Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tony Romo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Tony Romo? Reply with quote

There is a lot of media chatter today about Tony Romo going to Denver.

For example, Ian Rapoport twweted that the Broncos are the quarterback’s “No. 1 spot” for where he’d like to play in 2017.
Quote:
Was asked about #Cowboys’ plans for Tony Romo in 2017. No secret, #Broncos are his No. 1 spot. I’m told DEN is not inclined to trade for him

The narrative is that the Broncos need an experienced quarterback to get them back to the Super Bowl.

I think that such a trade would be bad. Romo couldn't last a full season behind the best O-line in the NFL. How could an old QB succeed in a new offensive system (and with all new coaches)?
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"[N]ot inclined" based on his expected price tag, I would think. If Järry and Romo are indeed bffs, Denver could get him at their own (!) asking price.
brutle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no thanks, now if Philly Rivers was available and he has alway's said he loves comin to the Mile High City,he can't be happy with the move..wishful thinking ???
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tony Romo but I don't really want him here. He's going to be 37 in April and hasn't play a full season since 2012.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo has the Jets written all over him. This is the type of move they make.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:

I'm not sure. I don't think Romo goes just anywhere, he'll stay in Dallas and retire as a backup or take over if Dak gets hurt or plays badly. I can see why he would want to come to Denver because we're a good team but I don't see him going to the blank-show that are the Jets.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

I'm not sure. I don't think Romo goes just anywhere, he'll stay in Dallas and retire as a backup or take over if Dak gets hurt or plays badly. I can see why he would want to come to Denver because we're a good team but I don't see him going to the blank-show that are the Jets.

He should retire, and he may not want to go there, but I could see the Jets maybe making a run. They seem to make moves to get attention (see Tebow) from time to time.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Rappaport already qualified Elway isn't likely trading for him.

Honestly, the cap implications even if he was at 8-10M, I'd pass. 37 year old brittle QB. We need to spend the $ on our OL & run D, thank you very much.

If he restructures his contract, maybe a team like HOU takes him - but no way DAL is getting a lot for him in a trade. Everyone points to Bradford trade, and realize for that to happen you need 4 things to be in place:

1. A SB contender who thinks they only need a QB (that's what MIN thought)
2. No alternatives to sign / trade for
3. No backup QB that's serviceable.
4. The team can take on the QB's cap hit.

If you don't have all 4 conditions met - you don't get a Bradford type deal. Plus, everyone also knows the Cowboys are tight in the cap - they can just wait until DAL takes a reasonable offer, or even better, releases Romo (6M saved doesn't seem like much, except when you are in the red). Cowboy fans who think they're getting a high draft pick from anyone are dreaming - other teams can wait the Cowboys out, the only 2 teams that people keep pointing to as needing a QB who are contenders (HOU & us), well, we have 2 guys we'll take at min-wage, thank you very much, and HOU can pick from other QB's who aren't going to cost nearly as much. The other 4 teams aren't contenders, so don't know how a 37 year old QB who hasn't been able to get 16 games in a season for the last 3 years is appealing.

We have alternatives & a backup that's serviceable. No thanks, and frankly, anyone who thinks it's a a positive move doesn't understand the realities of building a team with today's cap.

Last edited by Broncofan on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should sign his last contract with whoever offers the most guaranteed $$$
"I don't think he was happy with the cologne I was wearing. I was wearing a lot of it and I guess he wasn't happy with it. I was on him a lot at the end of the game so everybody doesn't like my smell."
-Von Miller
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the guy going forward is on the roster if Elway got Romo I'd lose respect for him.

Romo is a bigger choke artist than Manning was even thought to be.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. If Romo can't stay healthy behind that Cowboys offensive line, I don't think he could survive 6 weeks behind ours. Dude's 36 and made of glass. Thanks, but no thanks.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Sayre Bedinger (who???):

Quote:
Whispers that Philip Rivers does indeed want a trade out of LA, would like to work with Mike McCoy who is with #Broncos

https://twitter.com/SayreBedinger/status/821439680755462146
champ11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Per Sayre Bedinger (who???):

Quote:
Whispers that Philip Rivers does indeed want a trade out of LA, would like to work with Mike McCoy who is with #Broncos

https://twitter.com/SayreBedinger/status/821439680755462146

lol he pops up on broncos twitter. wouldn't expect him to have any inside info.

team rammy

BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give up our R1 pick for Rivers in a NY second. I hate the man, but I love the player. And it would be hilariously ironic to watch myself, and others, go from hating all the stupid [inappropriate/removed] faces he makes during the game to loving them.

But seriously, he would make us dramatically better on offense.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on the Main Forum...

Broncofan wrote:
Rivers won't go anywhere if a pay cut is involved - he made all the same noise before his extension in 2015 and said all was good when they paid him.

Why do I raise this? At a 14m cap hit he's not going to be a fit for DEN for the same reason why Romo isn't - Elway is going to upgrade OL at 2 maybe 3 spots through FA (3rd spot could be the draft) and needs a DE & NT (could be draft for NT). And we need a major run D upgrade from our 3-4 DE. If Rivers was willing to take a cut, maybe. But he won't so it's moot.

I expect if the Chargers agree to guarantee more future years (only 2017 is guaranteed after Feb. 7) all of Rivers' objections will "suddenly" go away. It's the MO from last time.

So I would first say to take these reports with a huge grain of salt given the 2015 history. A money play is very possible to guarantee more years as the motivation - it's exactly what happened in 2015.

If it were true he wants out - I wouldn't pay a first rounder - or take him TBH. If we spend 14M our OL/DL upgrade goes way down. I have no doubt he's an upgrade by himself. But without a complete revamp of our OL his statue like mobility would get him at best sacked a ton, at worst seriously injured. Add in the pick and we lose 2 trench/key player upgrades. Teams that lose the trench battles don't win championships. Our RT sucked but we were otherwise OK in 2015 and our D was elite in all facets. Getting Rivers but sacrificing 2 trench upgrades negates the QB gain.

Rivers is more intriguing than Romo for sure but the plan to stay with our cheap QB still the right one especially as we have a 3-year window to compete (Talib the only core guy who is a UFA after 2017 everyone else with us from 2017-19). T

Last edited by Broncofan on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: