Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion - Formerly FFMD, now... regular.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasus83

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Offseason Discussion - Formerly FFMD, now... regular. Reply with quote

Tentative Staff Positions:

GM - Lasus83
AGM - burnoutonme
Head Coach - Panthers11
Capologist -
Director of College Scouting - Toughguy77
President of Player Personnel -
Director of Media Relations -
National Scout - pcow1

Positions to be finalized by EOD 2.6.17. Positions are subject to debate and anyone can run for any position (including/especially GM).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I would be happy with several scenarios if they played out. I think it would depend on what fell into our lap on draft day on how my roster would shake out, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Cut: Paul Soliai - DT (Saves $2.5M), Ed Dickson - TE (Saves $2.05M), Mike Tolbert - FB (Saves $1.725M) 

Re-sign: KK Short - DT, Mario Addison - DE, Leonard Johnson - CB

Possible re-sign, but keeping on the back burner until after the draft/FA plays out: Mike Remmers - OT (Depth purposes, not to start), Charles Johnson - DE, Ted Ginn - WR, Kyle Love - DT, Chris Scott - OL

FA Targets: Jerome Felton - FB, Kyle Juszczyk - FB, Jack Doyle - TE, DeSean Jackson - WR, Kendall Wright - WR, Marquise Goodwin - WR, Kenny Stills - WR, Matt Kalil - OT, Riley Reiff - OT, Menelik Watson, OT, Jason Pierre-Paul - DE, Jabaal Sheard - DE, Andre Branch - DE, William Gholston - DE, Captain Munnerlyn - CB, Stephon Gilmore - CB, Morris Claiborne - CB, Eric Berry - S, Tony Jefferson - S, D.J. Swearinger - S, John Cyprien - S, Matt Elam - S

Draft Targets: Round 1 (Pick 1.8) Jamal Adams - S, Malik Hooker - S, Soloman Thomas - DE, Derek Barnett - DE, Dalvin Cook - RB, Leonard Fournette - RB, Teez Tabor - CB

Round 2 (Pick 2.8 - 40: Taco Charlton - DE, Garett Bolles - OT, JuJu Smith-Schuster - WR, Carl Lawson - DE, DeMarcus Walker - DE, Budda Baker - FS, Marcus Williams, FS, ArDarius Stewart - WR, David Njoku - TE, Roderick Johnson - OT 

Round 3 (3.8 - 72 and additional pick): Desmond King - FS, Adam Bisnowaty - OT, Pat Elflien - C/G, Jordan Leggett - TE, Bucky Hodges - TE, Dion Dawkins - OT, Chidobe Awuzle - CB, Justin Evans - SS, Tanoh Kpassagnon - DE, Eddie Jackson - SS, Jake Butt - TE, Josh Harvey-Clemons, D'Onta Foreman - RB, Marlon Mack - RB

With all of that said, I think you can form solid starting units on both sides of the ball while not breaking the bank too much. Depending on how things fall, I would be happy with any of these players starting

LT - Oher/Kalil
LG - Norwell
C- Kalil
RG - Turner
RT - Reiff/Kalil/Watson/Bolles/Johnso
QB - Cam
FB - Felton/Juszcyk
RB - Stewart/Fournette/Cook
WR1 - KB
WR2 - Jackson/Wright/Funchess
TE - Olsen - TE2 - Doyle/Njok

Defense
RE - Sheard/Addison/Barnett
DT - Star
DT - KK Short
LE - Gholston/Barnett/Charlton
LB - Luke
LB - TD
LB - Shaq
SS - Adams/Jefferson/Cyprien/Coleman/Evans
FS - Coleman/Hooker/Swearinger
CB1 - Bradberry
CB2 - Gilmore/Claiborne/Tabor/Worley
Nickle - Munnerlyn/Worley/Johnson

-----
Above analysis stolen from a poster at CH but I felt it relevant to us in the upcoming FFMD... and, to an equally important extent, IRL.

As role's are not assigned, I titled this accordingly.

I do not completely agree with all of the above but I am about 90% on board. This analysis was done with the mindset of keeping the targets and expectations relatively realistic.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager

Last edited by Lasus83 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Lasus83

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First couple thoughts are that we need to expand the big board to include 1st round players that have the potential to drop.

Allen, Garret (albeit unlikely)and Foster. The same should be said with round 2. No need to eliminate a player like Howard if there is even the possibility of him falling... it could prove to incite a trade up or trade down scenario.

I think the KK tag is a foregone conclusion at this point. Try to work something out with him but we should simply expect him to be tagged in 2017.

Also, I am of the firm opinion that Jstew is ripe for restructure. Many have (as have I) stated that he is ripe to be cut.

However, if you look back, he was out 3 games each of the last 3 years. That is average for NFL RBs. His main 2 injury seasons came directly before that (IIRC) and he is, when healthy, a great RB for us. I don't think I will refer to him as oft-injured anymore.

He is 30, played here his whole NFL career and should prove very willing to stay in Carolina on a team friendly deal.

That is not to say that RB should not be a target/need of ours. Instead, it remains just as much a need/target with or without Jstew. I believe we need to get back to the days of a 2-feature-back system. Jstew/Fournette excites the hell out of me.

Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whelp... since this is such a lively conversation:

Potential Cut's/cap savings. Figures from overthecap.com.

Jonathan Stewart - 3.5M dead - 4.75M Savings
Gano - 750k dead - 3.25M Savings
Paul Soliai - 1M dead - 2.5M Savings
Andy Lee - 0 dead - 3.433M savings
Ed Dickson - 666k dead - 2M savings
Tolbert - 350k Dead - 1.725M savings
Scott Simonson - 0 dead - 690k savings
L.J. McCray - 0 dead - 665k savings
CAP - 83k dead - 573k dead

CAP was about as low as I was willing to go.

I'm not saying we "should" cut the above players. But they are the one's that jumped out to me when I was reading the below:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers/

burnoutonme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take care of a prelim BB as well as passing the doc along for approval by a mod. Should have it up tonight and shared on the drive.

TCMD 2017 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2016 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2015 Carolina Panthers AGM
Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers "top" Free Agents:

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/carolina-panthers/

need discussion on who to offer and what to offer.

Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
I'll take care of a prelim BB as well as passing the doc along for approval by a mod. Should have it up tonight and shared on the drive.

I need a soft copy emailed to my work. Work PC does not like google doc's.

burnoutonme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the examples you listed of players who could save us money.

My general outlook on our offseason is that we have a hefty amount of cap space, and I don't feel particularly motivated to cut anyone unless it would save us a material amount of money, or if we need a roster spot (though I don't think that they place roster limits on FFMD.)

That said, my thoughts;

I'm not a fan of cutting Stewart at all. Most of the reasons you touched on above. He's been as healthy as your average workhorse RB the past few years, and he's still playing really well, in my opinion.

Meh. It wouldn't kill me at all, but I would want to cut Gano after signing another Kicker prospect. There are a few FA kickers who would be worth looking into this offseason. I don't want to delve too far into that on a public forum without using codes, if we're going that route.

Done and done. Self evident truth IMO.

He was our MVP before going down Laughing , so I'm not into the idea of cutting him at all.

Major whatever right here. Wouldn't bother me.

I'd like to upgrade on Tolbert this offseason. This wouldn't bother me. He's lost his effectiveness, in spite of his pro bowl "award."

This would be okay, but it wouldn't help much. I'd just say leave him.

Not a huge CAP fan, but, just like the others, I don't see reason to cut him unless it came down to roster size or something. He at least has scheme continuity.

Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
My thoughts on the examples you listed of players who could save us money.

My general outlook on our offseason is that we have a hefty amount of cap space, and I don't feel particularly motivated to cut anyone unless it would save us a material amount of money, or if we need a roster spot (though I don't think that they place roster limits on FFMD.)

That said, my thoughts;

I'm not a fan of cutting Stewart at all. Most of the reasons you touched on above. He's been as healthy as your average workhorse RB the past few years, and he's still playing really well, in my opinion.

Meh. It wouldn't kill me at all, but I would want to cut Gano after signing another Kicker prospect. There are a few FA kickers who would be worth looking into this offseason. I don't want to delve too far into that on a public forum without using codes, if we're going that route.

Done and done. Self evident truth IMO.

He was our MVP before going down :lol: , so I'm not into the idea of cutting him at all.

Major whatever right here. Wouldn't bother me.

I'd like to upgrade on Tolbert this offseason. This wouldn't bother me. He's lost his effectiveness, in spite of his pro bowl "award."

Not a huge CAP fan, but, just like the others, I don't see reason to cut him unless it came down to roster size or something. He at least has scheme continuity.

I pretty much agree with all of the above.

If we run into a roster size or need more cap room we have ammo to move around. I can't imagine us needing more cap room... but, never know. There's a good 12-17M that can be cut without much penalty and that does not include the rest (10ish players) of the list of zero-dead/ .5M savings players that are laying around filling out the 53.

One big thing we will deal with is our UFAs. I believe I read that there are a certain number of players we can offer a contract to in FFMD (I'll read this specific section more later).

KK almost seems like a no-brainer tag... especially if it is going to keep us from being able to offer a contract to someone we really value... like Remmers :lol:

Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can re-sign 1 UFA... that is, we can "attempt" to re-sign 1 UFA.

I would vote Norwell. Should come cheap and stays healthy.

Tag for KK, IMO.

After that, all our UFAs go into the talent pool.

we also need to decide on our trade block and assign values.

burnoutonme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:

Tag for KK, IMO.

Norwell???? Norwell should not a be an UFA...

eidt: he should be considered an RFA, and I'd honestly tender him at a pretty high level. Not to use PFF as gospel, but they love the dude, grading him out as a top 15 OG every year he's been starting. That level of consistency has to count for something. I'd personally prefer to work out an extension with him IRL than tender him, as it'd be a 1yr deal and he'd be able to test the market next year.

Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

Tag for KK, IMO.

Norwell???? Norwell should not a be an UFA...

eidt: he should be considered an RFA, and I'd honestly tender him at a pretty high level. Not to use PFF as gospel, but they love the dude, grading him out as a top 15 OG every year he's been starting. That level of consistency has to count for something. I'd personally prefer to work out an extension with him IRL than tender him, as it'd be a 1yr deal and he'd be able to test the market next year.

apologies... you are right. He is RFA.

Addison?

Ginn?

I wouldn't think fozzy or any of the rest of the list would be a priority over Addison.

Edit to your edit: Agreed. Norwell needs to stay on this team long-term. That is a separate category, then, which will free up another RFA to be tendered.

Lasus83

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585248

Position sign up's open.

I asked to be GM. As always, if anyone wants to take the reigns than please speak up. Otherwise, please indicate the position you would like on the roster.

As always, any feedback along the way is welcome/desired and will be taken into consideration.

However, if you do not hold a staff position than your vote will not be counted in any "official" business... that is to say... cmon people!!! lets get some participation.

Positions:

- General Manager – Will make all of the final decisions and is in control of everything ranging from submitting trades to making draft picks. However, this position weighs equally amongst the staff in terms of opinion and everyone’s say should be accounted for before he determines the best route for the team. Each member will greatly influence his decisions.
- Assistant GM – 2nd in line to the GM and assists the GM in all areas. He will explore trade options around the league and all trade offers are directed through him to then announce in the war room for discussion. If the GM is unavailable the Assistant GM is able to make draft picks and post UFA bids. Only the GM and Assistant GM have this ability. Becomes the active GM in the absence of the nominated GM.
- Head Coach – Has a key part in all decisions, but his focus is mainly on the team itself, rather than looking for trade options, etc… The draft board and player targets should be of importance to him as adding players he views as a fit for his system is critical.
- Capologist – This person is in charge of maintaining and keeping tabs of the salary information of the team. At all times the team must maintain a budget in regards to the annual revenue the team brings in. The responsibility for correct figures will lie in his hands and an excel spreadsheet for constant updating is usually helpful. A 53 man roster must be maintained as well.
- Director of College Scouting – Helps decide needs and works with the national scouts to develop a big board for the draft.
- President of Player Personnel – Is responsible for developing a free agency target list. Projecting trades with other teams and reviewing players on all levels both college and pro.
- Director of Media Relations -- Will report to the writers with feedback and information relative to the news of what is happening with the organization.
- National Scout -- Will evaluate draftable players. This can be position specific or not. RB scout will look into RB’s, LB scout will look into potential LB’s to add to the team.

burnoutonme

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585248

Position sign up's open.

I asked to be GM. As always, if anyone wants to take the reigns than please speak up. Otherwise, please indicate the position you would like on the roster.

As always, any feedback along the way is welcome/desired and will be taken into consideration.

However, if you do not hold a staff position than your vote will not be counted in any "official" business... that is to say... cmon people!!! lets get some participation.

Positions:

- General Manager – Will make all of the final decisions and is in control of everything ranging from submitting trades to making draft picks. However, this position weighs equally amongst the staff in terms of opinion and everyone’s say should be accounted for before he determines the best route for the team. Each member will greatly influence his decisions.
- Assistant GM – 2nd in line to the GM and assists the GM in all areas. He will explore trade options around the league and all trade offers are directed through him to then announce in the war room for discussion. If the GM is unavailable the Assistant GM is able to make draft picks and post UFA bids. Only the GM and Assistant GM have this ability. Becomes the active GM in the absence of the nominated GM.
- Head Coach – Has a key part in all decisions, but his focus is mainly on the team itself, rather than looking for trade options, etc… The draft board and player targets should be of importance to him as adding players he views as a fit for his system is critical.
- Capologist – This person is in charge of maintaining and keeping tabs of the salary information of the team. At all times the team must maintain a budget in regards to the annual revenue the team brings in. The responsibility for correct figures will lie in his hands and an excel spreadsheet for constant updating is usually helpful. A 53 man roster must be maintained as well.
- Director of College Scouting – Helps decide needs and works with the national scouts to develop a big board for the draft.
- President of Player Personnel – Is responsible for developing a free agency target list. Projecting trades with other teams and reviewing players on all levels both college and pro.
- Director of Media Relations -- Will report to the writers with feedback and information relative to the news of what is happening with the organization.
- National Scout -- Will evaluate draftable players. This can be position specific or not. RB scout will look into RB’s, LB scout will look into potential LB’s to add to the team.

just give me all of teh unfilled positions i figuire

burnoutonme

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on second thought, i just signed brian hoyer in my tmcd jags mock, you don't want none of this, dewey

Toughguy77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up for Director of college scouting

Carolina Panthers
Gamecocks 2017 Final Four
Forever To Thee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: