Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Pagano joining Raiders staff as Asst. Head Coach D.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stay away from Teo with the injury he already was a limited athlete imo

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats not to like about this move, We bring in an experienced coordinator who will help that side of the ball.

Happy to see that we aren't just sitting on our hands, and are out attacking our weaknesses.
OakleyRaider24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this move. Hope he can teach KNJ to be creative in play calling, better game plans, getting guys in position to excel and disguise things rather than line up, rush 4, drop 7 and still get beat deep. I think if we have a mid season bye week and we're still 20-30th in defense Norton is shown the door and the keys are tossed to Pagano.
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could the Raiders be transitioning to more of base 3-4 defense Del Rio and Pagano history. I don't think we have the athletes to be Seattle....
OakleyRaider24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC4_Life wrote:
could the Raiders be transitioning to more of base 3-4 defense Del Rio and Pagano history. I don't think we have the athletes to be Seattle....

You're 100% right, we don't have the guys to be Seattle. I personally hate our scheme. Yes it works like Bruce Irvin said but nobody can duplicate it. Earl Thomas & Bobby Wagners don't grow on trees not to mention Kam is a extremely unique freak of a safety and Michael Bennett is probably the best edge setter/inside nickel rusher in the game!
G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this move and he was a name I liked if we fired KNJ. I also like keeping KNJ. Yes there are a lot of D people on the staff, but why fire KNJ if were paying him either way? He brings passion and connection to the table.
As long as they all get along I'm all for it. If KNJ's contract expires next season it also gets his replacement here before another team gets him. If something happens to Del Rio we've got a guy who can cover for a few games. Also helps Del Rio focus on other aspects as I expect he worked a lot with KNJ. Now that's JP's job and our inexperienced O cord can get more attention and we will have STABILITY in coaching for a while. Dowling will be here for at least 2-3 seasons before getting HC position. JP seems happy as a D cord and if Defense works great maybe KNJ gets HC opps...
Have to like the signing and retaining of KNJ. KNJ lacked the experience and got it with us. Now it's put up or NEXT!!! No excuses, well one...We are notheing without Carr, NOTHING!!! Thank you TICE!!!
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC4_Life wrote:

Del Rio history? I know Pagano is a 3-4 coach but JDR has always been a 4-3 guy. Seems strange that he would go away from his preferred scheme but who knows. For what it's worth, I would rather see Mack and Aldon at OLB in a 3-4 so I'd be all for it. I think we'd get more out of them there than at DE.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between our scheme and a 3-4 isn't much. We've played Mack and Irvin on the edges at the line all year long in our base. Mack on the weakside, Irvin on the strongside. Irvin is already labeled a LB but whatever you want to call Mack, his assignments aren't far off from what they would be as a 3-4 OLB.
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
DC4_Life wrote:

Del Rio history? I know Pagano is a 3-4 coach but JDR has always been a 4-3 guy. Seems strange that he would go away from his preferred scheme but who knows. For what it's worth, I would rather see Mack and Aldon at OLB in a 3-4 so I'd be all for it. I think we'd get more out of them there than at DE.

There is not that clear difference anymore between 3-4 and 4-3.

The 4-3 under scheme use by the Seahawks is pretty similar to a 3-4 D and overall our Defense is already a hybrid 3-4\4-3 D.

We use 3 bigger DL players like the 3-4 teams.
We use a DE, a NT and a DT on paper, but basically that is the same as a LDE-NT-RDE in a 3-4.
We ask our interior DL's to 2gap in base, so this is pretty much the same as a 2gap 3-4 base DL.
The difference on paper is that we put Mack in as a DE in the depth chart, not as an OLB, but if you watch closely he is in a stand up position a lot especially in the base early on.

As a Base we use Mack and Irvin as OLB's with the interior DL (3guys) down in the dirt with two off ball LB's behind them.
This is basically a 5-2 front 7, but you can call it 3-4 if you want. If Mack puts his hand on the ground you can call it a 4-3 under front. Makes no real difference.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
DC4_Life wrote:

There is not that clear difference anymore between 3-4 and 4-3.

The 4-3 under scheme use by the Seahawks is pretty similar to a 3-4 D and overall our Defense is already a hybrid 3-4\4-3 D.

We use 3 bigger DL players like the 3-4 teams.
We use a DE, a NT and a DT on paper, but basically that is the same as a LDE-NT-RDE in a 3-4.
We ask our interior DL's to 2gap in base, so this is pretty much the same as a 2gap 3-4 base DL.
The difference on paper is that we put Mack in as a DE in the depth chart, not as an OLB, but if you watch closely he is in a stand up position a lot especially in the base early on.

As a Base we use Mack and Irvin as OLB's with the interior DL (3guys) down in the dirt with two off ball LB's behind them.
This is basically a 5-2 front 7, but you can call it 3-4 if you want. If Mack puts his hand on the ground you can call it a 4-3 under front. Makes no real difference.

I don't think Zoom was around for or maybe just doesn't remember the pages and pages and pages and pages of 3-4 and 4-3 back and forth we had last year. We all came to the conclusion that we can't really call our defense one or the other since it looks like both and changes from snap to snap and start to start.

~This is the year of "win close". Next year is "win big".
~IMO Reggie has a plan for how much he can spend. The 2-4 FA who sign may surprise us but they will make sense once we draft.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we will finally have some run D.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

Weren't far off last year.

~IMO Reggie has a plan for how much he can spend. The 2-4 FA who sign may surprise us but they will make sense once we draft.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

I think the run defense had to do with losing MEJ and regression from our nose tackles. MEJ being back should help a lot and not having Malcolm Smith back will also help IMO.

Should be a very good run defense next year. The pass defense... well that remains to be seen.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

I think the run defense had to do with losing MEJ and regression from our nose tackles. MEJ being back should help a lot and not having Malcolm Smith back will also help IMO.

Should be a very good run defense next year. The pass defense... well that remains to be seen.

That scenario only works if we upgrade Smith and the NTs step it up to 2015 levels. Mario alone isn't enough tho he'll really help.

TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the run D was more than just Edwards and the NT. Although I do agree that Williams an Ellis way under performed and were probably the biggest factors on smaller runs. While at times it seemed ok we just gave up way to many yards per carry and big runs. It just wasnt as noticeable since teams often had to shootout with Carr in the passing game. The one area we did well was causing Fumbles, Irvin really helped there and seems like a big mantra for existing defense to take the ball away. Outside of FF the run D was much better in 2015 than 2016 and it wasnt what I would call great in 2015 either. I mean really the pass D should just automatically look better if we improve our run D. Teams knew they can run or pass and imo it is easier to fix the run D first. Doesnt take away from team needs but guys need to be in the right places and well tackle.

Total: 1881, 10th worst
YPG: 117.6, 10th worst
YPC: 4.5, tied for 6th worst
20+: 10 plays, tied for 13th worst
40+: 5 plays tied for 2nd worst
TD's: 18, tied for 6th worst.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: