Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers hire Gus Bradley as DC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Chargers hire Gus Bradley as DC Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Xenos wrote:
I feel that Bradley is a bad hire. Does he even have a 3-4 background, let alone any experience running a one gap 3-4 scheme? What exactly does he bring other than the fact that he ran Pete Carroll's defensive scheme in Seattle?

https://twitter.com/sdutGehlken/status/822641986549202949

Also Ollie Wilson has also been let go (there you go LBC). almost 3 year
https://twitter.com/sdutGehlken/status/822573146146557952

Chargers haven't run a 1-gap 3-4 for a majority of their snaps in 3 years. Pagano ran a 4-3 Over, not all that dissimilar from what Bradley/Carroll/Quinn (and a number of coordinators around the league use - as it's really not all that different from what Wade Phillips' defense was the last couple seasons with Denver, aside from one or two shifts in gap assignments).

Moreover, and probably one of the main reasons the Chargers haven't run a pure 3-4 1-gap scheme lately, the team hasn't had an 7T or 9T edge-rusher who can consistently get home to the tune of 12+ sacks per season since they allowed Shaun Phillips to move on - and even that was debatable, as IIRC he topped out at 10 sacks in his last couple seasons.

Considering that a majority of teams across the league operate out of nickel or dime packages for 60+ percent of their snaps nowadays, 1) This alleged change in scheme (which isn't actually a change in scheme) isn't really that significant and 2) it fits the personnel the Chargers have better than running a pure 1-gap 3-4 would. To my knowledge, in Bradley's scheme no one is going to ask Bosa to 2-gap in the traditional sense (not like he couldn't), he's still going to play the same 4-Tech that he did a majority of last season's snaps. Liuget, until they can replace him and unload that contract, is a more natural 3-Tech than he is a 5-Tech, so the scheme plays to his strengths. And Mebane has played the exact role in this scheme that he'll be asked to play... for this exact same coordinator. Morevoer - though I doubt they'll do it - the scheme makes it easier to not feel forced into giving Melvin Ingram $10m+/yr that he'll no doubt be commanding, because there really isn't a great natural fit in the scheme for him (LEO, I suppose, but honestly a more natural speed-rusher like Attaochu projects better there), and is there really anything he brings to the SLB position that someone like Jatavis wouldn't project just as well at if not better... and even if you opt to line Jatavis up at WILL, Toomer has shown to project just as well at SLB as Ingram would at a fraction of the cost.

What this scheme will require is a near-the-line safety that can actually man-up on TE's and RB's, which the team really doesn't have right now. And a deep centerfielder - which they could definitely stand to improve upon.

I think you completely missed the point of my post. Ollie Wilson is finally fired! Let that sink in for a second Wink
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see the Chargers make another lackluster hire (of course, just my opinion). I didn't even think Bradley was a special DC. Dan Quinn is the one who took that Seattle Defense to a whole nother level.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious Q - when the Chargers took Bosa half the fans were upset because they saw him as best suited for a 4-3. Verrett is a natural at press. Perryman seems made for the Mike. Brown would thrive at the Will. And at #7 you could see Chargers get Adams or Hooker and really upgrade the position for a Cover 3.

So my Q - why is a 4-3 seen as a bad fit? Personnel wise I think outside of Heyward who only has 1 year left it fits their core players.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Serious Q - when the Chargers took Bosa half the fans were upset because they saw him as best suited for a 4-3. Verrett is a natural at press. Perryman seems made for the Mike. Brown would thrive at the Will. And at #7 you could see Chargers get Adams or Hooker and really upgrade the position for a Cover 3.

So my Q - why is a 4-3 seen as a bad fit? Personnel wise I think outside of Heyward who only has 1 year left it fits their core players.

A lot of those Charger fans (regarding Bosa) don't quite understand the semantics of schemes. We didn't run a "traditional" 3-4, but rather the "under" variant. It isn't like we had a Defense like the early '00's Pats: a "0" Nose Tackle (i.e. Wilfork) with two "5 Tech" Defensive Ends (i.e. Richard Seymour and Ty Warren). Mebane was brought in to play as a Nose Tackle but rather the shaded 1 Technique, Liuget played as a DT / 3 Tech with Bosa as the DE. Ingram/Attaouchu (in the previous regime's "doghouse") and Kyle Emmanual were out EDGE's.

A lot of these people thought Bosa was going to strictly play either as a "two gapping" 5 Tech OR they thought he would convert to an OLB/EDGE and play "in space". While he has shown the ability to play all along the D-Line, and even some OLB this past year-he will likely be playing at Defenisve End in base Defense with the potential to "kick inside" during Nickel.

The past few years we ran around 66% of sub packages (Nickel/Dime) and had an "even" front, with four down lineman. Bosa played a lot of snaps this year as a true Defensive End, but people still read the whole "3-4" thing and complain. Bosa does have the technique and "stoutness" to play as the 4i, but I still think his most "natural" fit is at Defensive End (preferrably Left End) similar to guys like Chris Long, Ansah, Patrick Kerney, Grant Wistrom, etc.

Clowney was used as more of a "down" lineman this year with the Texans instead of a 3-4 Backer and had much more success. Actually he and Bosa are pretty similar in their ability to play the run, although Bosa had the better sack #'s this year Laughing

I think our personnel will actually transition very well, although the Corners are probably the biggest question mark (not talent, but rather scheme fit due to size).
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol WTF. How is this a lackluster hire? He was the best DC in the game at Seattle. He might not have had it as an HC, but this is definitely a great hire.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
lol WTF. How is this a lackluster hire? He was the best DC in the game at Seattle. He might not have had it as an HC, but this is definitely a great hire.
Correction: He had the best defense in the NFL for one season in Seattle. The defense then continued to get better after he left.

That does not mean he was the best DC.

Live life like you're down 3-1
OleXmad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheme isn't the biggest concern here, What Gus runs will more or less be what the chargers ran for the past few years with a few tweaks.

Gus Bradley isn't the best DC in the world, but he did manage to get the jacksonville defense up to a solid level plus his experience in Seattle (You can say he just piggy backed off an amazing defense) but he was there before Carrol was hired and was definitely a part of it becoming an elite stop unit.

Solid hire for the chargers, Anthony Lynn did some smart moves by keeping on the offensive staff and getting a good DC, Sadly it'll all be a waste because Injuries/Their stadium is a joke/Why did they move.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully for the Chargers Bradley does better as their DC than he did as head coach of the Jaguars. Be interesting to see what happens.
Haitch Who?
God Bless You

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally in the well it's not Pagano or Rob Ryan boat.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

Funny enough, he joined the Raiders today in an Asstant HC - Defense role... whatever that means.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Funny enough, he joined the Raiders today in an Asstant HC - Defense role... whatever that means.

It means we get to see Khalil Mack dropping into coverage on Tyreek Hill next season... Twisted Evil

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

It means we get to see Khalil Mack dropping into coverage on Tyreek Hill next season... Twisted Evil

You're a sick, sick person.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
The LBC wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

The sad part is... I'm not joking.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
The LBC wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

The sad part is... I'm not joking.

Hey. I actually liked Pagano a lot when he was with the chargers. Don't turn this into something bad Confused

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

I think it means he'll be a cheerleader which he is actually good at.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: