Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Way too early mock draft 1.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoLdRuSh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Way too early mock draft 1.0 Reply with quote

In my dream scenario we would trade out of the #2 spot and add a few top 60 picks or even another 1st for next year. That won't happen until after the combine if someone falls in love with a prospect. Second best case scenario the Brown's pass on Garrett.

Players resigned:

Glen Dorsey: We need his presence in the middle to help keep blockers off our LB's.

Jeremy Kerley: Can contribute in the slot and moving the chains.

Andrew Tiller: If we move towards power blocking scheme he should get the nod to start instead of Beadles.

Players cut:

Antoine Bethea: Veteran leadership is pointless when you're 2 steps too slow and unwilling to mix it up in the run game. It's Tartt's time to shine or prove to be one of Baalke's last failures.

Ahmad Brooks: Same as Bethea. Should have been off the team 2 years ago at least.

Colin Kaepernick: New coach, new QB.

FA's added:

Zach Brown: The Bills were looking to find a depth player and lucked out. Thankfully they have a way too many FA's and a 1st round rookie at the same position. The 49ers will gladly overpay and hope he wasn't a 1 year wonder.

Terelle Pryor: No #1 WR in sight, a pass happy HC coming to town, and deep pockets makes SF the prime destination for WR's looking to cash in.

Mike Glennon: Prototype size and arm who did okay until Winston was drafted #1 overall. Maybe Shanahan can make him look like a superstar. If not, nothing is lost and we are still in the hunt for a QB next year.

Mock Draft:

1st: Myles Garrett / EDGE / Texas A&M
The Brown's continue to be the Brown's and pass up on the #1 pass rusher. 49er fan's shed tears of joy.

2nd: T.J. Watt / OLB / Wisconsin
The defense has no pass rush to speak off aside from Buckner and that simply needs to be improved.

3rd: Tyler Orlosky / OC / West Virginia
Experienced center that led one of the top rushing attacks in CFB. Will compete for the starting job from day one.

4th: Jordan Legget / TE / Clemson
McDonald was given an undeserved extension and will need to be replaced soon. Thanks to this deep TE draft we can get a great pass catcher in the middle rounds.

5th: Donnel Pumphrey / RB / SDSU
Versatile scat back that can flex out in the slot and contribute as a pass catcher.

6th: Stacy Coley / WR / Miami
Coley is speedster who isn't the most consistent hands catcher but can make difficult catches.

7th: Ben Boulware / ILB / Clemson
High motor guy who can last in the league as a special teams and spot duty.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of mocks, I don't hate it.

Players re-signed: Tiller makes sense, and I don't mind Kerley. I'd rather go after Kendall Wright, but he'd be a nice fall back and there's a good chance Wright gets overpaid.

Dorsey is old and was one of the worst nose tackles in the NFL last year. I'll pass on him and just try and find a mid round plug. This draft isn't stacked with 0 techs, but there are some decent ones around. If someone like Jaleel Johnson fell in the draft, I'd take a stab at him. Jarron Jones is also interesting, but I think that there are some legit scary injury concerns there.

Cuts:

They all make sense, but at this point, I'd probably keep Brooks. He looked much better this last year than the year prior, and there's still something left in the tank. His money is inconsequential since we have so much cap space.

Bethea, unlike Brooks, just doesn't look great. I see no reason to pay him and keep him on the bench. Kaep is a no-brainer. Time to finish that chapter of the story.

FA's:

Zach Brown. This makes a lot of sense given how bad we were there. What I like about your mock is that you pretty much acknowledge that 1, he could easily have been a one year wonder (and that defense was a mess last year, so a garbage stat collector isn't out of the realm of possibility), and that he'll likely be overpaid lol.

Pryor. I'd want to hit this position harder than just Pryor, especially since you don't do anything about it in the draft. Pryor is a very one dimensional, raw receiver right now. He should be a complimentary signing - not the main focus signing for this position.

Glennon - actually, makes a ton of sense. He did play okay as a starter, however should be noted that he was a bit of a checkdown guy in his starts. That being said, could be a great fit with KS, because so was Cousins. Then you introduce the explosive plays and mix and match them. Cousins has made it work - no reason in the world that Glennon can't have the same success.

Draft:

If Garrett is there, probably a no brainer, though I think that it is a little too optimistic that he is.

Watt...eh..since I'm good with keeping Brooks, I'm not a huge fan of this pick. I'd rather spend this on another weapon - OJ Howard or David Njoku make a lot of sense in this situation. Especially if it's Glennon and he continues his checkdown proclivities. Howard and Njoku should be RAC monsters and good red zone threats. We could also go wide receiver in John Ross (if available) or JuJu. Another inside linebacker wouldn't be the worst thing ever - yeah we'd have Bowman and Brown, but I really don't know what to expect of Bowman this year. A guy like Marcus Williams could also make a lot of sense here (I Like him more than Peppers) - If we are going to continue to keep Ward at corner and pair him with Robinson, Redmond and Brock, and we are cutting Bethea, then we actually need safety help believe it or not. Tartt has been unimpressive and hasn't really shown much to me that suggests he can be a competent safety at this level. Reid has struggled on and off and is a free agent soon.

Orlosky is a solid pick and one that makes a lot of sense.

I like Legget, especially if we bypass Howard in the second. Pumphrey has a lot of mileage on him, which is a concern, but he's a fun little piece to add and at a 5th it's fair.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruh I don't think Boulware will be around in the 7th

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
AustrianNiner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:

Agree, would be an interesting pick though, especially if we haven't picked an ILB until late, he's someone to look at.

Other than that I like Ryan Anderson more than Watt, but I guess there are a lot of interesting options there. We'll see if and how far McKinley drops because of his injury.

Also would like to pick a WR earlier than 6th tbh. While I'd like to draft a C too for me it isn't that high on the priority list and I'd rather look for a C in FA.
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustrianNiner wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:

Agree, would be an interesting pick though, especially if we haven't picked an ILB until late, he's someone to look at.

Other than that I like Ryan Anderson more than Watt, but I guess there are a lot of interesting options there. We'll see if and how far McKinley drops because of his injury.

Also would like to pick a WR earlier than 6th tbh. While I'd like to draft a C too for me it isn't that high on the priority list and I'd rather look for a C in FA.

also Lawrence Timmons is available in free agency if we are looking for a proven ILB to play next to BO.....then again we have no clue what our defensive scheme is going to look like until shanahan hires his staff.

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:

Every year this type of thing gets said, and every year players fall well beyone where they were projected to go. Last year, there is no way I would have expected Keyarris Garrett to get past the third, and the guy wound up going undrafted.

However, I do appreciate that you didn't say "there's no way" - that statement gets tossed around every year and is proven wrong every year. Your statement is more a statement of doubt, and I like that.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the 1st 3 rounds of your Mock! I would be ready to dance on BWWs' ceiling if that happened! Dancing

Garrett AND Watts? Orlovsky?! Nice.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be extremely happy if the offseason played out like this. Love the overhaul at our LB positions and although nothing drastic improvement wise on offense I'd have hope with Shanahan running his scheme they'd be atleast average if healthy. Good work though, love Garrett, Bowman, Brown and Watt all playing together though, very athletic group right there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft would be beautiful I love the positions you cover, the only one slight change I'd add is to at some point draft a QB to maybe get lucky with, you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
This draft would be beautiful I love the positions you cover, the only one slight change I'd add is to at some point draft a QB to maybe get lucky with, you never know.

I'd agree with this and we have another 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th so I'd love to see a QB, another WR and maybe two out three at FB, NT and S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I'd agree with this and we have another 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th so I'd love to see a QB, another WR and maybe two out three at FB, NT and S

I would be happy with the selections. Like Fureys mentioned we have some additional picks that we are able to pick up additional pieces like a NT and S depth. I wouldn't even mind getting a CB, I know thats something that we always draft because of Baalke's fascination with them, but besides Robinson and Ward, nobody really stood out. Plus this year is deep at DB (or is it just the top half)? Brock didn't play that great. Maybe a lot of those things will change with a decent pass rush and maybe Redmond is the real deal once he comes off of IR?
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Way too early mock draft 1.0 Reply with quote

GoLdRuSh wrote:
In my dream scenario we would trade out of the #2 spot and add a few top 60 picks or even another 1st for next year. That won't happen until after the combine if someone falls in love with a prospect. Second best case scenario the Brown's pass on Garrett.

Players resigned:

Glen Dorsey: We need his presence in the middle to help keep blockers off our LB's.

Andrew Tiller: If we move towards power blocking scheme he should get the nod to start instead of Beadles.

Players cut:

Antoine Bethea: Veteran leadership is pointless when you're 2 steps too slow and unwilling to mix it up in the run game. It's Tartt's time to shine or prove to be one of Baalke's last failures.

Ahmad Brooks: Same as Bethea. Should have been off the team 2 years ago at least.

FA's added:

Zach Brown: The Bills were looking to find a depth player and lucked out. Thankfully they have a way too many FA's and a 1st round rookie at the same position. The 49ers will gladly overpay and hope he wasn't a 1 year wonder.

Terelle Pryor: No #1 WR in sight, a pass happy HC coming to town, and deep pockets makes SF the prime destination for WR's looking to cash in.

Mike Glennon: Prototype size and arm who did okay until Winston was drafted #1 overall. Maybe Shanahan can make him look like a superstar. If not, nothing is lost and we are still in the hunt for a QB next year.

Mock Draft:

The Brown's continue to be the Brown's and pass up on the #1 pass rusher. 49er fan's shed tears of joy.

The defense has no pass rush to speak off aside from Buckner and that simply needs to be improved.

Experienced center that led one of the top rushing attacks in CFB. Will compete for the starting job from day one.

McDonald was given an undeserved extension and will need to be replaced soon. Thanks to this deep TE draft we can get a great pass catcher in the middle rounds.

Versatile scat back that can flex out in the slot and contribute as a pass catcher.

Coley is speedster who isn't the most consistent hands catcher but can make difficult catches.

I like everything about this ... one minor exception is Brooks. As much as many don't like him, he's still the best OLB we've got. If your pick of Watt works out I'm more than happy to let him go the following year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Way too early mock draft 1.0 Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
GoLdRuSh wrote:

Players resigned:

Players cut:

FA's added:

Mock Draft:

I like everything about this ... one minor exception is Brooks. As much as many don't like him, he's still the best OLB we've got. If your pick of Watt works out I'm more than happy to let him go the following year.

I feel like Brooks is just good enough to take playing time away from a young guy who could benefit from it, but not good enough to make a difference. He'll be 33. Do we really need him? Is he such a great mentor that we need to keep him so that the young guys learn from him? Judging by the progress our OLBs have made in recent years (albeit, with a limited talent pool), I'd just cut him and bring in another veteran OLB. We don't need to cut him as a financial move, but what does he bring to the team, other than slightly above average performance, and the occasional offside?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
GoLdRuSh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input.

On Brooks I can't justify him taking up a starting spot more than anything. He doesn't do anything well anymore and will prevent others from getting much needed playing time. I rather go through the growing pains of a rookie than watch Brooks be mediocre another year.

For the 2nd round pick I couldn't really decide between WR, OLB, or just double dipping at ILB. I really think we should add another ILB if McMillan falls out of the 1st round or even go with Jarrad Davis because Bowman is treading injury-prone status.

Lastly Ben Boulware is a good CFB linebacker but he doesn't have the athleticism or size to consistently do it in the NFL. He has the instincts, aggressiveness, and tackling ability to stick around but without the physical traits he will be a late round selection.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Way too early mock draft 1.0 Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
GoLdRuSh wrote:

Players resigned:

Players cut:

FA's added:

Mock Draft:

I feel like Brooks is just good enough to take playing time away from a young guy who could benefit from it, but not good enough to make a difference. He'll be 33. Do we really need him? Is he such a great mentor that we need to keep him so that the young guys learn from him? Judging by the progress our OLBs have made in recent years (albeit, with a limited talent pool), I'd just cut him and bring in another veteran OLB. We don't need to cut him as a financial move, but what does he bring to the team, other than slightly above average performance, and the occasional offside?

This is a good point. I think there's always an issue in a rebuilidng year about how much credibility you want to achieve quickly vs your long term plan for the team. It's true as you point out for the OLB positionn. But that's kind of a drop in the bucket compared to the same question about playing a young QB, assuming we draft one, vs acquiring and starting a more established, but older, veteran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: