Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints 2017 offseason talk:
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Saints 2017 offseason talk: Reply with quote

I figured I'd create a post for us to chat about this offseason:

With Sean Payton continuing to keep his eye towards a future without the Saints… should Mickey Loomis begin to build the team with an eye towards a future without Sean Payton?

With yet another recent news report links Payton and the Indianapolis Colts job this offseason in which the Colts COO was forced to come out publicly to deny these reports and basically threw Payton and his camp under the bus by admitting that his office did in fact receive a phone call from Payton's camp to gage interest but was ultimately rebuffed by the Colts. Reports also indicated that Payton and his camp snooped around the Rams and Chargers jobs as well this offseason but nothing materialized.

The facts are there for everyone to see… while Payton loves plausible deniability in these matters it's clear he has zero interest in coaching this team beyond Drew Brees and with both Brees and himself entering a make or break season in 2017, Payton was clearly looking for a way out of the Big Easy yet again this offseason.

I think most of us would agree that Payton and Brees are entering a "playoffs or bust" year in 2017 and the Falcons appear to be the class of the division while the Panthers and Buccaneers will be improved along with a slew of other young and improving teams in the NFC... just how confident are you that this Saints team can reach expectations next season when all the pressure will be on them???

With that said... should this offseason be allowed to be just one big last ditch "all in" effort to save Payton and Brees's job for a couple more years in NOLA or should our GM take a page out of our HC's book and start to think about the future and not the present?

WHODAT

WHODAT91FOREVER
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm, what I think and feel will happen are 180° out of phase.

I think the organization needs to dial back Payton's power, especially when he whiffs on Tomsula. Sorry, but I don't trust Payton as far as I could throw him.

Will that happen? Most likely, no.

Mid Iowa wrote:
trade Browner to Canada for a tub of fine Maple syrup, and call it a night.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Worm, what I think and feel will happen are 180° out of phase.

I think the organization needs to dial back Payton's power, especially when he whiffs on Tomsula. Sorry, but I don't trust Payton as far as I could throw him.

Will that happen? Most likely, no.

I'm semi there with you... I feel we will see this front office go "all in" this offseason but only to fall short in 2017. The fact is that we've fallen way behind in our own division and I'm expecting the Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers, Lions, Seahawks and Cardinals to all be in it toward the end next year. To say making the playoffs for this team next year will be an uphill battle would be an understatement!

I also feel that Payton himself has backed himself into a corner this upcoming season with his constant flirtation with other clubs. Tom Benson is a loyal man but he expects loyalty in return (see Randy Muller) and cannot be happy with these constant reports of Payton's camp looking elsewhere.

To me it's playoffs or bust for Payton and it always begins with the removal and shake up of the staff which I can gaurentee you wasn't Payton's call. If he fails next year Payton will not have no excuses or anyone to point the finger at. Brees future with the club isn't necessarily tied to Payton and I can see a sceniero where Brees is extended and Payton is fired but I can also see a future with neither in 2018.

WHODAT91FOREVER
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm, I hear ya there. However, I don't think ol' Tom is all there. But, yeah...Payton is likely to shown the door next offseason.

What if Payton/Loomis go to Mecca and "see the light", change this team around for the better and win the SB next year? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Mid Iowa wrote:
trade Browner to Canada for a tub of fine Maple syrup, and call it a night.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Worm, I hear ya there. However, I don't think ol' Tom is all there. But, yeah...Payton is likely to shown the door next offseason.

What if Payton/Loomis go to Mecca and "see the light", change this team around for the better and win the SB next year? Curious to hear your thoughts.

First... I just do. It believe this team is anywhere near a championship!

Now I do feel that if everything falls right for them a deep playoff run is possible but rarely when a team has as much pressure as this team will have on them in 2017 does it work out. That pressure will be felt from the start of the season to the end, Brees will press and Payton/Allen will have short leaches with many players. As fans you will feel it simply watching the games and the rumors will only make things worse.

Now if they go on a playoff run it's obvious what will happen... Brees will get a 1-2 year extension and the Saints will continue to hold Payton to his contract he signed.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints interviewing Tarver for their LB coach spot. I'd like to land him, and considering he was Allen's DC in Oakland, I have to imagine we have a pretty good shot.

Tbh I'm worried about Loomis and free agency. He's struck out so often with big contracts, with all this cap space I'm worried we'll overpay for the wrong players.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Saints interviewing Tarver for their LB coach spot. I'd like to land him, and considering he was Allen's DC in Oakland, I have to imagine we have a pretty good shot.

Tbh I'm worried about Loomis and free agency. He's struck out so often with big contracts, with all this cap space I'm worried we'll overpay for the wrong players.

Not giving Loomis a pass but he constructs the contracts the way he has to for the players Payton and his staff covet. The biggest fault I give Loomis is allowing Payton too much power over the years and at some point as the GM you need to make sure your doing your job by not allowing your HC free rein.

As for Tarver, I'd be pleased with him as LB coach as his history with Allen should work well and his track record is good. I also hear they interviewed Mike Nolan as well and I think he'd be a very good addition too.

Tarver was mostly a OLB coach before he became a DC and Nolan expertise is with the ILB's. If the Saints could land Tarver as a OLB coach and Nolan as a special defensive assistant / ILB coach that would be a coup!!!

WHODAT91FOREVER
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints interview a few more names on the defensive side of the ball:

Per The Advocate’s Nick Underhill, the Saints recently met with former Alabama defensive line coach Bo Davis.
ESPN’s Adam Caplan has reported that Jason Tarver interviewed for the linebacker coach position. Tarver has been the linebacker coach for the 49ers since 2015, and was Dennis Allen’s defensive coordinator from 2012-2014 with the Raiders.
The Sporting News’ Alex Marvez reports that the team interviewed Brian Vangorder on Tuesday for a defensive staff position, and will interview Mike Nolan on Wednesday. Marvez noted that Nolan was in the running for the linebackers coach position for the Jaguars, but withdrew for other opportunities.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who does everyone want from the draft? Reuben Foster? Derek Barnett? Solomon Thomas?

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
So who does everyone want from the draft? Reuben Foster? Derek Barnett? Solomon Thomas?

I assume you mean in the first round.

I think the Saints will have 5 prospects on their short list...

1. Reuben Foster LB Alabama
2. Solomon Thomas DE Stanford
3. Derek Barnett DE Tennessee
4. Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State
5. Jamal Adams FS/SS Louisiana State

Of those prospects who could fall to 11, my choice would be Solomon Thomas. Insane versatility and ability to rush the quarterback from multiple positions up front but would be a bookend to Jordan in the Base. My close second is Barnett who's 33 sacks in 3 years Tennessee cannot be ignored. He plays with attitude and a nasty streak... dudes a flat out gamer!

WHODAT91FOREVER
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Of those prospects who could fall to 11, my choice would be Solomon Thomas. Insane versatility and ability to rush the quarterback from multiple positions up front but would be a bookend to Jordan in the Base. My close second is Barnett who's 33 sacks in 3 years Tennessee cannot be ignored. He plays with attitude and a nasty streak... dudes a flat out gamer!

Yeah, I did. I want Foster or Thomas. I think Foster may go to Cincy though so I think we'll get Thomas.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Yeah, I did. I want Foster or Thomas. I think Foster may go to Cincy though so I think we'll get Thomas.

I have to admit tho Spart... not being a homer but LSU's Tre' White stock is soaring right now and if you look at his skill set he's the prototypical corner that Allen covets in his scheme. Fluid with size and speed to stick in the hip of receivers. I would not be shocked if by the time the draft comes he's in the conversation at 11 if the Saints don't address corner in FA.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

I have to admit tho Spart... not being a homer but LSU's Tre' White stock is soaring right now and if you look at his skill set he's the prototypical corner that Allen covets in his scheme. Fluid with size and speed to stick in the hip of receivers. I would not be shocked if by the time the draft comes he's in the conversation at 11 if the Saints don't address corner in FA.

I love Tre and wouldn't be mad with it, though I do think corner (or safety) is the position we need least on defense. Two years in a row I've said that though and it ended up being the biggest weakness, whether it was due to health or unforeseen circumstances (Browner being awful, Lewis getting cut).

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

I love Tre and wouldn't be mad with it, though I do think corner (or safety) is the position we need least on defense. Two years in a row I've said that though and it ended up being the biggest weakness, whether it was due to health or unforeseen circumstances (Browner being awful, Lewis getting cut).

Yeah... eventually we have to look at our secondary for what it is and not for what we think it could be... this draft is so deep defensively I feel the Saints would be better served finding a trade partner and sliding back a couple picks and picking up a extra 3rd rounder and grabbing a guy like Tre White in the mid to late teens. We need more picks in a defensive class like this and a extra 3rd rounder could deliver a possible starter for this group.

I want to see this defense get younger, deeper and faster/more explosive. I don't feel it's just one player away... I want quality in this draft because there is quality throughout the top 150 picks!!

WHODAT91FOREVER
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Yeah... eventually we have to look at our secondary for what it is and not for what we think it could be... this draft is so deep defensively I feel the Saints would be better served finding a trade partner and sliding back a couple picks and picking up a extra 3rd rounder and grabbing a guy like Tre White in the mid to late teens. We need more picks in a defensive class like this and a extra 3rd rounder could deliver a possible starter for this group.

I want to see this defense get younger, deeper and faster/more explosive. I don't feel it's just one player away... I want quality in this draft because there is quality throughout the top 150 picks!!

I at the least just want an impact player. DE, LB, CB, doesn't matter if it's someone who can make a big impact on our defense.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: