Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: 2017 Free Agency Reply with quote

New offseason, new thread.

Let's start with our own FAs.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/08/raiders-free-agency-derek-carr-extension-will-determine-who-stays-who-goes/

The breakdown.

Malcolm Smith (WLB): He was one of the major problem for our D throughout the year. There's no reason to bring him back since we badly need an upgrade there and we already have Cory James for depth purpose on a cheap rookie contract. Gone

Nate Allen (S): He looked alright when he had to play. If he's cheap and is fine with his backup role, i guess we can bring him back for one more year or at least through training camp. Whatever

D.J.Hayden (CB): I wanted DJ to succeed so bad but it's just not happening. We have to move on and bring a rookie to develop in his spot. Carrie will do as the #3 CB for 2017. Gone

Matt McGloin (QB): He basically said he's leaving. Gone

Andre Holmes (WR): I know he's a very good STer but we're not gonna keep paying a whole bunch of guys just to cover kicks. This role is gonna go to a cheaper guy. Gone

Menelik Watson (OT): He has played 27 games in 4 years and he'll be 29 next season. I think we should stop wasting our time hoping on what he could become. Gone

Jon Condo (LS): Bring him back, he's good. Re-signed

Brynden Trawick (S): He's a good STer and played surprisingly well the last 2 weeks. Should be cheap. Re-signed

Perry Riley (MLB): This one is more tricky. He's the best LB we have but there are some players who could be an upgrade scheduled to hit FA (Zach Brown, Kevin Minter...). I'd try to go that way first and if we can't land them, bring Riley back. ?

Daren Bates (LB): For the vet minimum, i'd get him into camp. Hopefully, some younger guy who can actually play defense to go with ST pushes him out of a roster spot in the end. Re-signed

Denico Autry (DE) - RFA: He played way too much and shouldn't be more than a role player but he flashed at times. We have the opportunity to bring him back for one year and we should do it. Tendered

Latavius Murray (RB): I know most people want him gone but i think we should bring him back on a team friendly deal (3 or 4 years at 4M/Y). If we find a replacement in the draft, we cut him next year. Re-signed

Mychal Rivera (TE): What do we need him for? Depth should be upgraded. Gone

Stacy McGee (DT): I think Latham should fill his backup role. McGee won't be a good enough starter anyway.Gone

Gabe Holmes (TE), Seth Roberts (WR), SaQwan Edwards (CB) - ERFA: Tender the 3 and let them compete for depth spots. They're cheap.

Last edited by oakdb36 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely resign Riley, and honestly, though most are against it, I'd resign Watson as well. At this point he can't demand big money and plays well at RT when healthy. Even if it's only a one year prove it deal.

I'd like to see McGee retained as well
Rolni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm Smith was a liability. Let him leave.

Nate Allen was good on ST and played well late in the season in the place of Karl. If he is not asking for starter money we should keep him IMO. If we let Nelson go, he could be the veteran guy in the group. If we were to go after a top SS in FA then he should be let go.

D.J. Hayden is not a good CB, but a good a yellow flag magnet. Let him leave.

Matt McGloin will leave and it's OK.

Andre Holmes is a really good ST player and a solid depth at WR. I would keep him.

Menelik Watson should get a prove it deal IMO.

Jon Condo should be back.

Bryanden Trawick should be back as ST player and SS depth.

Perry Riley Jr should be back IMO, since there won't be a clear upgrade in FA and we need some veeran guys with knowledge of the system.

Daren Bates should be back as ST and depth at least till TC.

Latavius Murray is the tricky stuff for me. I think he should be let go if he asks for big money and I believe he will ask for at least 4\year (which would be too much for my taste).

Mychal Rivera will leave IMO.

Stacy McGee could stay for a reasonable deal IMO.

I would keep every ERFA guy and Denico Autry on a 2nd round tender or original tender...
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Free Agency Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
New offseason, new thread.

Let's start with our own FAs.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/08/raiders-free-agency-derek-carr-extension-will-determine-who-stays-who-goes/

The breakdown.

Malcolm Smith (WLB): He was one of the major problem for our D throughout the year. There's no reason to bring him back since we badly need an upgrade there and we already have Cory James for depth purpose on a cheap rookie contract. Gone Gone, unless he takes the minimum for depth. He could, he is SC guy

Nate Allen (S): He looked alright when he had to play. If he's cheap and is fine with his backup role, i guess we can bring him back for one more year or at least through training camp. Whatever I'm take him back as a 3rd safety, for value of course

D.J.Hayden (CB): I wanted DJ to succeed so bad but it's just not happening. We have to move on and bring a rookie to develop in his spot. Carrie will do as the #3 CB for 2017. Gone Gone, need new blood

Matt McGloin (QB): He basically said he's leaving. Gone Gone

Andre Holmes (WR): I know he's a very good STer but we're not gonna keep paying a whole bunch of guys just to cover kicks. This role is gonna go to a cheaper guy. Gone I'll bring him back for cheap close to the minimum, but would look to upgrade in free agency

Menelik Watson (OT): He has played 27 games in 4 years and he'll be 29 next season. I think we should stop wasting our time hoping on what he could become. Gone Would only take him back if he accepts being a depth player, and takes back up player money.

Jon Condo (LS): Bring him back, he's good. Re-signed Agreed, on a one year deal

Brynden Trawick (S): He's a good STer and played surprisingly well the last 2 weeks. Should be cheap. Re-signed Agree

Perry Riley (MLB): This one is more tricky. He's the best LB we have but there are some players who could be an upgrade scheduled to hit FA (Zach Brown, Kevin Minter...). I'd try to go that way first and if we can't land them, bring Riley back. ? I'll try to upgrade, but bring him back if we can't land a free agent

Daren Bates (LB): For the vet minimum, i'd get him into camp. Hopefully, some younger guy who can actually play defense to go with ST pushes him out of a roster spot in the end. Re-signed Agree

Denico Autry (DE) - RFA: He played way too much and shouldn't be more than a role player but he flashed at times. We have the opportunity to bring him back for one year and we should do it. Tendered Agree

Latavius Murray (RB): I know most people want him gone but i think we should bring him back on a team friendly deal (3 or 4 years at 4M/Y). If we find a replacement in the draft, we cut him next year. Re-signed
Here is an idea, what if we franchise tag Murray. Bait a trade on draft day, if not we have the cap space to overpay him... This would allow us one more year before we address RB and can shift focus on defense and maybe a day 3 pick takes his spot.

Mychal Rivera (TE): What do we need him for? Depth should be upgraded. Gone Gone, even if I think he isn't bad as 3rd TE

Stacy McGee (DT): I think Latham should fill his backup role. McGee won't be a good enough starter anyway.Gone See Riley

Gabe Holmes (TE), Seth Roberts (WR), SaQwan Edwards (CB) - ERFA: Tender the 3 and let them compete for depth spots. They're cheap.
Agree
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have foundation pieces on all levels of our team, and have very skilled players at some of the harder positions to fill (QB, Passrush, CB, S, etc). However I think we need around 4 new starters in order to become a major SB threat consistently. Position I think we need an upgrade in no order are:

1. SS/FS: Depending on what the staff wants to do with Joseph, Nelson is still a good ballhawk but a liability in run support and pass coverage. We need an upgrade asap.

2. MLB/WLB: Far too often we would see TE's and RB's running open vs our LBers. I really like Riley and hope we keep him, but we need more competition and depth all over the LBing corp.

3.TE. I thought Walford was going to be a stud coming out of Miami. He was the well-rounded, big bodied TE this offense needed... or so we thought. He has been extremely inconsistent and underwhelming to this point in time and we may need to find an upgrade. Here's to hoping he produces in his third year.

4. Slot WR. Yes Roberts is an awesome run blocker and is known for being clutch, but he drops so many easy balls and is overall disappointing as a slot guy. We need a faster/agile guy in the slot to do damage underneath.

5. DT. It's no lie we have one of the weakest interiors in all of football. We get little to no push, and inconsistent run D. Williams has been a major let down.

6. CB. I like Amerson a lot, but Smith has been very meh. Often a liability vs faster WRs, he alone put us in some big holes early in games. We need to address the CB position for depth and a potential starter to push Smith.

7. RB. I think Murray bolts in FA tbh. He put up some solid stats and is good at the goalline, but overall he is not a spectacular runner whatsoever. If a team wants to overpay for his services, by all means take him. We need to get a bigger bellcow RB to pair with our smaller, shifty guys in Richard and Washington.

8. RT. Howard and Watson are a complete joke on the right side. Alexander was a decent surprise, but I dont trust him to start full-time going forward.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Murray is on the team for anything more than the vet minimum I won't be happy Laughing Laughing

Re-signing Murray is basically saying....hey, we don't need a dynamic running game. We're content being average to below average and if our QB is injured, we have no threat of a running game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
If Murray is on the team for anything more than the vet minimum I won't be happy Laughing Laughing

Re-signing Murray is basically saying....hey, we don't need a dynamic running game. We're content being average to below average and if our QB is injured, we have no threat of a running game.
or what if we see him as an ideal touchdown scorer and people see a little Charlie Garner in Richard and what his role expanded
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC4_Life wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

or what if we see him as an ideal touchdown scorer and people see a little Charlie Garner in Richard and what his role expanded

Then those people need to have their heads checked.

It's the same kind of thinking Raider fans have had for over a decade. They over value players "talent" in Oakland. That's why many expected big things on defense, but were disappointed. The talent sucks and was being over valued by fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Nope. It's saying if he leaves we have 2 small guys with 1 year of experience. We aren't sure they can produce if given a heavy workload through the course of a full season. Murray was one of the best pass blocking RB in the league this season, can produce at an average level, is playing a position that doesn't generate a hot market in FA which means reasonable contract and is familiar with the organization.
Obviously we could choose to make it a priority to find a RB in the draft and spend an early pick on the position. Personally, i'd rather adress another position early. We were 6th in the league in rushing yards so i think we could get by with the current group.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's wise to bring back Latavius. We've already made heavy investments in the offense. Hudson, Osemele are getting PAID at their positions. Crabtree has a decently sized contract. Carr is a year removed from a massive payday. Gabe will be a higher priority a year down the line than Murray is now. Penn only has 1 year left.

The offense will be fine and we can draft a short yardage back. A committee looks ideal anyway.
Heart of Oak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Free Agency Reply with quote

>Malcolm Smith (WLB): We should be able to pick up upgrades in the draft, is currently our third best LB and probably won't be looking for just vet min, so I would let him go - WALK
>Nate Allen (S): Trawick can do everything he does at a lower price imo. WALK
>D.J.Hayden (CB): Until the injury he was having an OK season, carving out a role as the slot guy which seemed to suit his talents. However, he doesn't really give us anything that Carrie does not so I would let him go. WALK
>Matt McGloin (QB): Wants to be a starter and that is not going to happen here. I also feel Cook has more potential to grow, so let him walk. WALK
>Andre Holmes (WR): Andre is one of the most underappreciated players on our roster. Not only is he a ST standout having downed punts inside the 5 on more than one occasion, but could even be our WR3 solution - Seth has the better highlight reel with explosive game-winning plays, but Andre is a nice steady player that moves the chains and gives us something different to Coop / Crab. I wouldn't be willing to give him a BIG contract, but at reasonable money is a guy I would want on my roster. KEEP
>Menelik Watson (OT): On the one hand, I am ready to move on as the dude cannot stay healthy, but at the same time he is the best RT we have on the roster at the moment. I would bring him back on a one year prove yourself deal - not prove your ability, but prove you can stay on the field. If we happen across a replacement who is as good or better in the offseason, then deal with that in training camp. KEEP
>Jon Condo (LS): Seabass and King are comfortable with him so bring him back. KEEP
>Brynden Trawick (S): Surprised as a back-up and has ST value so keep at team friendly price. KEEP
>Perry Riley (MLB): Perry improved our defense the day he stepped on the field. Not a world beater, but at the very least will serve as good depth or may still start and will not cost the earth. KEEP
>Daren Bates (LB): ST value - probably vet min or thereabouts. KEEP
>Denico Autry (DE) - RFA: Denico has out-performed his undrafted status, but a 2nd round tender is too much for what he offers (imho). WALK
>Latavius Murray (RB): I would love to bring back Murray on a 'decent' contract. However, given he has a 1000 yard season under his belt, he's been to the pro bowl, he has the third most rushing TDs in a season in franchise history and now Derek Carr has stated how much he would love to see Murray back, I fear his contract expectations will be pretty high - too much to make bringing him back viable as he is no Le'Veon Bell and we have two talented backs in Washington and Richard. If his requests are reasonable then bring him back, if not let him walk. WALK
>Mychal Rivera (TE): Holmes is a better 'big' receiver, Smith is a better blocker, Walford is a better all-round TE - let Rivera walk. WALK
>Stacy McGee (DT): Our interior D-line needs fresh blood. McGee when fit was one of the better guys this season, but we can do better and Latham probably replaces him 1 for 1. WALK
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you PFF lovers, here is a list of soon to be free agents, ranking them from highest 2016 grade to lowest.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
Beeznik04

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rather have Eddie Lacy than Murray.
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a weird feeling that if we let DJ Hayden go somewhere else he is going to ball out...and then we're all going to be like why didn't he do that here??

If he ever gets down locating the ball he'd be a great corner. I just see him being really good in another team's system.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
PSN: KDubBallin
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeznik04 wrote:
Would rather have Eddie Lacy than Murray.

Why?

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
PSN: KDubBallin

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: