You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What positional needs should be addressed where?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
I don't know, considering we have Hicks and Goldman and just drafted Bullard early who hasn't gotten a chance to develop, drafting a DL at #3 seems like a luxury pick that we can't afford. I could see going with Garrett if he's there because he's such a supreme talent and we could definitely use more outside rush, but I do really think that going for a guy like Calais Campbell as a stopgap at DE and taking a QB is a better idea. I'd take Hooker at 3 before Allen as well, probably.

When you have a pretty solid positional group, its hard to justify adding to that early in the draft instead of trying to fix the group or position that is a complete [inappropriate/removed]

I've always liked Campbell but he doesn't seem like a Ryan Pace value kind of signing. I mainly say this because he will be 31 years old by the time the 2017 season starts. Smart money says you should not be investing large amounts of dollars in guys who will be reaching their 3rd contract term.

Some upcoming FA's that would intrigue me instead to play d-line for the Bears next season are guys like Kawann Short, Jonathan Hankins and Bennie Logan.

I think I'm firmly on the QB/Garrett at #3 or trade down train.

None of those guys are particularly good fits for DE in fangio's 3-4, though.

I don't know that I'd agree with that. This is the same Fangio who had Glenn Dorsey on his line in San Fran.

Why do you think they aren't good fits?

Dorsey played nose. These guys aren't long enough for DE. Kawaan Short has long arms that may make up for being 6'2, but Fangio seems to prefer longer DE that can use their size and arm length to get better leverage on the interior lineman.

Will Sutton played nose here... Fangio doesn't require length there, but at the 5T your arms had better be at least 33.5" or so.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Fairley could be a decent signing as well. Not an Akiem Hicks level guy but would be a good fit in the system and would be an upgrade over Unrein. He had some run ins with the law but it appears he's been relatively clean since 2012.
gah112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Bears can pass on an elite talent at any position other than RB. If there is a group of elite players in this draft, the Bears need to be picking from it.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we are in a position where we have to sign as much quality starting talent in FA as we can then add as much starting quality talent we can in the draft...forget getting certain positions in one or the other...we should be in on everyone who is a high quality player.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
I don't know, considering we have Hicks and Goldman and just drafted Bullard early who hasn't gotten a chance to develop, drafting a DL at #3 seems like a luxury pick that we can't afford. I could see going with Garrett if he's there because he's such a supreme talent and we could definitely use more outside rush, but I do really think that going for a guy like Calais Campbell as a stopgap at DE and taking a QB is a better idea. I'd take Hooker at 3 before Allen as well, probably.

When you have a pretty solid positional group, its hard to justify adding to that early in the draft instead of trying to fix the group or position that is a complete [inappropriate/removed]

I've always liked Campbell but he doesn't seem like a Ryan Pace value kind of signing. I mainly say this because he will be 31 years old by the time the 2017 season starts. Smart money says you should not be investing large amounts of dollars in guys who will be reaching their 3rd contract term.

Some upcoming FA's that would intrigue me instead to play d-line for the Bears next season are guys like Kawann Short, Jonathan Hankins and Bennie Logan.

I don't know that I'd agree with that. This is the same Fangio who had Glenn Dorsey on his line in San Fran.

Dorsey played nose. These guys aren't long enough for DE. Kawaan Short has long arms that may make up for being 6'2, but Fangio seems to prefer longer DE that can use their size and arm length to get better leverage on the interior lineman.

Will Sutton played nose here... Fangio doesn't require length there, but at the 5T your arms had better be at least 33.5" or so.

Then plug them in at NT and kick Goldman to 5T. He has perfect length for there. I'd include Fairley as well.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
G08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

Then plug them in at NT and kick Goldman to 5T. He has perfect length for there. I'd include Fairley as well.

I wouldn't mind Fairley at all, but isn't he a 'bad character' dude that Pace avoids like the plague?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we really wanted a dominant DL we would move Goldman to DE and go hard after Brandon Williams from the Ravens...that dude is a beast against the run...Johnathan Hankins is another guy who would make a lot of sense.
Bearsfancro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
If we really wanted a dominant DL we would move Goldman to DE and go hard after Brandon Williams from the Ravens...that dude is a beast against the run...Johnathan Hankins is another guy who would make a lot of sense.

CB Bouye
SS Jefferson
OT Wagner
DL Williams
WR Jeffery
QB Hoyer

And then they are set for draft where they can go for example (if Trubisky is gone):
1. Trade down to Jets for their 2nd rd pick and take with #6 Hooker
2. Trade up to get QB who is falling at the end of the first round (Watson/Mahomes (they give the Jets 2nd rd pick and 4th rd from 2018))
3. With the pick in 2nd round, they draft best TE who is there (Hodges/Howard)

That in my opinion would win the Offseason and the draft for the Bears...
Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

I wouldn't mind Fairley at all, but isn't he a 'bad character' dude that Pace avoids like the plague?

Depends on how major a factor past acts were compared to how long he has been "walking the line." He got into some trouble in 2012 with misdemeanors but IIRC he hasn't had an issue since. So he has 4+ years straight of not damaging his reputation or embarrassing his team. I don't think there has been word of him being a bad teammate either. Sean Payton was pretty open about liking his effort and wanting to sign him too.

TankWilliams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

Depends on how major a factor past acts were compared to how long he has been "walking the line." He got into some trouble in 2012 with misdemeanors but IIRC he hasn't had an issue since. So he has 4+ years straight of not damaging his reputation or embarrassing his team. I don't think there has been word of him being a bad teammate either. Sean Payton was pretty open about liking his effort and wanting to sign him too.

Agreed. I also think Pace and Fox will be slightly more lax on that rule of his since his job is on the line.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears need to spend big in free agency.

There is a good chance the 3rd pick is going to be a QB that doesn't have an instant impact.

Need to fill an additional hole to offset.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The Bears need to spend big in free agency.

There is a good chance the 3rd pick is going to be a QB that doesn't have an instant impact.

Need to fill an additional hole to offset.

Regardless of who the QB is we have some glaring holes to tend to. We need to spend big to fill those holes and and hopefully get a solid team throughout the entire line-up . In a year or two I am hoping holes will be filled so that draftpicks not performing well immediately will not be a crippling issue. That is when Pace can truly go BPA in the draft.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports the Rams have been expected to let Jeff "Fisher guys" like Kenny Britt and CB Trumaine Johnson leave in free agency.

Robinson did add the plan could change depending on what the new coaching staff wants to do. Both Britt and Johnson are the best the Rams currently have to offer at their positions, although in Britt's case that may say more about the offense than him. That said, Britt will receive plenty of interest if he hits the open market, and he has already been linked with the Redskins. Britt is coming off the first 1,000-yard season of his career.

Would be very interesting if he hits the open market...if he does along with Gilmour & Bouye and some solid under the radar options combined with this CB draft class it should be fairly easy to find two new starting CBs.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports the Rams have been expected to let Jeff "Fisher guys" like Kenny Britt and CB Trumaine Johnson leave in free agency.

Robinson did add the plan could change depending on what the new coaching staff wants to do. Both Britt and Johnson are the best the Rams currently have to offer at their positions, although in Britt's case that may say more about the offense than him. That said, Britt will receive plenty of interest if he hits the open market, and he has already been linked with the Redskins. Britt is coming off the first 1,000-yard season of his career.

Would be very interesting if he hits the open market...if he does along with Gilmour & Bouye and some solid under the radar options combined with this CB draft class it should be fairly easy to find two new starting CBs.

If I had to guess I would say that we sign one of the top corners in FA and then draft another one in round 2-3. If Tracy Porter ends up being one of our starting boundary corners next year I'm OK with that. He is the least of my concerns in our secondary. Especially if were able to put a stud on the opposite side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:

If I had to guess I would say that we sign one of the top corners in FA and then draft another one in round 2-3. If Tracy Porter ends up being one of our starting boundary corners next year I'm OK with that. He is the least of my concerns in our secondary. Especially if were able to put a stud on the opposite side.
The worst thing the Bears could do is sign a qb at the third pick. We need to have an impenetrable defensive line.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: