Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent Hopefuls...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Free Agent Hopefuls... Reply with quote

We should have a bit of change to spend this offseason, especially with the (hopeful) release of Haloti Ngata. Who are your biggest targets?

Mine?

1. DE Jason Pierre Paul is my number 1. He's equally good against the run as he is the pass and his club hand hasn't effected his pass rush. Luckily, he plays from the opposite spot as Ansah, so he wouldn't be losing any comfort. And I don't buy the "Injury Prone" label. The guy blew his hand off and had a sports hernia. Both freak accidents. If I were to offer him a contract to get him to come here, I would probably throw out a similar deal to Olivier Vernon's 5 year 85M. He's that good and that much of a difference maker. He would hands down make our pass rush so much better. Can't do much after this contract, however.

2. DT Nick Fairley is my second hopeful. I doubt he leaves Louisiana, but if we could convince him to come back to Detroit, I'd be excited. He's grown and matured a ton since we let him walk after his rookie deal and he became consistently one of the best interior pass rushers in the NFL. He still leaves a lot to be desired in the run game, but A'Shawn starting next to him could help swallow the double teams and give Nick a better advantage against it.

3. CB Stephon Gilmore would be awesome to have across Slay. Obviously Trumaine Johnson or AJ Bouye would be preferred, but they are both going to get huge contracts on par with Janoris Jenkins. I bet we can bring in Gilmore if we wanted for about the same price Slay got. Having Slay and Gilmore protecting the boundaries every down for the next 4 years at a high level would be huge to future success. We still need a pass rush to help them out, but this would be a great start.

4. LB Barkevious Mingo.... Going out on a limb with this one, but I think he would be an asset at OLB opposite Levy on our team with our circumstances. He's very solid against the run. That's never been doubted. He can shed blocks and get to the ball carrier. However, he's been underwhelming at rushing the passer and I think if we take that pressure off of him, he'd be able to do what he's currently better at and that's protecting the run and even backing up in coverage (which I think he's extremely underrated at). I think Detroit would be a good fresh start with him where he can make a name for himself the same way Chris Houston and Rob Sims did.

Few other guys I'd like to wear Honolulu Blue:

TE Anthony Fasano - one of the best blocking TE's in the league.. and would allow Ebron to line up in the slot more.
WR Kamar Aiken - down year so should be cheap. Would be a good 4th WR on the depth chart.
DE Charles Johnson - Would also be a great starter opposite Ziggy
DT Karl Klug - Really good all around DT.
LB Zach Brown
LB Kevin Minter
LB Kiko Alonso
(RFA)
CB Prince Amukamara
CB Morris Claiborne
CB Dre Kirkpatrick

Obviously we don't have the money for all 4 of them (Mingo would be super affordable), but those are my top 4 targets I would go after. If we could combine 3 of the 4 and have a successful draft, I think we are looking at a totally new defense.

Your turn.

Last edited by LionsFTW on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Warford and Reiff count?
All hail Nnivolcm.

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Do Warford and Reiff count?

No. We have to resign them. We can't keep letting our draft picks go after their rookie contract is done. Great teams keep their young talent through at least a second contract.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 4

1. DeSean Jackson- our deep playmaker/kick/punt returner him on ford field wow

2. Dontari Poe(havent seen anything that shows he signed an extension) if he did sign then i change to Bennie Logan

3. Donítía Hightower(same thing as Poe)

4. Stephon Gilmore/Dre Kirkpatrick/Prince Amukamara/Trumaine Johnson a top flight cb to pair with slay
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Eric Berry, SS, Kansas City Chiefs
2.) Stephon Gilmore, CB, Buffalo Bills
3.) Chandler Jones, DE, New Englad Patriots
4.) Jason Pierre Paul, DE, New York Giants
5.) Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
6.) Dontari Poe, DT, Kansas City Chiefs
7.) Nick Fairley, DT, New Orleans Saints
8.) Michael Brockers, DT, Los Angeles Rams
9.) A.J. Bouye, CB, Houston Texans
10.) Kevin Zietler, G, Cincinnati Bengals
dmudd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only one year but A.J is my top corner. I like Gilmore but hear he has been pretty bad maybe a new scene could be his turn around. Read he was getting burnt every game.

Articles on Gilmore

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/26431/bills-would-be-wise-to-let-stumbling-stephon-gilmore-walk-in-2017

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/stephon-gilmore-quickly-digging-himself-120012660.html
SimsZilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Delmas26 wrote:
doesn't he play for the cards?

Thanks to CalhounLambeau for the sig!

AAL MATTHEW STAFFORD
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimsZilla wrote:
Louis Delmas26 wrote:
doesn't he play for the cards?

Yes hahahaha my bad
Jrugges

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeíVeon Bell. RB
Martellus Bennett. TE
Andre Smith. OT
Dontari Poe. DT
Stephen Gilmore. CB
Trumaine Johnson. CB
Dre Kirkpatrick. CB
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people like Dontari Poe? He's great, don't get me wrong... but he brings nothing to the table in terms of pass rush similar to A'Shawn. We need a guy who can disrupt the quarterback up the middle so he can't step up in the pocket when Ziggy hits the edge.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Why do people like Dontari Poe? He's great, don't get me wrong... but he brings nothing to the table in terms of pass rush similar to A'Shawn. We need a guy who can disrupt the quarterback up the middle so he can't step up in the pocket when Ziggy hits the edge.

Just a personal preference for me really I like two big DT's who stop the run, allow LB'ers to flow and move the line of scrimmage with two DE's who can rush well from the edge. I would love signing Poe and drafting a guy like Taco Charlton or signing another top notch edge rusher to pair with Ziggy. I would like to sign Kerry Hyder too because he was our best interior pass rusher this year, I think Zettel can be Hyder 2.0 but it'd be better to have both.

Poe also had a 6 sack season, he might have better luck in a 4-3 situation than a 3-4 NT as a pass rusher. He's my ideal replacement for Haloti Ngata.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Just a personal preference for me really I like two big DT's who stop the run, allow LB'ers to flow and move the line of scrimmage with two DE's who can rush well from the edge. I would love signing Poe and drafting a guy like Taco Charlton or signing another top notch edge rusher to pair with Ziggy. I would like to sign Kerry Hyder too because he was our best interior pass rusher this year, I think Zettel can be Hyder 2.0 but it'd be better to have both.

Poe also had a 6 sack season, he might have better luck in a 4-3 situation than a 3-4 NT as a pass rusher. He's my ideal replacement for Haloti Ngata.

A'Shawn, imo, is the ideal replacement for Ngata... and the reason we drafted him. Anybody have any stats of how our defense looked with both Ngata and A'Shawn on the field at the same time? I'm curious at how we looked in that set in the run vs the pass.
dmudd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornelius Washington
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually do have the money to go after the 4 players on your list

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Smack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I'd like Eric Berry but I don't see the Lions suddenly landing one of the star veterans of the league. When have they ever done that? So here are some moves that I hope could happen, in no particular order.

CB Logan Ryan
G T.J. Lang
LB Sio Moore
QB Landry Jones
S Brynden Trawick
T Menelik Watson

Of all the big-name moves they could make, I wish they would get Alshon Jeffrey. We're losing Boldin and stealing Jeffrey from Chicago would be sweet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: