Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben considering retirement?!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles7 wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Ben's body has taken more punishment than most QBs. Those offensive lines in the post-Hartings/Faneca era should have been fined by OSHA.

He's probably just being a bit dramatic, though. Still, with the happenings going on with AB, and Ben saying this, I was just thinking that maybe the Steelers should go back to a run-heavy offense. They have the line for it. Draft another stud RB to compliment Bell (and be insurance, since face it, we need insurance with him), and let Ben go back to being a more balanced QB of game-managing and clock controlling. And of course, if we fall behind early or something, Ben can always go back to slinging depending on the context of the game(s). And if Ben actually were to retire, this would be an ideal way to break in a new QB.

You know who would hate this type of offense? Antonio Brown. So maybe you have to end up moving him this off season for two firsts, or a first and second, etc.. He's the most productive WR in the NFL over the past three years, his value has to be REALLY high right now. And the Steelers are rebuilding whether Ben retires or not, because that defense still needs talent injections.

I have to object with this for many reasons: A.) Getting rid of Ben's favorite target, highly decreases the likelihood of Ben returning, B.) Trading Antonio is not addition by subtraction....guys like him do not grow on trees and the thought of a WR core or Rogers & Hamilton coupled with a high unproven draft pick would scare any GM and would have many coming for Colbert head, and C.) I think "if we stay healthy and off drugs" that an offense tooled with Bell, Brown, Bryant, Green, Rogers, our OL, and Ben is the scariest the league has to offer.

That all being said, I think Ben is closer to retirement that some of us may have imagined but there's too much talent and potential to walk away from IMO.

I was just listening to Ben on the radio not defend AB in the slightest for having to "console" him after he didn't get his TD pass in the Pats game. While he did call him one of the best, said he looked forward to continue playing together, etc, I'm just saying. Ben's lost his number one WR plenty of times at this point in his career. He always makes another one.

We have a good offensive line. We have an outstanding RB. We don't have to air it out every game. Taking some of the pressure off of Ben late in his career might be exactly what he needs.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
waffles7 wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Ben's body has taken more punishment than most QBs. Those offensive lines in the post-Hartings/Faneca era should have been fined by OSHA.

He's probably just being a bit dramatic, though. Still, with the happenings going on with AB, and Ben saying this, I was just thinking that maybe the Steelers should go back to a run-heavy offense. They have the line for it. Draft another stud RB to compliment Bell (and be insurance, since face it, we need insurance with him), and let Ben go back to being a more balanced QB of game-managing and clock controlling. And of course, if we fall behind early or something, Ben can always go back to slinging depending on the context of the game(s). And if Ben actually were to retire, this would be an ideal way to break in a new QB.

You know who would hate this type of offense? Antonio Brown. So maybe you have to end up moving him this off season for two firsts, or a first and second, etc.. He's the most productive WR in the NFL over the past three years, his value has to be REALLY high right now. And the Steelers are rebuilding whether Ben retires or not, because that defense still needs talent injections.

I have to object with this for many reasons: A.) Getting rid of Ben's favorite target, highly decreases the likelihood of Ben returning, B.) Trading Antonio is not addition by subtraction....guys like him do not grow on trees and the thought of a WR core or Rogers & Hamilton coupled with a high unproven draft pick would scare any GM and would have many coming for Colbert head, and C.) I think "if we stay healthy and off drugs" that an offense tooled with Bell, Brown, Bryant, Green, Rogers, our OL, and Ben is the scariest the league has to offer.

That all being said, I think Ben is closer to retirement that some of us may have imagined but there's too much talent and potential to walk away from IMO.

I was just listening to Ben on the radio not defend AB in the slightest for having to "console" him after he didn't get his TD pass in the Pats game. While he did call him one of the best, said he looked forward to continue playing together, etc, I'm just saying. Ben's lost his number one WR plenty of times at this point in his career. He always makes another one.

We have a good offensive line. We have an outstanding RB. We don't have to air it out every game. Taking some of the pressure off of Ben late in his career might be exactly what he needs.
you know what helps take pressure off? Playing with the best wr in football. People HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE and neither is Bell
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Ben reassures he doesn't plan on retiring the next few seasons, you can't wait on a qb. If you think it really could be 2-3 years, then you might want to drat one early. I don't Jones as a franchise qb, and Ben usually misses a game, could be good to get the new guy some snaps.

Go the Patriots route lIke drafting Jimmy G in the 2nd.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Doyle Rules wrote:
Unless Ben reassures he doesn't plan on retiring the next few seasons, you can't wait on a qb. If you think it really could be 2-3 years, then you might want to drat one early. I don't Jones as a franchise qb, and Ben usually misses a game, could be good to get the new guy some snaps.

laughable if you think we'd burn a 2nd on a qb this year
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
waffles7 wrote:
The Curtain wrote:

you know what helps take pressure off? Playing with the best wr in football. People HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE and neither is Bell

A) He's not the best WR in football. And B) It's not exactly less pressure when you know you have to force 10-15 balls his way every game or he's going to pout.

I love AB's production and skill, so don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for a trade. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be the end of the world as some of you think. People tend to value WR too highly. Ben's lost number one WRs his whole career and lived to tell about it. And it could be beneficial to this team in the long run, if we draft some defensive studs out of it. Unless you think this core is going to win a SB. Spoiler: They're not. They were immensely lucky this post season that all they had to do was beat Matt Moore and Alex Smith, which they barely did.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Steelers2014 wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
waffles7 wrote:
The Curtain wrote:

A) He's not the best WR in football. And B) It's not exactly less pressure when you know you have to force 10-15 balls his way every game or he's going to pout.

I love AB's production and skill, so don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for a trade. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be the end of the world as some of you think. People tend to value WR too highly. Ben's lost number one WRs his whole career and lived to tell about it. And it could be beneficial to this team in the long run, if we draft some defensive studs out of it. Unless you think this core is going to win a SB. Spoiler: They're not. They were immensely lucky this post season that all they had to do was beat Matt Moore and Alex Smith, which they barely did.
Wrong he is the best in the league. Has ten more tds than Julio since they've both been in the league. I see you get caught up in recent trends rather than whole production. Also when has he pouted? Oh and yeah why wouldn't you wanna get the ball in your teams best playmakers hands as much as possible? Brown isn't going anywhere. Can you hear me now?
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
O'Doyle Rules wrote:

I didn't say 2nd, you could go with a 3rd and see how he does. Or wait till next year and go with a 2nd. Ben isn't exactly young.
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
O'Doyle Rules wrote:

Considering we're at a tipping point where Ben's just finished his 13th year and is considering retirement after each season....we should.

Crap - even though I don't love them, if the plan was to fall back, pick up extra picks, and since EDGE and CB are deep took Kizer or Watson in the early second I would be down for it.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Steelers2014 wrote:
O'Doyle Rules wrote:

Considering we're at a tipping point where Ben's just finished his 13th year and is considering retirement after each season....we should.

Crap - even though I don't love them, if the plan was to fall back, pick up extra picks, and since EDGE and CB are deep took Kizer or Watson in the early second I would be down for it.
Watson is a first round lock. Possible first overall pick
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasting early rd picks on a QB of the future would be foolish...continue using resources on improving the team around the currently very good-elite qb you already have in the last 3~ years he has.
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait and see, but if he does retire, do we sign Glennon UFA and then draft as well? I can't blame him since he is married and has kids, much more important than playing a game that can cause injuries etc
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ben-Roethlisberger-excited-for-the-future-with-Antonio-Brown-50817215
C$!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how worked up people got over this. He didnt say anything shocking he said he would reflect on it this off season. He's 35, his playing career is winding down, I think just about ever player at Ben's age does this.
Even if he is seriously considering it I dont think QB is a must this year, because the draft is very thin at the position, its not the year for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben's not leaving, next season he will have the best offense he has every played on and the best defense he has played on in 5+ years. He has 1, maybe 2 more seasons with a great shot at winning the SB. If the team loses AB or Bell or fudges the draft or something I could see him leaving after the 17 season but not this year.

I DO think we should get rid of Haley this offseason though as his play calling holds back the offense.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Colon just said in an interview that Ben was serious about contemplating retirement. Citing the fact that he's had so many injuries.

We better hope he has an injury-free year this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/16/willie-colon-says-ben-roethlisberger-seriously-considered-retiring/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: