You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super Bowl LI: Patriots v. Falcons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we win?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 27 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
I'm more optimistic about the run D. They had Le'Veon Bell bottled up pretty well while he was in the game yesterday (longest run was 6 yards) and while the combination of Freeman and Coleman present a different set of challenge (Freeman is particularly effective getting around the edge), I'm confident enough in the ability of this team to tackle at the second level that I don't think the Falcons will be able to control the pace of play with their running game.

Agreed, but if they're smart they'll use the short passing game as an extension of their running game and that's where I think our front seven gets into trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Thing is, you can't allocate your two best DB's (Butler and McCourty) to one guy with Sanu and Gabriel (and Freeman) still out there. If Jones is drawing bracket coverage, you need to match him up with a non-Butler CB. Rowe is bigger, stronger and faster than Ryan, although has worse instincts and technique.

Really depends on how well they think Rowe and Ryan match up with Sanu or Gabriel.

I hear you, I said the same thing in the NFL Gen thread about putting their two best DBs vs Jones. Now I'm thinking they may cover him with Ryan+McCourty, similar to how they match up against DeAndre Hopkins. Whatever the case, they'll have their hands full.

Last edited by childofpudding on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
Starless wrote:
I'm more optimistic about the run D. They had Le'Veon Bell bottled up pretty well while he was in the game yesterday (longest run was 6 yards) and while the combination of Freeman and Coleman present a different set of challenge (Freeman is particularly effective getting around the edge), I'm confident enough in the ability of this team to tackle at the second level that I don't think the Falcons will be able to control the pace of play with their running game.

Agreed, but if they're smart they'll use the short passing game as an extension of their running game and that's where I think our front seven gets into trouble.

Shanahan is pretty smart. He'll work those short areas and the flat with the RB's and hope for YAC.

I have a feeling one of the DiMarco/Toilolo/Hooper triumvirate will have a big play and we'll all be screaming about how the Pats gave up a critical play to a bit player. Just the way it goes when the opponent is so deep.
Packers8989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers fan here. Ya'll gonna be in tough with dem Dirty Birds. They are stacked everywhere. If you can avoid mistakes, not have dropped int's like us, go into half down 10 or less...you have a chance.
CP3MVP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the patriots finally be able to run the ball against a team that's not the colts in the Playoffs?

2.1 YPC versus Pittsburg
3.4 YPC against the Texans
2.6 YPC Against the Broncos last year
1.1 YPC against the Ravens in 2014
2.7 YPC against the Chiefs last year
3.9 YPC against the Ravens in 2012
2.7 YPC against Seattle in the Super Bowl

Against the Falcons pass defense I don't think it's going to matter but something to watch

Laughing
Starless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats wearing white jerseys.

Game's as good as over.
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they wore blue in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, and 2011, and white in 2014.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Starless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
White in '04.
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
White in '04.

Oh yeah.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
childofpudding wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
childofpudding wrote:
My coverage prediction is Butler+safety on Jones, Rowe on Sanu, Ryan on Gabriel. Latter two could be switched, but I'd be wary of putting Rowe on Gabriel. Gabriel would burn him. Could also see Butler and Ryan switched. I think it would be a mistake to put Rowe on Jones, help or not. Jones would just run right by him.

I re-watched that Eagles game. There's little point in rushing 5. The O-line just picks it up. Either rush 4 and play coverage or rush 6. Sometimes the Eagles rushed 7 and got home, forcing a quick throw from Ryan, who when he had to get rid of the ball quickly almost always just tossed it up in Jones' direction. Patriots could win themselves an INT with a well-timed blitz combined with anticipatory coverage. Also, Coleman didn't play in that game. He and Freeman catching out of the backfield will be a challenge. Patriots will have to be sure tacklers, which they have been all season. Julio also had a few drops in that game and the Falcons had some untimely penalties. In other words, keeping the Falcons to a reasonable score will require no giveaways, a near-perfect defense, and some luck.

On offense, I think Lewis and White could have big games. Atlanta struggles against the quicker backs, and struggles to cover them in the passing game. Blount could have some big gains too if he just follows the damn double-team block instead of dancing in the backfield. Brady has to be wary of Poole, the slot corner who likes to come in on that blindside blitz. He nailed Rodgers a couple times and hit Wentz once in the Eagles game.

Eric Rowe is pretty fast. He ran a 4.4 at the combine and reportedly had private workouts (grain of salt and all that) running 4.3. He's faster than either Butler or Ryan.

I know he plays like Browner with the grabbing and people are lazily drawing that comparison, but Rowe is a good athlete. His instincts are where he gets in trouble. But he has the strength to jam Jones and the recovery speed to catch up if Jones gets off the jam quickly.

I could be mistaken about his speed, so maybe it's just his technique or quickness. I don't know. It just seems like there's a couple times every game where the WR gets behind him and he's lucky it wasn't a big reception. Could be my bias - he has gotten better and done better than I expected, but I'm still just not a big fan. Would rather have Butler+McCourty or Ryan+McCourty on Jones.

Thing is, you can't allocate your two best DB's (Butler and McCourty) to one guy with Sanu and Gabriel (and Freeman) still out there. If Jones is drawing bracket coverage, you need to match him up with a non-Butler CB. Rowe is bigger, stronger and faster than Ryan, although has worse instincts and technique.

Really depends on how well they think Rowe and Ryan match up with Sanu or Gabriel.

I was actually thinking that we would line up Rowe + McCourty against Jones, Ryan on Sanu, and Butler on Gabriel.

Didn't say it though because putting Butler on Gabriel feels like such a waste. In the end, we may roll over to a Zone defense to stop YAC from Freeman + Coleman along with over the middle passes to TE's. Would leave some of their WRs on an island with our CBs though; worth a shot imo

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Whats yalls feeling on how Jones will be covered? I didnt watch that whole ptt game but the way they covered brown (from what I saw) im not sure would work. They were pretty physical and tired to bully him, Jone is 6'3, 225 and just an absolute monster physically.
My feeling is that they'll use a combination of Rowe (who's 6'2") and McCourty on him, and put Butler on Gabriel and Ryan on Sanu.

God I hope not, Rowe IMO Stinks I can't stand his play. He always seems a step behind his man. Maybe with DMAC it makes sense Rowe just scares me.
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:
Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Whats yalls feeling on how Jones will be covered? I didnt watch that whole ptt game but the way they covered brown (from what I saw) im not sure would work. They were pretty physical and tired to bully him, Jone is 6'3, 225 and just an absolute monster physically.
My feeling is that they'll use a combination of Rowe (who's 6'2") and McCourty on him, and put Butler on Gabriel and Ryan on Sanu.

God I hope not, Rowe IMO Stinks I can't stand his play. He always seems a step behind his man. Maybe with DMAC it makes sense Rowe just scares me.

It's pretty natural for a corner to be a slight step behind his man. That doesn't take you out of the play. He's usually in position to make a play downfield. He seldom gets roasted on 9 routes. His physicality with McCourty's savvy is a great tandem to use. If he does get beat, McCourty has the over coverage.

animaltested wrote:
MoJo63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

It's pretty natural for a corner to be a slight step behind his man. That doesn't take you out of the play. He's usually in position to make a play downfield. He seldom gets roasted on 9 routes. His physicality with McCourty's savvy is a great tandem to use. If he does get beat, McCourty has the over coverage.

The other thing that worries me is he never turns to make a play on the ball, or seldom, I don't know, I am sure Matt will do what's best.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

The other thing that worries me is he never turns to make a play on the ball, or seldom, I don't know, I am sure Matt will do what's best.

While Butler could probably stick with Julio better on routes, he is outmatched physically and I am unsure he could make a tackle in the open field against Julio one on one. Julio has 4 inches on Butler with even more reach to go with a 30 pound advantage. Not to mention Julio is faster. Rowe matches up better physically and has shown a good ability to be in position despite matching up with good route runners. It makes the most sense.

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

While Butler could probably stick with Julio better on routes, he is outmatched physically and I am unsure he could make a tackle in the open field against Julio one on one. Julio has 4 inches on Butler with even more reach to go with a 30 pound advantage. Not to mention Julio is faster. Rowe matches up better physically and has shown a good ability to be in position despite matching up with good route runners. It makes the most sense.

iirc we usually stick Ryan on taller WR's. Ryan's technique is much better than Butlers.

We usually have Butler on smaller route savvy or athletic WR's because Butler is an extremely physical CB and can really throw off a smaller WR's game. Jamming Julio is only going to do so much. However, jamming Gabriel pretty much ends Gabriel's route.

The wrench in the gears here is now we have Rowe, who is far more athletically talented than Ryan or Butler. Butler still has better agility and make up speed than Rowe but, Rowe is more athletically rounded than Butler. The issue Rowe has is that he's not as instinctual and quick as Butler, nor is he as technically sound as Ryan. This is why Rowe's highlights shown him getting beat pretty bad sometimes; he can fall for a double move or miss a jam and can't make up for his mistake unlike Butler.
That said, Rowe isn't that bad and his lowlights look especially bad because of what I mentioned above. McCourty should be able to contain Rowe's mistakes and if Rowe can get his hands on Julio, I think we'll be surprised by what Rowe can do.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 3 of 49

Jump to: