Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Signed G Brian Winters to an Extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:
Why is anyone bothering bringing up the contract values of players who signed their deals over a year ago when we 100% no that NFL contracts are inflating at an unprecedented rate.

Who cares if Yanda got a similar contract to Winters 2 seasons ago. If Yanda was in the same position this season he'd be getting 10 million+ a season. You all need to learn to take a step back, analyze, and chill instead of going into defcon mode every time the team does something. Its exhausting.
Mac has a history of overpaying players

I still think isn't bad. It's 7mill supposedly not 8. And that's the going rate for an anlive average G on the NFL these days. What was our other choice? I see no one mentioning that. At least we are paying a guy who's still young and trending upward. If he was 29 and trending down it'd be a whole other story. It baffles me that people were ok with Revis' money at the time but complain about a contract like this.
7 is much better than 8, but still an overpay IMO. I think he overpaid Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, and Fitz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:
Why is anyone bothering bringing up the contract values of players who signed their deals over a year ago when we 100% no that NFL contracts are inflating at an unprecedented rate.

Who cares if Yanda got a similar contract to Winters 2 seasons ago. If Yanda was in the same position this season he'd be getting 10 million+ a season. You all need to learn to take a step back, analyze, and chill instead of going into defcon mode every time the team does something. Its exhausting.

I still think isn't bad. It's 7mill supposedly not 8. And that's the going rate for an anlive average G on the NFL these days. What was our other choice? I see no one mentioning that. At least we are paying a guy who's still young and trending upward. If he was 29 and trending down it'd be a whole other story. It baffles me that people were ok with Revis' money at the time but complain about a contract like this.
7 is much better than 8, but still an overpay IMO. I think he overpaid Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, and Fitz.

Like I stated... I would love to have kept him for cheaper, but would it have been worth letting him FA and having a hole at RG over a mill or 2mill apart? I don't think so.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:

Like I stated... I would love to have kept him for cheaper, but would it have been worth letting him FA and having a hole at RG over a mill or 2mill apart? I don't think so.
We'll have to see how FA pans out. I would have preferred spending 7-8 mil elsewhere and drafting a guard in the 2nd, but again, we have to see how everything pans out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Shell is a long-term starter at RT

Remember when Wayne Hunter looked like the successor to Damien Woody?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:

Remember when Austin Howard was the true successor and Idzik let him walk in favor of Giaco?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 7 mill is about right for him. It might be a little over but no much. Once Leary and these other guards hit the market he will fall down to the top 15 to 20 money. That is about where I would put him.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:

I won't disagree with you, but Macc also has a history of making his contracts very easy to get out of after 2 or so years. I would imagine it would be the same for this deal, hopefully we get to see the contract details soon.

Whether or not we overpaid, I think we can all agree that bringing Winters back was a good move. We have 4/5 of our OL for next year set up so far, assuming Mangold stays and Shell can be our guy at RT. If we can get a quality LT then we would be in business.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:

How could any Jet fan forget Wayne Hunter? Worst Jet RT of all times.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:

I won't disagree with you, but Macc also has a history of making his contracts very easy to get out of after 2 or so years. I would imagine it would be the same for this deal, hopefully we get to see the contract details soon.

Whether or not we overpaid, I think we can all agree that bringing Winters back was a good move. We have 4/5 of our OL for next year set up so far, assuming Mangold stays and Shell can be our guy at RT. If we can get a quality LT then we would be in business.
I won't argue that bringing back Winters was a good move. I just question if it was the right move at that price point. I'm just worried about all the needs this team has.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could some of our Jets fans argue about money, when they were happy to give Fitz 12 million. How did that work out for us???
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:

I won't argue that bringing back Winters was a good move. I just question if it was the right move at that price point. I'm just worried about all the needs this team has.

I'm ok with it bc of Winters age and the direction he's trending.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:

I think it's a good move that says a lot about how our organization treats young talent. Play well and be rewarded. No more holdouts or long negotiations.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
How could some of our Jets fans argue about money, when they were happy to give Fitz 12 million. How did that work out for us???

The market is completely different for starting QBs. Apples to oranges.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Imarobot wrote:

I'm ok with it bc of Winters age and the direction he's trending.
For our sake, I just hope he keeps trending in that direction. This was his first decent year of his career. Unfortunately, it came at the best time for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Bianconero wrote:

Remember when Austin Howard was the true successor and Idzik let him walk in favor of Giaco?
Wow, yes

I really liked Howard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: