You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Off Season Plan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: 2017 Off Season Plan Reply with quote

There are a lot of things to be done in house this off season. Offensive Cord. is one of those things, but since BOB will still have his system and finger on the wheel, its really not going to matter much who we hire there.

The big thing to start with is to understand we are going to have BOB for probably 2 more seasons, which means we will probably have RAC for 2 more as well, and we need to double down on D.

The first thing we need to do is address the current players we have:

Brock - nothing we can do here, I think hes 6 million cheaper to keep than to fire, and honestly even if we can upgrade the position, he's a high end back up

Duane Brown - He can be cut clearing almost 10 million, but honestly hes still a high level LT, we need to try and restructure his deal, get his cap hit down and lock him in for a few more seasons.

Brian Cushing - We need to give Cushing a choice between restructuring at a much lower number and outright cutting him. We can save 5 million by cutting him, so that a basis for any restructure.

Karrem Jackson - hes in the same boat as Cushing. I would like to keep him, but we have to keep Bouye, so if that means cutting Jackson, we do it

DeAndre Hopkins - Apologize to him and give him a good sized deal. We have to keep him.

Chris Clark - Cut him, saves almost 3 million

Brandon Weeden - Cut him and save about 2 million

Thats about all we can do with what we currently have, but we can easily free up 15 - 20 million if we need to.

Texans Free Agents:

Resign Lechler if he wants to keep playing

Resign Bouye at all costs. Every dominate D has a lock down corner and this guy is young and on the up and up, give the man his money or franchise tag his butt

Resign Nick Novak. He had a very solid year for us, and I like not having to worry about our kicker.

Ryan Griffin - I wouldnt give him much but It would be nice to keep him around.

Look at keeping the D together as much as possible. Talk with:
Jon Simon
Quinton Demps
Akeem Dent
Devon Still

None of them are worth breaking the bank for, as we can replace them if needed. Demps should come pretty cheap, hes coming off a great season but hes up there in age.

Going into Free Agency and the Draft needs:

RT - I think our other 4 positions along the line will be solid, especially with Nick Martin coming in next season giving us some depth. RT has to be addressed in the first 3 rounds of the draft

QB - goes without saying, but I am not sure what we can do. The only options we have is to draft a guy in the first 3 rounds and hope we get lucky

NT - I like what some of our young guys flashed this season like Reader, but we are going to need Depth, so i would look to sign a guy in FA, no since in drafting a guy if Reader has potential to be a long term fit.

LB - This could be a need if we cut Cushing and dont bring back Simon. I would invest a first 3 round pick at LB if that ends up being the case, but since it looks like the plan is to play Watt and Clowney at DE, drafting another OLB is probably a good idea either way.

S - we need a really good saftey. Hal and Demps are good enough if we keep our CBs together, but we could use a young guy back there as well. Id pick one in the 4th.

I havent looked into the draft much yet, but i can tell you I would jump all over Watson if he is there at 25

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt want to make a thread for mine so here it goes

*I was going to say hire Vrabel as DC and make RAC an assistant HC and the Texans have done that today so good move.*

*Hire Tom Clements as OC when the Packer's season is over.

*Promote Rick Smith to some made up role and make Brian Gaine as GM.

Resign/Franchise Tag

CB AJ Bouye
P Shane Lechler
OLB John Simon
S Quintin Demps
K Nick Novak - competes with Kai Fairbarn for the kicker job
TE Ryan Griffin

Let go

NT Vince Wilfork- retiring
ILB Akeem Dent
DE Antonio Smith
RB Jonathan Grimes
DT Devon Still
FS Don Jones
OG Oday Aboushi
OT David Quessenberry
CB Jonathan Joseph- Cap casualty
OT Chris Clark- cap casualty
QB Brandon Weeden
WR Keith Mumphery

Restructure

ILB Brian Cushing
CB Kareem Jackson

Free agency

WR Pierre Garcon- We could use a veteran WR to go along with Hopkins and our young wr's (Strong, Fuller and Miller)

NT Dontari Poe- Not ready for DJ Reader to take over at NT for Wilfork. RAC was the one who drafted him when he was in KC so he knows him well.

Draft

1. OT Garrett Boles (Utah): Bolles is gaining steam as a guy who could shoot up draft boards. He can start for us at RT since Newton wont be back any time soon and when Duane Brown is done at LT we can move him there. Only downside is that he will be 25 years old in May and will be counted on to play right away despite only playing 1 year in the FBS.

2. QB Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech): Obviously QB is clearly our biggest need, and I have said it numurous times that I am not a fan of Texas Tech QB's as prospects but Mahomes might be the exception. He has one of if not the strongest arm in the draft. He has good size, and he is mobile. He has some flaws that need to be corrected such as making better decisions and forcing passes in areas where he shouldnt but if O'Brien is this QB guru and offensive guru like you guys claim he is, then he should be able to make Mahomes a very good QB.

3. TE Jordan Leggett (Clemson): We should give our new QB as much weapons as possible. Leggett is one of the better receiving TE's in the draft, and he could be a problem in the redzone.

4. OG Scott Quessenberry (UCLA): We need to upgrade OL as much as possible.

5. DE Jake Reploge (Purdue)

6 via the Bears. RB Elijah McGuire (Louisianna Lafeyette)

7. S Xavier Woods (LA Tech)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to draft Patrick Mahomes, if for nothing else, his deep ball accuracy.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a mock offseason of sorts using

http://overthecap.com/calculator/houston-texans/
http://www.first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

I'll start with resignings..

AJ Bouye 4yr around 9mill/yr
Quinten Demps 2yr around 2.5mill/yr
Shane Lechler 2yr around 2.5mill/yr
John Simon 2yr around 3mill/yr

Also possibly, but not necessarily Griffin, Grimes, Aboushi, Novak, Dent, Don Jones. I wouldn't pay any of those guys a whole lot more than we were paying them before.

I restructured Cush, K Jax, and released (pre June 1) Derek Newton, Tony Bergstrom, Jeff Allen, Jaelen Strong, Brandon Dunn, Denzel Rice, and something Walker, don't even remember his name but he's seemingly very overpaid according to the thing.

Skimmed through the FAs. Typically Texans don't give older players longer term contracts, or contracts of any kind in FA (Wilfork one of few exceptions in recent history). Texans also clearly have a lot of confidence in the OL coaches based on the way XSF has improved, Mancz filled in, etc. SO, I circled..

Luke Joeckel OL
Matt Kalil OL
Menelik Watson OL
Ricky Wagner OL
Kevin Zeitler OL
Chance Warmack OL
Oday Aboushi OL

Generally speaking the Texans don't go into the draft with many visible holes. With the cutting of Newton, RT becomes a must fill hole in free agency. I wouldn't mind giving Devlin a crack at basically his choice of the aforementioned players (none of whom should break the bank, and all of whom were highly touted prospects at some point or another).

I think we could probably reconfigure our OL with a few of these players for cheaper than what our 2016 OL cost.

Not a whole lot else is necessary for us in free agency in my opinion. I expect the front office to shift their focus towards extending Hopkins, Clowney, etc.

I did circle Poe. For a low price he could be a good competitor for Reader inside.

Then, given that scenario I did a mock draft in first-pick, which is broke af btw but it's fun, and got this..

Round 1 Pick 25: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
Round 3 Pick 7 (LAC): Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy
Round 3 Pick 25: Marcus Maye, FS, Florida
Round 4 Pick 3 (JAX): Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M
Round 4 Pick 6 (LAC): Julien Davenport, OT, Bucknell
Round 4 Pick 24: Artavis Scott, WR, Clemson
Round 5 Pick 38 (SEA): Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA
Round 6 Pick 4: James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh
Round 6 Pick 26 (SEA): Austin Rehkow, P, Idaho

Traded 2nd (Adoree Jackson) to JAX for high 3&4
Then traded that 3rd (Conor McDermott) to LAC for another high 3&4
Also traded 5&7 to SEA for 5&6

Last edited by PAtexansFAN99 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I want to draft Patrick Mahomes, if for nothing else, his deep ball accuracy.

I could get behind a Mahomes pick as long as we're talking 3rd round or later. Strikes me as having Hoyer/Fitz scrambling ability, smarts, and heart, but with that amazing baseball pitcher arm. I was on the sidelines for his coming out party vs. Baylor in Dallas and find it absolutely laughable that anyone ever considered Davis Webb better than this guy and any mock still including Webb over him loses all credibility (or is as ignorant as the people who think the Air Raid being run in Berkely is somehow "smarter" than the run being run in Lubbock. Then again, the Rams did take Jared Goff #1 last year, so nobody accused football people of being smart). Dude's footwork and mechanics are a disaster (with Kliffy seemingly encouraging these atrocities like he did with Johnny), but unlike Johnny or Hoyer/Fitz he's got that Favre cannon that makes up for some of his sins.

Of course, if anyone can destroy natural instincts, mitigate arm strength, and bog a QB down with superfluous minutia it's O'Brien. Regardless though - Mahomes should NOT be playing in NFL games outside of pre-season next year. Good 2-3 year project, but I suspect O'Brien knows his job security requires a QB who can step in and comprehend his offense from day one and unless we are going to start holding up giant photo boards with pictures of Beyonce, Shamrock's & Big Mac's so Fuller, Miller, and Mahomes know what they are doing out there, we need actual PRO-ready football players in here next season.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: