You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben considering retirement?!?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Ben considering retirement?!? Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/823934976584515584

Quote:
Ian Rapoport
‏@RapSheet

#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger says on @937thefan that he's not ready to commit to playing in 2017. Will consider his options then decide.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this what we were sensing about Ben not being quite right. This is not good. Even if he does play next year, which he probably will, this is most likely signaling a 2-3 year window rather than 4-5. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way I think he is going to retire after this season. I will say this should send a signal to the organization, coaching staff that they should start looking for a successor. I agree with the comment this probably says 2-3 years left rather than 4-5 years. If he does... MAHOMES! MAHOMES! MAHOMES!

🐝🐝🐝 TRIPLE BEES 🐝🐝🐝
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is running high on emotion after losing in the championship. Who wouldn't be? This is Ben simply telling the coaching staff and front office to get [things] in order because he's sick of the recent [stuff] in the media. Other than that EVERYBODY FREAK OUT its the offseason

: MOD EDIT:
Language man. If you preview your post and You see [inappropriate/removed] come up; You should know it's not good.

-sc29
JLambert58

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComebackKid wrote:
No way I think he is going to retire after this season. I will say this should send a signal to the organization, coaching staff that they should start looking for a successor. I agree with the comment this probably says 2-3 years left rather than 4-5 years. If he does... MAHOMES! MAHOMES! MAHOMES!

Absolutely time to draft his successor. QB just jumped up on our list of draft needs. Round 2?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
ComebackKid wrote:

Absolutely time to draft his successor. QB just jumped up on our list of draft needs. Round 2?
so his successor is going to come from the 4th at earliest or later rounds this year? We're not wasting a top pick on a qb. We're in win now mode. You don't think the Rooney's will know how much longer Ben plans on playing? Ben wiill play another 3-4 years minimum. He wants another SB and want's to get another one for the Rooney's who he loves
mwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drama. It's unfortunate, but there's a lot of things I don't like to hear coming out of Pittsburgh after the loss.

- the true / false articles suggesting the Steelers are sick of Antonio's me first attitude

- Dupree and others suggesting the Steelers were surprised at how the Pats attacked them (As sad as this is, I think it could be true). Tomlin countering with 'liking' our game plan, but 'not liking' our execution.

- Now this from Ben.

It's just drama, and it doesn't play well to me. This team needs to show some character. As much as I do like Tomlin, this kind of stuff doesn't speak well to his leadership. I'm not saying fire him, or he can't lead us, but this stuff needs to get cleaned up right quick. It's not the kind of waves a championship team creates.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
ComebackKid wrote:

so his successor is going to come from the 4th at earliest or later rounds this year? We're not wasting a top pick on a qb. We're in win now mode. You don't think the Rooney's will know how much longer Ben plans on playing? Ben wiill play another 3-4 years minimum. He wants another SB and want's to get another one for the Rooney's who he loves

Yeah well "Win Now" mode comes to a grinding halt if Ben retires a year from now. This is now a major need. It's the perfect situation because we need a reliable, dare I say "Good" backup to play when, not if, Ben goes down with injury. A high QB pick is part of the Win Now program as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that Ben wants to win another title for himself, his teammates, the city of Pittsburgh/Steeler Nation and the Rooneys. But having made comments like this, he's considering all aspects of his life, not just those: The near-term and long-term health effects and risks to his body and mind and his growing family's needs above and beyond football. He's got plenty of money, 2 SB rings and legacy that will put him in the HOF. At some point he's going to say enough is enough and that day may loom closer than any of us want to believe.

Last edited by JLambert58 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:
Drama. It's unfortunate, but there's a lot of things I don't like to hear coming out of Pittsburgh after the loss.

- the true / false articles suggesting the Steelers are sick of Antonio's me first attitude

- Dupree and others suggesting the Steelers were surprised at how the Pats attacked them (As sad as this is, I think it could be true). Tomlin countering with 'liking' our game plan, but 'not liking' our execution.

- Now this from Ben.

It's just drama, and it doesn't play well to me. This team needs to show some character. As much as I do like Tomlin, this kind of stuff doesn't speak well to his leadership. I'm not saying fire him, or he can't lead us, but this stuff needs to get cleaned up right quick. It's not the kind of waves a championship team creates.

That's how I feel too. Tomlin has said Roethlisberger has told him this before.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been telling people all year that I think Ben only plays 2, maybe 3 more years. He doesn't strike me as the type of QB that is gonna play into his 40's. His style of play over the years has taken a toll on his body, and it shows. He's made his money, got 2 rings, and is likely a 1st ballot HOFer. However I think with the talent they have, he knows he has one more super bowl left in him. So with that said I'd be really surprised if he retires this offseason. Next year however could be a different story, depending on how the year unfolds. I'd really like to see him go out on top like Manning did, and like Bettis did.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben's body has taken more punishment than most QBs. Those offensive lines in the post-Hartings/Faneca era should have been fined by OSHA.

He's probably just being a bit dramatic, though. Still, with the happenings going on with AB, and Ben saying this, I was just thinking that maybe the Steelers should go back to a run-heavy offense. They have the line for it. Draft another stud RB to compliment Bell (and be insurance, since face it, we need insurance with him), and let Ben go back to being a more balanced QB of game-managing and clock controlling. And of course, if we fall behind early or something, Ben can always go back to slinging depending on the context of the game(s). And if Ben actually were to retire, this would be an ideal way to break in a new QB.

You know who would hate this type of offense? Antonio Brown. So maybe you have to end up moving him this off season for two firsts, or a first and second, etc.. He's the most productive WR in the NFL over the past three years, his value has to be REALLY high right now. And the Steelers are rebuilding whether Ben retires or not, because that defense still needs talent injections.
jcm412

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he has a serious health issue, I don't think he would be that dumb to retire. If he retires now he will owe the Steelers a significant amount of signing bonus back.
waffles7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Ben's body has taken more punishment than most QBs. Those offensive lines in the post-Hartings/Faneca era should have been fined by OSHA.

He's probably just being a bit dramatic, though. Still, with the happenings going on with AB, and Ben saying this, I was just thinking that maybe the Steelers should go back to a run-heavy offense. They have the line for it. Draft another stud RB to compliment Bell (and be insurance, since face it, we need insurance with him), and let Ben go back to being a more balanced QB of game-managing and clock controlling. And of course, if we fall behind early or something, Ben can always go back to slinging depending on the context of the game(s). And if Ben actually were to retire, this would be an ideal way to break in a new QB.

You know who would hate this type of offense? Antonio Brown. So maybe you have to end up moving him this off season for two firsts, or a first and second, etc.. He's the most productive WR in the NFL over the past three years, his value has to be REALLY high right now. And the Steelers are rebuilding whether Ben retires or not, because that defense still needs talent injections.

I have to object with this for many reasons: A.) Getting rid of Ben's favorite target, highly decreases the likelihood of Ben returning, B.) Trading Antonio is not addition by subtraction....guys like him do not grow on trees and the thought of a WR core or Rogers & Hamilton coupled with a high unproven draft pick would scare any GM and would have many coming for Colbert head, and C.) I think "if we stay healthy and off drugs" that an offense tooled with Bell, Brown, Bryant, Green, Rogers, our OL, and Ben is the scariest the league has to offer.

That all being said, I think Ben is closer to retirement that some of us may have imagined but there's too much talent and potential to walk away from IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bens not retiring...he's pissed off and emotional people say stupid stuff.

Now maybe at MOST...it's a shot towards the FO insaying I need more help or something to that effect.

Calm down people.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Bens not retiring...he's pissed off and emotional people say stupid stuff.

Now maybe at MOST...it's a shot towards the FO insaying I need more help or something to that effect.

Calm down people.
somebody is on the same page at least

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: