Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Draft Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Official Draft Thread Reply with quote

Well as depressing as it is, it's draft time now that the season is over.

Post about prospects, analysis and general draft stuffs

Should we go OL in the 1st? Our trench play is awful, and I don't know if Parker Ehinger is the answer. Especially since he's likely out till halfway through the season.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking ILB and interior OL have to be the top priorities. DL could be a need pending health and contract status. if we enter next season with Bailey, Howard, Poe, Jones, RNR, and whoever else, DL is solid. If we lose Poe or Bailey or Howard see setbacks, I could see DL being a high pick again. Mitchell held up VERY well against Pittsburgh, as did Nelson, so I think CB has fallen down the list of needs drastically. I could see TE or WR being on the list if the right guy is there.

I said it before, but I don't know that any single position is such a glaring need that we need to single out and draft a specific spot. I also don't think we're strong enough anywhere to rule anything out. So it should be a solid BPA draft (and free agency, for that matter), just pending some contracts and some health things. ILB is probably the closest thing to a real problem. But if you put DJ and Wilson behind a healthier and fresher and larger front 3, it doesn't look as bad. If we're looking at Wilson and Alexander or something, that looks markedly worse. It's odd to me that Mauga's name wasn't mentioned all season. I know he's not a big time guy, but his absence was definitely felt early in the season when we were desperately trying to replace his reliability.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
I'm thinking ILB and interior OL have to be the top priorities. DL could be a need pending health and contract status. if we enter next season with Bailey, Howard, Poe, Jones, RNR, and whoever else, DL is solid. If we lose Poe or Bailey or Howard see setbacks, I could see DL being a high pick again. Mitchell held up VERY well against Pittsburgh, as did Nelson, so I think CB has fallen down the list of needs drastically. I could see TE or WR being on the list if the right guy is there.

I said it before, but I don't know that any single position is such a glaring need that we need to single out and draft a specific spot. I also don't think we're strong enough anywhere to rule anything out. So it should be a solid BPA draft (and free agency, for that matter), just pending some contracts and some health things. ILB is probably the closest thing to a real problem. But if you put DJ and Wilson behind a healthier and fresher and larger front 3, it doesn't look as bad. If we're looking at Wilson and Alexander or something, that looks markedly worse. It's odd to me that Mauga's name wasn't mentioned all season. I know he's not a big time guy, but his absence was definitely felt early in the season when we were desperately trying to replace his reliability.

The thing is, we usually only deploy a 2 down lineman front. So instead of a solid 3-4, a lot of the times it's more of a weakened 4-3 front. It's an issue we've had since Crennel days. We just don't stop the run well, outside of DJ knifing into the backfield.

I don't know how to fix that outside of going into more 4-man fronts. Even if we get our DL back healthy that's still going to be an inherent issue in sub-packages.

I mean we can upgrade ILB but if blockers are constantly getting through they're going to have to be a couple of beasts to compensate.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a Mahomie

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
rjboxer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm firmly in the ILB or OG in the first 2 rounds - best available first. We need help on this O-line. We drafted Will Shields in the 3rd round with the 74th overall pick and that's what we need on the interior of this line. Problem is I think that was a bit of luck, and if there's a stud there pull the trigger.
Patrick Mahomes is going to be a great NFL quarterback. I would seriously consider him with our 1st pick if he's there.
This team is so close to being a super bowl contender. Dorsey and Reid are not the problem. We need to draft a few solid players at key positions and some decent depth at others and we're there.
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know how to fix that outside of going into more 4-man fronts
Exactly. Now is the time to go to a 4-3. The DL is closer to the QB and RB's trying to test the middle. The OL has to spread their blocking assignments out more. No DL can survive against double teams on both your DT's, which is what Sutton insists on. Chiefs LB's are quite vanilla/average for a 3-4 unit. Roster cuts should be in line with this mediocre group.
Chiefs can build a 4-3 with the pieces they have. Grab a 1st. rd. ILB and add to the DL.
valkrei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see what a new D coordinator would want to do with what we have.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Rearviewmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we should move to a defense that would leave us with

4-3 DE: Houston/Ford/Hali/????
4-3 DT: Howard/Bailey/Jones/
4-3: OLB: literally noone on the roster except maybe Ramik
4-3: ILB: Literally noone on the roster except Ramik

We have no linebackers who can play in a 4-3, not to mention how much it wastes all our best pass rushers except Chris Jones

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-
Rearviewmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you tell me to play Houston or Ford at OLB in a 4-3 I'll just delete your post b/c that's the stupidest thing in the entire world.

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
and if you tell me to play Houston or Ford at OLB in a 4-3 I'll just delete your post b/c that's the stupidest thing in the entire world.

I think Houston could handle. I think Ford would probably be a situational pass rusher in a 4-3. If we went 4-3 we'd probably need to get a true DE as well as probably 2 proper 4-3 LBs. It wouldn't go well.

Personally, I think the answer is just that we need to go base 3-4 more often. Or at least 3-3. We've run an awful lot of 2-4-5 in recent years, mostly because our interior guys were never quality pass rushers. Now, I think we could stand to have 3 down linemen, because Jones, RNR, and Bailey are all quality pass rushers at DE. It isn't a liability like it was when we had guys like Dorsey or Jackson or DeVito at DE. We ran more 3 DL sets late against Pittsburgh and it solved our run defense issues pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure Houston "could" handle it. but he wouldn't be a great player like he is now and it would waste his best attributes so it wouldn't be better for the defense. Houston would be a much better DE in a 4-3 than OLB. Ford played 4-3 DE in college and most of his productive rushes up until he became good all the sudden this year was when his hand was in the dirt. Don't think he'd hold up against the run though

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston, Ford have coverage skills. I guess so, 'cause Sutton let Houston try to catch Antonio Brown.
Houston or Ford or both can still attack the QB as needed.
We need a stud MLB which can be had in the draft.
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense is built to defend the pass. It's a passing league. I don't want to change our entire defense because of one team/player.

The Air Less Expected on 3rd down AKA the ALEX scale
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
sure Houston "could" handle it. but he wouldn't be a great player like he is now and it would waste his best attributes so it wouldn't be better for the defense. Houston would be a much better DE in a 4-3 than OLB. Ford played 4-3 DE in college and most of his productive rushes up until he became good all the sudden this year was when his hand was in the dirt. Don't think he'd hold up against the run though

My apologies. I actually thought we were talking about 4-3 DE, not 4-3 OLB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
Our defense is built to defend the pass. It's a passing league. I don't want to change our entire defense because of one team/player.
Well we're 18th in giving up pass yards. Rush defense is worse. We're 26th. So we're not championship calibre here.
I agree it's a passing league. But you can't let a L.Bell or E.Elliott get 7-9yds/carry either.
There's no "law" that says Houston/Ford can't be a part of a 5 man front to rush the passer. NFL teams jam the box all the time.

You guys love the status quo I guess. How about offering up possible solutions. Bob Sutton's defenses are killing us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: