Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Le'veon Bell Playing Through Injury for "Weeks"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 14363
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
As covered in the Sherman thread, players sign a waiver against their privacy rights being violated so there is no HIPPA issue.

As for the purpose it's all about gambling and fantasy football. These are the reasons the NFL is so popular. The league may not want to admit this but it is what it is.


I disagree.

I think a team's preparation is key, so transparency in these instances allow for a more "pure" product on the field.


How so?


By "pure", I mean that the week's preparation was actually meaningful. Two teams fully prepared for what's going to be on the field. It's a part of what separates TNF from any other game - preparation.

Let's say we're playing the Seahawks, specifically looking at their defense. We're going to say, okay, we need to make sure we stop their pass rush, stay away from Sherman, be wary of ET deep, watch where Kam is on running plays, key in on Wagner if he's blitzing/in coverage, etc. Now let's say Earl hurts his ankle but since there's no injury report, we have no idea. We focus on attacking them short and running the ball - even against a pretty good run defense, under the assumption that we'll have more success running than throwing the ball deep. Well, Earl goes through warm ups but is essentially an inactive. Now we a gameplan that focuses on rushing and conservative passing, when we have actually have an opportunity to attack them deep. Sure, we can make in-game adjustments, but for a majority of teams the game planning done for a game is absolutely key towards what they do on game day. Teams like the Patriots could potentially make sweeping, in-game adjustments, but many teams can't. Now, in this scenario, I either stick with my gameplan (run the ball against a team with a good run defense) or attack downfield (something I spent almost no time preparing to do).

That's just one little example.

Yeah, I don't buy it. What is usually the 1st things teams do when a starting CB gets hurt? Challenge the backup. The whole game isn't scripted. The 1st drive probably but after that you go with what works. I really don't think it's necessary to have an injury report. If you list your inactives I think that is plenty.
_________________
Bonanza23 wrote:
1st off Thomas is a man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yin-Yang


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 1925
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
As covered in the Sherman thread, players sign a waiver against their privacy rights being violated so there is no HIPPA issue.

As for the purpose it's all about gambling and fantasy football. These are the reasons the NFL is so popular. The league may not want to admit this but it is what it is.


I disagree.

I think a team's preparation is key, so transparency in these instances allow for a more "pure" product on the field.


How so?


By "pure", I mean that the week's preparation was actually meaningful. Two teams fully prepared for what's going to be on the field. It's a part of what separates TNF from any other game - preparation.

Let's say we're playing the Seahawks, specifically looking at their defense. We're going to say, okay, we need to make sure we stop their pass rush, stay away from Sherman, be wary of ET deep, watch where Kam is on running plays, key in on Wagner if he's blitzing/in coverage, etc. Now let's say Earl hurts his ankle but since there's no injury report, we have no idea. We focus on attacking them short and running the ball - even against a pretty good run defense, under the assumption that we'll have more success running than throwing the ball deep. Well, Earl goes through warm ups but is essentially an inactive. Now we a gameplan that focuses on rushing and conservative passing, when we have actually have an opportunity to attack them deep. Sure, we can make in-game adjustments, but for a majority of teams the game planning done for a game is absolutely key towards what they do on game day. Teams like the Patriots could potentially make sweeping, in-game adjustments, but many teams can't. Now, in this scenario, I either stick with my gameplan (run the ball against a team with a good run defense) or attack downfield (something I spent almost no time preparing to do).

That's just one little example.

Yeah, I don't buy it. What is usually the 1st things teams do when a starting CB gets hurt? Challenge the backup. The whole game isn't scripted. The 1st drive probably but after that you go with what works. I really don't think it's necessary to have an injury report. If you list your inactives I think that is plenty.


I'm not saying the game is scripted at all, not even the first drive.

But you're incredibly naive to think that the week's preparation isn't integral to what teams get done on game day - especially in the playoffs. Teams quite often do not "go with what works", otherwise we would've seen the Steelers stay out of their soft zones on Sunday. If you do in fact find preparation important, then there's no way you could "not buy" the notion that game planning all week for a player that won't be playing results in a watered down product. Why exactly do you thinks TNF games are so vanilla?

Listing inactives doesn't accomplish much because then the team just would list their players as questionable until Sunday.

If you want to think prep doesn't matter, more power to you. I guess your players might as well just take the whole week to R&R. But I'm of the belief that good teams are good partly because of practice and preparation.
_________________


biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2522
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Yin-Yang if an injury occurs after the last game, the angle of competitive advantage with the opposition having all the info to gameplan with all available information certainly holds. But as others mentioned in the Sherman thread, if it's an injury that's affecting a player from prior games and there's game film, other teams should be able to see this and adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, fans only can go by the injury report, they don't get to break down game film. And let's face it, gambling and fantasy are a huge reason why NFL is #1 in North America for sports viewing. This is no doubt why it's become a bigger issue nowadays. It's no coincidence that the NFL is cracking down hard on lack of disclosure now, where if this was the 1970's or 80's, I doubt you even get a sniff of a story with Sherman, or any discussion here with Bell.

For the record, I don't think the Steelers get much of a penalty here, but that's only because they don't have a prior recent record of rule violations (other than in-game tripping lol), and none if there's no trail to show anyone in PIT knew (but again, Bell missing practices at least sends up a flag here). But if Sherman is getting this much attention, you have to believe the NFL will at least investigate.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 14363
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
As covered in the Sherman thread, players sign a waiver against their privacy rights being violated so there is no HIPPA issue.

As for the purpose it's all about gambling and fantasy football. These are the reasons the NFL is so popular. The league may not want to admit this but it is what it is.


I disagree.

I think a team's preparation is key, so transparency in these instances allow for a more "pure" product on the field.


How so?


By "pure", I mean that the week's preparation was actually meaningful. Two teams fully prepared for what's going to be on the field. It's a part of what separates TNF from any other game - preparation.

Let's say we're playing the Seahawks, specifically looking at their defense. We're going to say, okay, we need to make sure we stop their pass rush, stay away from Sherman, be wary of ET deep, watch where Kam is on running plays, key in on Wagner if he's blitzing/in coverage, etc. Now let's say Earl hurts his ankle but since there's no injury report, we have no idea. We focus on attacking them short and running the ball - even against a pretty good run defense, under the assumption that we'll have more success running than throwing the ball deep. Well, Earl goes through warm ups but is essentially an inactive. Now we a gameplan that focuses on rushing and conservative passing, when we have actually have an opportunity to attack them deep. Sure, we can make in-game adjustments, but for a majority of teams the game planning done for a game is absolutely key towards what they do on game day. Teams like the Patriots could potentially make sweeping, in-game adjustments, but many teams can't. Now, in this scenario, I either stick with my gameplan (run the ball against a team with a good run defense) or attack downfield (something I spent almost no time preparing to do).

That's just one little example.

Yeah, I don't buy it. What is usually the 1st things teams do when a starting CB gets hurt? Challenge the backup. The whole game isn't scripted. The 1st drive probably but after that you go with what works. I really don't think it's necessary to have an injury report. If you list your inactives I think that is plenty.


I'm not saying the game is scripted at all, not even the first drive.

But you're incredibly naive to think that the week's preparation isn't integral to what teams get done on game day - especially in the playoffs. Teams quite often do not "go with what works", otherwise we would've seen the Steelers stay out of their soft zones on Sunday. If you do in fact find preparation important, then there's no way you could "not buy" the notion that game planning all week for a player that won't be playing results in a watered down product. Why exactly do you thinks TNF games are so vanilla?

Listing inactives doesn't accomplish much because then the team just would list their players as questionable until Sunday.

If you want to think prep doesn't matter, more power to you. I guess your players might as well just take the whole week to R&R. But I'm of the belief that good teams are good partly because of practice and preparation.


So if Bell was listed as questionable the Patriots would have changed how they approached the week? How about if he had been listed as questionable for the same issue the previous 5 weeks but still played the entire games and put up ridiculous number like say, what he did?
_________________
Bonanza23 wrote:
1st off Thomas is a man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TXsteeler


Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 2236
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
As covered in the Sherman thread, players sign a waiver against their privacy rights being violated so there is no HIPPA issue.

As for the purpose it's all about gambling and fantasy football. These are the reasons the NFL is so popular. The league may not want to admit this but it is what it is.


I disagree.

I think a team's preparation is key, so transparency in these instances allow for a more "pure" product on the field.


How so?


By "pure", I mean that the week's preparation was actually meaningful. Two teams fully prepared for what's going to be on the field. It's a part of what separates TNF from any other game - preparation.

Let's say we're playing the Seahawks, specifically looking at their defense. We're going to say, okay, we need to make sure we stop their pass rush, stay away from Sherman, be wary of ET deep, watch where Kam is on running plays, key in on Wagner if he's blitzing/in coverage, etc. Now let's say Earl hurts his ankle but since there's no injury report, we have no idea. We focus on attacking them short and running the ball - even against a pretty good run defense, under the assumption that we'll have more success running than throwing the ball deep. Well, Earl goes through warm ups but is essentially an inactive. Now we a gameplan that focuses on rushing and conservative passing, when we have actually have an opportunity to attack them deep. Sure, we can make in-game adjustments, but for a majority of teams the game planning done for a game is absolutely key towards what they do on game day. Teams like the Patriots could potentially make sweeping, in-game adjustments, but many teams can't. Now, in this scenario, I either stick with my gameplan (run the ball against a team with a good run defense) or attack downfield (something I spent almost no time preparing to do).

That's just one little example.

Yeah, I don't buy it. What is usually the 1st things teams do when a starting CB gets hurt? Challenge the backup. The whole game isn't scripted. The 1st drive probably but after that you go with what works. I really don't think it's necessary to have an injury report. If you list your inactives I think that is plenty.


I'm not saying the game is scripted at all, not even the first drive.

But you're incredibly naive to think that the week's preparation isn't integral to what teams get done on game day - especially in the playoffs. Teams quite often do not "go with what works", otherwise we would've seen the Steelers stay out of their soft zones on Sunday. If you do in fact find preparation important, then there's no way you could "not buy" the notion that game planning all week for a player that won't be playing results in a watered down product. Why exactly do you thinks TNF games are so vanilla?

Listing inactives doesn't accomplish much because then the team just would list their players as questionable until Sunday.

If you want to think prep doesn't matter, more power to you. I guess your players might as well just take the whole week to R&R. But I'm of the belief that good teams are good partly because of practice and preparation.


So if Bell was listed as questionable the Patriots would have changed how they approached the week? How about if he had been listed as questionable for the same issue the previous 5 weeks but still played the entire games and put up ridiculous number like say, what he did?


Exactly, haven't other teams done this before? The injury report serves no real purpose outside of letting fans and gamblers know who may or may not play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yin-Yang


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 1925
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
^^Yin-Yang if an injury occurs after the last game, the angle of competitive advantage with the opposition having all the info to gameplan with all available information certainly holds. But as others mentioned in the Sherman thread, if it's an injury that's affecting a player from prior games and there's game film, other teams should be able to see this and adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, fans only can go by the injury report, they don't get to break down game film. And let's face it, gambling and fantasy are a huge reason why NFL is #1 in North America for sports viewing. This is no doubt why it's become a bigger issue nowadays. It's no coincidence that the NFL is cracking down hard on lack of disclosure now, where if this was the 1970's or 80's, I doubt you even get a sniff of a story with Sherman, or any discussion here with Bell.

For the record, I don't think the Steelers get much of a penalty here, but that's only because they don't have a prior recent record of rule violations (other than in-game tripping lol), and none if there's no trail to show anyone in PIT knew (but again, Bell missing practices at least sends up a flag here). But if Sherman is getting this much attention, you have to believe the NFL will at least investigate.


I have no idea if it would've been a story 30 years ago. I appreciate your speculation but none of us know. My stance was against the notion that "the only reason" for an injury report is gambling. There's definitely another aspect. To what degree, I don't care to debate, because it's highly subjective and I suspect it'd be a pointless discussion. But I think there is certainly some competitiveness that goes on with the injury report.

The fact that it was terribly advantageous in Sherman's interest does not minimize or mitigate the advantage that would be had in several other instances. Jody Nelson with his ribs is an example, where his status was in question as soon as the injury occurred.

Thomas5737 wrote:
So if Bell was listed as questionable the Patriots would have changed how they approached the week? How about if he had been listed as questionable for the same issue the previous 5 weeks but still played the entire games and put up ridiculous number like say, what he did?


If Bell was listed as questionable, yes, I suspect their week of preparation would be different than it was under the presumption that he was a full-go. The severity of the injury/his likelihood of playing/his likelihood of playing at 100% all go into game planning.

If he had been on the injury report every week prior, they likely would have prepared as they did IMO. At that point, they'd assume his injury was not effecting his game and thus he was still dangerous.

I'll assume you have nothing to add since you didn't respond to a lick of my post and just posted rhetorical questions (while simultaneously ignoring mine: why do you think TNF offensive and defensive game plans are so vanilla?).
_________________


biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2522
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
^^Yin-Yang if an injury occurs after the last game, the angle of competitive advantage with the opposition having all the info to gameplan with all available information certainly holds. But as others mentioned in the Sherman thread, if it's an injury that's affecting a player from prior games and there's game film, other teams should be able to see this and adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, fans only can go by the injury report, they don't get to break down game film. And let's face it, gambling and fantasy are a huge reason why NFL is #1 in North America for sports viewing. This is no doubt why it's become a bigger issue nowadays. It's no coincidence that the NFL is cracking down hard on lack of disclosure now, where if this was the 1970's or 80's, I doubt you even get a sniff of a story with Sherman, or any discussion here with Bell.

For the record, I don't think the Steelers get much of a penalty here, but that's only because they don't have a prior recent record of rule violations (other than in-game tripping lol), and none if there's no trail to show anyone in PIT knew (but again, Bell missing practices at least sends up a flag here). But if Sherman is getting this much attention, you have to believe the NFL will at least investigate.


I have no idea if it would've been a story 30 years ago. I appreciate your speculation but none of us know. My stance was against the notion that "the only reason" for an injury report is gambling. There's definitely another aspect. To what degree, I don't care to debate, because it's highly subjective and I suspect it'd be a pointless discussion. But I think there is certainly some competitiveness that goes on with the injury report.

The fact that it was terribly advantageous in Sherman's interest does not minimize or mitigate the advantage that would be had in several other instances. Jody Nelson with his ribs is an example, where his status was in question as soon as the injury occurred.



Well if you were just arguing it wasn't the only reason, I'd agree there's an angle for competitive balance - but only for injuries that occur after the last game. Teams can pick up on film whether a guy is more exploitable than normal - or at least they have the shot. The main reason why it's important now and the NFL is cracking down remains for gambling fans, though.

And to add more to the story - Tomlin admits he knew about the injury. This could get VERY interesting - because now you have proof PIT knew and didn't disclose, AND Bell missed practice time. No way it should be the same severity as SEA, given the lack of other violations, but if the NFL wants to be consistent, an investigation and a pick penalty (say, a 5th), wouldn't surprise me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000778541/article/injuries-mack-ankle-unlikely-to-practice-this-week?campaign=Twitter_atn
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 36145
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't he miss practices due to healing from injury? I could've sworn he did on Wednesday (was it?) last week leading to the Patriots game?
_________________
Come Follow The Great NSFL!
Other Sports / Steelers Forum Moderator - Feel Free To PM Me For Help About Anything!
PSN / Xbox GT / Steam - Dylonus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2522
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Didn't he miss practices due to healing from injury? I could've sworn he did on Wednesday (was it?) last week leading to the Patriots game?


The official report said he missed practice last week for at least 1 day due to "personal reasons" and never showed up on PIT's injury report. Tomlin's confirmation he knew about the injury presents a problem here. Again, there's no prior history like SEA, but it's hard not to see this develop into an investigation plus some penalty (fine at best...some type of lost pick at worst), given Tomlin's admission.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 14363
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
^^Yin-Yang if an injury occurs after the last game, the angle of competitive advantage with the opposition having all the info to gameplan with all available information certainly holds. But as others mentioned in the Sherman thread, if it's an injury that's affecting a player from prior games and there's game film, other teams should be able to see this and adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, fans only can go by the injury report, they don't get to break down game film. And let's face it, gambling and fantasy are a huge reason why NFL is #1 in North America for sports viewing. This is no doubt why it's become a bigger issue nowadays. It's no coincidence that the NFL is cracking down hard on lack of disclosure now, where if this was the 1970's or 80's, I doubt you even get a sniff of a story with Sherman, or any discussion here with Bell.

For the record, I don't think the Steelers get much of a penalty here, but that's only because they don't have a prior recent record of rule violations (other than in-game tripping lol), and none if there's no trail to show anyone in PIT knew (but again, Bell missing practices at least sends up a flag here). But if Sherman is getting this much attention, you have to believe the NFL will at least investigate.


I have no idea if it would've been a story 30 years ago. I appreciate your speculation but none of us know. My stance was against the notion that "the only reason" for an injury report is gambling. There's definitely another aspect. To what degree, I don't care to debate, because it's highly subjective and I suspect it'd be a pointless discussion. But I think there is certainly some competitiveness that goes on with the injury report.

The fact that it was terribly advantageous in Sherman's interest does not minimize or mitigate the advantage that would be had in several other instances. Jody Nelson with his ribs is an example, where his status was in question as soon as the injury occurred.

Thomas5737 wrote:
So if Bell was listed as questionable the Patriots would have changed how they approached the week? How about if he had been listed as questionable for the same issue the previous 5 weeks but still played the entire games and put up ridiculous number like say, what he did?


If Bell was listed as questionable, yes, I suspect their week of preparation would be different than it was under the presumption that he was a full-go. The severity of the injury/his likelihood of playing/his likelihood of playing at 100% all go into game planning.

If he had been on the injury report every week prior, they likely would have prepared as they did IMO. At that point, they'd assume his injury was not effecting his game and thus he was still dangerous.

I'll assume you have nothing to add since you didn't respond to a lick of my post and just posted rhetorical questions (while simultaneously ignoring mine: why do you think TNF offensive and defensive game plans are so vanilla?).


Thursday night games are like that because they only had 3 days between games. A day or rest for the players, a day of meetings and walkthrough practice and another day or walkthroughs and meeting or a travel day for the road team. It has nothing to do with not knowing who the other team is (or who is playing).
_________________
Bonanza23 wrote:
1st off Thomas is a man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yin-Yang


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 1925
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Thursday night games are like that because they only had 3 days between games. A day or rest for the players, a day of meetings and walkthrough practice and another day or walkthroughs and meeting or a travel day for the road team. It has nothing to do with not knowing who the other team is (or who is playing).


So what you're saying is, TNF games are so watered down because the teams can't prepare efficiently in the short time span?
_________________


biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 14363
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Thursday night games are like that because they only had 3 days between games. A day or rest for the players, a day of meetings and walkthrough practice and another day or walkthroughs and meeting or a travel day for the road team. It has nothing to do with not knowing who the other team is (or who is playing).


So what you're saying is, TNF games are so watered down because the teams can't prepare efficiently in the short time span?


Sorta, mostly because they can't rest and practice. You are putting way too much stock into how much time a team prepares for a specific player. If it meant that much just play your back ups, the other team won't have any idea what is coming you would steamroll them.

They have to prepare for the opposing team's scheme much more than the players on the team.
_________________
Bonanza23 wrote:
1st off Thomas is a man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yin-Yang


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 1925
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Sorta, mostly because they can't rest and practice. You are putting way too much stock into how much time a team prepares for a specific player. If it meant that much just play your back ups, the other team won't have any idea what is coming you would steamroll them.

They have to prepare for the opposing team's scheme much more than the players on the team.


So you're recognizing the importance of practice (and belittling the purpose of strategy...) but then in the same breath down playing how ambiguity on your opponent can be detrimental? What do you think is going on at practice, stretches and Oklahoma's?

Not going to even argue with your example, because we both know why it doesn't make sense. I very clearly told you how a team can go in with one game under the assumption of a star player being on the field (avoiding the deep ball against Earl). It could be the same with wanting to pass the ball against the Texans because of their strong front - but wait, Watt and Clowney are both barely walking. Star players can alter game plans, that's why they're stars. You're a Browns fan, you ought to know how certain players being in the game can drastically alter what the strategy is (Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu).

I'm not saying the prep missed for TNF games is equal to the amount that goes to waste if a team is preparing for player x and said player doesn't end up being active. I was highlighting the importance of game planning and strategy in football. Honest question, do you think (good) teams just go in every week doing the same old thing?
_________________


biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 14363
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Sorta, mostly because they can't rest and practice. You are putting way too much stock into how much time a team prepares for a specific player. If it meant that much just play your back ups, the other team won't have any idea what is coming you would steamroll them.

They have to prepare for the opposing team's scheme much more than the players on the team.


So you're recognizing the importance of practice (and belittling the purpose of strategy...) but then in the same breath down playing how ambiguity on your opponent can be detrimental? What do you think is going on at practice, stretches and Oklahoma's?

Not going to even argue with your example, because we both know why it doesn't make sense. I very clearly told you how a team can go in with one game under the assumption of a star player being on the field (avoiding the deep ball against Earl). It could be the same with wanting to pass the ball against the Texans because of their strong front - but wait, Watt and Clowney are both barely walking. Star players can alter game plans, that's why they're stars. You're a Browns fan, you ought to know how certain players being in the game can drastically alter what the strategy is (Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu).

I'm not saying the prep missed for TNF games is equal to the amount that goes to waste if a team is preparing for player x and said player doesn't end up being active. I was highlighting the importance of game planning and strategy in football. Honest question, do you think (good) teams just go in every week doing the same old thing?


No they prepare for the opposing team's schemes. They will mimic the style of the players on the opposing team but if any player is listed as questionable they are still going to prepare as if he is starting. You rarely would ever change the way you plan to attack based on a non-QB being listed as questionable. Just like the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't have changed everything about their run offense thinking that Bell would be listed as questionable. They may run different plays to exploit different strengths but that is play calling during the game, not changing how you prepare. The offensive lineman, QB, wide receivers and tight ends still have the same duties on the run play called regardless of who is carrying the ball. The same with the defense. You still have gap responsibility, have to set the edge, etc... no matter who is running the football, you will just likely have better success at what you are doing with the less talented player in there.
_________________
Bonanza23 wrote:
1st off Thomas is a man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yin-Yang


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 1925
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
No they prepare for the opposing team's schemes. They will mimic the style of the players on the opposing team but if any player is listed as questionable they are still going to prepare as if he is starting. You rarely would ever change the way you plan to attack based on a non-QB being listed as questionable. Just like the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't have changed everything about their run offense thinking that Bell would be listed as questionable. They may run different plays to exploit different strengths but that is play calling during the game, not changing how you prepare. The offensive lineman, QB, wide receivers and tight ends still have the same duties on the run play called regardless of who is carrying the ball. The same with the defense. You still have gap responsibility, have to set the edge, etc... no matter who is running the football, you will just likely have better success at what you are doing with the less talented player in there.


We're beating around the bush at this point, you don't address anything and then just spew exactly what you said before with different words.

No, teams don't prepare just for schemes. If they did, there'd be no reason to practice for teams like Atlanta (on defense) or Seattle; everyone knows what they run on defense. If you know Kam is going to be a libaility/inactive, you may wish to take advantage of outside runs. If Earl is going to be a liability/inactive, you may wish to test him more on the deep ball. If Ed Reed is a liability/inactive, then that completely changes how you can attack the Ravens defense. Packers have the flu? Maybe I'll run some hurry up and test their cardio.

It's not "this is what we do, we'll do it with whoever against whatever man is lined up ahead of us". Teams game plan for certain players. We've seen teams just run away from players before, all game long (Donald, off the top of my head).

Now, I see you're contending that teams will game plan for a guy that is questionable. That's true. But it still allows the team to prepare for the possibility of that player not playing or playing hurt. Even then, what if the guy's doubtful? Or reports come out saying he's highly unlikely to play? Do teams prepare for the Texans and JJ Watt with ruptured discs the same way they do if he's healthy? No way.

You either have a misconstrued outlook on what goes on during the week or severely underestimate how much work goes into these games.[/b]
_________________


biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group