You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben considering retirement?!?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
warfelg


Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 3564
Location: Richmond Va
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Ben considering retirement?!? Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/823934976584515584

Quote:
Ian Rapoport
‏@RapSheet

#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger says on @937thefan that he's not ready to commit to playing in 2017. Will consider his options then decide.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2031
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this what we were sensing about Ben not being quite right. This is not good. Even if he does play next year, which he probably will, this is most likely signaling a 2-3 year window rather than 4-5. Shocked
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComebackKid


Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 2024
Location: Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way I think he is going to retire after this season. I will say this should send a signal to the organization, coaching staff that they should start looking for a successor. I agree with the comment this probably says 2-3 years left rather than 4-5 years. If he does... MAHOMES! MAHOMES! MAHOMES!
_________________

🐝🐝🐝 TRIPLE BEES 🐝🐝🐝
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelers2014


Joined: 26 Mar 2014
Posts: 546
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is running high on emotion after losing in the championship. Who wouldn't be? This is Ben simply telling the coaching staff and front office to get [things] in order because he's sick of the recent [stuff] in the media. Other than that EVERYBODY FREAK OUT its the offseason

: MOD EDIT:
Language man. If you preview your post and You see [inappropriate/removed] come up; You should know it's not good.

-sc29
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2031
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComebackKid wrote:
No way I think he is going to retire after this season. I will say this should send a signal to the organization, coaching staff that they should start looking for a successor. I agree with the comment this probably says 2-3 years left rather than 4-5 years. If he does... MAHOMES! MAHOMES! MAHOMES!


Absolutely time to draft his successor. QB just jumped up on our list of draft needs. Round 2?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelers2014


Joined: 26 Mar 2014
Posts: 546
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
ComebackKid wrote:
No way I think he is going to retire after this season. I will say this should send a signal to the organization, coaching staff that they should start looking for a successor. I agree with the comment this probably says 2-3 years left rather than 4-5 years. If he does... MAHOMES! MAHOMES! MAHOMES!


Absolutely time to draft his successor. QB just jumped up on our list of draft needs. Round 2?
so his successor is going to come from the 4th at earliest or later rounds this year? We're not wasting a top pick on a qb. We're in win now mode. You don't think the Rooney's will know how much longer Ben plans on playing? Ben wiill play another 3-4 years minimum. He wants another SB and want's to get another one for the Rooney's who he loves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mwalker


Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Posts: 675
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drama. It's unfortunate, but there's a lot of things I don't like to hear coming out of Pittsburgh after the loss.

- the true / false articles suggesting the Steelers are sick of Antonio's me first attitude

- Dupree and others suggesting the Steelers were surprised at how the Pats attacked them (As sad as this is, I think it could be true). Tomlin countering with 'liking' our game plan, but 'not liking' our execution.

- Now this from Ben.

It's just drama, and it doesn't play well to me. This team needs to show some character. As much as I do like Tomlin, this kind of stuff doesn't speak well to his leadership. I'm not saying fire him, or he can't lead us, but this stuff needs to get cleaned up right quick. It's not the kind of waves a championship team creates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2031
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
ComebackKid wrote:
No way I think he is going to retire after this season. I will say this should send a signal to the organization, coaching staff that they should start looking for a successor. I agree with the comment this probably says 2-3 years left rather than 4-5 years. If he does... MAHOMES! MAHOMES! MAHOMES!


Absolutely time to draft his successor. QB just jumped up on our list of draft needs. Round 2?
so his successor is going to come from the 4th at earliest or later rounds this year? We're not wasting a top pick on a qb. We're in win now mode. You don't think the Rooney's will know how much longer Ben plans on playing? Ben wiill play another 3-4 years minimum. He wants another SB and want's to get another one for the Rooney's who he loves


Yeah well "Win Now" mode comes to a grinding halt if Ben retires a year from now. This is now a major need. It's the perfect situation because we need a reliable, dare I say "Good" backup to play when, not if, Ben goes down with injury. A high QB pick is part of the Win Now program as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that Ben wants to win another title for himself, his teammates, the city of Pittsburgh/Steeler Nation and the Rooneys. But having made comments like this, he's considering all aspects of his life, not just those: The near-term and long-term health effects and risks to his body and mind and his growing family's needs above and beyond football. He's got plenty of money, 2 SB rings and legacy that will put him in the HOF. At some point he's going to say enough is enough and that day may loom closer than any of us want to believe.
_________________


Last edited by JLambert58 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 11392
Location: BACK 2 BACK!!, PA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:
Drama. It's unfortunate, but there's a lot of things I don't like to hear coming out of Pittsburgh after the loss.

- the true / false articles suggesting the Steelers are sick of Antonio's me first attitude

- Dupree and others suggesting the Steelers were surprised at how the Pats attacked them (As sad as this is, I think it could be true). Tomlin countering with 'liking' our game plan, but 'not liking' our execution.

- Now this from Ben.

It's just drama, and it doesn't play well to me. This team needs to show some character. As much as I do like Tomlin, this kind of stuff doesn't speak well to his leadership. I'm not saying fire him, or he can't lead us, but this stuff needs to get cleaned up right quick. It's not the kind of waves a championship team creates.


That's how I feel too. Tomlin has said Roethlisberger has told him this before.
_________________


Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KJtheWicked


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1909
Location: Norrisville, Pa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been telling people all year that I think Ben only plays 2, maybe 3 more years. He doesn't strike me as the type of QB that is gonna play into his 40's. His style of play over the years has taken a toll on his body, and it shows. He's made his money, got 2 rings, and is likely a 1st ballot HOFer. However I think with the talent they have, he knows he has one more super bowl left in him. So with that said I'd be really surprised if he retires this offseason. Next year however could be a different story, depending on how the year unfolds. I'd really like to see him go out on top like Manning did, and like Bettis did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Curtain


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 765
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben's body has taken more punishment than most QBs. Those offensive lines in the post-Hartings/Faneca era should have been fined by OSHA.

He's probably just being a bit dramatic, though. Still, with the happenings going on with AB, and Ben saying this, I was just thinking that maybe the Steelers should go back to a run-heavy offense. They have the line for it. Draft another stud RB to compliment Bell (and be insurance, since face it, we need insurance with him), and let Ben go back to being a more balanced QB of game-managing and clock controlling. And of course, if we fall behind early or something, Ben can always go back to slinging depending on the context of the game(s). And if Ben actually were to retire, this would be an ideal way to break in a new QB.

You know who would hate this type of offense? Antonio Brown. So maybe you have to end up moving him this off season for two firsts, or a first and second, etc.. He's the most productive WR in the NFL over the past three years, his value has to be REALLY high right now. And the Steelers are rebuilding whether Ben retires or not, because that defense still needs talent injections.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jcm412


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 3874
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he has a serious health issue, I don't think he would be that dumb to retire. If he retires now he will owe the Steelers a significant amount of signing bonus back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
waffles7


Joined: 18 Feb 2010
Posts: 4919
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Ben's body has taken more punishment than most QBs. Those offensive lines in the post-Hartings/Faneca era should have been fined by OSHA.

He's probably just being a bit dramatic, though. Still, with the happenings going on with AB, and Ben saying this, I was just thinking that maybe the Steelers should go back to a run-heavy offense. They have the line for it. Draft another stud RB to compliment Bell (and be insurance, since face it, we need insurance with him), and let Ben go back to being a more balanced QB of game-managing and clock controlling. And of course, if we fall behind early or something, Ben can always go back to slinging depending on the context of the game(s). And if Ben actually were to retire, this would be an ideal way to break in a new QB.

You know who would hate this type of offense? Antonio Brown. So maybe you have to end up moving him this off season for two firsts, or a first and second, etc.. He's the most productive WR in the NFL over the past three years, his value has to be REALLY high right now. And the Steelers are rebuilding whether Ben retires or not, because that defense still needs talent injections.


I have to object with this for many reasons: A.) Getting rid of Ben's favorite target, highly decreases the likelihood of Ben returning, B.) Trading Antonio is not addition by subtraction....guys like him do not grow on trees and the thought of a WR core or Rogers & Hamilton coupled with a high unproven draft pick would scare any GM and would have many coming for Colbert head, and C.) I think "if we stay healthy and off drugs" that an offense tooled with Bell, Brown, Bryant, Green, Rogers, our OL, and Ben is the scariest the league has to offer.


That all being said, I think Ben is closer to retirement that some of us may have imagined but there's too much talent and potential to walk away from IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlanFanecaFan


Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 11530
Location: Keeping bad people where they belong
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bens not retiring...he's pissed off and emotional people say stupid stuff.

Now maybe at MOST...it's a shot towards the FO insaying I need more help or something to that effect.

Calm down people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelers2014


Joined: 26 Mar 2014
Posts: 546
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Bens not retiring...he's pissed off and emotional people say stupid stuff.

Now maybe at MOST...it's a shot towards the FO insaying I need more help or something to that effect.

Calm down people.
somebody is on the same page at least
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group