Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What positional needs should be addressed where?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What positional needs should be addressed where? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
My question is this: where should we address each position of need as listed below, Free Agency, Draft, or Trade?

1. QB Draft
2. TE Draft
3. OL Free Agency
4. DL Free Agency
5. OLB Draft
6. CB Draft AND Free Agency
7. S Free Agency first, Draft if we couldn't land our guy

I'm on the exact same boat.

I want us to spend to get playmakers for CB especially. I would be fine with the top two targets being 2 of the top CBs for free agency. Of course Gilmore and Bouye would be expensive, but that is an incredible do on would provide the talent influx we need to make a major jump on defense, plus remove the need in the draft for it. Then Fuller competes at safety, so there is talent added there as well.

I think we can overpay for one corner, but I can't see us landing two unfortunately. Suppose we get Bouye...

CB1 - Bouye
CB2 - battle among Porter/Fuller/Hall
CB3 - battle between Callahan/Le'Blanc

Huh. I wonder what I do with the rookie in the scenario above... maybe we don't go after a corner in free agency, or we draft a safety in round 2 instead?

CB1 - battle among Porter/Fuller/Hall
CB2 - Rookie
CB3 - battle between Callahan/Le'Blanc

I think Porter is done. I'd rather try a tier 2 guy like Amukamara before relying on Porter.

I'd go

1- Bouye
2- Amukamara
NB - Callahan/LeBlanc
FS - Baker (he came to mind and might be available)
SS - Fuller/Amos

That is assuming I can't get Jefferson at SS. Fuller would be the number 2 if we only got one CB and if we didn't get any CBs in free agency I'd have to go with your scenario.

Damn well better have hit up some other defensive free agency though. Lol

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What positional needs should be addressed where? Reply with quote

Blaize4488 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
Ok, so I figured I would create a new thread on this. We have plenty of needs, but also only so much ammunition to cover them all. My question is this: where should we address each position of need as listed below, Free Agency, Draft, or Trade?

1. QB
2. TE
3. OL
4. DL
5. OLB
6. CB
7. S

Imo,

QB- FA (Taylor) and and draft (Mahomes)2nd round or trade into late 1st
TE-3rd Round (Legget,Butt)
OL-FA(Wagner) and mid to late round pick
DL-1st round (Allen or Thomas) assuming Garrett is gone
OLB-mid round depth pick and internal(Roy Robertson-Harris)
CB- FA HEAVY. Gilmore and Bouye with hope of Leblanc or Hall developing
S-FA (Berry or Jefferson) and internal (Fuller move)

This has pretty much been my ideal off-season. Yessir!

G08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah
‏@MoveTheSticks
This draft has the deepest/most talented group of CBs I've seen in several years. Also, loaded with edge rushers, safeties, RBs and TEs.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allows 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah
‏@MoveTheSticks
This draft has the deepest/most talented group of CBs I've seen in several years. Also, loaded with edge rushers, safeties, RBs and TEs.

I still would love to pair Foreman with Howard. Absolutely ruthless runners to pound the ball.

G08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah
‏@MoveTheSticks

I still would love to pair Foreman with Howard. Absolutely ruthless runners to pound the ball.

If I can get out of this draft with a top tier QB, CB, FS, and TE, I'll streak at Bears' training camp.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah
‏@MoveTheSticks

If I can get out of this draft with a top tier QB, CB, FS, and TE, I'll streak at Bears' training camp.

Bear down while bare a**ed. Lol

RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB - Free agency/trade. I'm kind of on the Garoppolo bandwagon at the minute...
TE - Draft, perfectly happy with Miller as the starter but depth is really bad
OL - Draft, mid to late round pick too. Way more pressing needs than all of the OL first
DL - Draft, early pick
OLB - Draft, mid round pick to add depth
CB - FA, biggest non-QB need, go hard here in FA. I'd be drafting one in top 3 rounds too ideally, but think a healthy Callahan and Hall in 2017 would be a big help anyway
S - FA and draft, two new starters would be ideal
2016 Adopt-a-Bear: WR #13 Kevin White
Receptions: 19 || Yards: 187 || TDs: 0
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, considering we have Hicks and Goldman and just drafted Bullard early who hasn't gotten a chance to develop, drafting a DL at #3 seems like a luxury pick that we can't afford. I could see going with Garrett if he's there because he's such a supreme talent and we could definitely use more outside rush, but I do really think that going for a guy like Calais Campbell as a stopgap at DE and taking a QB is a better idea. I'd take Hooker at 3 before Allen as well, probably.

When you have a pretty solid positional group, its hard to justify adding to that early in the draft instead of trying to fix the group or position that is a complete [inappropriate/removed]
G08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
I don't know, considering we have Hicks and Goldman and just drafted Bullard early who hasn't gotten a chance to develop, drafting a DL at #3 seems like a luxury pick that we can't afford. I could see going with Garrett if he's there because he's such a supreme talent and we could definitely use more outside rush, but I do really think that going for a guy like Calais Campbell as a stopgap at DE and taking a QB is a better idea. I'd take Hooker at 3 before Allen as well, probably.

When you have a pretty solid positional group, its hard to justify adding to that early in the draft instead of trying to fix the group or position that is a complete [inappropriate/removed]

I have a feeling the Bills will want Watson, so if we want him it will have to be at 3 or in a trade down.

Waiting for this draft is going to be torture because all the dominoes are going to fall once we figure out what we are doing at QB.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh Starters

CB
S
OT

Sign Depth

WR
ILB

Draft

1. QB
2. S
3. TE
4. CB
4. DE
5. OLB
7. OT
gah112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RidiculousJames wrote:
QB - Free agency/trade. I'm kind of on the Garoppolo bandwagon at the minute...
TE - Draft, perfectly happy with Miller as the starter but depth is really bad
OL - Draft, mid to late round pick too. Way more pressing needs than all of the OL first
DL - Draft, early pick
OLB - Draft, mid round pick to add depth
CB - FA, biggest non-QB need, go hard here in FA. I'd be drafting one in top 3 rounds too ideally, but think a healthy Callahan and Hall in 2017 would be a big help anyway
S - FA and draft, two new starters would be ideal

I pretty much agree with this.

I'd prefer our draft to include the following:

1 QB
1 5T/OLB
1 RB
2 CB
1 TE
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:

I've always liked Campbell but he doesn't seem like a Ryan Pace value kind of signing. I mainly say this because he will be 31 years old by the time the 2017 season starts. Smart money says you should not be investing large amounts of dollars in guys who will be reaching their 3rd contract term.

Some upcoming FA's that would intrigue me instead to play d-line for the Bears next season are guys like Kawann Short, Jonathan Hankins and Bennie Logan.

I think I'm firmly on the QB/Garrett at #3 or trade down train.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

I've always liked Campbell but he doesn't seem like a Ryan Pace value kind of signing. I mainly say this because he will be 31 years old by the time the 2017 season starts. Smart money says you should not be investing large amounts of dollars in guys who will be reaching their 3rd contract term.

Some upcoming FA's that would intrigue me instead to play d-line for the Bears next season are guys like Kawann Short, Jonathan Hankins and Bennie Logan.

None of those guys are particularly good fits for DE in fangio's 3-4, though.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

I don't know that I'd agree with that. This is the same Fangio who had Glenn Dorsey on his line in San Fran.

Why do you think they aren't good fits?
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

I don't know that I'd agree with that. This is the same Fangio who had Glenn Dorsey on his line in San Fran.

Why do you think they aren't good fits?

Dorsey played nose. These guys aren't long enough for DE. Kawaan Short has long arms that may make up for being 6'2, but Fangio seems to prefer longer DE that can use their size and arm length to get better leverage on the interior lineman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: