breaks decently big runs here and there and he's got incredible balance and good quickness. He's good at finding and getting through holes in the defense and pass blocking. If someone gives him a big deal yeah let him go but if he'll sign for a decent price then we need all the good players we can get.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy will be back on a one year, $3.5-4.5 million deal. His market is strongest in Green Bay, and he doesn't have the wear and tear that prohibits him from wisely investing in a prove-it deal in a familiar environment.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: