Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Todd Downing expected to replace Bill Musgrave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chali21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Why is not retaining Musgrave being made synonymous with retaining Norton? Completely different situations. Also, not that I agree, but I could definitely see a situation where the players called for the retaining of Norton. They love him, and Bruce Irvin's tweets almost make it seem as if he was in on that discussion/decision

Agreed. Besides, they may be waiting to see what potential DCs are available before firing KNJ. I heard on ESPN this morning that Wade Phillips to Oakland is a possibility depending on who comes into Denver. No harm in holding onto KNJ, waiting to see if anything better is available, then making a move. If that's not the case and we are keeping KNJ, then IDK, but it really has nothing to do with Musgrave.

This is my thought as well, no point in firing the guy if you don't have a replacement available. The raiders have an OC in waiting but they don't have that guy on the defense. I mean say the Broncos keep WP then the raiders have to basically get another KNJ type.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Report floating around that we actually reached out to wade Phillips for a role on the staff

To add to this, it's looking like Vance Joseph is the next Bronco HC, and he said that he won't retain Wade Phillips
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Report floating around that we actually reached out to wade Phillips for a role on the staff

To add to this, it's looking like Vance Joseph is the next Bronco HC, and he said that he won't retain Wade Phillips

Amazing. I would be so pissed if I were a Broncos fan. The dude made your D historically good. Now you hire an unproven HC, and he wants to get rid of one of the best coordinators in the league? Hell yes as a Raiders fan.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Amazing. I would be so pissed if I were a Broncos fan. The dude made your D historically good. Now you hire an unproven HC, and he wants to get rid of one of the best coordinators in the league? Hell yes as a Raiders fan.

Might've been a false report Evil or Very Mad but it said that Joseph would promote the DB coach to DC.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Would love this, but let's be real. He's a DC and will be hired by a team to be one.

However, if they could get him on staff for his insight and to help develop KNJ that would be awesome. And you have someone to take over if KNJ stumbles early.

Wade will be 70. He's no spring chicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
Theres a reason why Del rio/norton didn't blitz, its cause the corners cant hang 1-1.

They still left our CBs 1 on 1 on many occasions without blitzing much. Do you remember how many times you've seen Amerson beat deep on a post this season? You know who should be right there on the post route? The FS. For some reason Nelson kept doubling the underneath routes when they switched the coverage to quarters early in the season. That left the CBs alone to deal with the outside WRs. At first i thought it was Nelson blowing his assignment but when it kept happening regularly, it had to be by design. Imo, it was due to their lack of confidence in the LBs coverage. What we need to do is get some LBs we can trust in coverage and a FS with range who can patrol the deep centerfield. That's more of a problem than our CBs.

this here
Big Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyHarry wrote:
Don't know if this has been said but Greg papa said Musgrave wanted to run more no huddle but JDR wanted to run the ball more and slow the game down

so he doesn't trust KNJ, but he brings him back. smh
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Might've been a false report Evil or Very Mad but it said that Joseph would promote the DB coach to DC.

The donkeys are dumber than I thought Laughing

Wade will have his pick of every available job in the league pretty much.

JDR does trust KNJ, but doesn't think we have the personal to run the system needed yet. Still in the building phase on defense.

~This is the year of "win close". Next year is "win big".
~IMO Reggie has a plan for how much he can spend. The 2-4 FA who sign may surprise us but they will make sense once we draft.

Last edited by NightTrainLane on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Would love this, but let's be real. He's a DC and will be hired by a team to be one.

However, if they could get him on staff for his insight and to help develop KNJ that would be awesome. And you have someone to take over if KNJ stumbles early.

I deal situation. Having Wade as a consultant would be huge
RaidersAreOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Not gonna happen. He is one of the better DC's in the entire league and there are numerous DC openings right now. I could see him maybe taking the DC here if he doesn't stay in Denver, but no way does he take a back seat and play the consulting role. He could, and will, do much better than that.

#JihadWard
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Not gonna happen. He is one of the better DC's in the entire league and there are numerous DC openings right now. I could see him maybe taking the DC here if he doesn't stay in Denver, but no way does he take a back seat and play the consulting role. He could, and will, do much better than that.

You never know. Wade could be looking to slow down at his age. Just a thought. None of us have any idea. This could be exactly what he is looking to do or exactly what he doesn't want. Time will tell what he wants because he is the next shoe to drop in for many teams.

~This is the year of "win close". Next year is "win big".
~IMO Reggie has a plan for how much he can spend. The 2-4 FA who sign may surprise us but they will make sense once we draft.
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Too bad it's rare to see a coach take a demotion. I would love to bring in Wade, keep KNJ around as the LB coach and let him work under Philips as the DC in waiting. It won't happen, but I'd feel a lot more confident in Norton in a couple years as the DC if he was under Wade for a couple seasons.

However I think the reports of Philips being a target is for DC. They just don't want to fire Norton Jr if they don't have a likely replacement and guy they feel confident is a sure fire upgrade. Because the truth is this defense has lacked talent and talent is 85% of what makes a coordinator look good. I won't give Norton a complete grade or write him off until we upgrade the LB core (and important part of the Seattle defense) and hopefully the secondary. He needs to take a step forward next season regardless. Hopefully we get Aldon back and MEJ can stay healthy. That would be a big plus.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
agarcia34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middlekauff saide Vance Joseph's first choice was gonna be Todd Downing for OC. Makes sense for Oakland to choose Downing over Musgrave
agarcia34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2m2 minutes ago
Todd Downing was going to have multiple options: Denver, Jax, NYJets - Raiders would have lost him. Del Rio picked him over Musgrave

RaidersAreOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agarcia34 wrote:
Quote:
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2m2 minutes ago
Todd Downing was going to have multiple options: Denver, Jax, NYJets - Raiders would have lost him. Del Rio picked him over Musgrave

And some fans are freaking out about us keeping Downing instead. It's a good move for us.

Word on the street is the Broncos are interviewing Musgrave for their OC position. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

#JihadWard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: