Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kyle Shanahan??? quarterback moves???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
If the Redskins FO really likes a QB at in this draft, then I think it is very possible they trade Cousins. But if not, they probably hold on to him for another year and see what happens.

From the scuttlebutt, they want to keep him but would be amenable to trading him....to a team not named the 49ers Laughing Dan Snyder's hate is real.

But yeah, they should be at least looking at quarterbacks in this draft to prepare. Or re-sign RG3 Very Happy

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
If the Redskins FO really likes a QB at in this draft, then I think it is very possible they trade Cousins. But if not, they probably hold on to him for another year and see what happens.

From the scuttlebutt, they want to keep him but would be amenable to trading him....to a team not named the 49ers Laughing Dan Snyder's hate is real.

But yeah, they should be at least looking at quarterbacks in this draft to prepare. Or re-sign RG3 Very Happy

After the Brock trade I could see Cleveland trading for Cousins at "below" market value. The way they shored up their Oline Kirk might even be inclined to sign long term with them if he plays there.

Even crazier idea is that the Browns trade him to us the minute they get him from DC.

Browns give #12 receive Cousins + 2018 3rd

Niners give #2 receive Cousins + #33 + 2018 2nd (they have 3 that year)

Essentially the Browns are trading #12 #33 and a 2018 2nd for #2 and a 2018 3rd.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Cousins can keep getting tagged X amount of times indefinitely right? I mean not indefinitely, but theoretically he can get tagged again after 2017 at the detriment of the rest of the roster. Is any player really a free agent in the NFL if teams don't want them to be because of the tag options for teams? I legitimately wonder if the Redskins would be so petty to take Cousins "down with the ship" as long as they can so to speak.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Cousins can keep getting tagged X amount of times indefinitely right? I mean not indefinitely, but theoretically he can get tagged again after 2017 at the detriment of the rest of the roster. Is any player really a free agent in the NFL if teams don't want them to be because of the tag options for teams? I legitimately wonder if the Redskins would be so petty to take Cousins "down with the ship" as long as they can so to speak.

Pretty sure they can only tag him one more time, for 1/5 of the teams salary at 34 mil or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

The max franchise tags are 3 that you can put on a quarterback. The cost is pretty astronomical the third time - I think next year it would be set at 34 million for 1 year? I believe that quarterback is the only position that can be tagged 3 times. the rest are all 2.

I'm not sure if the transition tag counts as a franchise tag, though I imagine that they are grouped together. So they have one more tag left to use on him.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:
Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Pretty sure they can only tag him one more time, for 1/5 of the teams salary at 34 mil or something.

On the franchise tag, yes. The transition tag will be slightly cheaper at like 28 million and some change, but obviously no compensation if you don't match his offer and he signs elsewhere.

John232

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event we get the first overall pick next year, do we go with Darnold or Cousins?

xsaMainevent on the sig
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
In the event we get the first overall pick next year do we go with Darnold or Cousins?

Too early to say truthfully. Darnold looked great this year, but he's not a transcendent prospect or anything yet. If he plateaus a bit this year, he may not even be the first quarterback off the board if someone like Rosen puts a strong season together. There are a couple of noteworthy non quarterbacks at the top of next years draft if you sign Cousins - Mike McGlinchey will be up there (I really doubt a regression coming there - Notre Dame's oline staff is second to none) as will Arden Key at major positional spots.

PapaShogun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:
Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

The max franchise tags are 3 that you can put on a quarterback. The cost is pretty astronomical the third time - I think next year it would be set at 34 million for 1 year? I believe that quarterback is the only position that can be tagged 3 times. the rest are all 2.

I'm not sure if the transition tag counts as a franchise tag, though I imagine that they are grouped together. So they have one more tag left to use on him.
Guessing that is something that was put into the last CBA? That is really stupid. I mean three times is seems ridiculous, and the Redskins may actually do it because "I win".

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chick Hernandez‏Verified account
@CHICKatCSN

Follow
More
Source close to the Cousins camp tells me as long as Bruce Allen is team president , he will NOT negotiate a long term deal. #redskins

So they do have hope - they just need to fire Bruce Allen Laughing

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Quote:
@CHICKatCSN

Follow
More
Source close to the Cousins camp tells me as long as Bruce Allen is team president , he will NOT negotiate a long term deal. #redskins

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

Does this change anything????????
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
In the event we get the first overall pick next year, do we go with Darnold or Cousins?

To me the answer is Cousins (providing he doesn't go through some crazy level of regression), because I do not consider Darnold to be a Luck-level prospect where his floor is so high that he's almost certain to be at worst a 2nd-tier QB. So we can get a high who is pro-ready and will play here a good 5-7 years at a high-level. And that #1 would indicate that our talent level is still terrible, and Darnold would represent an improvement over Goff/Wentz last year, which means we should be able to trade that #1 overall for a similar draft haul as those two prospects got. That trade haul would then give us our QB plus likely a few other key members of the core of our roster.

Now, again - that relies on what I know of each option now in 2017. Darnold or Rosen might progress even further next season to a level where his floor is raised to the Luck-level, and then it becomes far more complicated of a decision.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Quote:
@CHICKatCSN

Follow
More

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

No. that would be Scot's replacement. Bruce Allen is team president.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Quote:
@CHICKatCSN

Follow
More

Mayock ranked Cousins behind Brandon Weeden. Let the skins have Weeden, we can take Cousins.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
John232 wrote:

To me the answer is Cousins (providing he doesn't go through some crazy level of regression), because I do not consider Darnold to be a Luck-level prospect where his floor is so high that he's almost certain to be at worst a 2nd-tier QB. So we can get a high who is pro-ready and will play here a good 5-7 years at a high-level. And that #1 would indicate that our talent level is still terrible, and Darnold would represent an improvement over Goff/Wentz last year, which means we should be able to trade that #1 overall for a similar draft haul as those two prospects got. That trade haul would then give us our QB plus likely a few other key members of the core of our roster.

Now, again - that relies on what I know of each option now in 2017. Darnold or Rosen might progress even further next season to a level where his floor is raised to the Luck-level, and then it becomes far more complicated of a decision.

For me, the chance of drafting your franchise QB for the next 12-15 years might outweigh the safety of what you're getting in Cousins for the next 5-8 years. If Kyle feels Rosen or Darnold has a fair chance of being even just equal to Cousins, I'd lean towards taking it. We know Cousins' floor, and that's a nice thing to have, but we also kinda know what his ceiling might be. If the rookies have the potential to be better, it's really hard to pass up. But... the scenario of getting a very good starting QB without having to spend draft capital at all, and using the picks we have to make this team even better is very tempting.

But that's if it's up to me. If I place myself in Kylo's shoes (not even knowing what he wears.. I'm wild!), I think the decision is a lot more obvious. There seems to be a secret handshake agreement between Kylo and Kirko. The way Kirk speaks, it seems obvious to him he wants to play for us, for Kyle, and knowing the stories behind the 2012 draft, it's fair to say Kyle likes Kirk, and the attraction is mutual. Kyle seems to be the faithful type, judging by the signing of all these former players, his and his assistants. I'm sure he'd be very faithful to Kirk and would sign him instead of drafting a QB at the top of the draft.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: