You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super Bowl LI: Patriots v. Falcons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we win?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 27 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

Starless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMG wrote:
Bold prediction: Atlanta held to <=20 points.
That'll only happen if the Pats run the ball effectively, which is possible against their defense, but I also think it'll be something the Falcons will work hard to prepare for.
NMM11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else a little worried about Hightowers form? He's been pretty pedestrian for the las half of the season imo. Injuries have to be playing a part I'd assume. How many snaps was he even on the field for last night?

Last edited by NMM11 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pats#1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMG wrote:
Bold prediction: Atlanta held to <=20 points.

Least bold prediction: You will say the game is over at least 5 times.

WE'RE ON TO 2016
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats yalls feeling on how Jones will be covered? I didnt watch that whole ptt game but the way they covered brown (from what I saw) im not sure would work. They were pretty physical and tired to bully him, Jone is 6'3, 225 and just an absolute monster physically.
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Whats yalls feeling on how Jones will be covered? I didnt watch that whole ptt game but the way they covered brown (from what I saw) im not sure would work. They were pretty physical and tired to bully him, Jone is 6'3, 225 and just an absolute monster physically.
My feeling is that they'll use a combination of Rowe (who's 6'2") and McCourty on him, and put Butler on Gabriel and Ryan on Sanu.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://streamable.com/079eb

Can't wait for it.

Mack on the sig
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
My feeling is that they'll use a combination of Rowe (who's 6'2") and McCourty on him, and put Butler on Gabriel and Ryan on Sanu.

Any idea on what theyll do with coleman and freeman? or hooper? Really not being too optimistic here, just when you list out who the falcons can throw out there offensively, its almost overwhelming. Trying to get an idea of what we can expect.
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

Any idea on what theyll do with coleman and freeman? or hooper? Really not being too optimistic here, just when you list out who the falcons can throw out there offensively, its almost overwhelming. Trying to get an idea of what we can expect.
Depends on the formation.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

This is where I'm at too. Rowe + McCourty makes the most sense, with Ryan on Sanu and Butler on Gabriel. I could see Ryan + McCourty on Jones with Rowe on Sanu as well.

Butler would get eaten up one on one vs. Jones and if you're going to bracket him, you need someone who can jam him and compete with his leaping.

That said, Rowe has been really lucky the past few weeks. There have been a number of times he's been half a step late but his man has dropped the ball or the pass has been underthrown. I like him, and he's played pretty well, but I think he will get burned a couple times by Jones - even with help.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coverage prediction is Butler+safety on Jones, Rowe on Sanu, Ryan on Gabriel. Latter two could be switched, but I'd be wary of putting Rowe on Gabriel. Gabriel would burn him. Could also see Butler and Ryan switched. I think it would be a mistake to put Rowe on Jones, help or not. Jones would just run right by him.

I re-watched that Eagles game. There's little point in rushing 5. The O-line just picks it up. Either rush 4 and play coverage or rush 6. Sometimes the Eagles rushed 7 and got home, forcing a quick throw from Ryan, who when he had to get rid of the ball quickly almost always just tossed it up in Jones' direction. Patriots could win themselves an INT with a well-timed blitz combined with anticipatory coverage. Also, Coleman didn't play in that game. He and Freeman catching out of the backfield will be a challenge. Patriots will have to be sure tacklers, which they have been all season. Julio also had a few drops in that game and the Falcons had some untimely penalties. In other words, keeping the Falcons to a reasonable score will require no giveaways, a near-perfect defense, and some luck.

On offense, I think Lewis and White could have big games. Atlanta struggles against the quicker backs, and struggles to cover them in the passing game. Blount could have some big gains too if he just follows the damn double-team block instead of dancing in the backfield. Brady has to be wary of Poole, the slot corner who likes to come in on that blindside blitz. He nailed Rodgers a couple times and hit Wentz once in the Eagles game.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Starless wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

The RB's will eat up the D. I think that's probably a given. The Pats will likely use the DE's or the LB's to pound the RB's at the LOS and disrupt them from their routes - same that they used to do to Faulk or James. But there will be plenty of dump offs and frustrating 5-15 yard runs from Freeman and Coleman. Not much the Pats can do about it given their lack of premier front 7 talent. You have to hope that the LB's and DB's make the tackle and clamp down on the YAC.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

childofpudding wrote:
My coverage prediction is Butler+safety on Jones, Rowe on Sanu, Ryan on Gabriel. Latter two could be switched, but I'd be wary of putting Rowe on Gabriel. Gabriel would burn him. Could also see Butler and Ryan switched. I think it would be a mistake to put Rowe on Jones, help or not. Jones would just run right by him.

I re-watched that Eagles game. There's little point in rushing 5. The O-line just picks it up. Either rush 4 and play coverage or rush 6. Sometimes the Eagles rushed 7 and got home, forcing a quick throw from Ryan, who when he had to get rid of the ball quickly almost always just tossed it up in Jones' direction. Patriots could win themselves an INT with a well-timed blitz combined with anticipatory coverage. Also, Coleman didn't play in that game. He and Freeman catching out of the backfield will be a challenge. Patriots will have to be sure tacklers, which they have been all season. Julio also had a few drops in that game and the Falcons had some untimely penalties. In other words, keeping the Falcons to a reasonable score will require no giveaways, a near-perfect defense, and some luck.

On offense, I think Lewis and White could have big games. Atlanta struggles against the quicker backs, and struggles to cover them in the passing game. Blount could have some big gains too if he just follows the damn double-team block instead of dancing in the backfield. Brady has to be wary of Poole, the slot corner who likes to come in on that blindside blitz. He nailed Rodgers a couple times and hit Wentz once in the Eagles game.

Eric Rowe is pretty fast. He ran a 4.4 at the combine and reportedly had private workouts (grain of salt and all that) running 4.3. He's faster than either Butler or Ryan.

I know he plays like Browner with the grabbing and people are lazily drawing that comparison, but Rowe is a good athlete. His instincts are where he gets in trouble. But he has the strength to jam Jones and the recovery speed to catch up if Jones gets off the jam quickly.
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more optimistic about the run D. They had Le'Veon Bell bottled up pretty well while he was in the game yesterday (longest run was 6 yards) and while the combination of Freeman and Coleman present a different set of challenge (Freeman is particularly effective getting around the edge), I'm confident enough in the ability of this team to tackle at the second level that I don't think the Falcons will be able to control the pace of play with their running game.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
childofpudding wrote:

Eric Rowe is pretty fast. He ran a 4.4 at the combine and reportedly had private workouts (grain of salt and all that) running 4.3. He's faster than either Butler or Ryan.

I know he plays like Browner with the grabbing and people are lazily drawing that comparison, but Rowe is a good athlete. His instincts are where he gets in trouble. But he has the strength to jam Jones and the recovery speed to catch up if Jones gets off the jam quickly.

I could be mistaken about his speed, so maybe it's just his technique or quickness. I don't know. It just seems like there's a couple times every game where the WR gets behind him and he's lucky it wasn't a big reception. Could be my bias - he has gotten better and done better than I expected, but I'm still just not a big fan. Would rather have Butler+McCourty or Ryan+McCourty on Jones.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

childofpudding wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
childofpudding wrote:

I could be mistaken about his speed, so maybe it's just his technique or quickness. I don't know. It just seems like there's a couple times every game where the WR gets behind him and he's lucky it wasn't a big reception. Could be my bias - he has gotten better and done better than I expected, but I'm still just not a big fan. Would rather have Butler+McCourty or Ryan+McCourty on Jones.

Thing is, you can't allocate your two best DB's (Butler and McCourty) to one guy with Sanu and Gabriel (and Freeman) still out there. If Jones is drawing bracket coverage, you need to match him up with a non-Butler CB. Rowe is bigger, stronger and faster than Ryan, although has worse instincts and technique.

Really depends on how well they think Rowe and Ryan match up with Sanu or Gabriel.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49

Jump to: