Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Todd Downing expected to replace Bill Musgrave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
One thing I liked about musgrave was that he was never going to be more than an OC which is nice because we never have to change coordinators. Downing however will probably get HC calls because of how successful the offense will be and we will have to start the process all over again. Confused

Honestly I'd rather we get a failed HC than an up and comer.

Downing has never called a play in the NFL and you are worried about losing him to a HC job? I'm glad you're not getting ahead of yourself.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
Theres a reason why Del rio/norton didn't blitz, its cause the corners cant hang 1-1.

They still left our CBs 1 on 1 on many occasions without blitzing much. Do you remember how many times you've seen Amerson beat deep on a post this season? You know who should be right there on the post route? The FS. For some reason Nelson kept doubling the underneath routes when they switched the coverage to quarters early in the season. That left the CBs alone to deal with the outside WRs. At first i thought it was Nelson blowing his assignment but when it kept happening regularly, it had to be by design. Imo, it was due to their lack of confidence in the LBs coverage. What we need to do is get some LBs we can trust in coverage and a FS with range who can patrol the deep centerfield. That's more of a problem than our CBs.
Synyster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Why is not retaining Musgrave being made synonymous with retaining Norton? Completely different situations. Also, not that I agree, but I could definitely see a situation where the players called for the retaining of Norton. They love him, and Bruce Irvin's tweets almost make it seem as if he was in on that discussion/decision

I couldn't care less what the D players think. Want your coach to stay? Stop playing like bums then.

You can't stop playing like a bum if you simply are one.
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this has been said but Greg papa said Musgrave wanted to run more no huddle but JDR wanted to run the ball more and slow the game down

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
Synyster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyHarry wrote:
Don't know if this has been said but Greg papa said Musgrave wanted to run more no huddle but JDR wanted to run the ball more and slow the game down

Why would you want our defense on the field more than they should be?
roi34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:

how could the defense be on the field more than they were? had like 7 three and oit's. If true I wanted more no huddle too.
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:

I'm glad I'm not an OC you can can never win. The other side of the coin is when we ran all I read was " put in the hands of your best player "" too conservative "

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/10/ten-things-to-know-about-new-raiders-offensive-coordinator-todd-downing/

Wasn't aware Downing and Tice were connected. Should bode well for Tice coming back

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say Norton needs more talent to work with, so he gets a pass....

Meanwhile when Musgrave had the talent and produced with it, see ya later buddy. Laughing Laughing
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
They say Norton needs more talent to work with, so he gets a pass....

Meanwhile when Musgrave had the talent and produced with it, see ya later buddy. Laughing Laughing

If Norton's contract had expired, he would be gone too.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report floating around that we actually reached out to wade Phillips for a role on the staff
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Why is not retaining Musgrave being made synonymous with retaining Norton? Completely different situations. Also, not that I agree, but I could definitely see a situation where the players called for the retaining of Norton. They love him, and Bruce Irvin's tweets almost make it seem as if he was in on that discussion/decision

Agreed. Besides, they may be waiting to see what potential DCs are available before firing KNJ. I heard on ESPN this morning that Wade Phillips to Oakland is a possibility depending on who comes into Denver. No harm in holding onto KNJ, waiting to see if anything better is available, then making a move. If that's not the case and we are keeping KNJ, then IDK, but it really has nothing to do with Musgrave.
Chali21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
One thing I liked about musgrave was that he was never going to be more than an OC which is nice because we never have to change coordinators. Downing however will probably get HC calls because of how successful the offense will be and we will have to start the process all over again. Confused

Honestly I'd rather we get a failed HC than an up and comer.

Downing has never called a play in the NFL and you are worried about losing him to a HC job? I'm glad you're not getting ahead of yourself.

If the offense is top ten he could get calls. I doubt it gets bad due to the amount of talent on offense. But if he's totally incompetent then we end up in the same spot, looking for a new OC.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense. It's a fact the team had blocked him from interviewing for several OC jobs, meaning he has attracted some attention from around the league. Because of that, plus the promotion, I'm assuming the team has seen a lot of things they like from him thus far. Knowing how the coaching heirarchy works, it is very possible that he has had a lot of great ideas but was unable to challenge Musgrave due to his position. He knows all the players and I'm guessing any changes to the playbook, formations, language, etc. will be less severe than had we brought in an OC from outside.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musgrave looking to be the next Cal head coach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: