Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Pagano joining Raiders staff as Asst. Head Coach D.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CaliforniaKid7


Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 9360
Location: California
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: John Pagano joining Raiders staff as Asst. Head Coach D. Reply with quote

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/01/23/chargers-john-pagano-is-leaving-for-oakland-raiders/

Quote:
SAN DIEGO – Defensive coordinator John Pagano is leaving the Chargers organization to work for the Oakland Raiders, a source told FOX 5 Monday.



Not too sure what to make of it yet, but if it helps the defense in any way I am all for it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RaidersAreOne


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 16785
Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Raiders-Name-John-Pagano-Assistant-Head-Coach---Defense/c4f0dc49-4571-4546-9b38-01355951e3df?sf52449439=1&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Quote:
John Pagano has been named Assistant Head Coach – Defense of the Oakland Raiders, the club announced Monday. Pagano will be entering his 22nd season as an NFL coach, having spent the previous 15 years with the San Diego Chargers, including the last five as defensive coordinator. Pagano and Head Coach Jack Del Rio previously worked together in 1997 with the New Orleans Saints.

From 2012-16, Pagano served as the Chargers’ defensive coordinator, helping the team to an appearance in the Divisional Round in 2013. Over those five seasons, Pagano’s defense ranked 13th in the NFL in total net yards per game allowed (348.1). Last season, the Chargers’ defense tied for the NFL lead with 18 interceptions – led by Pro Bowl CB Casey Hayward’s seven – despite finishing the year with 11 defensive players on the Reserve/Injured List. Pagano also mentored rookie first-round pick DE Joey Bosa, who was named to the Pro Football Writers of America’s All-Rookie Team.

In 2014, the Chargers ranked ninth in the NFL in total defense and fourth in pass defense, marking the second time in Pagano’s first three years as defensive coordinator that the team ranked in the top 10 in total defense. The defense also posted one shutout on the year and held three different opponents to 10 points or less.

In the team’s run to the Divisional Round in 2013, the Chargers recorded 16 takeaways in their last eight games (two playoff games included) and won four of their final five regular season contests to earn a playoff berth. In December, the Chargers surrendered just 315.8 yards per game (sixth in the NFL) and 17.6 points per game (third in the NFL).

In Pagano’s first season as defensive coordinator in 2012, his defensive unit ranked ninth in total defense and sixth in run defense. The team recorded 38 sacks on the year and scored seven defensive touchdowns, second most in the NFL.

Pagano originally joined the Chargers in 2002 as the team’s quality control coach for the defense before moving up the ranks. He began as an assistant linebackers coach before moving to outside linebackers and then ultimately to linebackers coach before becoming the team’s defensive coordinator in 2012. In 2010, the Chargers had the NFL’s number one ranked defense (271.6 yards per game) and the unit was tied for second in the league in sacks (47).

Pagano worked with the team’s linebackers from 2005-11, helping tutor three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman, the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005 and the NFL’s sack leader in 2006.

_________________

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaliforniaKid7


Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 9360
Location: California
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never would have thought the Chargers defenses' of the last few years were ranked that highly. Probably because they lost so many close games on stupid ST mistakes or whatnot.

But woah, I mean obviously looking at the stats alone he put together an above average defense consistently with less talent than we have and what seemed like bad luck with injuries every single year.

I hope he is allowed to be hands on and improve this defense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 25663
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: John Pagano joining Raiders staff as Asst. Head Coach D. Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/01/23/chargers-john-pagano-is-leaving-for-oakland-raiders/

Quote:
SAN DIEGO – Defensive coordinator John Pagano is leaving the Chargers organization to work for the Oakland Raiders, a source told FOX 5 Monday.



Not too sure what to make of it yet, but if it helps the defense in any way I am all for it.


KNJ insurance.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3066
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: John Pagano joining Raiders staff as Asst. Head Coach D. Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/01/23/chargers-john-pagano-is-leaving-for-oakland-raiders/

Quote:
SAN DIEGO – Defensive coordinator John Pagano is leaving the Chargers organization to work for the Oakland Raiders, a source told FOX 5 Monday.



Not too sure what to make of it yet, but if it helps the defense in any way I am all for it.


KNJ insurance.


More like helping KNJ develop the defense. No insurance needed.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Raider


Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 1813
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ard not to like the move. He has a ton of experience, and iis overqualified for an assistant type role. And it's easy to see what this is, an on staff replacement for KNJ is the defense doesn't progress next season. And I like the idea. We need as many guys as we can to coach up that side of the ball and he's been around a long time. Norton knows get this thing on track or we have the guy in the bulding to tske your job as soon as it's needed. Solid move IMO.
_________________

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 25663
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Raider wrote:
Ard not to like the move. He has a ton of experience, and iis overqualified for an assistant type role. And it's easy to see what this is, an on staff replacement for KNJ is the defense doesn't progress next season. And I like the idea. We need as many guys as we can to coach up that side of the ball and he's been around a long time. Norton knows get this thing on track or we have the guy in the bulding to tske your job as soon as it's needed. Solid move IMO.


Exactly. Love this move. Adds his input and if KNJ can't pull it together, you have an option.

This team is a competitive defense away from a Championship. Moves like are exciting to see. They know what needs to happen.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3066
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Mr Raider wrote:
Ard not to like the move. He has a ton of experience, and iis overqualified for an assistant type role. And it's easy to see what this is, an on staff replacement for KNJ is the defense doesn't progress next season. And I like the idea. We need as many guys as we can to coach up that side of the ball and he's been around a long time. Norton knows get this thing on track or we have the guy in the bulding to tske your job as soon as it's needed. Solid move IMO.


Exactly. Love this move. Adds his input and if KNJ can't pull it together, you have an option.

This team is a competitive defense away from a Championship. Moves like are exciting to see. They know what needs to happen.


If the defense can't pull it together this year it will be partly Pagano fault as well, He could be a scapegoat aswell.

Also as a Asst HC he is in the position to take over for JDR if need be. Not because of a firing or whatnot but because of JDR having to be away for a game or two. I think Musgrave was the asst HC til he wasn't resigned.

Move makes sense. He will help build this defense with KNJ.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 12482
Location: Lehigh Valley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things,

1. He held a DC position in the NFL for 5 years, that's impressive.

2. I read a tweet from a guy that used to cover San Diego that he's great at dialing up pressure, which is exactly what we need.

Nothing not to like about this hire. Will only help Norton, the defense and the team. I could see him being more the defensive coordinator with Norton basically a hype man
_________________
R A I D E R S | 7 6 E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3066
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Two things,

1. He held a DC position in the NFL for 5 years, that's impressive.

2. I read a tweet from a guy that used to cover San Diego that he's great at dialing up pressure, which is exactly what we need.

Nothing not to like about this hire. I could see him being more the defensive coordinator with Norton basically a hype man


If that was gonna be the case why not just replace KNJ. Not buying it. They will meld their styles and and experience to make this defense better.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidr4life


Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 8682
Location: Fresno, California
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: John Pagano joining Raiders staff as Asst. Head Coach D. Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/01/23/chargers-john-pagano-is-leaving-for-oakland-raiders/

Quote:
SAN DIEGO – Defensive coordinator John Pagano is leaving the Chargers organization to work for the Oakland Raiders, a source told FOX 5 Monday.



Not too sure what to make of it yet, but if it helps the defense in any way I am all for it.


KNJ insurance.
Love it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 12482
Location: Lehigh Valley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Two things,

1. He held a DC position in the NFL for 5 years, that's impressive.

2. I read a tweet from a guy that used to cover San Diego that he's great at dialing up pressure, which is exactly what we need.

Nothing not to like about this hire. I could see him being more the defensive coordinator with Norton basically a hype man


If that was gonna be the case why not just replace KNJ. Not buying it. They will meld their styles and and experience to make this defense better.


You're probably right
_________________
R A I D E R S | 7 6 E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nodisrespect


Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 5938
Location: in the present
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has great experience and he can run defenses other than cover 3 so this is a win for us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this hire. We needed another defensive coach and hopefully he can have an impact on the defense and KNJ can pick his brain and learn from him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Raider


Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 1813
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Mr Raider wrote:
Ard not to like the move. He has a ton of experience, and iis overqualified for an assistant type role. And it's easy to see what this is, an on staff replacement for KNJ is the defense doesn't progress next season. And I like the idea. We need as many guys as we can to coach up that side of the ball and he's been around a long time. Norton knows get this thing on track or we have the guy in the bulding to tske your job as soon as it's needed. Solid move IMO.


Exactly. Love this move. Adds his input and if KNJ can't pull it together, you have an option.

This team is a competitive defense away from a Championship. Moves like are exciting to see. They know what needs to happen.


If the defense can't pull it together this year it will be partly Pagano fault as well, He could be a scapegoat aswell.

Also as a Asst HC he is in the position to take over for JDR if need be. Not because of a firing or whatnot but because of JDR having to be away for a game or two. I think Musgrave was the asst HC til he wasn't resigned.

Move makes sense. He will help build this defense with KNJ.


I see what you're saying, and to a point I agree, if the defense struggles it won't all be on Norton, but hard to see where Pagano would be the scapegoat when he will only be here an offseason. Much harder sell to blame the new guy brought in to help right the ship over the guy that just oversaw a poor defense. I think Jack knows the longer the defense stays bad the worse it reflects on him, a defensive coach, so he's taking steps to improve the defense as much as possible with who we currently have, next step would be taking over more of the defense than he already does in terms of scheme and play calling and than he would look to replace KNJ if all that fails and he's got a guy at the ready with that on his resume (unlike Norton when he was hired), he's softening the blow, hoping it improves the defense, but if not he has the long term plan in place to extend the responsibility from reaching him as long as possible. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. And I do think the defense will be much better with an off season of focusing primarily on that side of the ball like we did with the offense last year.
_________________

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group