Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vance Joseph-New Broncos HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoSojia wrote:
How did Steeler fans feel about the hiring of Mike Tomlin at the time?

Tomlin, at the time of his hiring, was a relative unknown. He was a DB coach for a few years before being the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator for a year, and then he was hired.

There was a lot of talk about Tomlin being able to relate to players, having great leadership skills, and being able to teach and communicate effectively.

Him and Vance Joseph share a lot of similarities in career path. Vance is taking over for a Superbowl winning HC that retired shortly after he won, just like Tomlin as well.

Tomlin inherited a franchise QB. So your argument is invalid. A HC typically is as successful as the QB leading his team. Tomlin was gifted a Superbowl winning franchise QB. 2 entirely different situations.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoSojia wrote:

Tomlin, at the time of his hiring, was a relative unknown. He was a DB coach for a few years before being the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator for a year, and then he was hired.

There was a lot of talk about Tomlin being able to relate to players, having great leadership skills, and being able to teach and communicate effectively.

Him and Vance Joseph share a lot of similarities in career path. Vance is taking over for a Superbowl winning HC that retired shortly after he won, just like Tomlin as well.

While I definitely see some parallels between the two of them (and I'll say up front, I'm a Vance fan), this is a very shortsighted look at Tomlin's situation compared to what (at least initially) looks like will be the one Vance is making for himself.

Tomlin came in appointed John Mitchell as his lieutenant - and Jon Mitchell doesn't get talked about near enough. This was a man who came up under Bear Bryant, then under Lou Holtz, and later went on to work under Belichick in Cleveland before being brought to Pittsburgh under Cowher. And he was really more of the heart and soul of that Pittsburgh defense than Lebeau (who Tomlin also retained despite having a clearly contrasting defensive philosophy to what Tomlin had shown as a coordinator).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoSojia wrote:

Here is the thread from when he was hired.

Most didn't know what to think. They just trusted the Rooneys.
AkronsWitness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I dont hate it but dont love it. I was pretty vanilla on it until I read what his former coaches, players and FO members had to say about him. It seems like there isnt a soul in the coaching world who didnt love having him on their staff and players that didnt like playing for him.

Who knows though, this seems to be a move 'for the future.' Its like they hired him because they envision him becoming the next Mike Tomlin as people pointed out because of his defensive background and apparent great ability to communicate and get thru to players.

An interesting note: He is a keynote speaker at NFL meetings. So apparently he knows his stuff pretty well if he is speaking on behalf of the NFL in front of 100s of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
BroncoSojia wrote:

I'm surprised at all the vitriol Elway is receiving, you would think with the success he's had he would have a bit of leeway with the fanbase.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what to make of this. Sure, our secondary and linebackers were atrocious this year, but it's not like he really elevated the talent we had to another level, either. We were 30th in total defense. And tbh we were about 30th in defensive talent in the league. In other words, our defense played to our expectations... he wasn't overly impressive.

Just not sure why he's getting the gig now, after a relatively unsuccessful season with us. You'd think it would hurt his resume, but I guess the reports that Denver really liked him last season were accurate.

Wish him well though, he's a nice guy from all accounts and there's a lot of coaches who vouch for him as a great young defensive mind (players seem to really like him too). Was hoping to keep him for consistency's sake, but Burke will have to do. Denver's loaded on defense, so I definitely think he will put together a better unit there. Not sure if someone could really ruin that defense regardless though lol.

Nacho Simulation Football League
AkronsWitness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncofan48 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
BroncoSojia wrote:

I'm surprised at all the vitriol Elway is receiving, you would think with the success he's had he would have a bit of leeway with the fanbase.

Broncos fanbase is spoiled rotten dude. I see the same stuff you do. We miss the playoffs 1 year and its like the sky is falling because the fans are used to winning and always being in the playoffs.

Check this out:

5 losing seasons in 37 years
22 playoff appearances in past 40 seasons
7 SB appearances--2nd most in NFL history
2nd highest winning percentage of any major sports franchise in history (Lakers #1)

The fans are not used to losing my man. Thats why you get the sky is falling fans/posters when the team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs. They are so used to the big splashy moves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
BroncoSojia wrote:

Quote:
LMAO, there's going to be some fun in Pittsburgh this year. What a horrible hire by the Pittsburgh Steelers. On the flip side, it's great for the Vikings.

Quote:
Mike Tomlin? Yikes.

This should be a mournful day for Steelers fans. Russ Grimm should have definitely been the pick.

I didn't see that coming.

Quote:
Tomlin was absolutely horrible as the Vikes defensive coordinator. Teams couldn't run the ball on the Vikes at all, yet he still managed to come up with horrible game plans every Sunday to allow teams pass on the Vikings all game. He makes absolutely no adjustments, no matter how poorly the defense gets beat. Tomlin is a moron.

Quote:
The Vikings defense is a bunch of high-priced, talented 1st round picks, and free agents. They are totally loaded on defense.

Stopping the run is great. They did that better than anyone. But even with that talent, they absolutely sucked versus the pass.

I don't think this guy is a good hire at all. With that much talent on defense, and that DL of the 2 Williams, plus the 1st rd picks Erasmus James (hurt though) and Udeze, they should have been able to stop the pass considering all those talented DBs back there brought in from other teams following Pro Bowl seasons elsewhere.

How'd Tom Brady do against them? Chad Pennington?

I think the Steelers could have done a lot better than Tomlin. Lucky for them, they have a good, veteran team that is hungry.

RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many threads we can dig up about coaching hires that people were pissed/doubtful about, and they turned out to be terrible? Hell look at the Raiders coaching hires over the past 14 years. Laughing

Saying he is Mike Tomlin 2.0 as I saw you say in a different thread doesn't make him Mike Tomlin.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
I wonder how many threads we can dig up about coaching hires that people were pissed/doubtful about, and they turned out to be terrible? Hell look at the Raiders coaching hires over the past 14 years. Laughing

Saying he is Mike Tomlin 2.0 as I saw you say in a different thread doesn't make him Mike Tomlin.

Let's not bump all of them, please... Laughing
champ11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
iLikeDefense wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Please hire Musgrave for OC Laughing

Something tells me he had little to do with Carr's success huh..

I sure as hope they do get Musgrave. That'll be hilarious! They wanted Downing apparently, but since we promoted him they'll have to settle for Musgrave. Btw I credit QB coaches John Defilippo (now the QB coach for the Eagles) and Todd Downing (now our OC) for Carr's progression much more than Musgrave.

I'm not derailing this thread from the Broncos hire, but I'll just say Joseph, Musgrave and the loss of Phillips would be a MAJOR downgrade for the Broncos.

Musgrave was calling plays right? I personally was impressed from the games I saw and the offense was obviously really good. So on the surface I would assume he did a decent job, but y'all would know much better of course.

I did see Del Rio fire a couple shots at him recently.

team rammy

goldfishwars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph is very impressive and well respected, but I am surprised they didn't get an offensive guy in all considered. OC hire is huge, you've got to have one eye on Paxton's development.
BroncoSojia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:

I never said that. I said that their career paths before becoming a HC are a bit similar.
cp0k2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkronsWitness wrote:
broncofan48 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
BroncoSojia wrote:

Broncos fanbase is spoiled rotten dude. I see the same stuff you do. We miss the playoffs 1 year and its like the sky is falling because the fans are used to winning and always being in the playoffs.

Check this out:

5 losing seasons in 37 years
22 playoff appearances in past 40 seasons
7 SB appearances--2nd most in NFL history
2nd highest winning percentage of [b]any major sports franchise in history (Lakers #1)[/b]

The fans are not used to losing my man. Thats why you get the sky is falling fans/posters when the team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs. They are so used to the big splashy moves.
How or where does that come from? Denver has the 7th highest just for the NFL.
I back my talk up in person
Go play in traffic and tear both your acl's punk
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
iLikeDefense wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Please hire Musgrave for OC Laughing

Something tells me he had little to do with Carr's success huh..

I sure as hope they do get Musgrave. That'll be hilarious! They wanted Downing apparently, but since we promoted him they'll have to settle for Musgrave. Btw I credit QB coaches John Defilippo (now the QB coach for the Eagles) and Todd Downing (now our OC) for Carr's progression much more than Musgrave.

I'm not derailing this thread from the Broncos hire, but I'll just say Joseph, Musgrave and the loss of Phillips would be a MAJOR downgrade for the Broncos.

Musgrave was calling plays right? I personally was impressed from the games I saw and the offense was obviously really good. So on the surface I would assume he did a decent job, but y'all would know much better of course.

I did see Del Rio fire a couple shots at him recently.

There were a few instances where JDR and even Carr voiced their frustration with some of the offensive calls/designs. Musgrave was calling plays a lot of the time, but Carr was very active throughout the year calling audibles/yelling things out at the LOS. Also I believe hearing Carr was mostly responsible for calls late in the game when we were down and had to run the hurry up (when our O was at it's best tbh).

Musgrave can design a good offense and put most players in a position to succeed. However it is his play-calling that is his downfall. Too conservative, abandoned the run far too often, shyed away from Cooper for the 2nd half of the year, the O alllllways started off cold, etc. You could definitely do worse at OC than Bill, but you can definitely do better.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: