Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Le'veon Bell Playing Through Injury for "Weeks"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Le'veon Bell Playing Through Injury for "Weeks"? Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/leveon-bell-says-hes-been-playing-through-groin-injury/

This becomes important because Bell missed practices, for which the Steelers called it personal reasons. With this admission, it raises the Q again whether the Steelers failed to report an injury.

Now, the Steelers don't have any record of rules violations like Carroll did with OTA's, and no one on the Steelers have been stupid enough to admit they knew, so there's a way PIT could walk away untouched here. But it's pretty hard to believe PIT didn't know about the injury, and if there's any trail the NFL can follow, you have to wonder given how the NFL is treating SEA & Carroll, what happens here. No Bell certainly had a big impact on NE covering the spread, and other prop bets I'm sure from that game. And while the NFL will never admit it, cases like these, assuming PIT knew, well, seems like the NFL is coming down hard.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dock a pick!!!
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose lips sink ships. Theyd be wise to hush Bell and play dumb from here on out.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is some evidence that the team and/or coach(es) knew and didn't report, they absolutely deserve to be penalized. Not at the extent to which Seattle is facing due to Seattle violating multiple things in a short time frame, but undoubtedly some sort of consequence.

But that'd have to be with evidence that the team knew and that Bell wasn't hiding it himself.

Definitely warrants an investigation, however, IMO.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of stupid to take a pick away from a team for failing to report an injured player especially if they are still practicing.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
Kind of stupid to take a pick away from a team for failing to report an injured player especially if they are still practicing.
OP says he did miss practices though.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groin injuries for some (chronic) are always there and resurface. They do last a long time but you can play through most of them. They limit some mobility and obviously you are playing in pain with every step but it doesn't limit you overall like a hamstring injury does.

I don't know if Bell's groin issue is a chronic one but if it is I don't think that you should have to list him as questionable on every injury report for the rest of his career.

That said, I'm a Browns fan so I'd dock them a 1st round pick.
Malik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're getting surgery I don't see the point it making these public. After 16+ games everyone has some sort of injury they're playing through besides QBs, kickers, and punters.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Groin injuries for some (chronic) are always there and resurface. They do last a long time but you can play through most of them. They limit some mobility and obviously you are playing in pain with every step but it doesn't limit you overall like a hamstring injury does.

I don't know if Bell's groin issue is a chronic one but if it is I don't think that you should have to list him as questionable on every injury report for the rest of his career.

That said, I'm a Browns fan so I'd dock them a 1st round pick

WhoRungTheBellGate? GroinForCoinGate? Either way, Dock them all the picks.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If PIT knew of the injury and Bell was not listed on the injury report, then some sort of penalty seems likely (given the precedence with other teams).

At this point, not sure what the purpose of the injury report is.
--Certainly not player safety. Hey, lets state what is dinged up on my players so the other team can take an extra shot at it during the game.

--HIPPA issues Why does anyone need to know outside of gambling and fantasy football.

--Could become a slippery slope with teams just listing every player as "having a knee or leg issue"
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
If PIT knew of the injury and Bell was not listed on the injury report, then some sort of penalty seems likely (given the precedence with other teams).

At this point, not sure what the purpose of the injury report is.
--Certainly not player safety. Hey, lets state what is dinged up on my players so the other team can take an extra shot at it during the game.

--HIPPA issues Why does anyone need to know outside of gambling and fantasy football.

--Could become a slippery slope with teams just listing every player as "having a knee or leg issue"

Unlike some injuries groin injuries are really something you can target...well, you know what I mean.

It's all about availability and fairness to the other team (gamblers) because you could deceive the other team having them prepare for your athletic QB instead of your pocket passer and that could be creating an unfair advantage (It really is just about gambling). I understand why the league (Vegas) needs rules like this.

I'd say a 50 million dollar reduction in cap space for the next 5 years and the loss of a 1st round pick should send the message to the Steelers.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As covered in the Sherman thread, players sign a waiver against their privacy rights being violated so there is no HIPPA issue.

As for the purpose it's all about gambling and fantasy football. These are the reasons the NFL is so popular. The league may not want to admit this but it is what it is.
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
As covered in the Sherman thread, players sign a waiver against their privacy rights being violated so there is no HIPPA issue.

As for the purpose it's all about gambling and fantasy football. These are the reasons the NFL is so popular. The league may not want to admit this but it is what it is.

I disagree.

I think a team's preparation is key, so transparency in these instances allow for a more "pure" product on the field.

biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

I disagree.

I think a team's preparation is key, so transparency in these instances allow for a more "pure" product on the field.

How so?
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

I disagree.

How so?

By "pure", I mean that the week's preparation was actually meaningful. Two teams fully prepared for what's going to be on the field. It's a part of what separates TNF from any other game - preparation.

Let's say we're playing the Seahawks, specifically looking at their defense. We're going to say, okay, we need to make sure we stop their pass rush, stay away from Sherman, be wary of ET deep, watch where Kam is on running plays, key in on Wagner if he's blitzing/in coverage, etc. Now let's say Earl hurts his ankle but since there's no injury report, we have no idea. We focus on attacking them short and running the ball - even against a pretty good run defense, under the assumption that we'll have more success running than throwing the ball deep. Well, Earl goes through warm ups but is essentially an inactive. Now we a gameplan that focuses on rushing and conservative passing, when we have actually have an opportunity to attack them deep. Sure, we can make in-game adjustments, but for a majority of teams the game planning done for a game is absolutely key towards what they do on game day. Teams like the Patriots could potentially make sweeping, in-game adjustments, but many teams can't. Now, in this scenario, I either stick with my gameplan (run the ball against a team with a good run defense) or attack downfield (something I spent almost no time preparing to do).

That's just one little example.

biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: